An In-Depth Look at Dive: The Medes Island Secret

Posted by Zach Kaplan

Designer dives into the game's details with dswii.es

Recently, DSWii.es sat down with José A. Giacomelli of Cosmonaut Games to talk about its upcoming WiiWare release, Dive: The Medes Island Secret. Among the topics discussed were the dynamics of a platformer based underwater, the length of gameplay (ten non-linear levels clocking in at an estimated total six hours), the graphical qualities of the game's environments and Cosmonaut Games itself.

The site is in Spanish, but if you aren't fluent, utilising an online translator you shouldn't have much trouble reading the interview.

[via dswii.es]

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

Judging by the interview, this game is definitely going on my list...

Non-linearity reminiscent of the Metroid series? Yes, please!

maka

maka said:

They said they were inspired by the old Spectrum game Scuba Dive :D One of my favorites when I was a kid! I'll be getting this one for sure...

Adam

Adam said:

"a platformer based underwater"

Nonsense. It isn't a platformer. If they called it an FPS, no one would be covering it as such. Sidescroller != platformer. There aren't even platforms for the sake of Pete.

accc

accc said:

^So then the underwater parts in Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country, etc. can't be considered platformers? Your concept of what a platformer is is screwed up, it's all about moving your character with timing and precision.

iAmThetot

iAmThetot said:

The argument over which this is an actual platformer aside, I think I'll be getting this one. Six hours of gameplay for a Wiiware game isn't too shabby these days.

vakama94

vakama94 said:

pretty good interview, now that i know they will be using the same engine as nyx quest, its definetly on my list, i hope the gameplay is good

shake_zula

shake_zula said:

Even though I usually have a distaste for non-linear gameplay, it would be pretty cool exploring the deep sea, and six hours doesn't sound like too much of a time sink. I'm definitely interested.

Moco_Loco

Moco_Loco said:

It sounds like they made sure it was challenging. I'm hoping the support from Over the Top helped them to make this game as well-balanced in difficulty as NyxQuest was.