Forums

Topic: Super Mario Maker - OT

Posts 3,081 to 3,100 of 4,835

DanoLefourbe

@redneckgamer3826: I tried your levels, so here we go:

• Three of a Kind
    super fun, great idea and very wll put together. It looks pretty nice too. One thing though: what is the point of the invisible blocks at the end of (2)? To kill the players who jump over the big goomba? Do not use troll blocks please, ever. It only serves to ruin otherwise well made levels, and will never make a level better, believe me. Using normal blocks here would be just as good and much more fair.
  • 30 SECONDS OF INSANITY
    Once again pretty fun, with one exception: the timing of elements you put on rails depends on the speed at which the player is... well, playing.
    Here is an obvious exemple of a level that worked perfectly for you, but can be deadly to others for no good reason.
    I ended up coming to this part with a solid block and a spikey that were on each other. I didn't have the reach to do a drill-jump, and a normal jump would have killed me.
    Use rails only if you are 100% confident that the player will not get trolled, no matter how he played up to this part. A good solution is to put only one element on each track. Or to give the player a time to rest and time his jump, but that is not a thing in your level.
    Also, you're sending a double message to the player at this point: asking him to think about either drill-jumping on the spikeys, or jumping on the blocks. On a time attack, the objective should be 100% obvious to the player at the second he sees it, otherwise it becomes "trial-and-error"
    Anyway this last part needs to be redone. the rest of the level is pretty neat, and it was fun overall.

I will try some of your other levels.

Edited on by DanoLefourbe

All my levels

Nintendo Network ID: DanoLefourbe

Blue_Blur

@NintyMan: I think you can by pausing during a level and tapping the comments button on the lower left of the yellow part of the screen. From there, you can choose to display comments on the TV and Gampad, or just on the Gamepad, or just on the TV, or not at all. The post are quite annoying on the TV screen... I only have them displayed on the Gamepad.

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

MasterWario

@Blue_Blur: Ah ha! I do the same thing!

@Pahvi I personally have trouble because I feel most of my levels are Medium-Hard difficultly, so I struggle to select the appropriate one of the two. I also don't like the Insane descriptor because even though it sounds cool, what does insane even mean? It throws off the entire scaling because the levels that should be "expert" aren't labeled as such because only a few select people try to make levels that they would describe as "insane".

The other issue is length. Imo, a moderately difficult level would need to be classified as "Hard" if it was really long and had minimal power-ups, even if everything is technically a "Medium" difficulty separately.

And finally, I don't think that the skills needed (e.g. Wall jumps, trampolines) have anything to do with difficulty. It only matters how much precision that specific mechanic needs, and how much of a learning curve you get. If you base an entire level off of running jumps and get the player acquainted with them, it's possible to label that level as "Easy" if it doesn't require much precision. Likewise if all of the mechanics you mentioned above were put into a course with little to no time to use those skills or you die, that level would be, "Insane".

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

jamesRainbowBoy

Here are some new levels of mine ). Hope you enjoy, please comment and star if you like!!!

Donkey Kong Jr.'s Vine Climb
E69B-0000-00B4-F461

Yum Yum Heights
F62D-0000-00B4-AFF3

Cure The Patient
D531-0000-00B5-100E

Kuribo's Boo Bounce Boudoir
627A-0000-00B3-4C83

Secret Sequence Pipe House
F539-0000-00B3-BDFA

Cool Cubes
56EA-0000-00B0-019D

Boing Bounce Land
96C9-0000-00B0-2715

Edited on by jamesRainbowBoy

jamesRainbowBoy

sjmartin

Just got back from vacation and am making my way through the forums. You all have been busy while I was away. Can't wait to tackle some of the levels you've created over the last 5 days.

Mario Maker 2 ID: WKV-KWN-KMF
Luigi’s Twisting Ghost House - QHF-4Q9-3SF
MarioKart Fun-Time Drive - 5MY-7TR-HRG
Toadette’s Speedrun Sprint - 6W1-F24-6FF
Bowser’s Boss Fight Bonanza - 5S2-8WF-5KF
Captain Toad's Adventure - V6G-R6L-8RF
NNID: SJMartin

Twitter:

MasterWario

@Pahvi: I see. I understand your point, but if I'm understanding your scenario correctly, I can think of at least three other people on the forums who would also call that Easy or at max Medium. You might need "advanced" skills to complete it but if you know those skills the level becomes easy-sauce. And then how would you label the level you just described, a level that was longer with maybe some enemies but still had the safety net, and then a level that was also longer but didn't have the safety net; would you label them all as "Hard"?

I think it's quite difficult to come up with a consistent method for labeling difficult because people have so many varying degrees of skill, but I think as long as your own scaling's are consistent, I think that's what matters the most. (e.g. so you know that the "Hard" level will be much more difficult than your "Easy" level.)

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My Pushmo Levels

Luffymcduck

Here's two new levels, first was done mostly by my roommate and second one by me. We wanted to do something experimental.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde, based on the NES classic
0662-0000-00B3-2756

Five Nights at Freddy's
4403-0000-00B5-5DF7

It would be great if David Wise made soundtracks to all future Nintendo games.

Blue_Blur

Pahvi wrote:

Out of curiosity... I've seen the difficulty labels people place on their levels to occasionally be pretty off from what I'd give them.

I've noticed this too...
The one thing I don't like about setting the difficulty on this site is that auto-scrolling counts as it's own category. I wish you could choose auto-scrolling, and then pick the difficulty. I think auto-scrolling is a part of the level, not a difficulty. An auto-scrolling level could be one of the easiest levels you've ever played, or one of the hardest... until you play that particular level, there is no way of knowing the actual difficulty. Being able to select the difficulty with auto-scroll would fix this problem, and maybe clear up some of the difficulty labels.

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

Captain05crunch

@DanoLefourbe: I went into this level expecting the usual level of polish from your levels and I was not upset for my first playthrough. I took the high path and really enjoyed it, so I wanted to play through again on the low path. Much to my disappointment, this leads to a dead end. Am I missing something here? Once you get to the interior of the ship with the series of rooms connected via doors, the last room has a pipe that is just out of reach. Was this intended? I tried looking for a secret block or anything to help me reach it but I couldn't find anything. The high path is great. The low path is more challenging, which I like, but the dead end needs to be fixed, or clarified if you had a different intention. You're still one of my favorite level creators, probably because you create themed levels much like myself. This one just seemed a little lazy.

Captain05crunch

alephbetnun

@DanoLefourbe: Thanks much for the comments (here and on Miiverse!) and stars! The "troll block" issue with ""Three of a Kind" was completely unintentional, it was really just meant to spice up an otherwise standard element. I apologize! Didn't realize that issue would occur at all. Now as for "30 SECONDS OF INSANITY" - I see your issue...but I kinda figured that that would be a good way to add a necessity to arriving there in the intended timing (aka, ASAP, haha). Was it an issue the time you beat it? And unfortunately I TOTALLY forgot about spin jumping when building that level. Whoops. LOL.

One last thing on my levels, I saw your Miiverse comment on "The Chain Chomp Chamber", and I just wanted to say that the dangerous coin placement was pretty intentional. That's a style I went for on that level, sorry if you weren't a fan! Thanks again for all the stars/comments though!

Also, I went and played some of your levels - the newest one, "Junior's Cargo" was really reeeeeaaally well done! The little army of Koopas with canons was great, didn't try to find the second path yet though, haha. Just an all-around fun level with a cool theme! Felt like it could be in a real Mario game. ...Then I tried "The Fifty Seconds Reconquests". I had a blast!!! Took tons of tries to beat, but super rewarding once I did. Each room was so creative, you're pretty good at this, haha. I think you need to list that level as "Insane" though, it's already "Hard" without the time limit, LOL. My only issue was the very end, I don't get the forced hit. That just made the end unnecessarily chaotic and not as rewarding as it should be (let me keep the awesome Bowser suit! Haha). But super awesome levels, I followed you and starred them both.

Edited on by alephbetnun

Mario Kart Main: Mii (Mid-Weight) w/ Gold Kart, Gold Tires, MKTV Parafoil (VR: 3100+)
Smash Bros. Main: Olimar
Splatoon Main: Octobrush (Rank: S)
My Super Mario Maker Levels: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/redneckgamer3826?type=posted

DanoLefourbe

@redneckgamer3826: Thanks for the comment, and yes I underestimated the levels' difficulty.
But for the forced hit... there is none ^^. I always design my levels so you can finish them without taking a single hit. Even though, sometimes, it can be tough.

Glad you liked my levels. Thanks for the feedback

All my levels

aKa

A classic castle course. Since most players seem to have trouble with difficult parts, or won't bother trying more than a few times, I toned down the rough parts, and kept it not too long. It should be rather easy for the more experienced Mario players, but certainly not unfun. Tell me what you think !

Edited on by aKa

aKa

DanoLefourbe

@Captain05crunch: I'm a bit less satisfied by the lower path myself, but not for the reason mentioned. Overall I don't think there is anything really wrong with this level. The answer to your question lies in the first room, the one with the moles ^^.

Edited on by DanoLefourbe

All my levels

GIR

Pahvi wrote:

Do the levels already get deleted, by the way? I haven't noticed anything like that happening to me so far.

btw I just did some calculations and if everyone with a WiiU got Super Mario Maker and uploaded the maximum possible of 100 levels it would equal ~16tb

Apparently Nintendo cant afford 16tb of storage.

MasterWario

@Pahvi: Ah yes of course! And I'm glad you brought it up because I never thought of it the way you've considered it!

@Blue_Blur: Although it wouldn't be search-able (although who uses search anyways? I try to but with so many people posting levels why bother?), you could just put it right in the title.

My Pushmo Levels

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.