Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 27,481 to 27,500 of 27,917

Uncle_Franklin

Magnus from Kid Icarus Uprising would be a good Cloud clone.

Incidentally, perhaps a Kid Icarus for NX could be Sakurai's next project.

Uncle_Franklin

KO-Cub

Aha/ Right after that big long vay-kay that is.

Wavedashes behind you Got some of dat Maylay?
FE Heroes: 0964602082

3DS Friend Code: 5343-9126-6120 | Nintendo Network ID: KOCub

Grumblevolcano

yokokazuo wrote:

Don't think I saw anyone comment about it on here, but has anyone noticed that Bayonetta is the first character to use an actual gun in Smash? I believe Sakurai didn't want actual guns in before or something which is why they are all explosion or energy based and why Snake didn't use any guns in Brawl. Don't know if it's related, but the Ray Gun in Smash 64 fired more like a real gun and had more gun-like sound effects, but it was changed to be more like a laser in later games.

Rocket launchers and grenade launchers are real guns so Snake is the first.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TeeJay

@Grumblevolcano: You know what he meant.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

UGXwolf

Hate to burst someone's bubble, but didn't Sakurai basically say he wasn't continuing Kid Icarus? I mean, it follows logic. This is a guy who hates sequalizing his creations. The reason he keeps doing Smash is because he can't imagine a Smash without him, but Kid Icarus was around before him and will likely continue to exist afterwards.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Rexcalibr

I wish the Tomadachi Life stage was in the Wii U version of the game.

Rexcalibr

Shinion

@Rexcalibr: I think it's because Tomodatchi Life was a 3DS exclusive that they did that, like Lumiose City and the Golden Plains stage. Gotta give some stages exclusively to the 3DS version, and I think they've done a good job. The one I'll always be miffed about is Magicant though, why you no give us HD Magicant Sakurai?

Shinion

Rexcalibr

@TheLastLugia:
that's true. At least we have the Tomadachi Life music.

I'm not that familiar with Bayonetta but she reminds me a lot of Morrigan from Darkstalkers.

Rexcalibr

Gridatttack

Anyone else going to join the tourney today?

Looking forward to play with some users here again.

Too bad about the random stage select.
Will suck playing on 75 M

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, a remake of Super Mario Bros 1 and The Lost Levels for NSMBDS.
new 3DS: 0276-2211-7514

3DS Friend Code: 0276-2211-7514 | Nintendo Network ID: Gridatttack

veeflames

@Gridatttack: I am. I guess it'll be a blast fighting your Shulk again. 😊

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Iggly

I'll probably play so I can test out Cloud against non For Glory players, so I may be a bit more bad than I usually am.

I'm not lazy! ...I'm just very forgetful. :|

3DS Friend Code: 1177-9364-2530 | Nintendo Network ID: MerchantAnna | Twitter:

Pootypie

Wait there's a tourney today? I didn't know that, I should check to see if I can play it.

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

OorWullie

I just put it on there for a few 1v1's and it told me I have to wait 10 minutes for disconnecting from the last match.My last match was yesterday and I never disconnected as far as i can remember.Even if I had,surely the 10 minute ban doesn't carry over till the next time you want to play?

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

yokokazuo

@OorWullie I've had that a couple times... No clue how it happens, I think both times I was also spectating the day before I tried to go online.
I also hate how now in my records it says that I've purposely disconnected from 2 matches.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

Pootypie

The smash ballot only had 1.8 million votes... Doesn't that seem too little?

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Megas75

@TheGreatLord: I'd figure it mostly die hard Smash and Nintendo fans would've participated

Steam/NNID/Xbox Gamertag - Megas75

IceClimbers

Now here's something interesting. There's a guy on GameFAQs that claims to have been working for a 3rd party marketing company doing market research for Smash 4, and he claims that he got access to the Ballot results, among other information.

Apparently Bayonetta being #1 in Europe and "Top 5" in America were only after non-picks were excluded. In terms of raw data, Bayonetta was #9 in America, and #3 in Europe.

For DLC, they had decided to only include one Melee vet and one Brawl vet, and after an internal vote, they decided on Lucas and Roy. Due to this, veterans were dismissed completely from the Ballot, unless they did extremely well in multiple regions, which didn't happen.

The characters that placed above Bayonetta in America (in no particular order) were Snake, Goku, Sora, Banjo Kazooie, Isaac, Shovel Knight, Wolf, and Inkling. Snake, Goku, Sora, and Banjo were considered completely unrealizable (obviously due to legal reasons). The others either didn't do well in other regions or were placed on lower priority.

Apparently characters considered "Impossible" were outright ignored: Non-video game characters (Goku, Shrek), already deconfirmed characters (Ridley, Ice Climbers), certain 3rd party characters (including most indies and opposing console exclusive characters, though this is a gray area), and real people.

The other category was "Irrelevant characters". These characters weren't outright ignored, but were placed on the lowest priority because the dev team couldn't rationalize their inclusion over other choices to Nintendo's corporate heads and some investors. This primarily consisted of characters that weren't deemed to have an immediate future in Nintendo marketing. This is where characters like King K Rool, Isaac, Inkling, and the veterans were placed. In Inkling's case, the character was initially deemed "irrelevant" due to Splatoon being too new to properly gauge interest, but they then reconsidered. However, Inkling was deemed too cost inefficient due to needing to change the game's engine to properly portray the ink mechanic.

Another factoid was that Mewtwo was initially planned for the base game, but then both him and Lucario were soon planned to be DLC to test the waters. A small group had worked on Lucario on the side though, and were therefore able to get him in the base game. So yes, Sakurai essentially lied. DLC was planned from the get go in some sense, but at the same time he didn't lie because Mewtwo wasn't worked on until the base game had finished development and was on the production lines.

TL;DR: If this guy is to be believed, various characters didn't get in because of various reasons.

Here's the rundown:

-Mewtwo, Lucario: Both were moved to be DLC, but Lucario was secretly being worked on by a small group and was finished in time for the base game.
-Lucas, Roy: There was to be one Melee vet and one Brawl vet for DLC (other than Mewtwo). After an internal vote, they decided on these two.
-Corrin: It was determined that they wanted a character from a recently released or upcoming game. Sakurai's staff convinced him to pick Corrin, and he's arguably more marketable than the likes of Elma or even Impa.
-Bayonetta: Ballot winner.
-Wolf: Veterans were deemed irrelevant after Lucas and Roy were chosen through internal voting. Didn't receive enough worldwide votes for them to reconsider.
-Young Link, Pichu: See Wolf.
-Snake: Not even considered - deemed impossible due to legal issues (**** Konami)
-Banjo & Kazooie: Deemed impossible - legal issues, Microsoft ownership despite what Phil Spencer said.
-King K Rool: Not been used in a long time, so he was deemed irrelevant. North American fanbase was vocal enough to warrant a Mii costume though.
-Isaac: Irrelevant due to poor sales of Golden Sun.
-Inkling: Initially considered irrelevant due to Splatoon being brand new, was then reconsidered. Ultimately deemed to be cost inefficient, so it got a Mii costume.
-Ice Climbers: Technical issues, already deconfirmed.
-Ridley: Already deconfirmed.
-Shovel Knight, Shantae: Indies were apparently disregarded, and deemed "impossible".
-Rayman: Probably legal issues, not enough votes.
-Dixie Kong: Not deemed irrelevant, but probably didn't receive enough votes.
-Shrek, Goku, John Cena, etc.: Impossible - not video game characters.
-Sora: Deemed impossible - legal issues with Disney.

Funny thing: Vote for Shrek, Spongebob, John Cena, etc. weren't considered to be legitimate votes, and were tossed out. Votes for Goku on the other hand were actually considered to be legitimate votes.

So yeah, it's pretty interesting if true. Take it with a grain of salt though. It seems pretty believable though.

Here's one of the pages of the thread: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wi...

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic