Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 27,501 to 27,520 of 27,917

Megas75

Not surprised by the characters chosen above Bayonetta, though some of them do surprise me that they choose over Bayonetta like Inklings(especially considering how big Splatoon has gotten). So it kinda makes this a bit sketchy. I can see them choosing Bayonetta due to the surprise factor(not many people actually expected her)

Also if it's true that Isaac was actually one of the top characters I will cry, he was a character I wanted the most

IceClimbers wrote:

Here's the rundown:

-Mewtwo, Lucario: Both were moved to be DLC, but Lucario was secretly being worked on by a small group and was finished in time for the base game.

I figured that because Lucario was from Brawl, he'd be easier to work on, so it makes sense

-Lucas, Roy: There was to be one Melee vet and one Brawl vet for DLC (other than Mewtwo). After an internal vote, they decided on these two.

Sounds like Mewtwo was a character considered since the game began, and considering Roy's competition, he got lucky. And I guess the folks really love Mother

-Corrin: It was determined that they wanted a character from a recently released or upcoming game. Sakurai's staff convinced him to pick Corrin, and he's arguably more marketable than the likes of Elma or even Impa.

Corrin's game will probably be out by the time he's released, so they're probably hoping to gauge interest whereas Elma and Impa's games have been out for a while

-Wolf: Veterans were deemed irrelevant after Lucas and Roy were chosen through internal voting. Didn't receive enough worldwide votes for them to reconsider.
-Young Link, Pichu: See Wolf.

Unlike Pichu and Young Link, I'm still surprised Wolf didn't come back, as he seemed like a shoe-in, especially with a new game coming out(and he's confirmed to return in it

-Snake: Not even considered - deemed impossible due to legal issues (**** Konami)

Ballot started around the time Konami went crazy. Good to know I can still blame Konami for this

-Banjo & Kazooie: Deemed impossible - legal issues, Microsoft ownership despite what Phil Spencer said.

I doubt Phil Spencer has much of a say in it, as much as I hate to say it. They'd still have to get through the corporate heads at Microsoft

-King K Rool: Not been used in a long time, so he was deemed irrelevant. North American fanbase was vocal enough to warrant a Mii costume though.

aw snap

-Isaac: Irrelevant due to poor sales of Golden Sun.

Did they really have to get rid of him as an assist trophy though? Now his complete omission on top of this feels like a swift kick to the balls of Golden Sun fans

-Inkling: Initially considered irrelevant due to Splatoon being brand new, was then reconsidered. Ultimately deemed to be cost inefficient, so it got a Mii costume.

yet they had no problem including Corrin. This post alone makes this guys claims really sketchy to me. To me it still feels like a huge waste of not to capitalize on Splatoon's success

-Ice Climbers: Technical issues, already deconfirmed.

curse you 3DS

-Ridley: Already deconfirmed.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think we need to move on from Ridley

-Shovel Knight, Shantae: Indies were apparently disregarded, and deemed "impossible".

From a business standpoint this makes sense. While Indie devs were perfectly happy with getting their characters in Smash(Yacht and Wayforward had entire campaigns for Shantae and Shovel Knight for f***'s sake), they likely wouldn't have gotten a strong enough reaction or interest to make money, especially compared to the likes of Ryu and Cloud

-Rayman: Probably legal issues, not enough votes.

Also pretty sketchy considering he got a lot of support and the fact that he already has a trophy in the game

-Dixie Kong: Not deemed irrelevant, but probably didn't receive enough votes.

It's possible they could have thought she would've been too similar to Diddy Kong

-Shrek, Goku, John Cena, etc.: Impossible - not video game characters.

Shocker

-Sora: Deemed impossible - legal issues with Disney.

People need to realize that Square doesn't own the character so they don't have much of a say on his chances. Nintendo would have to go to Disney and Disney would probably rather include The Mouse himself instead(and Disney is as stingy as Nintendo when it comes to how they treat their characters and IPs

Funny thing: Vote for Shrek, Spongebob, John Cena, etc. weren't considered to be legitimate votes, and were tossed out. Votes for Goku on the other hand were actually considered to be legitimate votes.

Untitled

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@IceClimbers

So Isaac had no marketing future.. but we got Duck Hunt... which, just got a VC release.

Where was this logic when Ice Climbers were added in Melee? Their original game was bleh, and they only have that ONE game to their name.

Nothing against those characters, mind. But this just seems to be more "rules" that have blatent contradictions. At this point, it's confirmed that there are only two rules; character in question has to have originated in a video game, and they or their franchise has to have been featured on Nintendo's systems. Every other "rule"? Horribly bent with Cloud's reveal, and obliterated with Bayonetta's. We really don't have any more excuses for why any given Nintendo character CAN'T be in Smash, and I'm not sure we have many (or any) for 3rd parties who fit the above two criteria.

And who knows when those last two rules might get thrown out. Now THAT'LL be something to watch.

Any "rules" that have existed have began losing meaning ever since Snake was included in Brawl. I think that the only rules relevant now are 1) Video Game character 2) appeared on a Nintendo console 3) Sakurai feels like it

Edited on by Megas75

Steam/NNID/Xbox Gamertag - Megas75

-Green-

From what I've seen, Sakurai seems like an honest to goodness troll.

Edit: I don't follow Smash much so I could be wrong.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

IceClimbers

To be completely fair, it's hard to verify this guy, if not impossible. Not sure if I can necessarily trust the guy. Still interesting nonetheless.

@DarthNocturnal I imagine most of these business logistics and "rules" only apply because it's DLC. The base game roster wouldn't have business logistics holding it down anywhere near as much.

@Megas75 Well, the guy didn't address Rayman specifically as far as reasoning goes. He did say that Rayman was 10th in North America. What I put was actually more speculation on my part. The character was probably just unlucky.

As for Inkling, he claims that the character was deemed irrelevant at first due to the franchise being too new to properly gauge interest. This was before the game's breakout success. It was reconsidered, but they decided that it was too cost inefficient - as in, it wasn't worth spending the time to heavily modify the game's engine to be able to properly portray the ink mechanics. So, it was a combination of technical issues combined with a lack of time. Seems plausible to me. Even if this guy isn't legit, he's probably right about Inkling.

If this guy's claims are true, then Wolf had some horrible luck. That's about all I can say there.

Another thing: Apparently Intelligent Systems staff were brought in to work on Corrin conceptually, and they had been pushing for more anime-like influence to be used than Smash normally uses for humanoid characters.

If true, then that's hilarious.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Gridatttack

So apparently Wolf was left because the internal voting chose Lucas instead. Thank you biased Japan :v

And not enough votes to reconsider? Wolf was always at the top of the voting surveys.
I would take Wolf over Lucas anyday...

Well, here's hoping the next game in the series is good enough and it includes Wolf...

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, a remake of Super Mario Bros 1 and The Lost Levels for NSMBDS.
new 3DS: 0276-2211-7514

3DS Friend Code: 0276-2211-7514 | Nintendo Network ID: Gridatttack

Pootypie

Some rules seem pretty contradictory. For no future we have Duck Hunt, we didn't havehis game for so long. For very new games then why do we have Corrin? I alsp don't like how they disregarded vets. What's the point of the ballot if you are going to disregard thousands of votes? Seems like Bayonetta wan't the actual winner but Sakurai just decided to make these "rules." Well if this is true anyways.

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

KO-Cub

Gridatttack wrote:

Well, here's hoping the next game in the series is good enough and it includes Wolf...

And Wolf Link, and Okami Amaterasu if you wanna make a "Who let the dogs into Smash 5"

Wavedashes behind you Got some of dat Maylay?
FE Heroes: 0964602082

3DS Friend Code: 5343-9126-6120 | Nintendo Network ID: KOCub

cookiex

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@IceClimbers

So Isaac had no marketing future.. but we got Duck Hunt... which, just got a VC release.

Where was this logic when Ice Climbers were added in Melee? Their original game was bleh, and they only have that ONE game to their name.

The difference is that Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, R.O.B, Game & Watch etc. were part of the base game. The rules would likely be more lax because there's less stakes on what characters make it in (besides the important ones) when what sells is the game itself. With DLC you are selling the character, and if any of those characters weren't in the base game there'd be no chance in heck they would have even been considered for DLC because they wouldn't sell at all.

And while Ice Climbers were in Melee and Brawl, Sakurai did say that the lack of a marketable future was part of the reason they didn't attempt to find a workaround to get them working on 3DS, so the rule can apply to them.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

NintendoFan64

@IceClimbers Yeah...sorry, but I'm having a bit of a hard time believing all that when the source is from Gamefaqs. Also, WOW. Seeing a lot of salt in there...

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

MegaMari0

a little random, but I didn't want to start a new thread. my local target's stock of Wii Us(bundles or otherwise) were completely sold out. People were calling asking if any were left(overheard an employee talking to some customer on the phone) and I was pleased to hear they were gone. On the flipside, i was not pleased to know people weren't getting Wii Us because they were sold out.

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

veeflames

Splatoon has no future?
Well, I'm going to take that whole ballot information with a grain of salt, then. However, assuming it's true at least they did reconsider Inklings.

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

cookiex

IceClimbers wrote:

Funny thing: Vote for Shrek, Spongebob, John Cena, etc. weren't considered to be legitimate votes, and were tossed out. Votes for Goku on the other hand were actually considered to be legitimate votes.

This makes sense when you consider that Bandai Namco publishes the Dragon Ball games and had a hand in Smash's development. Goku would technically be their second representative after Pac-Man.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

IceClimbers

@Vee_Flames: It wasn't that Splatoon had no future. Inkling was deemed irrelevant initially because the franchise was too new to properly gauge interest. This decision was made prior to Splatoon's launch, of course.

Anyways, the big thing here is that marketability and being able to pitch it to Nintendo's higher ups was a major factor, primarily because it's DLC. I imagine those things do apply to some extent on the base game as well, but as @cookiex said, they're much more lax.

Even if what this guy is saying isn't true, the business and marketability stuff definitely played a part in the DLC choices, especially Corrin.

From the sound of it, Sakurai/Nintendo started negotiations for many 3rd party characters well before the Ballot closed, and most of them fell through at some point. Negotiations for Cloud went far smoother than they expected, so they decided to do him outside of the Ballot. From there, Bayonetta was the highest placing character that was, as Sakurai said, "negotiable and realizable". The part he didn't mention is "justifiable".

I'm kinda two minded on this guy. On one hand, it's a guy using his friend's account on GameFAQs of all places, which is a massive red flag. On the other hand, what this guy is saying makes a TON of sense in a retrospective view.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

CapeSmash

IceClimbers wrote:

-Mewtwo, Lucario: Both were moved to be DLC, but Lucario was secretly being worked on by a small group and was finished in time for the base game.

2013: "Okay guys, I want you all to work on Lucario and Mewtwo later next year so we can test the waters for DLC."

2014: "Mr. Sakurai, we were actually secretly working on Lucario this whole time. He's done now."

This is hilarious.

IceClimbers wrote:

-Bayonetta: Irrelevant due to poor sales of Bayonetta 2, legal issues, and too sexual. She was deemed "impossible."

There we go. Now it's more inline with the rest of the post. If Bayonetta wasn't the ballot winner, the dude who wrote this post would probably put something like that. LOL

IceClimbers wrote:

-Isaac: Irrelevant due to poor sales of Golden Sun.

Golden Sun and its sequel sold a million copies each. The third game is the only one that bombed. On another note: Golden Sun series has sold 2 million copies worldwide. Fire Emblem series sold 5 million worldwide. I guess Golden Sun is worthy of 4 reps now.

What I gathered from this post is that literally every highly requested character (except Bayonetta) is impossible in some way. There is no reason to believe this guy. He doesn't have evidence for anything that he's saying. This is also coming from GameFAQs... lol.

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

Shinion

@IceClimbers: except obviously Sakurai did not lie, because all this is unconfirmed rumour gobbledygook. Konami lied, when they said Kojima was on holiday, as that was proven to be untrue when Konami's lawyers forbidden him from accepting his awards at the Game Awards. Notice the difference? This is the kind of s*** which makes the Internet so scummy, a guy works his butt off on a videogame and greenlights a poll for fans to have their say on his game, then one random guy posts an essay he could've made up over his Corn Flakes this morning and we're ready to call Sakurai a liar. Shame on anyone even considering this and no wonder Sakurai hates us all.

Shinion

Pootypie

Yeah I think this probably isn't true, it may be believable but there hasn't been anything true from gamefaqs yet.

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Grumblevolcano

Shrek being the final Smash DLC release would've been absolutely hilarious, also would've had the potential for adding some even better music than what's in game currently like Smash Mouth's "All Star".

Yes it had no chance of happening but to be honest even that would've been better received than Federation Force.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NintendoFan64

Y'know...sometimes I come across things on the internet that just make me laugh...this is one of them:
http://www.christiantoday.com/article/super.smash.bros.4.crea...
"At the moment, there are a total of eight playable Fire Emblem characters in "Super Smash Bros. 4," including Corrin, the two versions of Robin, Ike, Lucina, Roy, Mega Man, and Luigi."

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

UGXwolf

Since I saw a lot of people criticizing the irrelevant character rule as being contradictory, remember that this rule ONLY applied to the ballot character. I would figure they had a similar rule for DLC characters, but NOT for in-game characters.

I think the real sad thing here is that Lucas getting in was kind of a beacon of hope for Wolf fans, but in reality, Lucas's inclusion was Wolf's last chance, unless he saw overwhelming success in the ballots. And clearly he didn't. Still no ill will to Lucas or his fans.

I feel like Sakurai and crew should realize how much Wolf stands out as being the one character left with no inclusion and no excuse and maybe, JUST MAYBE we'll get another Lucario situation for him. (One can hope.)

Edited on by UGXwolf

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

JunkosBoobies

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Y'know...sometimes I come across things on the internet that just make me laugh...this is one of them:
http://www.christiantoday.com/article/super.smash.bros.4.crea...
"At the moment, there are a total of eight playable Fire Emblem characters in "Super Smash Bros. 4," including Corrin, the two versions of Robin, Ike, Lucina, Roy, Mega Man, and Luigi."

Mega Man and Luigi, but no Marth.

...This has to be a joke, right?

Discord: JunkosBoobies#5379
Backloggery
MAL
DeviantArt
Avatar: Junko Enoshima (Danganronpa)

3DS Friend Code: 0447-7094-2346 | Nintendo Network ID: DeviousCrossing | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic