Forums

Topic: Super Mario Maker - OT

Posts 3,061 to 3,080 of 4,835

SuperWiiU

I made this level awhile ago and had previous remakes of Donkey Kong Jr.(levels) uploaded before, but thought it was finally time to upload this one. It features all four DK Jr. levels and isn't that hard thanks to the SM(M) jump phyiscs.

blaisedinsd

One thing I haven't figured out is how to get Mario riding on top of shell. This I usually seen done in don't press anything levels but isn't it possible to do this manually when a shell is launched out of a cannon?

Also I played a level where when you went down a pipe and then tried to go back down the same pipe you just came out of it didn't take you back where you came from but somewhere entirely different. How is that possible? Do you just drag mario back in to the exit pipe when making the level?

SW-7087-5868-6390

Harvan

blaisedinsd wrote:

One thing I haven't figured out is how to get Mario riding on top of shell. This I usually seen done in don't press anything levels but isn't it possible to do this manually when a shell is launched out of a cannon?

As far as I know, you just land on top of the shell while it's moving in order to ride it. The buzzy beetle shells are the only ones that let you to do this.

Also I played a level where when you went down a pipe and then tried to go back down the same pipe you just came out of it didn't take you back where you came from but somewhere entirely different. How is that possible? Do you just drag mario back in to the exit pipe when making the level?

I think someone here created two separate exit pipes, then dragged one on top of the other. Pipes can overlap, unlike most other elements, so you could create a pipe that behaves the way you described - Mario comes out of the designated exit pipe, but then that pipe is hidden behind the second pipe, so when he crouches into the visible pipe again, he's going through a different entrance, which leads to a different exit pipe.

Please try my Mario Maker Levels: https://www.nintendolife.com/super-mario-maker/users/Harvan
My Nintendo Network ID: KieferSkunk

ClassicJetterz

Item Puzzle - Hard : F678-0000-00AC-54DF
Bowser's Moon Colony : 6011-0000-00AC-5CD2
I beat it, so you can too! : 079D-0000-00AC-9FB8

The first and last....are a bit complicated. Sorry. I felt like being mean. <3

You're blinded by romance, you're blinded by science...
Your condition is critically grave...but don't expect mercy from such an alliance..
Suspicion of tradition's so new wave!

3DS Friend Code: 5370-0397-4153 | Nintendo Network ID: ClassicJetterz

Nanni79

Super Mario Maker
.:: Series AMIIBO ::.

Diddy Kong: Life in the jungle
9FCC 0000 00A5 5F1B
You help Diddy Kong has reached home in the heart of the jungle ... but beware the dangers!!

Link: Tower of the Elf
9488 0000 00AF 0A53
The old elf tower was invaded by undead creatures . A powerful sorcerer has taken control . Exceeds the dangers and defeat the evil wizard!!

Nanni79

AlexSora89

Bad news: my least popular (and the only one without Stars so far) level, The Great Haunted Clock Tower, was automatically deleted from the Super Mario Maker servers as a result of said unpopularity.

Good news: I got to upload this one in its stead, check it out!

I don't quite have lots o' loot, because I'm from the Boot.

https://www.nintendolife.com/super-mario-maker/users/AlexSora89
(Currently seeking Stars.)

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6287-1558 | Nintendo Network ID: AlexSora89

Dreamliner

I think I might be missing something here, this game is really dumb. All I get to do is play other people's stupid courses that are either super difficult or have me do nothing and just go to the course on autopilot. This is so stupid. I missing something?

This is all the game is?

Not trying to be trollish, but I went through a handful of the top rated courses and they were all dumb and said to myself "this is it?" Its the first time I've been stright up disappointed with a Nintendo game...and I genuinely want to know what I'm missing.

Edited on by Dreamliner

Dreamliner

NolanWade

Very creative design. This maker needs to be noticed!
56B7-0000-00A8-FC46

NolanWade

GIR

Dreamliner wrote:

I think I might be missing something here, this game is really dumb. All I get to do is play other people's stupid courses that are either super difficult or have me do nothing and just go to the course on autopilot. This is so stupid. I missing something?

This is all the game is?

Not trying to be trollish, but I went through a handful of the top rated courses and they were all dumb and said to myself "this is it?" Its the first time I've been stright up disappointed with a Nintendo game...and I genuinely want to know what I'm missing.

I too am disappointed but mostly as a creator not a player.

I get what you are saying about super difficult levels but most players are not interested in even a mild challenge (why auto-play levels are so popular)

I had some levels that were challenging but not super difficult but nobody was interested.

So I look at the levels that have more stars than I have players on all my levels combined and try to figure out the magic formula.

I tried adapting my levels to appease them. Nothing.

I tried making brand new easier levels. Nothing.

I tried making auto-play levels. Nothing.

I tried making remake levels. Nothing.

I tried promoting my levels on database sites (including this one), forums, reddit, twitch and youtube streamers. Nothing.

All I have to show for my efforts over five weeks is 230 stars and most of those stars come from the shit levels I put zero effort into.

So why should I (as a creator) bother.

Think I'm just about ready to give up on this game. Only Wii U title I truly regret buying.

Dreamliner

GIR wrote:

Think I'm just about ready to give up on this game. Only Wii U title I truly regret buying.

I think I'm going to get rid of it while I can. Another thing I thought of is how worthless this will be in a few years when Nintendo kills Wii-U online.

Dreamliner

GIR

Dreamliner wrote:

Another thing I thought of is how worthless this will be in a few years when Nintendo kills Wii-U online.

Good point.

Pahvi wrote:

In case you haven't tried this already: after finding a stage you liked, check out the maker's other stages. You can even see which stages the maker gave stars to - if they make stages they like to play, more of the sort could be in there. When playing levels outside the 100 Mario Challenge, the level clear screen also shows level recommendations.

I do this and have found some great levels. I also look at the levels players who don’t star my levels star. More than a few star almost nothing but auto-play levels, I look at the levels they've uploaded almost nothing but auto-play levels too. I can see why they didn't star mine and were unable to complete it.

I also check out levels I have previously starred and some still only have the star that I've given them despite been really good levels. It's a shame that these levels will probably be overlooked and deleted. I'd love to give them 10/10 stars but the rating system doesn't work that way...

Pahvi wrote:

@GIR Why do you think 250 stars is a bad showing?

To answer your question... what do you want from Super Mario Maker? If it is a high number of stars, well, it's not just walking the extra mile with the promotion etc but also luck, making "good" levels and the size of the audience. Not every musician can be a pop star.

I understand what you are saying, and I totally accept that not "every musician can be a pop star" but my problem is the SMM ecosystem, it has way too many flaws. The rating system (lack of) a big problem. Not only that but if my levels don’t get stars they don’t get plays and if they don’t get plays they get deleted, even though there is nothing actually wrong with them. Someone who plays wont star a level because they were unable to beat it, they'll find a flaw no matter how small it is rather than admit the level was good and it beat them.

SMM it self doesn't do anything to help promotion of levels. If I want promotion I have to do it myself away from the ecosystem (fair enough I guess) but you have to be in the right place at the right time and so far I have failed at that. I'm honestly at a lost and SMM is the first game in Nintendo history that has me truly bewildered.

GIR

Pahvi wrote:

Do you think "fragmenting" the community within SMM would make it better?

I do. I really do. Perhaps setting up some kind of group system. So say I set up a SMM group, I am the "admin" and other creators can join. Levels would be submitted and would only appear in the group if the admin (or admins) approve of them. They could also have the option of putting it to a vote to approved/senior members of the group. Others not in the group would have the option to follow a group just as they can follow a single creator. Admins should also have the ability to block any creators before they even join. So no Niramous etc. These measures would be a good way to ensure a certain degree of quality within those groups. I'd also like some kind of proper level quality rating and difficulty rating system but that is another story.

Pahvi wrote:

Do the levels already get deleted, by the way? I haven't noticed anything like that happening to me so far.

I haven’t had any of my levels deleted either so far but as I understand according to the manual they will be deleted if they are "not very popular" but no indication of how many stars counts as "popular" all we can ascertain from this is auto-play levels are safe and will exist long after the heat death of the universe.

alephbetnun

Hey again, thought I'd share two new levels of mine! Hopefully the first one's not to simple for you guys, but as for the second one...that one's quite a challenge! Might bump it down to the "Hard" difficulty if the players are able to complete it better than I thought, but we'll see. Just follow the arrows!

I also made a much toned-down version of one of my previous levels, "Slay the Dragon!", since it only got one star over quite a few people. Unfortunately, especially with it being my first level, I made some mistakes in judging difficulty and possible frustrations; oh well, you live and learn!

Edited on by alephbetnun

Mario Kart Main: Mii (Mid-Weight) w/ Gold Kart, Gold Tires, MKTV Parafoil (VR: 3100+)
Smash Bros. Main: Olimar
Splatoon Main: Octobrush (Rank: S)
My Super Mario Maker Levels: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/redneckgamer3826?type=posted

Maxz

As a self-contained environment, it's pretty well acknowledged that the 'Course Would' set-up is massively flawed for churning out anything other than 'lowest common denominator' levels. However, I don't think that renders the whole game as unusable. The most important online function I've found in the game undoubtably the 'follow' function.

If you can find a level you like, it's not improbable that the creator may have other levels you like, and if you can find a few such creators, you can get yourself a dependable stream of levels you really appreciate. Conversely, if you make an impact in someone's Mario Making world, they may take a look at your levels and play - and star - as many as they wish to. I've had a few similar experiences of 'mutual appreciation' without any of them devolving to 'star-begging/exchanging' (which, miraculously, I don't think has really 'become a thing'). I think most of my given and received stars come from a relatively small number of people.

It's through these smaller-scale relations that I feel I've got the most out of the game, and the feedback I've been able to receive and give to a smaller number of people has added a new dimension to the game; extending the creative process of a level beyond the point at which it's submitted.

It's exciting to think of the game as a creative portal between you and the rest of the planet, which makes the reality that 'you don't care much for 'The World's levels, and The World doesn't much care for yours' even more despiriting. But 'The World' was always going to be a bit pants anyway. In finding a few gems and clinging onto them however, I believe the game can still be immensely rewarding.

On that subject, there's one guy who I think is massively underrated, and I'd encourage you to take a look at his levels. I'm in a bit of a rush, but I'll get the code later (EDIT: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKFKDZOj0g ). I'm also looking forward to playing some more of mrichardson's levels, as I saw the Mad Scientist one on YouTube and it looks insane. But alas, I am without console.

Anyway, sorry to make you read through all that...

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

ViolaBouquet

I have not posted in here in a long time, but I'm getting hooked on this game and thought I would share my first two levels.

Secrets Secrets Can Be Fun
4606-0000-00B3-CA9C

and

Goomba Cove
102D-0000-00B3-D82A

Thank you, have fun

Day Job:
Private violin/viola teacher
Freelance musician for weddings & other events

morrison22

My latest.... Can you break it or beat?

'Underground Scavenger Hunt II’

Mario is at it again! This time he is after Bowser Jr. who is lurking within the depths of the Underground. Explore an intricate puzzle and platforming level while discovering rewarding secrets. Included is a unique Checkpoint System to alleviate repetition once you reach a designated point. Good luck!

Style: SMW
Difficulty: Expert
ID: F761-0000-00B3-D1E3

Mario Maker Hub | http://www.mariomakerhub.com/makers/morrison22

Nintendo Network ID: morrison22

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.