Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country Returns

Posts 581 to 600 of 748

Machu

If you use super-guide for a level, you will move on, but the level won't count as complete. I think.

Rawr!

grumblebuzzz

Super Guide didn't affect anything about my game at all. I just used it when I was frustrated and then came back later and completed the level. Finished the golden temple and did a level in mirror mode and I now have 101% completion.

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

SuperMarioFan96

Well, you definetely shouldn't be getting puzzle pieces or KONG letters if you use the Super Guide on a level. But I believe you're allowed to go back and get them later still.

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

romulux

i'm only missing one puzzle piece but it's in the golden temple and they don't let you take the parrot in there... i'm almost positive it has to do with those strings of bananas that are super hard to collect...

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Chrono_Cross

Did anyone else notice Mr. Games and Watch in the background (towards the beginning) of 7-1? I hope this isn`t old news...

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

grumblebuzzz

romulux wrote:

i'm only missing one puzzle piece but it's in the golden temple and they don't let you take the parrot in there... i'm almost positive it has to do with those strings of bananas that are super hard to collect...

I completed it last night and you are most likely correct.

Also, Super Guide does not collect any puzzle pieces or KONG letters. Super Kong will often actually jump over them or otherwise maneuver around them, so if you want the unlockables, you WILL have to go back and get them yourself. Still it's a nice addition for when the frustration of dying repeatedly in one stage -- particularly a couple of the barrel rocket ones -- gets too intense and you just want to move on.

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

SkullMan

@Tech101, if you think the modern games blow the old ones away...you're living in a dream world. I'm not living in the past, it's fact the originals are always superior to what comes after. What do I expect from a sequel? More than what we are getting. These games are basically cash ins. And as a gamer it makes me sad...there was nothing progressive about DKCR.

@SuperMarioFan96, you were born in 96 right? Wow I feel old. You really need to go beat the original DKC and play DKC2. Pick them up, it will be the best decision of your life.

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

Raylax

SkullMan wrote:

@Tech101, if you think the modern games blow the old ones away...you're living in a dream world.

Bahaha. I do enjoy it when one person's opinion completely overrules everyone else's. I prefer Returns to the originals too, guess I must be dreaming.

/me goes off to play with the unicorns

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

noname001

I disagree that a sequel to a game needs to be a massive incredible step up; it just needs to be more of the previous one.

noname001

TKOWL

I honestly do not like the original Donkey Kong Countries. Nothing really clicked with me: the levels felt cheap, the graphics, though impressive at the time, have not aged well, and the Kremlings were not that great. I have played a great deal of DCKR, and it is extremely fun, a great step-up from the originals.
@SkullMan- not all sequels to past games are cash-ins, that's just a generalization. Plus there are plenty of great games that trump their older counterparts.

Backloggery | Art Blog

Nintendo Network ID: Ryanknight-TKOWL | Twitter:

SkullMan

wobee wrote:

I disagree that a sequel to a game needs to be a massive incredible step up; it just needs to be more of the previous one.

More of the same is boring. Why would I need to a buy sequel if it's more of the same? I have the first game for that. Plus this sequel was long overdue...15 years after the last good DKC game and we get a game that doesn't compare.

Dragoon wrote:

I honestly do not like the original Donkey Kong Countries. Nothing really clicked with me: the levels felt cheap, the graphics, though impressive at the time, have not aged well, and the Kremlings were not that great. I have played a great deal of DCKR, and it is extremely fun, a great step-up from the originals.

It's an okay game but does not even come close to originals, especially DKC 1 and 2. DKC 1 and 2 have got be some of the best games of that generation. The level design was amazing, the characters were fun, the music was awesome, the production value was second to none, the graphics were amazing for the time and are still nice if not played on an HD widescreen tv. I miss the Kremlins too, they were perfect villains for the Kong clan...not tiki masks. I don't see how anyone could prefer this newer one of the classics.

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

noname001

SkullMan wrote:

More of the same is boring. Why would I need to a buy sequel if it's more of the same? I have the first game for that. Plus this sequel was long overdue...15 years after the last good DKC game and we get a game that doesn't compare.

To be frank I'm not sure what you suggest as a 'change' for a sequel. "More of the same" doesn't necessarily mean a carbon copy. The levels are still different, which is what matters in (using DKC as an example) a platformer. I loved jumping around on enemies and through vibrant levels in the previous games, and I love it in this one. I don't need some spankin' new gimmick or something, I want the gameplay from the first... but more!

Not trying to be a dink, but what would you want in a sequel (to anything, just looking for an example)?

Edited on by noname001

noname001

KaiserGX

Honesty I hated the original DKC but I LOVE this game. I think this game is more of a masterpiece then the original ever was (without the graphical wow but even then I didn't like the rendered graphics, I don't like them in Yoshi Story either, or at all...) You must be very stubborn if you think a couldn't sequel can ever be better than the original (Taking DKC vs DKCR).

Though DKCR does add more. It takes away from what wasn't really needed and it adds more in what makes this game better. Retro made a game game without relying on Animal Buddies. other Kongs and Kremlings. They made the gameplay good, and that's what makes the game good.

But I don't care anymore, feels like no matter what we say we will never convince Skullman that DKCR is an overall better game than the original. I am also not saying this as an opinion, it's a fact.

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

SkullMan

KaiserGX wrote:

Honesty I hated the original DKC but I LOVE this game. I think this game is more of a masterpiece then the original ever was (without the graphical wow but even then I didn't like the rendered graphics, I don't like them in Yoshi Story either, or at all...) You must be very stubborn if you think a couldn't sequel can ever be better than the original (Taking DKC vs DKCR).

Though DKCR does add more. It takes away from what wasn't really needed and it adds more in what makes this game better. Retro made a game game without relying on Animal Buddies. other Kongs and Kremlings. They made the gameplay good, and that's what makes the game good.

But I don't care anymore, feels like no matter what we say we will never convince Skullman that DKCR is an overall better game than the original. I am also not saying this as an opinion, it's a fact.

I can no longer talk to you ever again. I think you just don't understand. It's not the relying on animal buddies, kongs, or kremlins. How does a game rely on kongs or Kremlins? The game never relied on them, but they helped make DKC what DKC is. No matter what you say you won't convince me of your lies. You must have been born post DKC 3.

KaiserGX

I was born 1990. How hard is it to see that I just didn't like the original series?

Btw will you stop picking at everything I say, you just twist it up in a way that changes my meaning. DKCR didn't rely on that stuff not the original. Instead of Retro listening to the fans and copying what Rare did with more bells and whistles they did something that made it their own and vastly superior.

Here's a quote from someone else.

"I warn you that while many love the first DKC, I think it's a horrible game. It looked terrific for it's time but it never had good level design. It was often repetitive and did barely anything new. The levels were far too similar both in looks and in design and often had poorly placed enemies or stale platforming. Only a few levels actually stood out as something fresh (like Stop & Go, or the minecart levels) The bonus stages with the animal buddies were so repetitive that it all became a chore. Don't play it.

On the other hand, the sequel; DKC2, is terrific and easily one of the best games for the SNES. The graphics got an improvement so everything felt more lively and the music in general had more variety and was catchier. The level designs were completely fixed and were often creative and changed things up constantly. The animal buddies were also better this time around since they got rid of the boring Expresso and Winky and replaced them with much more fun and creative buddies like a Spider that could make temporary platforms and a Rattlesnake that could bounce high into the air. The game also never reused bonus stages unlike the first game and also made them revolve around different actions. The game was also completely fair and also more challenging then the first.

No one on this board will probably agree since many people have huge nostalgia for these games and can't figure out that some games were never good to begin with. (Like Banjo Tooie and Sonic Adventure 1)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

kkslider5552000

KaiserGX wrote:

I am also not saying this as an opinion, it's a fact.

This my friends, is how to lose all credibility in one sentence.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Scottie

What happens when you get 200% in this game?

Scottie

Ark

KaiserGX wrote:

What is "better"? Better as in more fun, better as in it has superior design (which is subjective, for a masochist could prefer glitchy games or someone with a weird mindset could prefer games with seemingly odd level design), better as in more effort was put into it? Fun is subjective, as is level design. You could argue that it had more resources thrown into it and more polish, but that's to be expected when comparing games with a 15 year gap in it. For some, the fun would overshadow the production value. Plus, some don't like the waggle in DKCR, another important factor. I've heard complaints over that time and time again. It can be quite annoying, depending on who you are.

tl;dr: It's all subjective. I'd take Sonic Heroes over Super Mario Galaxy because of personal preference. Same goes for you saying this is better than the original. 'Tis not a fact, mate.

Edited on by Ark

KaiserGX

I want to go with polish, even if there's a 15 year old gap people still think some old games have more effort resources and polish than a new one. Also that a new game could NEVER be better than the original.

Edited on by KaiserGX

Kid_A

KaiserGX wrote:

No one on this board will probably agree since many people have huge nostalgia for these games and can't figure out that some games were never good to begin with. (Like Banjo Tooie)

The things you say...they upset me

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.