Check Out Some Jet Set Radio Wii Concept Art

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Unseen 64 digs up material on the rejected title

Back in 2006, Kuju (now Headstrong Games) the development studio behind the Wii's House of the Dead: Overkill and Battalion Wars 2, liked Sega's Jet Set Radio series. They liked it so much back in 2006 that they tried to convince Sega to let them create a new entry in the graffiti-thon for Nintendo's then-upcoming little white box.

Sega's answer was, obviously, no dice. Simply not interested.

Unseen 64 has dug up some concept art that Headstrong created for their denied pitch, and you can check it out below.

It'd be nice if this project was brought back to life, as Headstrong has shown with Overkill that they can take a classic Sega franchise and create a worthy new entry. Jet Set is also known as one of the first console games to really put cel shading to use, which would be fitting for Wii since it wouldn't require the raw horsepower of a photorealistic title.

Sega did reapply for the trademark back in 2008, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a sequel is in development, just that they want to retain the trademark. Then again, it doesn't mean there isn't.

Direct link

[via unseen64.net]

Noire

Noire said:

Crud...I loved the first actually second JSR game when I took it for a spin on the Xbox years ago. It was a lot of fun to play and a lot of fun to watch. Shame this Wii project got the door slammed in its face...maybe someday. I'd buy it.

madgear

madgear said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! Stupid Sega! Jet Set Radio was awesome! Make it now.

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

How on earth did Sega not take to this idea! :(
It is a complete and utter common sense for a Jet Set Radio game to appear on the Wii.
The concept art fits in with the predecessors and Beat looks cool as ever. What a missed opportunity, eh. It would be in good hands with Kuju, I've my fingers crossed on the trademark.

Objection

Objection said:

I think that the success of Overkill in reviews and sales (they were decent) might prompt SEGA to give HSS a go. I sure hope so anyway.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Even more rejected concept art. I'm still sure that JSR is coming. Also, keep in mind: What other reason would they have to reject the art unless something was already in the works?

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

@ PhoenixSage: How would you play the first one on the XBox when it was only released on the DC? The XBox only had the second one.

On topic: I LOVE JSR! WHy did they have to cancel this? Why did this have to come to the light of day now? Bwah. My day's ruined. ^^

Popyman

Popyman said:

I've always wanted to play this series...That and the two Oddworld games were the only games that ever interested me on the first Xbox.

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

@Popyman ..., but don't forget Sega/ Smilebit's 'Panzer Dragoon Orta'! That was one super looking Xbox game. :)

Noire

Noire said:

@KeeperBvK: Magic.

Nah, it was a long time ago, so forgive me for being confused as to which JSR game I played. I knew I had played JSR, I guess I didn't think too hard about which one it was.

Anyways, I'd still buy this one if it were to come out, so yeah.

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

@15: Why haven't they burried Sonic yet? :P

I always wanted to play the first one. SEGA shattered my dreams yet again.

Hazuki

Hazuki said:

DAMN YOU SEGA...DAMN YOU!

Jet Set Radio is one of my favorite games ever : (

motang

motang said:

One of my fav games on the DC...too bad we ain't gonna get this on the Wii!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Man, that's too bad. I still have to play Jet Set Radio Future(just got it, but never got a chance to play it extensively yet), but a Wii version would've been nice. Still, we got de Blob, so I think that makes up for it I guess.:)

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Sega has clearly lost the plot .

I thought that was known for years already?

JimLad

JimLad said:

Played both console games, they are very good. Would love to see JSR Wii, with manual paint spraying like in the dreamcast version.

Kreegs07

Kreegs07 said:

Is this in any relation to Jet Grind Radio for the PS1 or what is the dreamcast?

Incognito_D

Incognito_D said:

Jet Set Radio and Future are 2 of my favourite games ever.

Sega... I am disappoint. If you're reading this, please reconsider.