Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 27,381 to 27,400 of 27,917

LzWinky

Quality and popularity can go hand in hand, but it's hard to prove how popular a franchise is just based on one game's "quality"

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

martinskrtel37

CharlieSmile wrote:

martinskrtel37 wrote:

someone from Triforce Heroes perhaps?

that's a cool idea actually

it was a joke, not a cool idea!

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

kkslider5552000

martinskrtel37 wrote:

you just have to face reality, in 2015 Fire Emblem has been more popular then Zelda.

Like most of Nintendo (and increasingly a ton of entertainment), Zelda's popularity is heavily based on brand name/nostalgia. Until Fire Emblem has even one game reach the levels of popularity (or even remotely close) outside of Japan of Zelda 1, OOT or Twilight Princess, this is something that would take significant research to contradict.

The most you could argue is that it's been more popular in the minds of nerds who specifically focus on new Nintendo titles, and even that's something you can't exactly prove easily.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

UGXwolf

@CharlieSmile: I think you took the one thing you didn't like about my post and ran with it as if saying "no, I will NOT make my own games" constitutes a valid retort to everything else I brought up. However, it doesn't really even remotely counter the concept that the game is the game designer's intellectual property and that you were never guaranteed, nor did you or anyone else but the developer have any real claim or right to certain kinds of content in said games.

Sakurai putting Corrin in this game is not "a problem," as you referred to it in the post I was replying to. Hell, if Sakurai wanted, he could just work on his own personal Smash game for the rest of his life, so long as resources allow and never let a single one of us even play it. As he is the creator, that is his right. Just like if you were the creator of Smash, you would have every right to bar all Fire Emblem characters from the game, and no matter how dumb an idea someone thinks that is, it's still not really a "problem."

Now, what would constitute a problem is a character that was so obscure and so contested that the DLC sales don't even cover the cost of development. But from what I've been hearing and seeing, Corrin, while not even remotely as hype as Cloud or Bayonetta, is still going to be selling very well, as most people seem to think he's actually a very interesting character, which means that Sakurai pretty much hit the nail on the head with this one.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

CapeSmash

I think I know the reason why we have so many Fire Emblem characters. The Fire Emblem series in Smash has two special cases. Lucina and Roy. I'll explain:

Lucina was originally going to be a model swap alt for Marth. But the team wanted to get rid of the tipper mechanic for her, so they assigned her to her own slot.

They didn't add Roy as DLC because they wanted another Fire Emblem character; they added him in because he was a highly requested cut veteran.

There were only going to be 3 Fire Emblem characters base game (until Lucina), and if Roy wasn't DLC, there would only be 1 Fire Emblem character as DLC. So yeah. The Fire Emblem series in Smash just so happens to have two "special case characters". Take them out of the picture, and there were only 4 Fire Emblem characters intended. If Lucina and Roy weren't in the game, then I doubt Corn (yes, I'm calling to call him/her that) would have gotten so much hate.

Huh. I feel less baffled now...

Edited on by CapeSmash

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

KO-Cub

Tho, in thus creating a Marth clone created a Devil, so it seems to the people after people analyzed Corrin and came into a realization. If Lucina was an alt to begin with, then the "Too many sword characters", "Moar Fire Emblem... Great." memes would not exist. Then who would dare to think twice about judging unique Corrin, especially his 'promote' reasons. Lucina doesn't add anything, other than take a slot like other clones and rep something Sakurai still could have done without making her, her own character. Their we have 5 FE characters without Lucy. Not too over rep'ed and a good decent range of characters with uniqueness to the rest of the franchise. But Lucina breaks this balance. She has Counter making it feel like adding Counter to a character is a meme, same moves that make people feel like Marth, Roy and Ike are all the same. If she was Alt, no one would care, but put her in an alt now, and the internet would break.

Dr. Mario was added just because Sakurai thought something. I can be happy about somethings, but we all won't agree with everything Sakurai has done.

Edited on by KO-Cub

Wavedashes behind you Got some of dat Maylay?
FE Heroes: 0964602082

3DS Friend Code: 5343-9126-6120 | Nintendo Network ID: KOCub

Pootypie

Rexcalibr wrote:

I kind of wish they would add the Inklings instead of this new Fire Emblem character. I feel like there are too many sword fighters in the game now.

After Corrin gets added there will only be 10 sword fighters... The real complaint for Corrin is too many fire emblem characters, too many sword fighters is a lame complaint.

Edited on by Pootypie

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Pootypie

DarthNocturnal wrote:

Didn't Ryu get flak before release (leaks happened, remember), because everyone thought he'd be a bland character? Then the Direct came and, oh look, he has a unique fighting style based on his home series. He's probably one of my favorite additions. And I'm horrible at Street Fighter.

Same with Roy, if I'm not mistaken. Everyone was just expecting a Melee copy / paste.

I actually really liked Ryu, he is my favorite addition and probably will stay like that. I actually use him everytime I play. Back then I was doubting Roy because we already had Lucina, but then I was happy to see ACTUAL changes to Roy unlike Mewtwo. Cloud reveal just had me surprised but I wasn't disappointed. Corrin really upsetted me about yet ANOTHER fire emblem character but I can't just not try him out because his moveset kooks really good. Bayonetta... I will always hate her and I don't want to download her, but I can't do that since my brother will download her.

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Azooooz

I'm glad that this is over. To be honest, I have had enough of people making some silly character requests or posting some leaked content on the web, which it spoils the surprise. It's time to move on, people. Whether you like it or not, Sakurai has other projects to create. And the most important of them all, we should all be grateful to Sakurai for all the work he did, and the pain he endured to create a game that we will all cherish in our memory and to our future children.

Sakurai, the word thank you isn't enough for me to say about your marvellous achievement. We are very pleased with what you gave us, and we are wishing you the very best in the future.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

UGXwolf

I honestly think people just need to stop complaining about a character that takes up little extra dev time, really takes absolutely nothing away from the game, adds another character (because I'm sorry to break the bad news, but slots really don't exist. They never have.), and were she not in the game, no one could've been added in her place except for another costume clone.

Ok, ignore Lucina for a second. Now we have five FE characters. Is that really such a problem? Roy was a fan favorite. He was going to come back (though I think three Melee veterans and one Brawl veteran feels really unbalanced, but as Melee is the fan favorite between the two, I can't pretend I'm actually surprised.) Corrin doesn't really look like so much of a problem, anymore, when you're looking at essentially four FE characters and two bonus characters.

Again, I would have liked to see some other characters added to the game, but Corrin looks really fun and interesting. I'm just sick and tired of hearing people say "there are too many anime characters," "there are too many sword fighters," "there are too many counter moves," etc. If you don't like Japanese-style animation reminiscent of the cartoons that have become exceedingly popular in Japan, then maybe stop being so drawn to a Japanese company. (Makes it sound silly, now, doesn't it?) Swords are an extremely common weapon in video games, especially from family friendly titles and Japanese developers as they take little work to make them less mature and they are very popular in Japan. Countering is just one of the most basic of fighting techniques and its high representation in Smash is testament to how fundamental it is as a method of fighting. Stop complaining about a Japanese fighting game being a Japanese fighting game.

00a

I just noticed someting. Clearly we don't have enough Fire Emblem characters. 6 FE reps is way too few. We need at least 12 more and we don't acknowledge the fact that other big franchises have few character reps (DK, StarFox, Kirby, Metroid, etc.) sarcasm sarcasm

I know now, without a doubt, Keyloggery is light!
I make stupid videos

Kizashi

Thank you UGXwolf, just thank you.
I've been reading mostly disappointed comments on the latter smash direct, and it was seriously irritating.
You stole my words on your comments up there, it seems like people don't realise what a dlc character as corrin is.
Whatever if it's a sword fighter, a fire emblem character or anything. It's a NEW character, with a NEW gameplay, another discovery to enjoy or not. And this, we only know when we try. Certain characters don't appeal to us, but when we give them a shot, we sometimes realise we were missing something.
It just looks like people couldn't bear that their fav character didn't make it and are spitting their rage on a character for stupid reasons.

Kizashi

Nintendo Network ID: lakshry

UGXwolf

@Kizashi: Exactly. I mean, I know I'm about to really tick off some major fans out there with what I'm about to say, but I don't give two flying flips about the Mother series as I've never played it and probably won't get around to it for quite some time. Given the way the series works, and the size of the franchise, and considering how the fanbase is more of a vocal minority than a vast majority, I feel that one character is all the rep that series truly deserves, BUT, you don't see me running around saying Lucas shouldn't have been DLC. Saying that Ness should've been removed in Brawl. You don't see that. Know why? Because there are people that love those characters and the games they come from. Because whether or not Mother deserved two reps isn't really the issue. Lucas was a fan favorite and bringing him back was just natural. The only thing that disappoints me about the DLC is that Wolf wasn't in it, but that's not going to make me go spitting fire about what characters didn't get in, because no matter how much I can't use and don't want to fight against magic users and psychics, I will still enjoy having them in the game.

00a

[quote=Mario90125]What's wrong with Smash 4 having too many FE characters?quote] Because most of them are Marth clones.

I know now, without a doubt, Keyloggery is light!
I make stupid videos

Kizashi

Saying Roy is a Marth clone is a great mistake. You clearly don't play roy as you play marth.
First, they don't have the same weight, therefore speed and aerial mechanics.
Second, the sword works very differently, has a total different damage and projection set.
Third, although some of his attacks look similar, a good number of them changed or don't have the exact same effects.
You mustn't have played these two characters much if you imply they are clones.

Kizashi

Nintendo Network ID: lakshry

Pootypie

I actually thought that Corrin was going to be the Marth clone at the very beginning. When they showed his up air and down smash and they looked just like Marth's moves but then they showed more of him which made him not a marth clone.

Pootypie

CapeSmash

"When adding Kamui (Corrin), I was concerned that Fire Emblem had too much representation, and by the time I was finished, no other franchise recieved individuality, so thanks. It will take a bit more time, but please stay tuned!"

(Translated by Nintenzilla from SmashBoards.)

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic