Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 7,121 to 7,140 of 27,917

Tsuchinoko

OdnetninAges wrote:

Here's a question for everyone:

http://strawpoll.me/1546413

Chrom, Palutena, and Shulk. Easy.

Also, that screen looks nice. But the game is a few months away and Chrom is the only one unannounced? Unless not all characters are open yet on that screen.

Actually thats correct. In Japan he's just referred to as Game and Watch, since thats the name of the devices he comes from.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

MegaStoneSmash91

Well, looks like everyone figured out that character select image is fake. You guys have even pointed out all the things I would have mentioned, like the reused Wario picture or "Ice Climbers" being plural instead of singular. It's quite nice though, and some effort was clearly put into it.

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

MegaStoneSmash91

Nice. The first time I saw the Fire Bar, I thought it was really silly to use it as a melee weapon, but that's precisely why it works. It seems to fit right in with the other items. The Beam Sword is simply gorgeous. It looks better than ever, and I like how it features different colors in the blade. The greatly expanded list of items, as well as the newly designed classic ones, are going to make matches so chaotic and fun. Something will be happening constantly, especially if item frequency is set on very high.

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

cookiex

Dat beam sword. <3

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Jazzer94

The Fire Bar must do quite a bit more damage then the Beam Sword seeing as its limited to only a few uses still looks really cool plus I like how the Beam Sword now looks like the Melee on again that was always my favorite design.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

UGXwolf

I think my favorite part of this picture is the character poses. I'm not sure if these are specific to the characters or the items they're holding, but Mario appears t be winding up like he would for a baseball swing, which makes sense, as he's been in a baseball game, before. Link, on the other hand, is about to use the beam sword like he would any other sword, which makes a lot of sense. Heck, the stance even looks like a stance he'd have in an actual Zelda game! Again, not sure if these stances are exclusive to the character or the item, but it looks really good.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

DreamyViridi

@UGXwolf - Pretty sure the stances are unique to the character. Mario would make that same stance if he had the Beam Sword, at least if I remember correctly from Melee and Brawl.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

MegaStoneSmash91

Yep, every character has their own way of swinging battering type weapons. Since the Fire Bar is also a battering weapon, it would function the same as any other, but will only last a short time. Other battering items like the Star Rod, Lip's Stick, and even the Fan are all wielded slightly different depending on which character is using them. You could say that the characters all have their own style when it comes to these weapons.

Beep.
That is all.

UGXwolf

MegaStoneSmash91 wrote:

Yep, every character has their own way of swinging battering type weapons. Since the Fire Bar is also a battering weapon, it would function the same as any other, but will only last a short time. Other battering items like the Star Rod, Lip's Stick, and even the Fan are all wielded slightly different depending on which character is using them. You could say that the characters all have their own style when it comes to these weapons.

Which makes sense. A bounty hunter used to an arm canon, a star ship pilot raised on a cockpit and blaster, a swordsman with a taste for items, and a plumber who has done just about everything under the Sun are all bound to have their own ways of handling items they're not used to, with Link likely being the more proficient user of them, as I recall him being in Brawl. (That is to say, IIRC, Link could use items better than most characters in Brawl, but it hardly comes up, as most people turn the items off, sadly.)

MegaStoneSmash91

While swinging a battering item, Pit, Marth, and Ike even add an extra attack with their own weapons in addition to the item itself. This shows how much more comfortable they are with these types of items. It's pretty much what they're used to. Some characters put a little flair in the way they use them, as well. Sonic's dash attack has him spinning around horizontally while swinging the item, and this looks especially cool with the Beam Sword. Sheik's smash attack is two quick uppercuts which ooze style from every angle. Peach's strong attack has her twirling the item around in her hand after the initial swing. I'd consider all these as part of the small, but sweet, details that go into these games. If every character swung all the battering items exactly the same, something would feel off.

On another note, I can't wait to see other characters with the new Beam Sword. Captain Falcon would look especially good using it.

Edited on by MegaStoneSmash91

Beep.
That is all.

Z64

Does anyone else think the Fire Bar item would have been better as a static item that rotated like it does in the actual Mario games? It's cool as a battering item but...I don't know I think it would have been better as a stage hazard item like the Bumper.

On an unrelated note, I was thinking about this before...

> 29 characters have been revealed so far.
> 6 of those are newcomers.
> The official Smash Bros. website has 7 extra empty slots at the bottom (when you're viewing a character). These tend to appear when the previous slots have been filled.
> That brings the total of characters to a minimum of 36.
> We know that Sakurai is aiming for a roster of similar size to Brawl, which was 35 slots but 39 playable fighters.
> It's almost certain that Wario, Meta-Knight, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Ness and Jigglypuff are coming back.
> It's fairly likely - but not certain - that Falco, Mr Game and Watch and the Ice Climbers will be included
> So that's 6 almost certain to return, and 3 likely to return. If they all do, that's a roster of 38, just under Brawl.
> With the 3DS release not far off, we are probably coming relatively close to the final roster lineup.
> If all those veterans return and Sakurai sticks to his guns regarding roster size, we're only going to see maybe 4 or so more newcomers.

Though...

> It's possible that Falco will be replaced with a brand new Star Fox rep like Krystal
> Though she's one of the original 12, maybe Sakurai has chosen to cut Jigglypuff after this mass Pokemon reveal?
> Ice Climbers may not show up because Sakurai reported technical difficulties with them. I have a weird feeling Rosalina is their replacement.
> I could see Game and Watch getting cut, though I wouldn't want it.

Z64

Nintendo Network ID: Zabba64 | Twitter:

Nintendo6400

I think they will reveal more character s after the 3ds launch, but those characters will be added to the 3ds version through dlc. Gotta keep the hype up for the wii u version somehow.
PS I hope wolf returns as well =) also I'm expecting around 15 newcomers.

Edited on by Nintendo6400

3DS FC: 4854-6437-9458
Friend Safari: Fire- Growlith, Pyroar, Flechling

Shirma_Akayaku

Z64 wrote:

> Ice Climbers may not show up because Sakurai reported technical difficulties with them. I have a weird feeling Rosalina is their replacement.

Where did you hear this? Technical difficulties?

Edited on by Shirma_Akayaku

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

19Robb92

Rosalina wrote:

Where did you hear this? Technical difficulties?

It is because of the 3DS version of the game. It might be the reason we are not getting transformative characters this time around (as in Sheik & Zero Suit Samus getting their own character spot).

IGN wrote:

Sakurai did tell me that “multiple character” combatants like the Ice Climbers were proving a technical challenge on the 3DS.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/creating-super-smash-b...

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

UGXwolf

Z64 wrote:

Does anyone else think the Fire Bar item would have been better as a static item that rotated like it does in the actual Mario games? It's cool as a battering item but...I don't know I think it would have been better as a stage hazard item like the Bumper.

On an unrelated note, I was thinking about this before...

> 29 characters have been revealed so far.
> 6 of those are newcomers.
> The official Smash Bros. website has 7 extra empty slots at the bottom (when you're viewing a character). These tend to appear when the previous slots have been filled.
> That brings the total of characters to a minimum of 36.
> We know that Sakurai is aiming for a roster of similar size to Brawl, which was 35 slots but 39 playable fighters.
> It's almost certain that Wario, Meta-Knight, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Ness and Jigglypuff are coming back.
> It's fairly likely - but not certain - that Falco, Mr Game and Watch and the Ice Climbers will be included
> So that's 6 almost certain to return, and 3 likely to return. If they all do, that's a roster of 38, just under Brawl.
> With the 3DS release not far off, we are probably coming relatively close to the final roster lineup.
> If all those veterans return and Sakurai sticks to his guns regarding roster size, we're only going to see maybe 4 or so more newcomers.

Though...

> It's possible that Falco will be replaced with a brand new Star Fox rep like Krystal
> Though she's one of the original 12, maybe Sakurai has chosen to cut Jigglypuff after this mass Pokemon reveal?
> I could see Game and Watch getting cut, though I wouldn't want it.

The Fire Bar might make sense at first as a stage hazard, but has the potential to negatively affect gameplay. As an item, it can do whatever it wants to.

Also, you seriously just made my head hurt from all of the misconceptions and failed assumptions.

> How many times must we discuss this? The slots at the bottom of the page are filler slots. They don't mean our imply anything. They're just there to fill in the space between the last character and the far right side of the graphic. They probably aren't even intentional.
>Sakurai never once stated that he wanted to have a roster size similar to Brawl's. I keep having to explain this one, too. He said a good number of things regarding roster size, including that he wasn't interested in adding a whole bunch of third party characters, he didn't want to add a bunch of characters for no real reason (sorry, Sheriff fans), and that the team didn't have a set number of roster spots in mind for this game. He also said he wants to bring back as many characters as he can from Brawl, but that technical limitations do exist.
> The 3DS version launches this Summer, which could mean a month-and-a-half from now or four months from now. With E3 being conveniently inside of that time frame, we may be getting a lot of characters, soon. And don't forget that he could always just not show a character. So no, we may not be anywhere near full roster.
>Krystal won't replace anyone. Falco and Wolf are both more popular on a global scale.
> Ice Climbers have no excuse, considering Rosalina & Luma would be harder to implement. They aren't guaranteed to return, but I think they'll be back.
> Game & Watch probably isn't going anywhere.

I really don't think we'll see very many roster cuts at all. I still stand by ~44 as my expected roster size.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic