Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country Returns

Posts 661 to 680 of 748

Kingbuilder

Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread, but here it is again!

/rant

I just wished Retro re-named DKCR so all of these "hardcore" fans of DKC would quit ragging on it for nonsensical reasons.

ZOMG THEY CHANGED THE KREMLINS TO TIKIS! I H8 THIS GAEM! OH JEEZ THERE'S NOT NUFF" WATTER LEVELS IT'S DEFINITELY BAD BECUZ THERE WASN'T NO FUNKY KONG 'CUZ FUNKY MAEK EVERYTHING BETTER

I admit, I've never been a fan of DKC, but this game was actually decent. Platforming, style, design, everything was top-notch (except admittedly the controls). All in all, DKCR was a good game and really doesn't deserve the hate it's been getting from everybody for being different. <3 Retro.

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

romulux

SkullMan wrote:

See I view it more as this game will be forgotten after awhile

not going to happen, dude. it's already sold 2 million copies and gotten rave reviews, meaning you can probably expect retro to do a sequel in the near future.

SkullMan wrote:

There is really nothing new here besides a few levels, and it all sort of has that been there done that feeling, but not in a good way.

not a few levels, every level! i don't know how you can say it's just more of the same while simultaneously saying it's nothing like the originals. what games have you been playing that already did everything you see in DKCR? because i grew up playing and loving all the 2D classics and i've never had to dodge tidal waves coming out of the background or run from a tornado of spiders, i can say that with some confidence.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Kid_A

Skullman, I think the problem is you simply haven't given us an argument. You've complained, yes, but I have yet to see a legitimate argument from you as to why the original is better. Aside from having barrels, KONG letters and some of the same characters, I fail to see anything "overly familiar" about this game. But I'd like to hear your perspecive on it if you're willing to give it.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Joeynator3000

[quote=SkullMan]

romulux wrote:

run from a tornado of spiders, i can say that with some confidence.

Ugh, that level had an "holy crap" moment there. xD

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Rob_mc_1

KaiserGX wrote:

@Kid_B
That reminds me... is SMB3 the only game where Mushrooms don't always go to the right? How does it work on SMB3?

The mushroom travels in the direction opposite the side of the box you hit.

♠♦♣

Rob_mc_1

KaiserGX wrote:

What?! Depends on where I hit the box, or where I am facing?

It is based on where you hit the box. If you are facing left or right and hit the box right of center the mushroom travels to the left.

If you hit it left of center it travels right regardless of the direction you are facing.

♠♦♣

Kid_A

vonseux wrote:

Ive picked up DK Jungle Beat (new play control) after a few levels on DKCr and I have to say it one more time; Jungle Beat is an amazing game, the new Wii controls function perfectly.
Its fun to see how different the style is on both games. In Returns we have that Jazzy soundtrack and DK is Cool and stuff. In Jungle Beat everything is over-the-top, upbeat songs and DK is craaazy ;D
If you like DK i hope i wont miss Jungle Beat

Yeah I love Jungle Beat! If it wasn't for DKCR it would probably be my favorite DK game. It went under a lot of people's radars, but hopefully after Return's success, more people will start checking it out

SkullMan

Give me some time, I'll be back with articles worth of reading.

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

SkullMan

romulux wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

not going to happen, dude. it's already sold 2 million copies and gotten rave reviews, meaning you can probably expect retro to do a sequel in the near future.

SkullMan wrote:

There is really nothing new here besides a few levels, and it all sort of has that been there done that feeling, but not in a good way.

not a few levels, every level! i don't know how you can say it's just more of the same while simultaneously saying it's nothing like the originals. what games have you been playing that already did everything you see in DKCR? because i grew up playing and loving all the 2D classics and i've never had to dodge tidal waves coming out of the background or run from a tornado of spiders, i can say that with some confidence.

If you don't get it then you don't get it. Tidal wave level 1 thing new, running from spiders 2nd new thing, barrel flying levels - 3rd new thing....ummm..ran out. Okay 3 new mechanics and 5 new level ideas, other than that it's still jungle, forest, factory, etc, etc...swing here, barrel there. It's a rehash basically.

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

irken004

SkullMan wrote:

It's a rehash basically.

You could say that about the new Mega Man games then. Pretty much the same, other than some new level designs and weapons (some of which are similar to other previous weapons)

cheetahman91

SkullMan wrote:

romulux wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

If you don't get it then you don't get it. Tidal wave level 1 thing new, running from spiders 2nd new thing, barrel flying levels - 3rd new thing....ummm..ran out. Okay 3 new mechanics and 5 new level ideas, other than that it's still jungle, forest, factory, etc, etc...swing here, barrel there. It's a rehash basically.

You're making it sound like it's Sonic 4. Now if it was, I'd totally agree with you. That game definitely is a rehash. But even though it was, I still enjoyed it.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

Fuzzy

DKCR is one of the best platformers I've ever played. DKC is one of my favourite games, but it just doesn't hold up as well as it used to. It's still good, but this new game is really imaginative, and makes me wonder what these guys were on when designing these levels.

Fuzzy, Backloggery.

SkullMan

irken004 wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

It's a rehash basically.

You could say that about the new Mega Man games then. Pretty much the same, other than some new level designs and weapons (some of which are similar to other previous weapons)

I'm not a fan of the new Mega Man games. They feel old and dated, and they are. I don't think in order for a Mega Man game to be good they have to be exactly like they were 25 plus years ago. They deserve much better.

Kid_A

SkullMan wrote:

romulux wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

Yep. Nothing new. Rehash.
So we have a level where you're avoiding tidal waves, levels where you're controlling a flying barrel, levels where you're blasting out of the foreground to solve puzzles in the background to later jump back into the foreground, levels where you're dodging attacks from a giant octopus; you have levels that play with lighting and perspective in the form of the silhouette levels, levels that get systematically destroyed as you run through them, levels that play with weight and balance, levels that scroll entirely vertically, levels where you're being chased by spiders, levels where you're jumping off of mine carts onto grab-able, circular rotating platforms that the cart itself later rolls into, thus thrusting you into this bonkers mix of perpetual, contained, mine cart platforming madness.

Total rehash. Nothing new.

SkullMan

Kid_A wrote:

So we have a level where you're avoiding tidal waves, levels where you're controlling a flying barrel, levels where you're blasting out of the foreground to solve puzzles in the background to later jump back into the foreground, levels where you're dodging attacks from a giant octopus; you have levels that play with lighting and perspective in the form of the silhouette levels, levels that get systematically destroyed as you run through them, levels that play with weight and balance, levels that scroll entirely vertically, levels where you're being chased by spiders, levels where you're jumping off of mine carts onto grab-able, circular rotating platforms that the cart itself later rolls into, thus thrusting you into this bonkers mix of perpetual, contained, mine cart platforming madness.

Aren't you confusing "new" with good? A lot of what you named is just the same level gimmicks and mechanics reskined.

Everything they changed they should have kept the same, and everything they kept the same they should have changed. I don't know how much clearer I can make my points the past few pages.

Want to play a real true sequel? Pop in DKC2.

Aviator

No, that stuff was new.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Kid_A

SkullMan wrote:

Kid_A wrote:

Aren't you confusing "new" with good?

No. That stuff is new. It also just happens to be really good.

Joeynator3000

Yeah, the argument is getting nowhere...the only things I can even remember being chased in the originals is a saw thing, and that beaver on a giant wheel-doohickey...Can't remember any tidal waves....or any levels being torn apart when traversing....so, yeah....

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.