New Super Mario Bros. Wii Twenty Years In The Making

Posted by

Well, not literally

Revelations afoot in the Iwata Asks interview for New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Toshihiko Nakago, currently the President of SRD2, reveals that Miyamoto’s dream of a multiplayer Mario was born during the development of Super Mario Bros. 3.

Ultimately hardware limitations scuppered the plan, leaving the team to step back their efforts and go with the inclusion of a multiplayer version of the original Mario Bros. instead. And once again, after attempts at multiplayer Super Mario World failed, the idea was put on the backburner for fifteen years until New Super Mario Bros. for the DS began development. Sadly, the idea was once more left out, and it seems the multiplayer Mario dream was destined never to come true.

In fact, the dream didn’t die and it's thanks to the combination of kansei and increased hardware power that eventually brought us a four-player New Super Mario Bros Wii. Whether the dream of throwing a Frisbee for a dog to catch goes back that many years, though, is a completely different story.

[via uk.wii.com]

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

I didn''t think there existed anything that could make SMB3 better, but there it is!

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Chris Buxton? I'm not sure if I've seen him around before (at least his real name).
EDIT: Ah ha! He's one of the new writers! Congrats, Chris. :)

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Wow, so this idea wasn't stolen from Little Big Planet. Silly PS3 fanboys! :P

Machu

Machu said:

For me, NSMBW is the pinnacle of pixel perfect jumping, and multi-player is where it shines the most. <3

I truly hope we see more 2D Mario's on Wii, but please, if there is.... change that horrible name! D:

said:

I just hope that we don't have to wait another 20 years for another 2D mario on consoles

JayArr

JayArr said:

Agree on the needed name change, Machu. NSMBW..... even abbreviated it's awful....

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

That's why NSMBWii is the greatest 2-D Mario ever. The more I play it, the more I love it

Nintendokid

Nintendokid said:

Miyamoto said that the new Mario game was Super Mario Ocean I wonder if it's just 3D but I did see some footage of Mario with an oxegon tank & a Chain Chomp with a Blooper.Do any of you guy's know any secret footage or pictures about Super Mario Ocean?

blank_user_1

blank_user_1 said:

@Odnetnin: Well, I don't get it.

As for the article, I don't believe it. Everybody knows the graphics could've been better (than the DS), and it certainly couldn't been done on the gamecube. Geez.

SuperMarioFan1995

SuperMarioFan1995 said:

What do you mean? The name is fine to me. :)

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

multiplayer is that complex on a nintendo system? cuz i believe i seen other multiplayer games play just fine not like your increasing the graphics or anything simply just another player on the screen dont see how that could be hard unless having more players needs to have the level design differently other then that i think it could had been done on the N64 for 4 player and 2 player for snes

just no excuse

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

to this days i´m very surprised nobody thought a multiplayer plataformer adventure, even all mario clones that 16-32 bit appeared; it´s a simple but impressive concept

Wolfo

Wolfo said:

Also i dreamed in past play with somebody Mario games... so nostalgic.

nintendoduffin

nintendoduffin said:

@BlackFira
The reason it couldn't be done on the SNES is because to have two players on the same screen the game either needs to be able to zoom out when the players are separated (which requires a higher resolution that was available then) or force them to stay close to each other which would have been detrimental to the game play.