Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 27,361 to 27,380 of 27,917

NintendoFan64

CharlieSmile wrote:

WaveGhoul wrote:

@TeeJay:
throwing in 6 FE characters is ridiculous, especially coming from a franchise that doesn't have the mass popularity of something like Mario or Zelda, especially outside of japan.

I want to know why it's fair that Fire Emblem (a series that spent half it's life as a Japan only series AND almost faced cancellation) gets SIX characters representing...
and Zelda - one of Nintendos longest running, most beloved franchises - only gets four characters?

...Zelda has 5 characters, not 4.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Eel

@TeeJay: Mike was a generic cool teen character from a NES Game created in the 90's to attract American (and European, but mostly American) audiences.

I assume the game was not very successful, since the series never left the NES, but it generated a bit of a following of people that regard it as one of the best games on the system.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

LadyCharlie

@NintendoFan64: You are correct. Thank you for pointing that out. I had it in my head that Sheik and Zelda were still one character for a second. Wishful thinking on my part!

LadyCharlie

Switch Friend Code: SW-1787-3887-5088 | 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6315-2933

TeeJay

@WaveGhoul: Then you can't make the argument that "nobody knows" certain characters being added to the roster when the characters you want will go over everybody's head who isn't at least 30.

@Morpheel Thanks!

Anywho, you guys are free to continue wallowing in your salt. It's not gonna change anything. I'll be over there, enjoying my "sword weilding anime otaku characters" or whatever label you've slapped on them this time. Toodles.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

LadyCharlie

@WaveGhoul: Silly me!

LadyCharlie

martinskrtel37

CharlieSmile wrote:

@TeeJay:
throwing in 6 FE characters is ridiculous, especially coming from a franchise that doesn't have the mass popularity of something like Mario or Zelda, especially outside of japan.

nothing except Mario and Zelda have the popularity of Mario and Zelda.

WaveGhoul wrote:

I want to know why it's fair that Fire Emblem (a series that spent half it's life as a Japan only series AND almost faced cancellation) gets SIX characters representing...

how is "almost facing cancellation" relevant at all?

1. it's been absolutely huge over the past 10 years
2. it's characters are immensely popular in the Smash series
3. it has a unique history with Smash - Roy in Melee breaking the mould for recognised characters with games out - ending up being so popular he was fan DLC. Sakurai as you said loves the series and rightly so - look how big it is now

and Zelda - one of Nintendos longest running, most beloved franchises - gets less than that (with five slots)?

so there are ELEVEN characters from Fire Emblem and The Legend of Zelda but you are making this big fuss over Zelda not being the one with 6, instead they have 5. like I asked CapeSmash on the other page, what character do you think they should have put in from Zelda who is deserving of this? you can't criticise without offering a solution otherwise you are just whining. don't give me Tingle or Impa or something silly. the facts are Fire Emblem has been more successful over the last 10 years hasn't it, I don't know about sales figures but anyone who follows gaming and Nintendo has seen how Zelda has gone down whilst Fire Emblem has gone up in popularity. the Zelda glory days were OOT, MM, Wind Waker.... around then Fire Emblem was just warming up on the GBA and GCN and Wii.. it's obviously hit its strides on the 3DS and they are probably capitalising on this a little to entrench Fire Emblem as a name up there with Zelda. its about maximising the popularity of the IP at the end of the day, if you want to talk the cold business side of it. you already know Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf.. peopl don't know all the heroes from Fire Emblem as well as those staples in gaming... why don't you want to know them??!!

it's like that guy complaining about another swordsman but then says "i guess he could be fun and unique to play" - that's exactly it, it's about how they play not about this weird complaining because like 13/58 characters use a weapon. wtf?

Edited on by martinskrtel37

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

Gridatttack

@CharlieSmile: True, I suppose I could have worded that better. I know you're not raging and the critic you made do make a point (lack of other notable franchises rep), but other people are raging everywhere (like the petition to remove corrin form the game).

Though, on a note about the complaining and 'childish' term. I'm using it at the fact that others users, not you, choose to complain excessively without providing any real reason other than 'my character didn't make it','Other characters deserved the spot better' or 'this series isn't even good' which said statements are just biased. It's funny watching said users extrude all the salt which makes food taste better :>

Edited on by Gridatttack

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, a remake of Super Mario Bros 1 and The Lost Levels for NSMBDS.
new 3DS: 0276-2211-7514

3DS Friend Code: 0276-2211-7514 | Nintendo Network ID: Gridatttack

LadyCharlie

martinskrtel37 wrote:

I don't know about sales figures but anyone who follows gaming and Nintendo has seen how Zelda has gone down in popularity

and there's where I stopped reading

LadyCharlie

LadyCharlie

Gridatttack wrote:

Though, on a note about the complaining and 'childish' term. I'm using it at the fact that others users, not you, choose to complain excessively without providing any real reason

that's fair enough.
and I do agree with this sentiment.
I mean, the existence of six FE characters doesn't ruin Nintendo for me. it's a complaint I have, but I'm not gonna start a petition to fire Sakurai because of it or anything.

LadyCharlie

LzWinky

I don't mind the six characters, but I can see why others would be complaining

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

UGXwolf

@CharlieSmile: Actually, I disagree. Zelda always has a similar main cast with the main players being pretty well represented as it is. Sure, we could get another villain, but they'd likely be a one-shot. Meanwhile, Fire Emblem adds new interesting characters in each iteration with their own personalities and story lines. There is a bery large pool of very memorable characters that only continues to grow every time they put out a new FE game, and Smash is only representing a mere fraction of that potential, similar to Pokemon.

Now, yes there are characters I would have preferred to see, but Corrin was a wonderful surprise and a unique character that I'm glad they're adding to Smash.

Besides, Smash isn't OUR game, it's Sakurai's game. The Smash community seems to forget that very often. Sakurai can and will add any characters he sees fit to add and the fact that he's accepting our input is a generosity, not a requirement. If you don't want another FE character, feel free to not buy him or better yet, take up coding and game design and make your own game with whatever characters you wanna put in it.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

OdnetninAges

UGXwolf wrote:

@CharlieSmile: Actually, I disagree. Zelda always has a similar main cast with the main players being pretty well represented as it is. Sure, we could get another villain, but they'd likely be a one-shot. Meanwhile, Fire Emblem adds new interesting characters in each iteration with their own personalities and story lines. There is a bery large pool of very memorable characters that only continues to grow every time they put out a new FE game, and Smash is only representing a mere fraction of that potential, similar to Pokemon.

Now, yes there are characters I would have preferred to see, but Corrin was a wonderful surprise and a unique character that I'm glad they're adding to Smash.

Besides, Smash isn't OUR game, it's Sakurai's game. The Smash community seems to forget that very often. Sakurai can and will add any characters he sees fit to add and the fact that he's accepting our input is a generosity, not a requirement. If you don't want another FE character, feel free to not buy him or better yet, take up coding and game design and make your own game with whatever characters you wanna put in it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Console Usernames: Rc

HIGH QUALITY VIDEO GAME RIPS

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."

My Anime List

Nintendo Network ID: Ages97

LzWinky

I also get this feeling that a lot of fans are trying to take over the game's development...at least in their own minds

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

IceClimbers

@UGXwolf: As far as Zelda goes, there's always Impa. There's Linkle now too I guess.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

UGXwolf

@IceClimbers: Impa has done nothing in the main series to base a moveset off of, and while I wouldn't mind Hyrule Warriors Impa or Linkle, just ask Waluigi has third-party-created first-party-IP characters do at getting into Smash.

EDIT: I will grant that they could go all Captain Falcon on Impa and make her an original moveset. I'm just worried she'd play too much like Sheik.

Edited on by UGXwolf

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

LadyCharlie

@UGXwolf:
"Whichever specific issue, the statement "I wish videogames were more _____" is often met with "If you want things to change, you should make your own game."

On the surface, it seems like a reasonable point. "Be the change you wish to see in the world" is cute little buttoned up (mis)quote. With closer examination the argument has little value past being a clever-sounding misdirect.

So why is the argument silly? There are a couple of reasons. The most trivial is that there already are people who wanted to create change by making their own games."

(source: http://www.destructoid.com/why-make-your-own-game-is-a-bad-ar...

LadyCharlie

-Green-

I love Corrin's/Kamui's design (mainly the male version). I find it very appealing.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

LzWinky

He has feet!

martinskrtel37

CharlieSmile wrote:

martinskrtel37 wrote:

I don't know about sales figures but anyone who follows gaming and Nintendo has seen how Zelda has gone down in popularity

and there's where I stopped reading

excuse me? do you think Skyward Sword has been the biggest Zelda title so far or something? i like how you ignored everything i said and made some silly comment. if you want to contribute to discussions you should be open minded. sure the Zelda name has a lot of clout but again, you have to give us a solution to what you are criticising or you are doing nothing but whining - so who is the big Zelda rep they are ignoring for Fire Emblem protagonists? someone from Triforce Heroes perhaps?

you just have to face reality, in 2015 Fire Emblem has been more popular then Zelda.

Edited on by martinskrtel37

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

LadyCharlie

martinskrtel37 wrote:

someone from Triforce Heroes perhaps?

that's a cool idea actually

LadyCharlie

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic