Data East Arcade Classics Coming to Wii

Posted by Sean Aaron

Get ready for some arcade action!

The ESRB has a new listing that ought to make retro arcade fans very happy. It appears that someone is planning on bringing a collection of classic Data East games to the Wii. The IP is mostly owned by a Japanese mobile phone company called G-Mode, so it's likely another company has licensed the content.

The listing includes a sampling of game titles, amongst them Burger Time, Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja, Secret Agent and Caveman Ninja. No word on ratings board submission for other territories, but given these games were distributed world wide there's a good chance we'll see the collection in PAL territories and Japan.

Here's the full ESRB summary for your enjoyment:

This is a collection of classic arcade games covering several genres. Games include Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja, Burger Time, Caveman Ninja, Street Slam, Secret Agent and many others. Some games involve side-scrolling fighting action against dozens of enemy thugs, ninjas, and creatures. Characters occasionally use knives, guns, throwing stars, or grenades in the 2D-style combat. A few games depict brief splashes of blood when enemies get hit; one game depicts a shark that emits red blood when it gets harpooned.

The suggestive material represents the strongest pertinent content in the game: A puzzle game called Magical Drop III depicts female characters wearing provocative outfits that expose underwear and deep cleavage. When players score points or make successful combos, the background figures cheer or move in ways that cause their breasts to jiggle.

Thanks to Tony for catching this!

[via esrb.org]

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I would prefer it to come to VC but if you're a fan then it will work out cheaper to get the collection.

ReZon

ReZon said:

Maybe we'll start seeing some non-arcade Data East titles on the VC? (Shadowrun please)

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I also like VCA, but I'm not too picky as long as they do a good job of emulating them.

I've seen elsewhere that Majesco is the one who made the submission; hopefully they'll make a more formal announcement soon including what their plans are for this title overseas.

Golgo

Golgo said:

Mmmm...Burger Time. AKA Mr Wimpy, at least as it was ripped off on my old C64. Classic.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@Corbie: They don't have a full listing so both of those could well be in there, although Wikipedia indicates that Karnov is amongst several titles whose IP owners are unknown.

I fully expect Bump 'n' Jump to be on that list as well.

Now, if they also emulate some classic Data East pinball machines like Star Wars, that would be most excellent (I know I'm dreaming).

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Wasn't Karate Champ a Data East game as well? I can't remember. Good news either way Sean. I like the Data East stuff.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Just to fill up the comments here's a list of Data East arcade games courtesy of Wikipedia boo! hiss!

There's a number of games I hope will make it from there, but I should think Heavy Barrel, Burnin' Rubber and Chelnov will make the cut. And yes, Karate Champ is in there (so I guess I'm not missing out on International Karate for C64 on the VC if it's included!).

• Act-Fancer Cybernetick Hyper Weapon
  • Al Unser Jr.'s Turbo Racing
  • Bad Dudes VS. Dragon Ninja
  • Battle Wings (also known as B-WING or B-WINGS)
  • Bloody Wolf
  • Boogie Wings
  • Boomer Rang'r
  • BreakThru
  • Burgertime series
  • Burnin' Rubber (a.k.a. Bump 'n' Jump, Buggy Popper)
  • Captain America and the Avengers
  • Captain Silver
  • Caveman Games
  • Chelnov (also known as Atomic Runner)
  • China Town
  • Cobra Command (1984 interactive movie)
  • Cobra Command (1988 2D shooter)
  • Congo's Caper
  • The Cliffhanger: Edward Randy
  • Dark Legend (video game)
  • Dark Lord
  • Darwin 4078
  • Dashin' Desperados
  • Desert Assault (a.k.a. Desert Storm Gulf War in Europe, Thunder Zone in Japan)
  • Diet Go! Go!
  • Donald Land
  • Dragon Gun
  • Dunk Dream (a.k.a. Street Hoop and Street Slam)
  • Dunk Dream 95
  • Express Raider (a.k.a. Western Express)
  • Fighter's History
  • Fighter's History Dynamite (also known as Karnov's Revenge)
  • Fighter's History: Mizoguchi Kiki Ippatsu!
  • Fire Trap
  • Gate of Doom (a.k.a. Dark Seal)
  • Garyo Retsuden
  • Gondomania
  • Ghostlop (later renamed by G-Mode as Data East's Ghostlop)
  • Heavy Barrel
  • Heavy Smash
  • Hercules no Eikō series
  • High Seas Havoc (Captain Lang in Japan, Cap'N Havoc in Europe)
  • Hippodrome
  • Hop A Tic Tac Toe
  • Joe & Mac series
  • Kamikaze Cabbie
  • Karate Champ
  • Karnov
  • Last Mission Coin-op arcade & Commodore 64
  • Lemmings (Arcade prototype version)
  • Liberation
  • Lock 'n' Chase
  • Locked 'n Loaded
  • Mad Alien (a.k.a. Mad Rider, Highway Chase)
  • Magical Drop series
  • Metal Clash
  • Metal Max series
  • Midnight Resistance
  • Mutant Fighter (known as Death Blade for the Super Famicom)
  • Mysterious Stones
  • Night Slashers
  • Nitro Ball
  • Nail 'N' Scale
  • Oscar: Psycho-Nics (a.k.a. Psychonics Oscar)
  • OutRunners (North American Conversion For The Sega Genesis)
  • Panic! (Switch! in Japan)
  • Performan (パフォーマン)
  • Real Ghostbusters, The
  • Ring King
  • Road Avenger (arcade version, Road Blaster in Japan)
  • RoboCop
  • RoboCop 2
  • Scrum Try
  • Shackled
  • Shoot Out
  • Shadowrun
  • Side Pocket series
  • Sly Spy (Secret Agent in Japan and Sly Spy: Secret Agent in Europe)
  • Skull Fang Ku-u-ga Gaiden
  • Soccer League - Winner's Cup
  • Spin Master (known in Japan as Miracle Adventure (ミラクルアドベンチャー))
  • Stadium Hero series
  • Street Hoop
  • Suiko Enbu: Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty
  • Suiko Enbu: Fuun Saiki
  • Super Birdie Rush
  • Super Real Darwin
  • Tantei Jingūji Saburō series
  • Tattoo Assassins
  • Trio The Punch - Never Forget Me...
  • Tumblepop
  • Two Crude Dudes (also known as Crude Buster)
  • Vapor Trail: Hyper Offense Formation
  • Werewolf: The Last Warrior
  • Windjammers
  • Wizard Fire (a.k.a. Dark Seal II)
  • Wolf Fang
  • Zippy Bug
DamoAdmin

Damo said:

Two Crude Dudes/Crude Buster and Midnight Resistance would be great, although I have my Mega Drive versions to tide me over.

jhuhn

jhuhn said:

Remember that Data East filed a lawsuit on System 3 thinking that International Karate was a copyright on Karate Champ with its similiarities. But when it was taken to a higher level, the judge said that Data East cannot monopolize a sport such as karate and the lawsuit was lost.

Data East declared bankruptcy in 2003.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Real Ghostbusters and Captain America?

How come they get the license for these yet the publishers for VC games wouldn't?

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

This one caught my eye immediatly and while I would love to have Burgertime on my Wii menu, a collection like this is still pretty cool. Also I love Bad Dudes! G-mode still owns the rights to Data East's games but according to the ESRB Majesco is releasing the game. They must have worked out some kind of agreement.

Not sure if Wikipedia missed it but I believe Data East did have Super Burger Time as well. I'll check Gametap again to see if Super Burger time is from Data East.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Magical Drop III better have DIP switches in it. I don't want to stuck playing the "crappy" American/European version. No seriously, it is crappy. It is missing a gameplay mode, voice samples for the characters (instead going for the same 6 samples for the entire cast) and in story mode every character says the same thing.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@Tony, Wikipedia has an entry for

Bugertime series

so Super Burgertime is covered (I thought that game wasn't that great -- too big a graphical update for my taste).

@BassXO: could be when those arcade games came out that kind of licensing was a lot cheaper?

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

sweet. if Captain America and the Avengers is the same game i used to have by than name on my SNES, and it's on the collection, i'll be all over that. what an awesome beat-em-up.

ODOGG618

ODOGG618 said:

RING KING! PLEASE RING KING! Was it ever possible to "win" that game? Great arcade/bar game.

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

There are so many Data East games here on my Wii-sh list. I am a huge Midnight Resistance fan, going right back to it being the first game I ever completed (the brilliant Amiga conversion). The Megadrive did a fine job with the graphics, but was single player only and had trouble emulating the arcade's control. The 2 sticks on the GameCube controller may just be able to handle it.
Arcade Caveman Ninja (Joe & Mac) was superior to SNES version and Bad Dudes (Dragon Ninja) is a fun, jump across the top of a truck, 2-player fighter.
I would be interested to compare Bloody Wolf and Vigilante (linked with Irem) to the PC Engine versions.
Sadly, there is little chance for Robocop and Captain America and the Avengers for licensing reasons. Never say never, though.
I'm chuffed it is a compilation; I do like to have tangible, hard copy discs and boxes to build a physical/concrete games collection. (well, not literally concrete!) :)

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

@bro2dragons (comment 21)- If Arcade Captain America and the Avengers is on the collection you will be in luck , because it is the same game as the SNES version, but lots better. Graphically it is stronger, with better defined sprites and backgrounds which cover the whole screen (the SNES version had a black bar at the top of the screen for characters profile pics, lives & energy levels). The arcade cab could allow for 4 player games too, the SNES was only 2 players simultaneous.
On another note, Robocop 2 would be intriguing to play. I never played it, but reviews in old mags show that it had large chunky sprites and Harley Davidson motorbike chasing, as well as the usual side scrolling shooty bits.

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

I'd LOVE to see Burger Time hit the VCA!

We need support for the VCA, not retail releases!
VCA!
VCA!

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Argh, why on earth would they do this when the VCA is out there just waiting for a decent game or two? I certainly hope this retail release flops (and I expect it to), and they eventually learn that these compilations are akin to releasing double-albums (complete with a couple great songs and a whole lot of filler) when the world now gets its music in downloadable form on a per song basis; in other words, pretty damn stupid and pointless.

Also, that second paragraph from the ESRB means they could give Sexy Poker a much needed run for its money (shot).

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

oh man bad dudes such a cheesy game some of the worst text in a game with a ending that makes people say wtf

i would love it on vc or i'd buy this game for a good copy of the game

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

If this has to involve titles owned by G-mode, this list might give us an idea what pool of games this collection is working from. Of course, it's Wikipedia, so nothing's certain.

Why is this only coming to Wii? That seems like the weirdest system to release a collection of old arcade games on at this point. :P

marktheshark

marktheshark said:

I'm hoping that there'll be DIP switches & great emulation present in the collection. Otherwise, no purchase.

Digiki

Digiki said:

I had Caveman Games, I think I liked it enough, but could never figure out how to make a fire D:

Adamant

Adamant said:

Data East was a rather low-key developer. They had a number of good games on the reperoire, but outside of Burger Time and Bump'n Jump, they never realeased any big classics.

Still, this collection should absolutely be worth getting.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@Stuffgamer1: It's the perfect system to release a lot of old games on as there's a lot of older gamers using it who skipped the last console generation or casual gamers (there's that word again...) who may well have seen some of these in the arcade (Burgertime and Bump 'n' Jump definitely), but never bothered with consoles other than the Atari or Colecovision.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Sean Aaron: I was referring to the existance of the VC, which seems like it would be the preferable place to release these titles. Collections are usually reserved for other systems, like how Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection was on PS3 and 360, but not Wii.

ICEknight

ICEknight said:

Funny how NEO-GEO games like Magical Drop 3 can see a release through a non-SNK collection.

Pepe

Pepe said:

B-WINGS
Caveman Games
Joe & Mac series
Burgertime series
Shadowrun

michaelmax

michaelmax said:

VC arcade also I hope! I'd buy street slam in a second. It's a very good basketball game. When is Taito going to start giving us some classics. Final Blow please!