EA Tagging DSiWare with Need For Speed: Nitro-X

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Graffiti and driving: a natural combination

EA unveiled several upcoming games yesterday during the their Studio Showcase press conference, and while most of the announcements were related to HD consoles, PC and iPhone, the company slipped in a little sumthin'-sumthin' for DSiWare.

Need for Speed: Nitro-X continues the Nintendo-exclusive spin-off series that started off on Wii and DS last November. Nitro took the series in a more arcade direction and were most notable for their "tagging" mechanic, which painted the track the colour of the one in first.

In addition to a career mode and four-player local multiplayer, the game will include 18 licensed cars to race across 16 tracks updated from the retail release. While it's still unclear whether Nitro-X will turn out like other retail-to-DSiWare releases like Gameloft's Asphalt 4 or EnjoyUp's Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ, both full cartridge games that went downloadable, we'd expect this one to stick close to its cousin in terms of content.

EA said Nitro-X is slated to arrive sometime this summer.

[via kotaku.com]

Oregano

Oregano said:

Did anyone buy the DS version?

I got the Wii version when it hit bargain bins...

thaantman

thaantman said:

why can't a new Nitro be released for wii. 16 tracks on a download version is more than the tracks that were released on nitro. come on ea make it happen Nitro X on wii

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

Did people still not get that there will never be any 3rd party online DSiWare?

ReddLionz

ReddLionz said:

Yeah, EA never puts online in their downloadable games. Pretty much every game on the AppStore, including the $7 ones, only have local stuff. Gameloft, on the other hand, has a ton of online games, on their Gameloft Live Service.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

The Wii version was pretty good but I don't own it anymore. Will this be the dsiware outing of the ds version?

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Never liked Nitro (thank god I rented it...), so I'm not falling for more garbage. Nitro was way too cartoony and the controls were pure rubbish, and I'll bet any money you like that this game is going to be an absolutely failure.

Imerion

Imerion said:

Nitro on Wii was fun, so I was actually thinking about buying the DS version of it. But if this comes along and is an updated version of that game, that would both save me some money and give me a better game. Sounds good. :) Also, hope it will have Single-Cart multiplayer.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I played both Nitro games and found both of them (especially DS) to be a little bland. The DS version had a lame drifting mechanic as well as unbalanced AI.