Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 7,141 to 7,160 of 27,917

Prof_Clayton

I know it's a stretch, and probably won't happen... but Wonder Red with a new Wonderful 101 game would make e3 perfect for a Smash presentation. :3
People also seem to keep thinking that a lot of old characters will be cut... why? I mean, the characters were fine enough before and updating an old character is better/easier than making a new one. I'm aure there will be new ones, but almost all of the old characters will return, I'd assume.

Welcome to my signature.
8 Bit Forward Come check out our Forums, Game Challenge League, Reviews, Interviews and more! http://8bitforward.forumotion.com
The Great Wall of Backlog

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9581-0860 | Nintendo Network ID: Clayton17 | Twitter:

UGXwolf

DestinyMan wrote:

All the Brawl veterans except Pokemon Trainer and Snake will return, it increasingly looks like to me. Doesn't the profile slots differ by what online device you're using too? Such as showing more slots on a laptop than a Smartphone or something? I stopped reading that guy's post when he mentioned that. Those slots serve no purpose but to show that there's still more characters coming.

I wish Krystal was playable, but it's more likely that we'll have Fox, Falco, and Wolf again, and I don't see the roster having four Star Fox characters. I wouldn't worry about Mr. Game & Watch and the Ice Climbers. The roster will be bigger than Brawl, and maybe significantly so. Just because the 3DS version is releasing sooner than we thought doesn't mean the roster is close to completion. Sakurai is practically guaranteed to keep some characters hidden just like with every other Smash Bros. game, and we may have multiple characters announced at E3 just like with the Smash Bros. Direct and last E3.

Pretty much this except that I expected both versions to launch in August, anyways, so there's a decent chance I was right about the 3DS version.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

UGXwolf

DestinyMan wrote:

I didn't expect either version to release in summer, and definitely not the Wii U version. We should be happy to play Smash Bros. this summer at all!

Absolutely agreed. You don't see me complaining. Hey! Maybe we'll get 3DS in July! Maybe June, if we're stupidly lucky.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

19Robb92

DestinyMan wrote:

Doesn't the profile slots differ by what online device you're using too? Such as showing more slots on a laptop than a Smartphone or something?

Yeah, the site auto-scales to match the resolution of your screen. It has nothing to do with amounts of character slots or anything like that.

Edited on by 19Robb92

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

Eel

Jigglypuff will return. He always does. He always will. Jiggs is timeless. Jiggs is omnipresent.

This is basically the only game series where Jigglypuff is useful and fun to use.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Z64

UGXwolf wrote:

Also, you seriously just made my head hurt from all of the misconceptions and failed assumptions.

> How many times must we discuss this? The slots at the bottom of the page are filler slots. They don't mean our imply anything. They're just there to fill in the space between the last character and the far right side of the graphic. They probably aren't even intentional.
>Sakurai never once stated that he wanted to have a roster size similar to Brawl's. I keep having to explain this one, too. He said a good number of things regarding roster size, including that he wasn't interested in adding a whole bunch of third party characters, he didn't want to add a bunch of characters for no real reason (sorry, Sheriff fans), and that the team didn't have a set number of roster spots in mind for this game. He also said he wants to bring back as many characters as he can from Brawl, but that technical limitations do exist.
> The 3DS version launches this Summer, which could mean a month-and-a-half from now or four months from now. With E3 being conveniently inside of that time frame, we may be getting a lot of characters, soon. And don't forget that he could always just not show a character. So no, we may not be anywhere near full roster.
>Krystal won't replace anyone. Falco and Wolf are both more popular on a global scale.
> Ice Climbers have no excuse, considering Rosalina & Luma would be harder to implement. They aren't guaranteed to return, but I think they'll be back.
> Game & Watch probably isn't going anywhere.

I really don't think we'll see very many roster cuts at all. I still stand by ~44 as my expected roster size.

> I'm not placing a lot of weight on the filler slots, but it would make sense that if there's 7 slots, then there's at least 7 more characters to fill, and then it'll expand to more as it did before. There's been nothing to imply otherwise so far, so it's not necessarily a faulty assumption. I wasn't implying that was the final roster size. (Edit: I didn't know the slots changed per device, see below)

> In regards to the last point about technical specifications, you missed out the part where he followed it up with a point that they were planning to reduce some characters to a certain degree. This is what I was referring to. If he's referencing the reduction of characters, and Brawl is the comparison, then that's an implication on the roster size. Well, that's how people interpreted it at least.

> The point about roster time scales you have misunderstood, though this is my fault as I mistyped the sentence. I meant to say "we're probably coming very close to finding out the final roster lineup", referring to how we're likely to get an onslaught of reveals in the next coming months, as opposed to implying we were near the end of characters.

> Granted Falco is more likely to return but I honestly think Krystal is a more likely bet than Wolf. That's just my opinion though, not really an assumption or misconception.

> My view on the Ice Climbers was purely based on what Sakurai said. I agree that Rosalina seems a much more complex character, so it's odd that Ice Climbers are causing trouble. Perhaps Sakurai is altering them to work more like Rosalina (with more independence) and this is what creates issues? Who knows.

> Again, G&W is just an opinion, not a misconception or assumption. I could see him being cut though I don't think it'll happen.

DestinyMan wrote:

All the Brawl veterans except Pokemon Trainer and Snake will return, it increasingly looks like to me. Doesn't the profile slots differ by what online device you're using too? Such as showing more slots on a laptop than a Smartphone or something? I stopped reading that guy's post when he mentioned that. Those slots serve no purpose but to show that there's still more characters coming.

I didn't know it changed between devices. Again I stress I'm not putting weight on that point. All I was saying was that because there was 7 slots, we can assume at least 7 character's are still to come. It will be expanded once again, like it has done before. That's all. Though if it changes per device, it's clear it doesn't mean much.

Edited on by Z64

Z64

Nintendo Network ID: Zabba64 | Twitter:

19Robb92

Z64 wrote:

I'm not placing a lot of weight on the filler slots, but it would make sense that if there's 7 slots, then there's at least 7 more characters to fill, and then it'll expand to more as it did before. There's been nothing to imply otherwise so far, so it's not necessarily a faulty assumption.

It is though, since the amount on "filler slots" depend on your screen resolution. If you go to the site on an iPhone, there'll just be one "filler slot". When I use my MacBook, there are four "filler slots" etc.

Z64 wrote:

I agree that Rosalina seems a much more complex character

In what way?

The Luma is nothing more than a mimmic character & can't be separated on its own. Ice-Climbers can be fully separated where one of them requires its own AI and is able to fight by itself. Rosalina & Luma seem a lot simpler to me.

Edited on by 19Robb92

Z64

I repeat, I didn't know until now that the slots changed per device/screen resolution.

Do we know that Luma has no independent AI? I thought they worked in a similar way to the Ice Climbers, only with more 'independent' moves and ability to be further away from each other.

Z64

Nintendo Network ID: Zabba64 | Twitter:

Eel

Maybe both Ice Climbers require a lot of graphical details where Luma is just a little star?

Anyway, I don't see the Ice Climbers being a problem in the 3DS version. They will probably come back... They just haven't announced them (if they even plan to announce them).

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

19Robb92

Z64 wrote:

Do we know that Luma has no independent AI? I thought they worked in a similar way to the Ice Climbers, only with more 'independent' moves and ability to be further away from each other.

He has never said so outright. But in the Nintendo Direct he emphasizes that the player controls Lumas attacks while they are separated. And if you watch the footage the Luma never makes an attack unless Rosalina makes some kind of move. All the Luma does is wanter around back & forth.

"When the Luma is on its own it will wander around the stage & the player can control its attacks while its separated from Rosalina"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUWnQu2Grs&t=23m55s

SparkOfSpirit

I don't see many cuts at all. Actually, I'm thinking the roster will be between 45-50 total. That's not a huge jump from Brawl, but it's enough for me.

Jigglypuff is never getting cut. Nobody from Smash 64 is ever getting cut. I would think that is obvious by now.

Mr. Game & Watch is important to Nintendo history and is one of the most unique characters. Cutting him is nonsensical.

Ice Climbers have been around since Melee and are popular with Smash fans. They also have a unique move-set. Again, cutting them makes no sense. Honestly, I think any character that made the jump from Melee to Brawl is a lock.

The only ones I'm up in the air on are the ones who debuted in Brawl. But even then, only Pokemon Trainer isn't coming back and other than R.O.B. there are no characters that could go either way. I dunno, I don't see many cuts at all.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

SparkOfSpirit

Moorpheel wrote:

I wouldn't say Pokemon Trained got cut. He just "evolved" into solo Charizard.

Pretty much, yeah.

Though I am willing to bet that Snake isn't coming back, I don't see many cuts this time. The only character that was cut and had a unique move-set was Mewtwo and apparently that was only because they ran out of time. Sakurai has had plenty of time for this one and probably had the characters locked in far in advance.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

SparkOfSpirit

Dark-Luigi wrote:

Since that happened, I fear that the roster will be flown with useless pokemon.

Well, if Jigglypuff and Mewtwo return then there will be six individual pokemon. There were six individual pokemon in Brawl, too.

So it's not much different.

― G.K. Chesterton

FriedSquid

My two cents on the roster: if Sakurai said he wanted to keep the roster size similar to Brawl's I think asking for anything above 45 is a little ridiculous. I believe there will be cuts, not many, but easily about 5 characters cut. Fill in that 5 with the 6 newcomers and you get 40 (39 - 5 = 34 + 6 = 40 in case it didnt make sense in wording) I'd say we could get 3 or 4 more newcomers, taking that number to at most 43/44. This is just my opinion and reasoning, of course, but I do feel that Sakurai making the roster 45+ would be too much of a jump from Brawl's.

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

DefHalan

I do think we will see a grass Pokemon and Jigglypuff. I think Mewtwo will be cut from the game but might appear in DLC, if DLC happens. I really hope Krystal replaces one of the Star Fox characters (not Fox obviously).

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

SCRAPPER392

I had a dream that Krystal was a newcomer, as weird as that sounds... Her final smash was a "girly" tank, which makes no sense, because we already know how overused the tank is.

I could see a few more Pokemon being thrown in.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic