More Accuracy Than You Can Shake a Wii Remote At

Posted by Renato Velarde

Wii Motion Plus tech is almost TOO accurate says Grand Slam Producer

Most of us are eagerly awaiting solid release dates for Wii Motion Plus and games that will use it, many of them sports games but are we really ready? Ok, think back now. When was the last time you went out and played a real tennis match and hit the ball where you wanted it to go after a few minutes of play? That’s what I thought.

The upcoming add-on promises 1:1 accuracy will be added to the current Wii remotes, and some lament that it wasn’t included in the original remote design but Nintendo claimed it was too expensive and simply not ready in time for launch. But could anyone guess that maybe we needed this introduction before diving in?

In a recent interview with techradar Thomas Singleton, producer of EA’s Grand Slam Tennis said they had to scale back its accuracy to keep the game playable due to the incredibly accurate “fidelity” of Motion Plus.

"It truly is giving you that one-to-one control movement of your arm motion and then mapping it directly to that one-to-one movement of your character on screen… At times it's overly responsive. It had so much fidelity that at times we have limited that fidelity to make it a compelling experience"

After a hands on with the game, Tech Radars’ Adam Hartley said “Playing a tennis game with Wii MotionPlus after playing the same game without the new, improved controller is the equivalent of taking the stabilizers off of your first bike… It's like going from VHS straight to Blu-ray."

This sounds like it could be a mixed blessing. Be careful what you ask for because this may finally separate the gamers from the sports fans… or maybe leave it up to a good old fashioned sword battle to decide.

[via joystiq.com]

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

I dont care if its too responsive, just give me a lightsaber game already, its been 2 years!

Mopsical

Mopsical said:

No, I'm rubbish at tennis! My life has just smashed into a billion pieces. #sarcasm

Chipmunk777

Chipmunk777 said:

wow that sounds awesome! I actually play tennis and racquetball quite a lot, so I would be really interested to see how a tennis game plays on the wii with this new motion plus thing.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

This is amusing, first the Wiimote isn't quite accurate enough and now Wii Motionplus is TOO accurate...perhaps they'll release some kind of intermediate peripheral? ;)

LinktotheFuture

LinktotheFuture said:

I'm glad it is going to work so well. We'll just have to practice instead of complaining that we can't win right away.

Neomega

Neomega said:

Bahamut Zero GOTO FRICKIN SLEEP!

If it is too accurate than maybe those who are double-jointed shouldn't play

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I've heard one developer say that Wii Motion Plus is like adding in a real guitar to Guitar Hero. Yikes!

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Looks like the WiiMotionPlus will render all other console's tennis and golf efforts obsolete. Bring it on!

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

One who commented in a previous posting on this news said about people complaints turning from under-responsiveness to over-responsiveness of the Baton.

I agree with said comment.

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

@Timp29
It's a sequel to a game your grandparents used to play in there youth .
Its was nerve racking enternaimt back then & now the New Pong is here .
New gameplay possibilities .
New Paddles .
New Graphics .
Its pong like it never was .

MickEiA

MickEiA said:

bad thing is that if you want WMP you have to buy a new sensor bar and remote

Knux

Knux said:

NO!!! Now I will have to actually break a sweat when I play Wii Sports Resort!!
I think sometimes Nintendo has a sense of humor. Nintendo:Is the Wii Remote not accurate enough for you? We''ll just make it too accurate!

Viral

Viral said:

Sword Battle for the win. I'd rather it be totally accurate than not, so I can't blame the hardware, I just suck at the game. lol J/K

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Yesterday, I used to play Tennis professionally, lol.

hobbes

hobbes said:

I would rather have the hardware too capable than not capable enough... The sensitivity of the device can always be artificially reduced by the software, but it can never be increased on a software level

AVahne

AVahne said:

muahaha,sword fighting games like zelda and the wii sports resort sword fight game are gonna RULE!mmm i wonder if MH3 will have some kind of motion-plus capability