Forums

Topic: Wii U - Worst System Name in History?

Posts 181 to 200 of 229

Cia

Trainer_DJ wrote:

Wii U's name is not only misleading but makes it just seem like a slight upgrade to the system. There is a reason why over time home console try to make the name significantly different from the last generation one. If Nintendo put it's name in every console and just stuck with one console name like "Xbox" or "Sony Playstation" this wouldn't matter. Nintendo does not do that though, ever since the N64 video games has gotten old enough where if you are not going to stick to one name, you have to keep changing it. What would it be if they called the Wii the Gamecube2? It does not seem like a new system, it seems like an upgrade.

The fact that the Wii's name was already extremely simplistic doesn't help either. If they want to attract gamers that aren't already on the Ninty boat like us they need to get away from the stigma of the Wii. Casual gamers will see it as just another upgrade. They already have smartphones and only play games at home every once in a while, why would they pay for a new system, let alone a system that seems like a simple upgrade.

So, with your logic "Super Nintendo" was just an upgrade to regular "Nintendo" and "Game Boy Advance" just an upgrade for the ordinary Game Boy". What i mean to say that Nintendo has been done like this with names before. Also, DS to 3DS.

Edited on by Cia

Cia

John-John

I agree. The name bites. I think the Super Wii Entertainment System would've been a cool name. It would've captured the nostalgia of gamers as well as hipsters who act like they're all cool for only playing old consoles. _ If anyone's already suggested this name, sorry, I didn't read the entire thread. Tl;dr.

John-John

Scary_Old_Lady

John-John wrote:

I agree. The name bites. I think the Super Wii Entertainment System would've been a cool name. It would've captured the nostalgia of gamers as well as hipsters who act like they're all cool for only playing old consoles. _ If anyone's already suggested this name, sorry, I didn't read the entire thread. Tl;dr.

The SWES!

Train Simulator Reskins: http://superalbs.weebly.com/ ;)

3DS Friend Code: 3695-0038-1854

TheDreamingHawk

I... Actually like the name. It's way better than a dumb name like: "HD Wii!" or "Wii 2" Reggie said right before the Wii U was revealed that it was named because it would involve more personal activity than the wii did. I think people will be able to tell the difference, like people did when Xbox became Xbox 360.

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

19Robb92

The name is bad. Yes. Don't know about the worst in history though. Those Wii ripoffs that appear in some locations with the name "Vii" is definitely worse IMO.

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

NaturalGus

why not just call it Nintendo Entertainment System? I mean, it's not like people are going to confuse it with the actual NES or anything. Just slap a generation number on it and call it a day. Perhaps the NES7? Or the N7?

The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace.

Mercury9

Playstation

Join .www.mkart7.com - Free to enter and great fun!
Mario Kart 7 competitions, great prizes and much more!
3DS FC: 3222-5621-9481
3DS Username: mkart7.com
www.facebook.com/MercuryIX

King_Boo

I would kind of like it to just be abbreviated like the abbreviation for Gamecube, so Wii U is refereed to as WUN. Then the marketing could be "It's the one console you need."

Full name King Boo the Nefarious
3DS FC: 5241-1931-6226
PSN: King_Boo922
Nintendo Network ID: KingBoo
http://www.youtube.com/user/KingBoo922

Kinioka

@Naturalgus- N7 sounds good,imo. But Wii U belongs to the eighth generation...N8 would probably be used to create the most basic jokes ever.

Edited on by Kinioka

Hallelujah.

Mercury9

As I've mentioned somewhere else (I forget, I get lost in here!) I'd be all down for either "Nintendo" Or to help reference HD, NINTEHDO.

The "H" stylised to resemble an "N" that when placed next to the "D", resembles HD

Wheels2050

Mercury9 wrote:

As I've mentioned somewhere else (I forget, I get lost in here!) I'd be all down for either "Nintendo" Or to help reference HD, NINTEHDO.

The "H" stylised to resemble an "N" that when placed next to the "D", resembles HD

It's not going to happen, but I like the idea of it being called just the Nintendo. I don't know what they would call the next console though!

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

Mercury9

Wheels2050 wrote:

Mercury9 wrote:

It's not going to happen, but I like the idea of it being called just the Nintendo. I don't know what they would call the next console though!

Non of these suggestions may happen! They are only fan suggestions.
It's called Wii U. I've been calling it Wii when talking about it to other people. Maybe I subconsciously think it's sounds silly or maybe I feel embarrassed to say it. I don't know.

All Nintendo consoles have been called "Nintendo" by me and my friends. Call it Mario's box of HD wonderment and I'd still call it my Nintendo. Playstation has this gift too. Each new version is almost always referred to as "The Playstation" even if the models are different, it is world famous for that single word.
Do more people know more about Nintendo or Wii? If Nintendo were to brand it simply, "Nintendo" it would receive more interest because the word Nintendo is probably more universally acknowledged than the word Wii is.

SonyFACE

NaturalGus wrote:

why not just call it Nintendo Entertainment System? I mean, it's not like people are going to confuse it with the actual NES or anything. Just slap a generation number on it and call it a day. Perhaps the NES7? Or the N7?

Just the Nintendo 7 or the N7 would be awesome... but they might have some copyright issues with BioWare and Mass Effect.

Charter Member of SonyLife.
Nintendo and Sony for the win, Microsoft ehh.
Psalm 51.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5840-8779 | Nintendo Network ID: SonyFACE

Mercury9

A real world console will have issues with a space opera video game? I'm pretty sure Bioware is smart enough to spot the differences there!

Squiggle55

Still not giving up hope for that name change. Not until it's actually in my hands and Wii U is staring me in the face taunting me with that ridiculous name.

Edited on by Squiggle55

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. -Albert Einstein

shingi_70

WaveBoy wrote:

Mercury9 wrote:

Playstation

Playstation beats the hell out of XBOX.
Wii U is definitly Nintendo's worst console name thus far. 'Wii' was unique and totaly unexpected, but Wii 'U' No...just no....

Well xbox stood for direct X box.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Mercury9

Xbox is different. When thinking of Xbox, I, and probably many others think of the original console.
Xbox 360 is universally known as the "360" and dare I say some sections of the public may be unaware of it being part of the Xbox family.

Everyone knows Playstation. Everyone knows Nintendo. These are single words that are known around the world and they sell and get people talking. Xbox branding to some may be blurred because it's more known for its nickname. I really think "Nintendo" or even "The Nintendo" would turn more heads. It's simple, to the point and people know what it is regardless of model.

Example 1:
Kid: Hey, Mum! Can I have a 360 for my birthday?
Mum: What?!

Example 2:
Kid: Hey, Mum! Can I have a Playstation 3 for my birthday?
Mum: We'll see!

Edited on by Mercury9

Hokori

Kinioka wrote:

@Naturalgus- N7 sounds good,imo. But Wii U belongs to the eighth generation...N8 would probably be used to create the most basic jokes ever.

Huh? Is there a joke about my name? N8 Nate

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

Wheels2050

Mercury9 wrote:

Xbox is different. When thinking of Xbox, I, and probably many others think of the original console.
Xbox 360 is universally known as the "360" and dare I say some sections of the public may be unaware of it being part of the Xbox family.

Everyone knows Playstation. Everyone knows Nintendo. These are single words that are known around the world and they sell and get people talking. Xbox branding to some may be blurred because it's more known for its nickname. I really think "Nintendo" or even "The Nintendo" would turn more heads. It's simple, to the point and people know what it is regardless of model.

Example 1:
Kid: Hey, Mum! Can I have a 360 for my birthday?
Mum: What?!

Example 2:
Kid: Hey, Mum! Can I have a Playstation 3 for my birthday?
Mum: We'll see!

Spot on. However. I'd argue that amongst people who are not so familiar with video games, Wii would be a more recognisable brand name than Nintendo. People who are familiar with the consoles will know what it is regardless of name; however, people whose introduction to video gaming came last generation with the Wii will likely identify with that more than Nintendo.

(I obviously don't have any numbers to back up these statements, but there you go).

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the Wii brand name but it really doesn't matter either way. Names don't generally influence my decision to buy things!

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

Kinioka

LordOtaku wrote:

Kinioka wrote:

Huh? Is there a joke about my name? N8 Nate

I was talking about some jokes that some haters could make with N8 - Nintendo hate...Nates... among others. N8 It's also the "name" of a very well know Nokias smartphone, so I doubt that will ever happen... I've nothing against your name.

Edited on by Kinioka

Hallelujah.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.