Britain's Best Nintendo Gamer 2009 - Report!

Posted by James Newton

Who walked away with the crown?

Our UK readers will probably have seen our adverts for Britain's Best Nintendo Gamer a month or so ago - in fact, some of you may even have competed at a GAME or Gamestation store - but we left you hanging on who emerged from the competition victorious. Well, hang no more - all can be revealed!

Well, almost all. Sadly, because of an unavoidable delay to the Nintendo Life Express we missed the semifinals of the competition, but arrived in time to see the four finalists battling it out on World 1-6 of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, with the highest score deciding who would win a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Kyoto.

With some amazing abilities on display - perhaps even on a par with Nintendo's Super Skills trailer - it was a close-run thing, but the clear victor at the level's end was 19-year old Josh Stevens from Berkshire. For his skill and dexterity - as well as somehow knowing all the level's secrets despite the game not being available yet - Josh won a trip for five to Kyoto, home of Nintendo, as well as a limited edition black Wii console and every Nintendo first-party title for the next year! Everyone who got through to the semifinals also won a year's supply of Nintendo games, which adds up to an awful lot of gaming.

Nintendo Life sends its sincerest (although extremely belated) congratulations to Josh, and apologises for the unflattering picture attached to this news story. It does make you look like Corobo from Little King's Story though Josh, and that's no bad thing.

If you live in Europe, keep your eyes peeled on the Nintendo Channel for Wii as there's scheduled to be an official video report on the day itself, with radio DJ and Ninty News presenter Iain Lee reporting on the day alongside the voice of Mario himself, Mr Charles Martinet, so you can see some of Josh's super skills in action.

In fact, speaking of Mr Martinet, we got the chance to sit down and talk to him about Mario, his career and how he gets up in the morning (the answer: noisily) for the latest episode of the Nintendo Life podcast. Make sure you give it a listen, if just for the sound of a grown man speaking nonsense in a high-pitched voice. And Charles does some Mario impressions, too.

Jazzem

Jazzem said:

Shame I was away at uni at the time this was on, as I would've given the one in Swansea a go otherwise :(

MattL

MattL said:

Congrats to Josh. Some mighty fine prizes there. :)

I'll look forward to Iain Lee's nutty take on the event.

JayArr

JayArr said:

That was really nice of you to apologize for the picture with the awful goofy crown......you're a class act James.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Not getting an interview with Iain Lee was a bit remiss James, but I look forward to your presentation on the Nintendo Channel.

SILENTMOUNTAIN

SILENTMOUNTAIN said:

Hello Nintendo Life, i was in the finals, i got knocked out in the semi final stage tho, I came dressed as Propeller Mario, i expect you may have seen me :) , i think all 16 people who reached the final won every game for a year from nintendo which is awsome :)

cheers

chris cox

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Good job, James! :) Now you can officially say that you're better than every person in the world, including me! (Woot?)

SILENTMOUNTAIN

SILENTMOUNTAIN said:

Untitled

Untitled

couple of pics of me and my friends lol, Charles Martinet was crazy, and a really nice chap to meet,

blank_user_1

blank_user_1 said:

No need to apologize, I'd say. That there is a nerd basking in his glory before a trip to Nintendo HQ in the land of the Rising Sun. We all have dreams like that, right?

Stevie

Stevie said:

Nice pics SILENTMOUNTAIN, just one thing, why is Mario taller than Luigi :)

I see British Rail was as reliable as usual James, at least you got to meet the Martinetor, Congrats to the Josh the winner.

Mik

Mik said:

I just thought I'd say that I competed in this at the Oxford Street branch of Game. I got on the leaderboard for all four events, but didn't really do much. However, I met Josh Stevens as he was behind me in the queue, so we got talking. I had no idea he went on to win it!

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I missed the chance to chat with Charles when he was in Australia a couple of months ago :(

Glad you got to speak to him though James!

James

James said:

@Stevie - sadly the delay was due to a fatality on the line.

Mik and SilentMountain - thanks for popping by! I saw Mr Martinet sign your helmet, Propeller Mario - nice work!

Interesting final fact: Josh got to keep his crown, cape and sceptre, but the cinema had no carrier bags so he had to transport them in a binbag. Nice.

Stevie

Stevie said:

@Pro - Damn, I feel a bit bad now.

As for the interesting final fact, if I had won that competition I would have told them to forget the bag and proceeded to run round the streets of London with my king gear on.

Viral

Viral said:

...I'm trying to figure out where you could've participated for this...I was at Game recently and nothing...lol :) Last competition I entered at Game was Guitar Hero.

nintendidnt

nintendidnt said:

dude i saw you there, i was in the crowd a nintendovip.com invite
i think propellor mario guy was robbed the best fancy dress prize, you were dressed in an outfit from the new game and the whole event was to promote new super mario bros,
, no offence to the little kid who won
peace,, mat

Teeboy

Teeboy said:

I was a finalist at this event and am getting free games for a year which is awesome. Just to correct this article, the semi-finalists didn't win a black wii which is a shame.