Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Thread

Posts 3,401 to 3,420 of 28,771

Romeo

sigh..
why don't you just go and play games on your smartphone? Super Smash Bros. is not a casual game.. Meele wasn't and this shouldn't either

just because it's too hard for you to press 2 buttons at the same time.. you have no right to demand for this game to go the casual.way
just go and play on your smartphone, there you will find the appropriate games for yourself

Romeo

cherrysunburst

@Romeo One; I'm not a casual. Two; It's out of battery.
This is meant to be a casual game. They made Brawl more casual. I'm pretty sure they're not going to try to take a step back. A casual game is not deemed casual because it's on a smartphone. It's how you play the game. Smash Bros is lighthearted fun.

And FYI, you make it sound like a 5-year-old can do it. 2 buttons at a time? Seriously? I don't even want to waste my time arguing with someone who clearly is a diehard melee fanboy who wants everything to go his way.

Edited on by cherrysunburst

former usernames because i'm fickle: sushifreAk, Cyb3Rnite, Justice, AnActualDash, cath3Rine, rayneee
currently playing: nothing. i'm burnt out, i guess.

i like girls.

3DS Friend Code: 4554-0880-9460 | Nintendo Network ID: Cyb3Rnite

Romeo

are you actually trying to say that meele is hard (in any way) ??

if you play once a week you should simply not be able to beat people who play the game a lot more
if you want to learn the game.. invest more time into it

if you can't, that's fine... play it your way, but don't dumb down the experience for others just because you're not willing to put some effort into it and don't want others to be better than yourself

Romeo

cherrysunburst

@Romeo Yes. Wavedashing and L-cancelling are both completely unnessecary. Also, I'm not saying I'm bad at melee. I've learned the techs and everything, and it's basically just "blech" whenever you have to press L every time you do an aerial. I'm not saying casuals should kick everyone's butt in game, I'm saying they should not have any empty depth like they did in melee. You make it sound like I'm a melee noob who's complaining about the game. Number one rule of arguments, don't look for an argumebt by jumping to conclusions.

Also, I can't help but wonder how you thought of that last paragraph. Obviouly, the number of casual players are higher than the competitive ones, so it would actually be beneficial to the sales of this game if they were to take out the empty depth. You're the one trying to make it worse for others. Let's stop these personal atttacks before TBD catches us.

Edited on by cherrysunburst

former usernames because i'm fickle: sushifreAk, Cyb3Rnite, Justice, AnActualDash, cath3Rine, rayneee
currently playing: nothing. i'm burnt out, i guess.

i like girls.

3DS Friend Code: 4554-0880-9460 | Nintendo Network ID: Cyb3Rnite

cherrysunburst

DestinyMan wrote:

Whenever I read about the Melee/Brawl debate, I think back to the original Smash Bros. game, where the physics were wonky, items randomly appeared to cause craziness, and it was all just about some of your favorite Nintendo characters fighting it out together.

This. Lighthearted, casual fun is what Smash should be about.

former usernames because i'm fickle: sushifreAk, Cyb3Rnite, Justice, AnActualDash, cath3Rine, rayneee
currently playing: nothing. i'm burnt out, i guess.

i like girls.

3DS Friend Code: 4554-0880-9460 | Nintendo Network ID: Cyb3Rnite

Romeo

it should be fun, that's what it's all about
but people define "fun" differently

some people just want to sit down with their friends and play a few rounds of super smash bros., but others prefer playing it competitively

you can ALWAYS play a game casually (even if it has complex mechanics in it), just play however you want with your friends (you can just ignore the complex mechanics)

but you can't play competitively when the game is dumbed down and you can't get a real and meaningful advandate by playing it way more than all the casual players
a starcraft 2 pro will never lose against a bronze/silver/gold player, etc.... if i play ssb a lot i should not be able to lose vs people who have no intention of playing the game competitively

there needs to be something that sets me apart... there needs to be something that i will only acquire by playing the game intensely

Edited on by Romeo

Romeo

cherrysunburst

I'm not saying it should be dumbed down. I'm saying the empty depth should be removed. Throw me another call if you wanna have me repeat that again.

Also, you do get better at casual games the more you play. Obviously, you get faster reflexes, think more competitively, strategize, whatever. Brawl was purely casual and we still have a conpetitive scene for it, basically completely disproving that you can't play a casual or "dumbed down" game conpetitively. Brawl was heavily "dumbed down." Hell, look at M2K. Isai moved to 64 even, because he stopped liking Melee.

A casual player will never beat someone who spends so much time on the game. Please. Don't be afraid of getting your butt kicked by a casual.

Edited on by cherrysunburst

former usernames because i'm fickle: sushifreAk, Cyb3Rnite, Justice, AnActualDash, cath3Rine, rayneee
currently playing: nothing. i'm burnt out, i guess.

i like girls.

3DS Friend Code: 4554-0880-9460 | Nintendo Network ID: Cyb3Rnite

Late

DestinyMan wrote:

I think he's clearly a stage hazard. In the developer direct during E3, Sakurai showed the stage with Mega Man and Mario and the stage seemed to function like a regular stage. There are platforms to the side of the stage; they're just not visible in the Pic of the Day. I hope there are boss battles in these games, though. It may not be the Subspace Emissary, but if the Adventure Modes in these new games are like Melee's plus boss battles which Melee's lacked, then I would be just fine with that.

Kinda funny because those missing platforms are also partly why I think Yellow Devil is a boss. I think I've seen those moving platforms from Mega Man series in that stage but why are they missing here? I guess they can be off-screen or they might disappear at times but it's still a bit odd.

Also in the E3 trailer where Yellow Devil first appeared Mega Man entered from the left side and Yellow Devil appeared in front of him while no music is playing although it may be for trailer purposes. If I recall correctly that happens in the Mega Man game too. No music and Yellow Devil appears (although from behind Mega Man), the music starts after Yellow Devil opens his eye.

I don't see why they couldn't use the same stage for boss battle. They've done that with Master Hand appearing in Final Destination. It's rare but it could happen.

It just seems like a wasted opportunity to have him as a stage hazard and not a boss but if he works as a stage hazard I can't complain. I'm going to have fun playing this game whatever he turns out to be. (I've used he all the time although Yellow Devil is a robot and thus genderless...)

I programmed a simple tool that copies all Switch screenshots from an SD card and places them to folders according to the game:
Link

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Caryslan

Romeo wrote:

it should be fun, that's what it's all about
but people define "fun" differently

some people just want to sit down with their friends and play a few rounds of super smash bros., but others prefer playing it competitively

you can ALWAYS play a game casually (even if it has complex mechanics in it), just play however you want with your friends (you can just ignore the complex mechanics)

but you can't play competitively when the game is dumbed down and you can't get a real and meaningful advandate by playing it way more than all the casual players
a starcraft 2 pro will never lose against a bronze/silver/gold player, etc.... if i play ssb a lot i should not be able to lose vs people who have no intention of playing the game competitively

there needs to be something that sets me apart... there needs to be something that i will only acquire by playing the game intensely

Why are you not playing 1 on 1s with other competive players? There are tons out there, and they will be a great test of your skill. I've played tons of them myself over the years. While I do agree that Smash 4 needs a better online matchmaking system, blaming people who want to play items is unfair if you play the public online modes.

Where are you running into all the casual players? Outside of public, there are numerous people who want to play 1 on 1 or Team Battle matches that play serious matches. Melee was the same way, as was 64. If you wanted to play serious matches, go look and challenge people who share that same mindset. Stop expecting people to play the same way as you.

Some people want to play Smash like its a party game. You want a serious match, go find people who share that same desire. I used to play Ladders on a site called All is Brawl. I played with tons of serious players. There is a way to gauge their skill level, you just have to find it.

By the way, how are you losing to casual players outside of agreeing to play matches with items on and on stages that are less netural? I'm not the greatest player in the world, but even in the Public online, I can destroy casual Ikes who play the same character as me. I can dominate matches when I play casual unless they get lucky(item spawns near me, they get a Final Smash) or I get careless and they score a KO on me.

But if you're playing 1 on 1, how are you losing to casuals? I lose to competitive players that are better than me, but a less-skilled player or a Casual will usually lose to me.

Edited on by Caryslan

Caryslan

Orngeblu

Not trying to insult anyone here, just debate.

I'll agree L-canceling isn't necessary, and is just artificial difficulty, but wavedashing has it's uses. As I said before, you can use it in place of roll because it's faster, and you can do anything out of it. It's a zoning tool. I'm not saying it needs to come back in Smash 4, but I like the techs, and there's no way he's going to bring them back, so I do hope Sakurai can somehow make the game more fast paced without these techniques.

I also don't like when people objectively say Smash should be played one way. If that's not what you're saying, then excuse me. There is fun without items, too, by playing friendly matches with other players, learning from your mistakes and improving yourself as a player with your favorite character, learning new to tactics, etc. An example is the Smash Boards arena, the players there play online friendlies every day, and they get new players once in a while. One wolf player (This is a Brawl player), who I won't name, went from spamming Forward-smash and Down-smash to well-spaced Back-airs, and well, whatever makes a good Wolf player in general. He still plays.

Edited on by Orngeblu

Brawl Friend Code: 3395-4738-9505
I also have a 3DS and Wii U.

<3 Smash Bros.

Nintendo Network ID: Orngeblu

Caryslan

Orngeblu wrote:

Not trying to insult anyone here, just debate.

I'll agree L-canceling isn't necessary, and is just artificial difficulty, but wavedashing has it's uses. As I said before, you can use it in place of roll because it's faster, and you can do anything out of it. It's a zoning tool. I'm not saying it needs to come back in Smash 4, but I like the techs, and there's no way he's going to bring them back, so I do hope Sakurai can somehow make the game more fast paced without these techniques.

I also don't like when people objectively say Smash should be played one way. If that's not what you're saying, then excuse me. There is fun without items, too, by playing friendly matches with other players, learning from your mistakes and improving yourself as a player with your favorite character, learning new to tactics, etc. An example is the Smash Boards arena. I don't go there often anymore, but the players there play online friendlies every day, and they get new players once in a while. One wolf player (This is a Brawl player), who I won't name, went from spamming Forward-smash and Down-smash to well-spaced Back-airs, and well, whatever makes a good Wolf player in general. He still plays.

I improved my Ike and Ganondorf by playing people in ladder matches. I have no problem with Smash Bros offering depth to serious players who want to play the game based purely on skill. The issue I have is when people go out of their way to as you said, bash one style of gameplay while acting like their style alone is the only real way to play.

There is no wrong way to play Smash Bros. That's why it offers insane gameplay options that other fighting games tend to lack or simply don't have. That's why I feel a mix of Brawl and Melee's gameplay is the best way to go. And as much as I love to play serious 1 on 1 matches, I still enjoy playing 4-player matches with items on.

This should not even be a debate. If you like one style of play over another, then that's good. Enjoy the game the way you like. But people need to stop acting like their way is the only way. If that were the case, Smash Bros would not have the options its provides.

Edited on by Caryslan

Caryslan

Orngeblu

Caryslan wrote:

I improved my Ike and Ganondorf by playing people in ladder matches. I have no problem with Smash Bros offering depth to serious players who want to play the game based purely on skill. The issue I have is when people go out of their way to as you said, bash one style of gameplay while acting like their style alone is the only real way to play.

There is no wrong way to play Smash Bros. That's why it offers insane gameplay options that other fighting games tend to lack or simply don't have. That's why I feel a mix of Brawl and Melee's gameplay is the best way to go. And as much as I love to play serious 1 on 1 matches, I still enjoy playing 4-player matches with items on.

This should not even be a debate. If you like one style of play over another, then that's good. Enjoy the game the way you like. But people need to stop acting like their way is the only way. If that were the case, Smash Bros would not have the options its provides.

Yep, that's how Smash should be played. Any way you want.

Edited on by Orngeblu

Brawl Friend Code: 3395-4738-9505
I also have a 3DS and Wii U.

<3 Smash Bros.

Nintendo Network ID: Orngeblu

TheLZdragon

Orngeblu wrote:

Not trying to insult anyone here, just debate.

I'll agree L-canceling isn't necessary, and is just artificial difficulty, but wavedashing has it's uses. As I said before, you can use it in place of roll because it's faster, and you can do anything out of it. It's a zoning tool. I'm not saying it needs to come back in Smash 4, but I like the techs, and there's no way he's going to bring them back, so I do hope Sakurai can somehow make the game more fast paced without these techniques.

I also don't like when people objectively say Smash should be played one way. If that's not what you're saying, then excuse me. There is fun without items, too, by playing friendly matches with other players, learning from your mistakes and improving yourself as a player with your favorite character, learning new to tactics, etc. An example is the Smash Boards arena, the players there play online friendlies every day, and they get new players once in a while. One wolf player (This is a Brawl player), who I won't name, went from spamming Forward-smash and Down-smash to well-spaced Back-airs, and well, whatever makes a good Wolf player in general. He still plays.

Well no competitive player likes more luck thrown in the mix when they play.

Nintendo Life Community Administrator

Splatoon 2 Rank: Splat S+, Rain S, Tower S

My Eeveeloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Snagrio

To change the subject here, I can't help but wonder if there won't be any new character announcements for this month and instead there will be a batch of them shown during the undoubtedly big Nintendo Direct in January (or this December, whichever one it is). The only reason I think this is because it's been a bit longer then usual between playable character reveals.

Of course I could be wrong and Sakurai will update the roster tomorrow or something along those ironic lines.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

Nintendaholic

i dont know anyone of my friends that like brawl over melee. brawl is disgustingly slow and simply is not as fun. im not sure what you guys mean when you say melee is too fast and too hard to control? its not that fast at all. and i dont remember anyone saying it was hard when it was the only option before brawl.

3ds fc:5112-3427-3255
wii u id: nintendaholic

Blast

I'm just glad SSB even exists. They are so much fun to play with friends and strangers!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Ragingrave

Blastoise-san wrote:

I'm just glad SSB even exists. They are so much fun to play with friends and strangers!

Don't remind me of the lag.

Ragingrave

Arminillo

I like Brawl better, I didn't think online was that bad, and I think tripping is a nice counter to being absolutely destroyed by faster characters.
BRING IT ON

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

Orngeblu

OdnetninAges wrote:

At my video game club yesterday, we played the original Super Smash Bros., but one member left because "Meta Knight isn't in it."

...
...
...
...
...

No.

Brawl Friend Code: 3395-4738-9505
I also have a 3DS and Wii U.

<3 Smash Bros.

Nintendo Network ID: Orngeblu

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic