Forums

Topic: GoldenEye Discussion Thread (OMG OMG OMG)

Posts 661 to 680 of 1,080

Sean_Aaron

Just got confirmation from GAME this is in the post. Hopefully I'll find it waiting when I get home tomorrow; otherwise Friday!

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

The_Fox

I tried it and it's not bad. It can't compete with the Halos of the Call of Duty games, but it fits a niche on the Wii. Single player is fun but nothing too special, and the mutiplayer is good (not great).

I will say that I think if you're hoping for a spot on recreation of the N64 multiplayer you'll probably walk away disappointed.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Caliko

Kid_A wrote:

The thing with Game Informer is that their editorials are really, really well written and interesting. But their reviews are awful--and I'm not just saying this as a Nintendo fan. I'm saying this as a writer. Their reviews are not only almost always completely subjective, but they rarely talk about all the things that a proper review should. Like the review of Goldeneye, for example. Didn't mention the multiplayer, didn't mention the online, really--and both are major factors of the game. I guess it just pisses me off that they're getting paid to write four paragraphs of biased drivel while we at Nintendo Life try incredibly hard to give thorough, objective reviews and most (all? Not really sure) of us work for free. We do it just because we love games, and we love the site, and the community. Game Informer just seems so bitter and cold, like they've lost tough with why they started playing games in the first place.

Hey and we appreciate it. When it's time to check reviews, I look at Nintendo Life first.

Caliko

Kid_A

Goldeneye is so good it makes me want to RAVE AND CELEBRATE IN ALL CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've been playing more single player and I finally got to try the pointer controls. Initially they were a little wonky but once I customized them they started working beautifully. The Frigate level is a nostalgic rush, but it's been revamped to a point where I have no qualms about calling it one of the best FPS levels of all time. Seriously. Just epic.

Also got to play a couple online games. Smooth, and jaw droppingly fun. I was grinning like an idiot within the first few seconds of my first Golden Gun game. It was fast paced, frantic, and heated. Felt just like the old days

Can't wait to try some local split screen this weekend!
So far this is a 9.5/10 for me

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

JonWahlgren

Kid_A, put your FC in the online gaming thread. WE MUST FACE IN GLORIOUS BATTLE at some indeterminate point in the future.

JonWahlgren

Nintendo Network ID: johnnypanda | Twitter:

Kid_A

Jon+Wahlgren wrote:

Kid_A, put your FC in the online gaming thread. WE MUST FACE IN GLORIOUS BATTLE at some indeterminate point in the future.

Will do! I've got a review to work on at the moment but I plan on putting in some serious online hours tonight. I'LL SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD!

Or, you know, like really tired or whatever.

EDIT: Also, is there a game-specific FC or is it just the Wii code?

Edited on by Kid_A

JonWahlgren

Game-specific. DEETS IN THE OTHER THREAD.

I don't know if I'll be able to make it on tonight, but some time tomorrow we should try to shoot each other in the face.

JonWahlgren

Cia

So, according to Metacritic, Goldeneye is about as good as games like Red Steel 2 and Final Fantasy CC: My life as a king. Why do i have a feeling that in reality it's lot better...

Cia

DannyBoyTheDude

Faron wrote:

So, according to Metacritic, Goldeneye is about as good as games like Red Steel 2 and Final Fantasy CC: My life as a king. Why do i have a feeling that in reality it's lot better...

Because Metacritic averages mean almost absolutely nothing.

jkshaz

DannyBoyTheDude wrote:

Sure they do they are in fact that averages, to help even out outliers in the upper and lower limit. It is better than grabbing a random review imo and going from that. Unless of course that review comes from here

Most ignorance is vincible ignorance. We don't know because we don't want to know.

Kid_A

DannyBoyTheDude wrote:

Faron wrote:

Truth. The score means nothing, but it's nice to have all the critical reviews in one place. Speaking of metacritic: looks like Blood Stone is really mediocre. What a shame, I was all pumped about having two great Bond games in one year.

romulux

The Fox wrote:

Single player is fun but nothing too special.

i disagree, the sense of immersion you have in the story and the production values behind it are amazing. you really feel like you're stuck somewhere you shouldn't be when infiltrating the different facilities, while the missions in the original game were never real enough to make you feel anxiety. it's got some generic modern shooter elements, but isn't the lack of those modern features what people complain about when they say the original is dated? it's kind of hard to update it to today's standards without winding up with something that looks similar to modern shooters. where it separates from most shooters is the fact that you're a super competent spy, not a soldier, and you perform a lot of different tasks that don't involve shooting people. the fact that there's a film quality script and soundtrack with some brilliantly staged real time scenes doesn't hurt either. so far i think it's the best FPS i've ever played.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

hulklol123456789

@romulux, who dude, you really like the game, I have no option to believe you, I have't played alot of shooters, but these one is soooooo great, im gonna buy it today (put probably will only able to play it till christmas)

Man's worst enemy is laziness.

Gameday

Gameplay is great the graphics are ok , some levels are kinda ugly lol but yea i like the game how many have this game today ?

Stay Gaming My Friends ~
(Youtube) https://goo.gl/RZezjr
Nintendo Switch: 2899-5745-8667
Xbox - Gameday J
PSN - Gameday_J
3DS: Gameday
Steam: Gameday_J

3DS Friend Code: 0705-5371-1465 | Nintendo Network ID: Gameday_J | Twitter:

Platypus

The only thing keeping me from getting this game is no splitscreen co-op I like to play with my brother but he doesn't like playing against me on games I'm better on. I think I'll wait for Black Ops or Conduit 2.

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

JonWahlgren

The scripting is a bit too much at times, breaking a lot of the illusion if you don't do things just so (try going into the room after rescuing a hostage on the Frigate and see where they're looking). I dunno about the "film-quality script," there are some pretty blatant plot points that go unexplained. If you know the movie you can fill in the blanks no problem, but it does a pretty crap job explaining motives or giving weight to certain events. Especially puzzling seeing as how this is supposed to be a remake of the movie.

Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler (if you don't know the movie)!!!

The timeline is completely borked, for example. In the movie, the Dam mission (and Trevelyan's supposed death) takes place 10 years before the Janus plot, but here Bond just goes right from the Dam to Valentine as if it was his next lead, which in turn sets off the rest of the story. So when 006 is revealed as Janus, it's like, what, the next week after he's apparently killed? How did he have time to set all this in motion?

=End Spoiler

JonWahlgren

The_Fox

The Fox wrote:

Yawn. Considering how heavily it's cashing in on the nostalgia factor I don't have high hopes for this one.

I'm glad this post I wrote in June was proven to be too harsh.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

romulux

hulklol123456789 wrote:

@romulux, who dude, you really like the game

i haven't been into shooters since the original goldeneye and perfect dark, so my opinion isn't coming from a person well versed in modern shooters. i have played them, but the only fun i've had is with nazi zombies mode in world at war. otherwise it's all a bore, there's something soulless about that hyper realistic approach that turns me off. i think goldeneye has some of the same appeal of rare's n64 shooters because it's a little looser with the rules and isn't trying to accurately simulate warfare as much as it is just trying to be a good game, so if you're not into modern shooters for the same reasons i listed you'll probably like goldeneye a lot. if you are into modern shooters i can see how you'd focus on the similar mechanics and write it off as nothing new, but you'd be minimizing the things that set it apart.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.