Wii U Forum

Topic: Pachter strikes again!!!

Showing 161 to 180 of 197

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

161. Posted:

Patcher seems like a equal opportunity doom sayer these days. I do agree with him about Iwata. The market has changed since the Wii launched.

It isn't as much that Iwata has to go, but giving NoA and NoE resources and some automny would go a long way to solving a few of the problems people have with the company.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

321zigzag1

162. Posted:

Jazzer94 wrote:

So Pachter feels Iwata is not capable enough to lead Nintendo.
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/30/a-hour-with-pachter-a-...

I find it a little ironic that where we seem to get some high profile figures leaving especially since February and few studios closing or shrinking the one man some people want gone affirms, "I'm staying."

THat being said Pachter can say all he wants Iwata isn't leaving any time soon at least as of right now.

321zigzag1

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

163. Posted:

Unca_Lz wrote:

His argument has some merit. Nintendo has had a rough two years under Iwata. Yes, he was successful with the Wii and DS, but he has been unable to turn around Nintendo's fortunes with the Wii U.

In our astonishment that the PS4 has sold 2mill units this year so far and the XBOne 1mill compared to the Wii U's 400k we forgot about the 3DS. We forgot that the 3DS has moved ~1.5mill units this year so far. We also forgot that Nintendo publishes games. As a publisher they had three of the top 10 selling games last year. No other publisher had more than one. And last year was a bad year, their lowest in ages, at the height of the Wii they had about 9 games in the top 10 best sellers year after year.

How many other tech company CEOs have had that sort of success rate over that length of time? Steve Jobs and who else?

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

164. Posted:

@skywake

Bill Gates
Steve Ballmer
The two ceos of blackberry back in its heyday.
The current Samsung CEO.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

165. Posted:

Unca_Lz wrote:

Honestly a mostly Nintendo and indie console is fine with me as well, considering the other 3rd parties seem to be heading for a self-destructive path

Haha, capcom being the front runner of a self destructive path who's relying on Monster hunter to keep them from slipping into a fatal capcom coma. Nintendo games & Indies is the perfect recepe for awesome sauce seeing as how i've got zero interest in what nearly every 3rd party are doing these days. There was some pretty amazing 3rd party gems on the Wii, but we're just not seeing any real experimental 3rd party titles on the Wii U. ZombiU and The Wonderful 101 are the only two i can really think of off the top of my noggin' But they aint no Zack & Wiki or elebits. ;)

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

166. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

@skywake

Bill Gates
Steve Ballmer
The two ceos of blackberry back in its heyday.
The current Samsung CEO.

Under Gates MS had ME and MS Bob as well as numerous mediocre attempts at entering the phone market. Under Balmer Microsoft has lost a lot of marketshare to Apple and also produced arguably two of the worst versions of Windows with Vista and 8. Also Bing, Zune, Surface, Windows Phone. Blackberry had the same CEO through basically its whole life, he's responsible for both the climb and the fall. Riding one product from start to end is hardly the same as what Iwata has to do. Samsung you're right is massive but that said it has a bit more of a scattergun approach. Samsung make decent and often cheaper versions of a thing someone else already made.

I'll give you Gates, I'm not convinced of the others. I will say though that both Iwata and Jobs had the whole "this is our thing, nobody else has a product like this. You will like it" thing. Both repeatedly hit gold.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

167. Posted:

skywake wrote:

Unca_Lz wrote:

His argument has some merit. Nintendo has had a rough two years under Iwata. Yes, he was successful with the Wii and DS, but he has been unable to turn around Nintendo's fortunes with the Wii U.

In our astonishment that the PS4 has sold 2mill units this year so far and the XBOne 1mill compared to the Wii U's 400k we forgot about the 3DS. We forgot that the 3DS has moved ~1.5mill units this year so far. We also forgot that Nintendo publishes games. As a publisher they had three of the top 10 selling games last year. No other publisher had more than one. And last year was a bad year, their lowest in ages, at the height of the Wii they had about 9 games in the top 10 best sellers year after year.

How many other tech company CEOs have had that sort of success rate over that length of time? Steve Jobs and who else?

Dang it. Now I'm forgetting the handhelds >:[

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

168. Posted:

skywake wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

@skywake

Bill Gates
Steve Ballmer
The two ceos of blackberry back in its heyday.
The current Samsung CEO.

Under Gates MS had ME and MS Bob as well as numerous mediocre attempts at entering the phone market. Under Balmer Microsoft has lost a lot of marketshare to Apple and also produced arguably two of the worst versions of Windows with Vista and 8. Also Bing, Zune, Surface, Windows Phone. Blackberry had the same CEO through basically its whole life, he's responsible for both the climb and the fall. Riding one product from start to end is hardly the same as what Iwata has to do. Samsung you're right is massive but that said it has a bit more of a scattergun approach. Samsung make decent and often cheaper versions of a thing someone else already made.

I'll give you Gates, I'm not convinced of the others. I will say though that both Iwata and Jobs had the whole "this is our thing, nobody else has a product like this. You will like it" thing. Both repeatedly hit gold.

Were talking purely money and market share right. Balmer for all his faults had Microsoft be very profitable tilll the end of his reign.

Ibmwan with your logic shouldn't we be saying the Wii U and 3DS are Iwata's Windows ME?

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

169. Posted:

I think it's more accurate to say 3DS and Wii U's first few months are ME worthy. 3DS and Wii U don't deserve that comparison outside of that despite their issues, that's just going too far dude. :'p

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

170. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

Ibmwan with your logic shouldn't we be saying the Wii U and 3DS are Iwata's Windows ME?

I'd argue that Windows ME, Zune and Bing are like the Virtual Boy. The Wii U is closer to Vista, Win 8 and Surface, not hits and maybe not even successes but not wiped from the pages of history. The 3DS is probably more like Windows 7. It's decent, there's nothing particularly wrong with it and it's by no measure a failure. It's just nowhere near as big as XP was.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

171. Posted:

I'd agree about Windows ME and the Windows 8 comparasion.

Bing and Zune on the other hang are good products that were late to the market.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

172. Posted:

After using Windows 8 for a while, I can say that it's a heck lot better than Windows 7. It's so much faster, though I wouldn't upgrade to it since using a touch screen makes it easier

Back on topic, I don't think Pachter is an idiot. He has his personal biases, but so does everyone else. I actually agreed with some of his latest statements: Wii U is beyond saving (at least past Gamecube levels of sales) and Nintendo needs to reflect on what they did wrong with the Wii U

Edited on by WaLzgi

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

173. Posted:

I have a touch screen laptop and Windows 8 is pretty awesome. Surface is also what I believe the future of computing should be. Intresting times for microsoft since they've been making some decent moves.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

174. Posted:

Unca_Lz wrote:

Wii U is beyond saving (at least past Gamecube levels of sales)

I also like making statements because Nintendo's 3rd Mario platformer in a row didn't more than double total console sales in 5 months. (seriously, what was up with 9 million? that was never going to happen)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

175. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

(seriously, what was up with 9 million? that was never going to happen)

Yeah that was a crazy estimate Nintendo must have still been high off the Wii.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

176. Posted:

Jazzer94 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

(seriously, what was up with 9 million? that was never going to happen)

Yeah that was a crazy estimate Nintendo must have still been high off the Wii.

perhaps literally as far as I can tell

or maybe Wii U's launch they knew was so bad yet sold 3 million that Wii U finally being worthwhile and marketed by human beings would automatically make sales that good?

but realistically I think Nintendo thought that some of the casual audience would still be around (which even some would still be a massive number) not realizing that unless you convert them to specifically fans of your product that they will always be distracted by shiny things.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

177. Posted:

Nintendo had a chance to go and support the core gamer that shows up at launch. Back during E3 they talked big about having a ton of core game sin addition to the casuel stuff. Hell they had a playable demo of ghost recon online and killer frreaks.

But once E3 2012 hit it became obvious they decided to double down on what made the Wii a success. Look how they took wonderful 101, and put it too the side when it should have been on the show stage.

All the delays didn't help consumer confidence either.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

178. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

(seriously, what was up with 9 million? that was never going to happen)

Yeah that was a crazy estimate Nintendo must have still been high off the Wii.

perhaps literally as far as I can tell

or maybe Wii U's launch they knew was so bad yet sold 3 million that Wii U finally being worthwhile and marketed by human beings would automatically make sales that good?

but realistically I think Nintendo thought that some of the casual audience would still be around (which even some would still be a massive number) not realizing that unless you convert them to specifically fans of your product that they will always be distracted by shiny things.

Advertisement to me was their greatest mistake with Wii U (at least in the UK) one month after launch all commercials stopped all the way till Pikmin 3 causing them to basically squander their lead compared to MS and Sony who have commercials all the time on TV constantly reminding people about the consoles and how their new and cool etc.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BinaryFragger

179. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

Nintendo had a chance to go and support the core gamer that shows up at launch. Back during E3 they talked big about having a ton of core game sin addition to the casuel stuff. Hell they had a playable demo of ghost recon online and killer frreaks.

But once E3 2012 hit it became obvious they decided to double down on what made the Wii a success. Look how they took wonderful 101, and put it too the side when it should have been on the show stage.

All the delays didn't help consumer confidence either.

That's what I find the most disappointing. When they started releasing details of the upcoming Wii U back in 2011, Nintendo we're saying "we're back, hardcore gamers!" Worst of all, they had a one-year head start on the PS4 and Xbox One. They had an entire year to woo core gamers but completely squandered their lead instead.

June 2011 article, Wii U: Nintendo Rushes to Win Back Third Party and Core Gamers
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9082286

BinaryFragger

3DS Friend Code: 3909-7793-8308 | Nintendo Network ID: binaryfragger

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rockodoodle

180. Posted:

Well, it would be beyond ridiculous for Nintendo to stop production of the Wii U as he suggested- oh and then license games for other platforms. Again, brilliant. Build up other userbases while you just PO'd your own.

As has been mentioned, Nintendo can ride this generation out and regroup for a few years down the road. I still think that the Wii U has a good chance to be profitable and sell a respectable number of consoles in its lifespan..

Unca_Lz wrote:

After using Windows 8 for a while, I can say that it's a heck lot better than Windows 7. It's so much faster, though I wouldn't upgrade to it since using a touch screen makes it easier

Back on topic, I don't think Pachter is an idiot. He has his personal biases, but so does everyone else. I actually agreed with some of his latest statements: Wii U is beyond saving (at least past Gamecube levels of sales) and Nintendo needs to reflect on what they did wrong with the Wii U

rockodoodle