Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country Returns

Posts 561 to 580 of 749

romulux

SkullMan wrote:

You just proved my point by trying to counter it.

sorry skullman, i don't really know what you wanted out of this game. of course it's going to play similar to the originals, it's the same series; that's sort of the point. it easily innovated more than dk country 2 or 3 did and definitely more than comparable games like nsmbw. it's kind of cynical to imply that retro were just exploiting nostalgia, it's clear that they loved the originals and tried their hardest to make their entry something special, .

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

SkullMan

romulux wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

You just proved my point by trying to counter it.

sorry skullman, i don't really know what you wanted out of this game. of course it's going to play similar to the originals, it's the same series; that's sort of the point. it easily innovated more than dk country 2 or 3 did and definitely more than comparable games like nsmbw. it's kind of cynical to imply that retro were just exploiting nostalgia, it's clear that they loved the originals and tried their hardest to make their entry something special, .

I'm not buying the whole "easily innovated more than dk country 2 or 3 did " DKC 2 took what made DKC great and made it better. Expanding the gameplay and variety in every way shape or form, it felt like a true sequel. One that improved upon the original in many ways. DKCR feels like 2 steps forward and 7 steps back. This fell short of expectations as did NSMB. Both to me are empty imitations trying to cash in on the past success of better games.

It's for example the Star Wars trilogy. The Prequel Trilogy has the same elements but are far inferior, just because they have more flash or look prettier doesn't mean they are better. The same can be applied to both the new DKC and NSMB games. They take the same elements, change what shouldn't be changed, don't change what could be different, and still end up inferior...despite those new coats of paint.

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

Joeynator3000

JumpMad wrote:

BellGoRiiing wrote:

...I just need help finding the puzzle pieces in that Perilous Passage now...ugh, could only find the first one...all the others seem hidden. T_T

Hope this helps
[youtube:JNAVO1iu0ys?hd=1]

...Stupid hidden holes, lol.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

romulux

SkullMan wrote:

This fell short of (my) expectations as did NSMB. Both to me are empty imitations trying to cash in on the past success of better games.

if you want to talk about cash ins, look at goldeneye. it's a great game but it was never intended to capture what made the original fun and activision was clearly using nostalgia to make it sell. donkey kong and nsmbw are different. you have to make a distinction between "exploiting childhood memories" and "giving people what they want"; this game was made because people had been demanding it for years. i don't think anyone else is going to share your opinion on this...

KaiserGX

I think Skullman is missing why this DKC is a better game. It's not always the amount of characters moves or abilities.

Anyhow I love DKCR when it comes to pure fun though, NSMBW beats it in Multiplayer (though DKCR is already high up there). Just cause of the LUL factor being through the roof. Unless you take games too seriously and it aggravates you when your buddies keep messing up or throwing you down the ledge.

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

SuperMarioFan96

As someone who didn't play the first DKC until about a month before I played DKCR, therefore having no nastalgia towards it at all, I personally believe DKCR is absolutely brilliant. That's just me though......

Edited on by SuperMarioFan96

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

Kid_A

@Skullman/Kaiser
Really? Goldeneye NSMBW and DKCR are cash-ins? I don't think you guys really understand exactly what a cash-in is. It's when a developer takes a well-known property and puts minimal effort into it so they can make a quick buck. NSMBW, DKCR and Goldeneye all had an incredible amount of work put into them; more than goes into about 95% of Wii titles. They push the Wii to the limit, all feature brilliant level design, and in the case of Goldeneye, one of the most fleshed-out and deep online experiences the system has to offer. They're not cash-ins, no matter how much cash they may generate.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Spoony_Tech

Kid_A wrote:

@Skullman/Kaiser
Really? Goldeneye NSMBW and DKCR are cash-ins? I don't think you guys really understand exactly what a cash-in is. It's when a developer takes a well-known property and puts minimal effort into it so they can make a quick buck. NSMBW, DKCR and Goldeneye all had an incredible amount of work put into them; more than goes into about 95% of Wii titles. They push the Wii to the limit, all feature brilliant level design, and in the case of Goldeneye, one of the most fleshed-out and deep online experiences the system has to offer. They're not cash-ins, no matter how much cash they may generate.

I played against a kid a on golden eye the other day. Was that you?

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

LzWinky

Donkey Kong Country Returns is one heck of an awesome "cash-in" if you ask me

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Weskerb

Many people seem to think it's better than NSMB Wii. I would say 'not quite' but almost level. Just like the SNES days it could be the art style which encourages people to think it's better.

Compared to the old ones I think it really did a perfect job and I found it considerably easier than the SNES games. I didn't have to use the Super Kong once and only used the Banana Juice on the last 2 bosses. The bonus levels are quite tricky, but nothing compared to Bit. Trip Runner.

Edited on by Weskerb

Weskerb

LordJumpMad

This arguement is pointless.
No one will stop, untill they get the last word.

Can we just agreed, there both great games, in there own style.

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

romulux

Kid_A wrote:

Really? Goldeneye NSMBW and DKCR are cash-ins?

goldeneye was a poor example... i brought it up as an example of what a game cheaply marketed on nostalgia (the way he was implying dk retruns is) really looks like, but i did not mean to say the game itself was cheap in any way, shape or form. eurocom really did a great job.

billy-beauts wrote:

Many people seem to think it's better than NSMB Wii. I would say 'not quite' but almost level. Just like the SNES days it could be the art style which encourages people to think it's better.

the reason i think it's better is that they pushed further in taking advantage of what you can do in a modern 2D game. for one, donkey kong does a lot with the 3D polygon rendering while nsmbw could have easily used 2D sprites (and i think it would have looked better that way). they're both 5 star games as far as i care, but donkey kong just seems to have just a little more love put into it.

Machu

Both games are amazing, in solo and co-op. Personally tho, I think DKCR is waaaay better. But then, you can see that Retro took influence from NSMBW. Sooo... we'll call it even.

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

SkullMan

KaiserGX wrote:

I think Skullman is missing why this DKC is a better game. It's not always the amount of characters moves or abilities.

Anyhow I love DKCR when it comes to pure fun though, NSMBW beats it in Multiplayer (though DKCR is already high up there). Just cause of the LUL factor being through the roof. Unless you take games too seriously and it aggravates you when your buddies keep messing up or throwing you down the ledge.

I'm not saying a better game is due to amount of characters or abilities, I think you're missing my point.

SuperMarioFan96 wrote:

As someone who didn't play the first DKC until about a month before I played DKCR, therefore having no nastalgia towards it at all, I personally believe DKCR is absolutely brilliant. That's just me though......

That's why you think it's good though...you never experienced what good was/is back in the day. You're comparing a 16 year old game to one that just came out. Of course this one is going to have some advantages, makes me sad you never played any of the originals..they are far superior.

It's not due to nostalgia, but the original Goldeneye, Super Mario Bros. 3, and DKC are all vastly superior to these modern day incarnations. I feel that if these satisfy you and you are not disappointed then you know not what a good game is. I know what a cash in is and these games feel like cash ins. These games I mentioned and have "beef" with aren't really reinventing anything they are just bringing the same old stuff to the table with some new paint.

I feel that if one is satisfied with these recent releases, then you are settling. And whoever said they played against a kid the other day in goldeneye and asked if that we me. grow up man. How about having a civilized debate about how these games don't compare to what inspired them, rather than toss personal insults around.

Edited on by SkullMan

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

Spoony_Tech

@Skullman First of all I was talking to Kid a not calling you a kid. Second of all I've played every game on your list and the modern games blow the old ones away. Quit living in the past. What do you expect from a sequel. I couldn't go back to the old games for more then five minutes. The three games in mention are the best games the Wii has to offer. IMO just as good as any HD systems games. Maybe its time to sell your system because you obviously don't like what Nintendo is putting out any more!! To say that someone doesn't know a good game when they see one your opinion. These games are far from cash ins and are to an extent exactlly waht nintendo fans want. More of the same but vastly improved.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

romulux

SkullMan wrote:

I feel that if one is satisfied with these recent releases, then you are settling.

i grew up playing all the games you listed when they first came out and i think donkey kong country returns is one of the best 2D games ever made. i'm not settling for anything.

no more trolling, back to how fun the game is please?

Edited on by romulux

KaiserGX

Kid_A wrote:

@Skullman/Kaiser

Why did you direct this at me too! I didn't say anything about cash-ins! I love NSMBW and DKCR. All I was saying is are both as fun as heck but when in Multiplayer Mario is through the roof cause of how hectic it can get. Please tell me you meant this for someone else.

@Skullman I ain't missing your point at all. I'm talking about you saying DKCR takes steps back. Those steps aren't really anything that benefits the overall game compared to what Retro did with it. Now don't make this one of them cliche internet arguments. I am not here to fight or see your view. I told you what I thought. End of STORY. Now stfu and come to my house to play some games.

Edited on by KaiserGX

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

SuperMarioFan96

SkullMan wrote:

You're comparing a 16 year old game to one that just came out.

So? Until Galaxy 2 came out, Super Mario World was my favorite game of all time. I wasn't even alive when it was released, but I still enjoyed it more than all modern games I had played until Galaxy 2 (and now maybe DKCR... I'm still deciding). Being a 20 year old game didn't stop me from loving that.

Of course this one is going to have some advantages, makes me sad you never played any of the originals..they are far superior.

I'm not saying that just based on graphics or something. I care very little about graphics. Now, admittedly there are probably things in Returns that couldn't have been done in the originals due to technology, but that doesn't mean we should give the originals some sort of handicap. As I said, I HAVE player the original DKC (haven't beaten it yet though), and I intend to play the others at some point. I generally here the second is the best of the originals, so maybe I just need to play that. But as for the originals being superior... that is an opinion.

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

Kid_A

KaiserGX wrote:

Kid_A wrote:

@Skullman/Kaiser

Why did you direct this at me too! I didn't say anything about cash-ins! I love NSMBW and DKCR. All I was saying is are both as fun as heck but when in Multiplayer Mario is through the roof cause of how hectic it can get. Please tell me you meant this for someone else.

Yeah, that was totally my bad. I think I meant to direct that at Romulux since he was the one that brought up Goldeneye being a cash in. Sorry! Internet hug?

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

grumblebuzzz

I got the game for Christmas and just stomped the final boss into a gory explosion of bananas last night. Took me almost two weeks, which is a feat of a platformer these days for me. I'm SO glad that Retro decided not to hold our hands too much and really PUNISH us in some of the levels, while also giving us the super guide option for when we've lost 23 lives in one stage and just CAN'T DEAL WITH IT anymore right now. I admit that I used it a couple times for when I was stuck on a stage and just really wanted the story to progress and move on. Of course, I came back later and totally stomped those levels into dust later and picked up all the collectables -- another reason this game is so fun -- and am now about to enter The Golden Temple stage. It's been a wild ride and I can't wait to unlock mirror mode and do some trippy, crazy-hard backwards stuff.

I only have tiny, tiny complaints about this game: the only one that's technical would be the shaking of the wiimote to blow on things; It's annoying and sometimes you roll. The rest of motion controls are flawless though and the shaking to smash things is really fun. My 3 year old nephew loves to shake the remote and obliterate some rocks.

The other microscopic complaints would probably count as spoilers so I won't reveal them here, I don't guess, mainly having to do with the final boss and some of the characters.

At any rate, it's an amazing, challenging, frustrating and fun game that's possibly better than any of the classic games that Rare developed before it.

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.