These Gaming Figures are Great, But There's a Catch

Posted by James Newton

Japanese Wonder Festival shows off Nintendo treats

Japan, video games and figurines go together like bacon, lettuce and tomato, and here's a particularly tasty sandwich of gaming figures from the latest Japanese Wonder Festival.

Monster Hunter Tri fans are well-served as always, with series stalwart Rathalos roaring wildly, hunters in sets of Rathalos and Lagiacrus armours and an array of Felynes and Melynxes. A Gravity Suited Samus Aran and her energy-sucking Metroid nemesis, Midna from Zelda: Twilight Princess and upcoming Okamiden lead Chibiterasu also feature heavily, alongside plenty of other gaming greats.

The catch? Sold as so-called garage kits, these figurines are unpainted and in need of assembly, so be wary of importing these unless you possess a potent combination of talent and patience, but for those willing to put in the hours these are undoubtedly fine figures. Some of them are unreleased and they're all currently Japan-only, just to add two more obstacles to your possession of these miniature marvels.

Check out galleries of the figurines over at Kotaku and the rest at Tomopop.

[via kotaku.com, tomopop.com]

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

The Samus one is great...ditto Midna. I bet these are a lot of fun to assemble...to someone who know what s/he's doing.

wes008

wes008 said:

Given that I have no artistic skills, I will probably not be importing these :(

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

It's just too bad that these figures go for hundreds of dollars on eBay, if the prices were a bit more reasonable I'd jump at that Samus figure. So damn sexy...

Nintendophile

Nintendophile said:

I think they look pretty cool unpainted, as well. Then you can really see the impressive sculpt. If I got one, I'd probably leave it un-painted. lol.

Punny

Punny said:

I'm digging the fact that there's yet another Samus figure and a Midna one, yet I don't like the idea of having to paint them. There's also import costs.... The pictures are nice, though.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

"Sold as so-called garage kits, these figurines are unpainted and in need of assembly"
Sound like fun to do,but my house is not safe for any figurines.
dam those little kids

Iggy

Iggy said:

These would be sweet to get if i was artistic but im not so...

JohnWalrus

JohnWalrus said:

I would get the Samus one, but I'm not too good with things that require artistic talent. Maybe I should brush up with some paint-by-numbers...

iSonic

iSonic said:

Samus's legs look kinda odd...

Nonetheless these things are beauts. But seriously, they aren't even painted?! Lazy bums. :P

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

@iSonic , that's because of the way joints on these kind of figures work, to allow them to move in any direction so they are poseable.
These kind of figure/model construction sets are hugely popular in Japan - especially of Gundam and other mech manga series. I've done a few simpler sets myself, but never anything that required painting.

iSonic

iSonic said:

@Klapaucius
Oh. I didn't realize they where poseable. Well then that makes sense. If it weren't for the whole "painting" thing I might've considered one of these things someday!

Bloodysaber

Bloodysaber said:

Wonder what the size of the Rathalos model is... Bet I could sneak him into my 40k army as a Chaos Demon Lord if I could fit him on a base :D