Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 26,181 to 26,200 of 27,917

Mikes

@Tsuchinoko Haha, well yeah, I wouldn't want somethin' like that!
@IceClimbers Those were some really great matches. I didn't expect anyone to beat him in a GF yet. I was a little surprised when he had a game taken by Seagull Joe, and that wasn't long ago.
@UGXwolf At this point, I'd like to assume everyone's lying, really. All of these "leaks" and whatnot are getting repetitive. On the other hand, I'd like to remain patient, but I've been craving a Nintendo Direct for weeks. I want neeewws (and new stuff to talk about).
Wait, how would they make the Ice Climbers function? I'd like to have 'em back, but I thought limitations prevented them from being in.

Here are a few places that I can be found!
YouTube | Newgrounds | ZippCast

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0759-5924 | Nintendo Network ID: ShadowMetal

Smash_kirby

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@Mikes

Ice Climbers would work, but only in a way that ensures that somebody is being left out.

• Wii U exclusive. Self explanatory.
  • Available on N3DS, but not regular 3DS. There's always a chance that they could add a toggle for Ice Climbers, preventing the N3DS user(s) from accessing them while playing with a regular 3DS user (I know a few games did that with DLC). But of course, if you can't get that ONE character unless you buy an N3DS... may not be worth it to some. And this is assuming Ice Climbers could run on N3DS to begin with.

Obviously the ideal scenario would be to magically make them work on regular 3DS... but I doubt they could maintain 60 FPS with 3D on. We're talking about a game that forces a reboot on the regular units, because it demands more horsepower.

In all honesty, I think the team didn't want to invest more time into a character that was only in one game and only really known for being in smash. From what I have heard said about the Ice Climbers from Sakurai, it sounded like they could've got them to work but didn't want to invest the time in them.

Smash_kirby

Hendesu

Sorry if I'm wrong, but didn't Sakurai purposely cut Ice Climbers due to the newcomer Villager? Because I remember a glitch last year where if you play as Villager with high damage, the crowd chants Ice Climbers.

Edited on by Hendesu

Some random dude on Nintendo Life.
Toriel left for a while, so Freaky Fred took over her place!
Not changing this part of the signature until Nintendo announces Super Mario Sunshine 2.
[Started 10/31/15]

Nintendo Network ID: DarkSperow

CapeSmash

Hendesu wrote:

Sorry if I'm wrong, but didn't Sakurai purposely cut Ice Climbers due to the newcomer Villager? Because I remember a glitch last year where if you play as Villager with high damage, the crowd chants Ice Climbers.

Uh, what? That glitch happened when you played as Dr. Mario, not Villager. And why would Sakurai cut Ice Climbers because of the Villager? That doesn't make any sense at all. They were cut because the 3DS couldn't handle them. And I'm sure (just a theory) that they wouldn't work on 8-player Smash either. If 8-player Smash can't handle Wii Fit Trainer's thumb, then I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be able to handle 16 Ice Climbers all at once.

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

Pootypie

CapeSmash wrote:

Hendesu wrote:

Uh, what? That glitch happened when you played as Dr. Mario, not Villager. And why would Sakurai cut Ice Climbers because of the Villager? That doesn't make any sense at all. They were cut because the 3DS couldn't handle them. And I'm sure (just a theory) that they wouldn't work on 8-player Smash either. If 8-player Smash can't handle Wii Fit Trainer's thumb, then I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be able to handle 16 Ice Climbers all at once.

What do you mean 8-player smash can't handle wii fit trainer's thumb?

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Tsuchinoko

Smash_kirby wrote:

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@Mikes

Ice Climbers would work, but only in a way that ensures that somebody is being left out.

• Wii U exclusive. Self explanatory.
  • Available on N3DS, but not regular 3DS. There's always a chance that they could add a toggle for Ice Climbers, preventing the N3DS user(s) from accessing them while playing with a regular 3DS user (I know a few games did that with DLC). But of course, if you can't get that ONE character unless you buy an N3DS... may not be worth it to some. And this is assuming Ice Climbers could run on N3DS to begin with.

Obviously the ideal scenario would be to magically make them work on regular 3DS... but I doubt they could maintain 60 FPS with 3D on. We're talking about a game that forces a reboot on the regular units, because it demands more horsepower.

In all honesty, I think the team didn't want to invest more time into a character that was only in one game and only really known for being in smash. From what I have heard said about the Ice Climbers from Sakurai, it sounded like they could've got them to work but didn't want to invest the time in them.

If that is the case, then their thinking might have changed due to DLC and the ballot, just like with Lucas and pre-ballot requests. If they are at all possible then their chances increased with DLC. If they are really impossible or would take too much time to work on then even DLC wouldn't help them get in.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

UGXwolf

I would like to point out that I don't recall implying Ice Climbers could be added to the game in spite of technical difficulties and fairness issues. I do, however, believe it was--as it usually is with changes like these--a combination of many factors. The 3DS having trouble with them was the main issue, but I've heard nothing to imply it couldn't have been worked out, just that they didn't make the cut due to technical difficulties. I never believed, and still don't believe that Rosalina and Luma are all that much less complex than Ice Climbers. Less, sure. Not THAT much less. I just think the time constraints left them having to choose and Rosalina was higher priority.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

NintendoFan64

Oh, so we're talking about Ice Climbers? All right. I'm a little confused on them because Sakurai never specifically stated that it was outright impossible, just that there were issues. So...was it something that maybe could've been done if they had more time to finish the game, or is it really impossible?

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Pootypie

I doubt Sakurai would remove a character

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

TeeJay

I really like Rosalina personally. Way more than the Ice Climbers.

Actually, I like just about everyone more than the Ice Climbers.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Tsuchinoko

DarthNocturnal wrote:

I consider Rosalina to be an overrated Peach recolor (and the Galaxy games as a whole didn't really seem as fun as 64 and Sunshine for me).

Wii Fit Trainer... I dunno, just wasn't as exciting an addition. It'd be like if Microsoft had a Smash-style game, and included the paperclip from their word programs... except that concept actually seems amusing.

The Galaxy games are classic, a visual delight and an absolute joy to play and I love Rosalina's inclusion.

Blast

DarthNocturnal wrote:

I'd gladly trade out Rosalina and Luma and / or Wii Fit Trainer to get Ice Climbers back (I don't mean that their removal suddenly makes them possible to add).... or for other characters in general, really.

Wii Fit Trainer is amazing. Ice Climbers isn't coming back until Smash NX.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

UGXwolf

@DarthNocturnal: rosalina is an overrated Peach recolor in the same sense that Luigi is an overrated Mario recolor. Unless you mean in Smash. In that case, Rosalina isn't even remotely similar to Peach aside from being a girl, wearing a dress, being light, and being from the Mario franchise.

Eel

On the contrary, I'd say the final desing for Rosalina ended up being more of a different person with a peach-like hairstyle.

Which is kind of the opposite of her original design.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

UGXwolf

@DarthNocturnal: Wario was never a Mario recolor in the forst place. He was always a parody. Intentionally not at all similar. Luigi was originally Mario wearing green. It wasn't until Paper Mario that we ever really saw him as being any different from Mario in terms of personality, and that's the key. Luigi has personality. Mario kinda doesn't. Roaalina has personality. Peach, not really.

TuVictus

The story book in the first Galaxy did a good job of fleshing her out. And if you believe the theories then she looks similar to Peach due to her being her daughter, so that would make sense, at least.

TuVictus

UGXwolf

@DarthNocturnal: She's been around since 2006? 2007? Against Luigi's 32+ years of existence? Of course she hasn't got the same amount of characterization, yet, but she still stands out as being very different from Peach.

Tsuchinoko

It is funny how a lot of people make fun of Rosalina, but there's a huge push for Daisy, even though she's had no storyline. In just that picture book Rosalina has had more characterization that characters that have been in the Mario franchise two, three times longer.

MegaMari0

I don't want daisy in smash. I want her in her own game. they could expand the kingdom of sarasaland so much more. A M&L or paper mario game set in that kingdom would be perfect. That's just IMO.

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic