Japan Receives Red DSi XL in Honour of Mario's 25th Anniversary

Posted by James Newton

Limited edition console on the way

Yes, it's the 25th anniversary of Super Mario Bros., and even the most ardent plumbing fan might be getting just a little fed-up of the fanfare. Just show that person this upcoming Mario edition DSi XL and watch their face light up again, though.

Released in Japan on October 28th, the machine is of course in Mario-style red with classic icons emblazoned across its top cover.

There's currently no word on whether the machine will make it across to the Western hemisphere, but with Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe expected to follow-up Japan's 3DS announcement with news of its own in the near future, we'll let you know if and when we hear anything.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

jesao

jesao said:

Whereas here, we get an advert featuring Ant and/or Dec.

Nintend'oh!

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Me Want, So Badly.......
Too bad my DSi still Works, so I have no reason to get a New, unless something bad happens to it.....

Victoria

Victoria said:

Awww! I wish that was coming out here! My hubby's dropping hints that I'm getting a DSi XL for Christmas, and I was really hoping for a red one, anyway.

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

Man this sucks, there is NO WAY we are getting this in the US. When the original bright red DSi system was announced in Japan, I got my hopes up that it would be released here because I've wanted a system that's all-red like that since the original game boy (I ended up getting a black pocket for Christmas). You can imagine by disappointment to see the DS Lite red was just some plastic plate they put over the black unit.

Now this is even BETTER than the red DSi in Japan. Even though the 3DS is on the horizon, I'd still pick this thing up because I don't have any DSi right now, and it obviously looks sweet.

KiroX777

KiroX777 said:

my dsi was signed by mario himself at nintendo world during the smg2 launch so im fine :)

Iggy

Iggy said:

That dsi xl is badass to bad i allready have a dsi so no reason for me to buy it.

@13
So you got ur dsi signed by Miyamoto or a guy in a mario costume? If u got ur dsi signed by some random person in a custome ur dsi would be worth less that it was orignally.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I don't see what is so special. It's red with a couple outlined symbols on it. I love Mario games as much as the next guy, but this seems quite minimal and uninteresting. I wouldn't be surprised if the symbols rub off quickly.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I expect to see pirates do similar designs, or even better. On Ebay, I mean to say I'll see those.