Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country Returns

Posts 641 to 660 of 748

Kid_A

Did people really have trouble discovering the run button?
Maybe it's just all the time I've spent with sidescrolling Mario games, but I just instinctively hold 1 (or its equivalent) when playing a 2D platformer.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

hylianhalcyon

Dropping into this thread to reiterate how awesome this game is...

This game is awesome.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and cultural heritage for profit, or as an exercise of power, are barbarians." - George Lucas, 1988

turtlelink

Kid_A wrote:

Did people really have trouble discovering the run button?
Maybe it's just all the time I've spent with sidescrolling Mario games, but I just instinctively hold 1 (or its equivalent) when playing a 2D platformer.

Me play with nunchuk.

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

LordJumpMad

Untitled

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

Ark

The Kremlings were there for three games straight, then suddenly disappeared. A little sense of familiarity disappeared for some people. In a way, it's actually a good thing that they ditched the Krems. It felt to me more like Donkey Kong Country 0. And meh, who needs Donkey Kong when you've got Dixie and Diddy? even though Donkey Kong is in the title

Edited on by Ark

kkslider5552000

World 7/8 = biggest difficulty leap in recent gaming history

Good to see the final boss still kicks my repeatedly. Now that's a legit DKC game.

Edited on by theblackdragon

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SphericalCrusher

I bought this the day it came out. I've always been a huge Donkey Kong fan and this game did not dissappoint. I admit, I agree with everyone that this game is insanely difficult in some places, but it's an awesome game nonetheless. You know, I don't know if it's the fact that it's difficult... or the fact that games nowadays are so easy... that makes it a hard game. Haha. I was playing Ninja Gaiden on NES the other day... right after playing Sigma 2 on PS3... and well, gigantic jump in difference. Same for any NES game compared to today's equivalent. I mean, with lots of lives, open area saves, and tons of checkpoints... games are quite different in difficulty today. This game... seems to keep the old school style with maybe a little extra thrown in (Cranky Kong's potions). I don't know if it's the game itself that is hard or the fact that we all suck now. Haha

Twitch.tv/SphericalCrusher

3DS Friend Code: 1118-0223-8931 | Nintendo Network ID: SphericalCrusher | Twitter:

Joeynator3000

Heh, so...close to getting Mirror Mode! xD
Just need to beat and collect the pieces on the Golden Temple, w00t! (level seems harder than I thought too)

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

TLink9

All the guy wanted was some hands geez DK. Also has anyone noticed a lack in the variety of barrels?

That is TLinkerbell to you!
[17:17] theblackdragon: considering i have neither an xbox nor a ps3 :3
[17:17] Corbie: Nintendo fangirl alert!!!!
[17:17] James Newton: Uh oh
The James Ne...

NintyFan wrote:

@JumpMad: That turned out to be fake, but it really did fool a lot of people at Gamespot. I do admit that when I got to World 8, I kept a K. Rool shocker as a possiblity. I wasn't holding my breath, though.

How could that fool anyone? It totally looks like an amateur photoshop attempt and nothing like the game art.

Please tell me it didn't fool anyone on staff, but just mindless drones on the gamespot forums.

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

pikku

wow. I just got to World 8, and it's such a huge leap in difficulty. O_O

awesome difficulty <3

pikku

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1165-2008 | Nintendo Network ID: pikmaniac

Kid_A

I'm just going to say it: DKCR>SMB3. In my opinion of course.
As influential? Probably not. Better all around game? For my money, yes. Super Mario Bros. 3 frustrates me, but not in a fun way. It just makes me want to throw the controller at the wall and scream uncontrollably (slight exaggeration). Donkey Kong Country Returns not only features more creative level design, but its challenge has that "one more try!" addictiveness to it. And this is coming from a huge Mario fan.

romulux

i don't want to compare donkey kong to the old marios but it's definitely better than nsmbw as a single player game. out of all these 2D resurrections this gen i think it's the best, not just in quality but faithfulness to the originals. my only disappointment (spoiler) is that there wasn't much to do after beating it; no secret world or anything, just one extra level and a hardcore mode that i didn't have the energy to tackle after getting all those kong letters and puzzle pieces. the last boss was also frustrating since he's so fast and it highlighted just how sluggish donkey kong is in those situations.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

SkullMan

And I don't want to start anymore arguments, how I feel about the game is how I feel. If it's bringing in Donkey Kong fans that never played the originals...that's awesome. But at the same time I can't help but feel if this game impresses you or you feel it's better than at least the first 2, you have low standards. Not to say it's not better than or as good as a lot of recent platformers. Just that it doesn't have the chops.

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

KaiserGX

Kid_A wrote:

I'm just going to say it: DKCR>SMB3. In my opinion of course.
As influential? Probably not. Better all around game? For my money, yes. Super Mario Bros. 3 frustrates me, but not in a fun way. It just makes me want to throw the controller at the wall and scream uncontrollably (slight exaggeration). Donkey Kong Country Returns not only features more creative level design, but its challenge has that "one more try!" addictiveness to it. And this is coming from a huge Mario fan.

What? First Sean and now you? What is so hard about SMB3? Aren't you one of the people that liked Lost Levels? Though when I played the Limited Addition I was having trouble on Super Mario Bros 2. (ice level) and I was getting the frustration in the face.

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

Kid_A

SkullMan wrote:

And I don't want to start anymore arguments, how I feel about the game is how I feel. If it's bringing in Donkey Kong fans that never played the originals...that's awesome. But at the same time I can't help but feel if this game impresses you or you feel it's better than at least the first 2, you have low standards. Not to say it's not better than or as good as a lot of recent platformers. Just that it doesn't have the chops.

It has nothing to do with standards. It has to do with opinion. You were unimpressed with the game. Fine. But this game has been universally hailed by critics and fans alike as a brilliant platformer, with more than a few critics calling it one of the all-time greats. You're in the minority, here.

@Kaiser
I'm not sure what it is exactly about Super Mario Bros 3 that frustrates me. It's definitely a great game, but it's the little things that end up accumulating into something that rubs me the wrong way. The fact that dying on a level sends you spinning back to the previous level on the world map, the fact that items don't consistently come out of one side of the box, the fact that hammer brothers have completely different timing every time you enter a level, the fact that every time you die on a ghost ship level the ship moves positions...irritating. I like The Lost Levels more because the challenge is more consistent. The game starts hard, and it continues to be hard. SMB3 bounces around the difficulty department, which is frustrating for me.

SkullMan

Kid_A wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

It has nothing to do with standards. It has to do with opinion. You were unimpressed with the game. Fine. But this game has been universally hailed by critics and fans alike as a brilliant platformer, with more than a few critics calling it one of the all-time greats. You're in the minority here.

Ya I guess I'm one of the truly passionate DKC that think we as fans deserve more. My high standards are going to ruin it for everyone.

Spoony_Tech

I like the originale as much as anyone. Dkc brought me back into video games when I was about to walk away from them because of boredom. Nothing new and interesting any more almost killed my desire to play any more. I've even downloaded the first because I've been wanting to play through it all over again. With that said it has lost something over the years and doesn't for me live up to the standards created by the newest one. Better graphics are a given because of time. With that aside the game play is better the level design is better. The hidden secrets are thoughtfully planed out as well as the boss battles are top notch. I haven't even Finnished the game yet it screams of pure fun. This will go down as one of the greatest platform games ever and I will be playing it for a long time to come. Give me more of this anytime. With that said lose the shaking of the Wii remote and that is my only complaint.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

SkullMan

Tech101 wrote:

I like the originale as much as anyone. Dkc brought me back into video games when I was about to walk away from them because of boredom. Nothing new and interesting any more almost killed my desire to play any more. I've even downloaded the first because I've been wanting to play through it all over again. With that said it has lost something over the years and doesn't for me live up to the standards created by the newest one. Better graphics are a given because of time. With that aside the game play is better the level design is better. The hidden secrets are thoughtfully planed out as well as the boss battles are top notch. I haven't even Finnished the game yet it screams of pure fun. This will go down as one of the greatest platform games ever and I will be playing it for a long time to come. Give me more of this anytime. With that said lose the shaking of the Wii remote and that is my only complaint.

See I view it more as this game will be forgotten after awhile while the originals have staying power. The first DKC broke ground on many levels, this one just sort of exists ya know. It lacks the charm, atmosphere, and mood that the originals conveyed so well.

When you say: "Nothing new and interesting any more almost killed my desire to play any more" I see that as applying to this half sequel, half remake. There is really nothing new here besides a few levels, and it all sort of has that been there done that feeling, but not in a good way. And as a HUGE fan of the originals it makes me quite depressed thinking about.

Edited on by SkullMan

cheetahman91

Tech101 wrote:

Agree 110% with this post. The only other DKC game that's better than this one is Diddy's Kong Quest, but the difference is very minimal.

Thank you Retro for making such an awesome game.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.