Forums

Topic: Pachter strikes again!!!

Posts 181 to 188 of 188

kkslider5552000

Wii U will probably last as long as long as the older HD consoles unless Mario Kart and Smash Bros don't do great numbers or whatever.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SCRAPPER392

@Kodeen
Well, ×86 can still technically run PPC games, and vice versa. You do relize that PS3 and Xbox 360 were PPC? Then the original Xbox was x86, too, so alternating between architecture types isn't really as drastic as people are making it out to be.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Samurai_Goroh

SCAR392 wrote:

@Kodeen
Well, ×86 can still technically run PPC games, and vice versa. You do relize that PS3 and Xbox 360 were PPC? Then the original Xbox was x86, too, so alternating between architecture types isn't really as drastic as people are making it out to be.

ARM and PowerPC are also architectures with a good deal of similarities, one of which they both adhere to the RISC paradigm( x86 on the other hand is CISC). I could see ARM64 emulation of PPC being a reality if they choose to go down that path. x86 and PPC don't mix up that well, I think the emulation of original Xbox games on 360 left much to be desired. Having ARM architecture on the handheld and also on the home console could be useful. Maybe the future is fusion, indeed. If they choose to keep PPC, I wouldn't be surprised either, a Power 8 machine could conceivably be a cost-effective way of delivering 4K games.

Edited on by Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh

SCRAPPER392

@Kodeen
Ok, so if there's a good reason for Microsoft and Sony to have ×86, for the foreseeable future, then who's to say that Nintendo doesn't have just as good of a reason to have gone PPC? I completely understand that it depends on transition, but switching between the 2 implies that neither is better or worse.

I'm sure Nintendo has good reason to continue down a PPC path.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Jazzer94

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/q0cyv3/pach-attack--time-t...

Reggie for Nintendo President instead of Iwata is what Pachter thinks should happen I disagree and feel someone newer blood needs to be given a shot but it will most likely be another Japanese executive or something, what do you guys think?

Edit: Did not notice a thread has been made about this.

Edited on by Jazzer94

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

Tobiaku

Wii U is better than PS4

Tobiaku

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355

Jazzer94

Guitardude7 wrote:

@Jazzer94 & @Unca_Lz (since you're a mod) Woops! Sorry, should I just move my thread into here? I forgot about this thread.

I don't think NL has a feature like that anyway we might as well continue the discussion there as you posted the information first.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

unrandomsam

Kodeen wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Well, ×86 can still technically run PPC games, and vice versa.

It can, but it requires a lot of overhead. An XB1 or PS4 might have the hardware to emulate a Gamecube at full speed. Anything beyond that would probably require beefier hardware (my PC with 8-core AMD FX and GTX 770 struggles with Wii something something in a lot of cases.

SCAR392 wrote:

You do relize that PS3 and Xbox 360 were PPC?

Yup. Their successors aren't, there's a good reason for that.

SCAR392 wrote:

Then the original Xbox was x86, too, so alternating between architecture types isn't really as drastic as people are making it out to be.

The reason that MS moved to PPC for the 360 was that x86 was in a transitional period that was not well suited for consoles. The main processors at the time were the Pentium 4 and AMD Athlon, both of which generated too much heat. x86-64 was in its infancy, and again, generated a lot of heat (and consumed ever more power). Neither of those were suitable for a video game console. At this state it's a moot point, x86 can generate competitive power levels with lower heat generation and power consumption. Through brute force budgeting and man-hours in R&D, it has pretty much become the perfect non-mobile architecture for the foreseeable future.

It can be done PPC -> X86 - Transistive did it for Apple when they switched with a reasonable overhead. Problem is IBM bought and gutted them and they won't do anything to help their last volume customer leave. (I personally observed them do sparc -> X86 with about 5% overhead and 100% reliability - well enough to run a complicated expensive sparc only application that had to work perfectly).

x86 is great for mobile as far as I am concerned the Motorola Razr i I have used seems to have a reasonable battery life (And performs quite well even running arm only stuff). Not tried any of the more modern ones. The new atom looks like it would be fine.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.