Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 16,881 to 16,900 of 27,917

CapeSmash

NintyMan wrote:

"This is like a free dessert after a luxurious meal that was prepared free of charge. In a restaurant with this type of service, I don’t think there’s anybody who would say, “Change this to a meat dish!!”
Yet, I’m told [to do that] about Smash Bros. But, I guess since a lot of them are children, it cannot be helped."

"Could you please leave it to me to select [characters] with man-hours and costs in mind? However you look at it, the game is a great bargain buy as a result."

http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-on-the-clone-characters...

HE ROASTED THOSE IMMATURE CLONE HATERS! HAHAHAHHAHA

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

MsJubilee

Damn Sakurai got tired of all the haters, i would to if they wouldn't shut up about them.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

CaviarMeths

NintyMan wrote:

Yet, I’m told [to do that] about Smash Bros. But, I guess since a lot of them are children, it cannot be helped."

"Could you please leave it to me to select [characters] with man-hours and costs in mind? However you look at it, the game is a great bargain buy as a result."

[ ] Not told
[X] Told
[X] TOLDASAURUS REX
[X] cash4told.com

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

2Sang

As much as I think Sakurai is the greatest video game developer of all-time, he's starting to let his skills go to his head. I please undastand his frustrations with complainers non-stop despite how good his games are, but there's no need to get down to their level and mock them.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2sang/nintendo-pizza-scented-air-freshener-mach-pizza-ea
BACK MY PROJECT EVEN $1 HELPS!

Nintendo Network ID: DJ2Sang | Twitter:

FriedSquid

I understand the reasoning for clones so overall I don't mind them, but I still hate Dark Pit.

The real problem I have with him is how he doesn't really differentiate himself from Pit very much. With Lucina, she's obviously a very different character than Marth and looks/plays differently. Dr. Mario is an already established character, so it makes sense to bring him back easily, and the obvious difference with him is his doctor theme, plus his different moveset.

Now I'm a fan of Kid Icarus Uprising so I know that Dark Pit technically isn't just a recolor and is his own character (I'm a fan of him in his own game, honest). But almost all of his moves are identical, minus one or two differences. He looks exactly like a Pit palette swap, so the only real difference to Pit here is his attitude.

With all this considered, I understand adding clones at the last-minute for little work, but if his only difference is a couple moves (Electroshock Arm could've just been a custom option for Pit) and a Final Smash (which is already the same as two other characters), then why even bother to add him?

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

LzWinky

Um, your argument can be applied to Lucina and Dr. Mario...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Yoshi

Speaking of Dr. Mario, was anyone else disappointed that Dr. Luigi wasn't a costume, like Olimar and Alph? It would've been perfect!

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

FriedSquid

WaLzgi wrote:

Um, your argument can be applied to Lucina and Dr. Mario...

For the record I'm not really trying to make an argument here, I'm only giving my thoughts; he's in the game so I'll just have to deal with it no matter what! All I'm saying is that it's hard to defend Dark Pit's inclusion simply because he barely plays differently and doesn't look unique.

I guess that does apply to Dr. Mario — he probably should've been an alt, but at least his moveset is fairly different compared to Mario, unlike Dark Pit's compared to Pit where there's minimal differences. There are some imortant differences with Dr's attacks, plus it's possible they wanted to bring back a Melee veteran and thought he would be easiest to make — simply edit Mario's moveset and model in no time. Lucina is a completely different character; unlike a literal copy of Pit or just Mario in a doctor's coat. Her moveset is the same but at least her properties are different than Marth, so I'd say it was a justified decision to add her.

Like Toon Link and Falco, I think she's an entirely different character that deserves a seperate spot on the roster but can only get a cloned moveset, yet one that's still different enough to justify their inclusion. (if that makes sense) I don't feel like Dark Pit deserved a spot nor is his moveset unique enough from Pit's — I feel like the two play exactly the same. Thus, I think he should have just been left out and didn't deserve a spot, even at the last minute as a clone. But like I said, all I can do is deal with it.

Edited on by FriedSquid

Sav'aaq!
My Squidloggery

Yoshi

In all fairness, if a character is a clone of another, is that really "taking" a spot on the roster? I know there isn't a roster limit, but I consider a clone more of a bonus than a cop out.

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

FriedSquid

@brewsky No, I agree that there's no roster limit. I didn't mean that Dark Pit was taking a spot from anyone else, merely questioning why they even bothered to include him. Unless Sakurai really wanted another KIU rep and they only had time to make a Pit clone.

Sav'aaq!
My Squidloggery

JunkosBoobies

2Sang wrote:

As much as I think Sakurai is the greatest video game developer of all-time, he's starting to let his skills go to his head. I please undastand his frustrations with complainers non-stop despite how good his games are, but there's no need to get down to their level and mock them.

This, 100%. Yes, the haters are annoying as ****, but if you're just gonna stoop down to their level, you're not really accomplishing anything.

Discord: JunkosBoobies#5379
Backloggery
MAL
DeviantArt
Avatar: Junko Enoshima (Danganronpa)

3DS Friend Code: 0447-7094-2346 | Nintendo Network ID: DeviousCrossing | Twitter:

RR529

NoUsernameHere wrote:

2Sang wrote:

This, 100%. Yes, the haters are annoying as ****, but if you're just gonna stoop down to their level, you're not really accomplishing anything.

I really don't think he was mocking anyone. The reason he said that most of the complainers were "children", was probably because most of them ARE children (who, understandably, wouldn't know about all that goes into making a game).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

UGXwolf

SockoMario wrote:

I love Sakurai, but there's no denying he's the probably one of the biggest hypocrites/liars in the gaming industry.

I'll give some examples:

-Says Smash 4's roster would be around the same size as Brawl's
-Said Smash 4 was unlikely to have new characters so he can focus on balance
-Says characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen

Moral of the story: don't take Sakurai's word seriously... most of the time.

CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR! As I've said TIME AND TIME AGAIN! Sakurai NEVER said that the roster would be around the same size as Brawl, nor did he ever say the game would be unlikely to have newcomers. These were fans taking what he said WAY out of context to the point that it didn't even make sense, anymore. The only thing Sakurai ACTUALLY SAID in regards to the roster size AT ALL was that they didn't have a set number of characters they were aiming for and that he didn't want to add characters "willy nilly" (or just because, in Modern English).

As for this last one, he said "rarely" not "never." Let's look through the Newcomers, shall we? Mega Man? Pac-man? Duck Hunt? Alright, I see these as dead (even though Pac and Mega both still get games, it isn't these forms of them, aside from fan-made sequels.) Greninja? Robin? Palutena? Bowser Jr? Rosalina? All of these characters have been used in the past two years and we don't see them disappearing any time, soon, though Greninja will likely be far less relevant in a game or two, and Robin will be replaced with a new main character, I'm sure. Looking at the Newcomers, it actually seems like Sakurai is holding true to his word on this. Remember that Miyamoto is becoming more independent with his developing. Not even Nintendo knows everything he's working on, at this point. Wolf getting cut doesn't contradict, nor do Lucas or Ice Climbers, since if they were planned to be in a game at the time they were removed, they weren't likely out in the open about it, yet. Star Fox U is still a VERY VERY new project, so I see no reason to think Sakurai had any idea they were making a new one.

Now can we please stop spreading this silly rumor that Sakurai said the roster would be close to Brawl's in size? He never said that.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Gridatttack

Well said Sakurai.

Everyone has a limit, and they seemed to push off Sakurai's...

Now, lets watch as he wont direct the next Smash Bros due to all the people that aren't happy for X thing

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, a remake of Super Mario Bros 1 and The Lost Levels for NSMBDS.
new 3DS: 0276-2211-7514

3DS Friend Code: 0276-2211-7514 | Nintendo Network ID: Gridatttack

UGXwolf

SockoMario wrote:

But he changes his time so much, it's hard to trust him.

Also, more examples:

-Said Miis didn't seem right for Smash
-Said an Animal Crossing character in Smash would ruin the incenses of the franchise
-Said having Pac-Man playable would be farfetched

Like I said, it's hard to trust him because he changes his mind A LOT.

He said the first right after announcing Miis as playable. He was referring to his thoughts on them back when Brawl was in development. He's more than allowed to change his mind over the course of seven years.
He said the second quite a while ago, too. IIRC, when KI:U was still in development. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was long enough to change his mind if, maybe, he saw that the Villager had a ridiculously-sized hammer space and that it would make an interesting mechanic for Smash.
I don't recall him ever saying the third at any point, and even if he did, he recently said that Pac-man was really hard to make it work. Nothing seemed to fit just right and only after a lot of fiddling and taking liberties did a moveset really seem to suit him.

UGXwolf

RR529 wrote:

NoUsernameHere wrote:

2Sang wrote:

I really don't think he was mocking anyone. The reason he said that most of the complainers were "children", was probably because most of them ARE children (who, understandably, wouldn't know about all that goes into making a game).

This exactly. We're conditioned to assume this is an insult, but considering that Miiverse is actually crawling with children, it's not entirely unthinkable that he's literally referring to children.

CapeSmash

Wii U exclusive mode Smash World is about ordering food and using tickets? Whaaa??

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

KO-Cub

The only thing I have a problem with Sakurai is the stage choices in this game. He puts retro characters in roster but no retro stages which everyone would die to play again like the 64 stages. That water rushing Donkey Kong stage!? Hasn't that been done to death already? Who actually likes that stage?

Wavedashes behind you Got some of dat Maylay?
FE Heroes: 0964602082

3DS Friend Code: 5343-9126-6120 | Nintendo Network ID: KOCub

TeeJay

MetalK9 wrote:

The only thing I have a problem with Sakurai is the stage choices in this game. He puts retro characters in roster but no retro stages which everyone would die to play again like the 64 stages. That water rushing Donkey Kong stage!? Hasn't that been done to death already? Who actually likes that stage?

My thoughts exactly.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic