Forums

Topic: Is the Wii U a failure?

Posts 121 to 140 of 460

blaisedinsd

I guess if your talking games you could say no true 3D mario and no new Zelda are games that better come out on this console eventually. Those games need to be in glorious HD for the first time.

I don't believe the idea that zelda could be moved to NX and we better here about a Mario game soon....I will disappointed if there is no mention of 3D mario at E3.

SW-7087-5868-6390

Chris720

When it came to release, there wasn't much hype surrounding the system. The launch games were quantity over quality so it was pretty crap, Nintendo didn't make a profit off the system unless they also sold a game with it. So, the Wii U flopped from the beginning essentially.

It picked up a bit of momentum with a few new releases from Ninty, but nothing that pushed it in a way that it became a winner.

Origin: chrisd1080
Steam: Chris720
Battle.net: Chris720
uPlay: Demonic720
YouTube

Nintendo Network ID: Chris720 | Twitter:

Klimbatize

Wesker wrote:

Is the Pope Catholic?

Hell if I know. I mean, have you heard some of the stuff he's said lately?

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

Joeynator3000

...I don't even know what's going on in here anymore, lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Haru17

iKhan wrote:

How exactly is TP "awful on Wii"? The pointer controls are far more convenient, being able to run and cut was nice, and the non-intrusive use of motion controls make it the most immersive game in the series.

Super Paper Mario is awesome. It scraps the turn-based gameplay that was boring unless you were starting a level or fighting a boss, and replaced it with a much more engaging action system.

MK8 trashed battle mode, made bikes almost completely pointless, cut back accessibility, weakened the roster, and stuck with MK7's terrible coin system. I have yet to play a track in it as good as Mushroom Gorge, Coconut Mall, DK Summit, Koopa Cape, or Grumble Volcano in MK8's new tracks. Better than MKWii? Nope.

Twilight Princess has run & slash in both versions. The combat is good, but the puzzles are the best part. Both versions are truly great.

Super Paper Mario is great. I prefer active turn based battles to platforming myself, but the world and story were still great so I loved that game. The MK coin item is kinda awful.

If you think it's better than any one of Galaxy, Prime or Twilight Princess I disagree even more.

You CAN NOT quantify and compare subjective value.

skywake wrote:

Plenty of which are on the Wii U. When you go outside of the big Mario, Metroid, Zelda on Wii there isn't much else that the Wii U doesn't do significantly better.

So, just about everything Nintendo makes that I care about?

You're not going to convince me otherwise, especially it your argument continues to be nothing but random tangents.

Lol, I'm not trying to convince you m8, just replying.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

skywake wrote:

Plenty of which are on the Wii U. When you go outside of the big Mario, Metroid, Zelda on Wii there isn't much else that the Wii U doesn't do significantly better.

Well I don't want to get into this nonsense argument yet again. But still, Galaxy is better than 3D World. Metroid Prime 3 is better than no Metroid at all. Twilight Princess, all things considered, is a better release than Wind Waker HD. But then there's Kart, Smash, Pikmin, DKC, Captain Toad, Bayonetta 2, The W101 with Splatoon, Starfox, Xenoblade and Zelda on the way. If you think those games don't rate? Then ok. But I'm not buying it.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

CaviarMeths

Hmm.

I prefer 3D World over Galaxy. Superior level design and wonderfully fun local co-op really makes it one of the most enjoyable experiences in platforming I've ever had, even if it is "objectively" poorer than Galaxy.

And I'll take Wind Waker over Twilight Princess, so Wind Waker HD definitely over Twilight Princess. But we'll have to wait and see with Zelda U.

No Metroid is certainly vexing. It's really all I need, the only piece missing from my puzzle. If we get one on the Wii U, there would be nothing holding me back from calling the Wii U 1st party library Nintendo's best since the SNES.

Some Mario sports stuff wouldn't hurt either. And an F-Zero. But those would just be the cherry on top.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

skywake

CaviarMeths wrote:

I prefer 3D World over Galaxy. Superior level design and wonderfully fun local co-op really makes it one of the most enjoyable experiences in platforming I've ever had, even if it is "objectively" poorer than Galaxy.

And I'll take Wind Waker over Twilight Princess, so Wind Waker HD definitely over Twilight Princess. But we'll have to wait and see with Zelda U.

No Metroid is certainly vexing. It's really all I need, the only piece missing from my puzzle. If we get one on the Wii U, there would be nothing holding me back from calling the Wii U 1st party library Nintendo's best since the SNES.

I don't agree with the bit about Galaxy vs 3D World. I do agree with your point about Wind Waker and the only reason I think Twilight Princess is more interesting is because at the time it was an original title. Which for me didn't matter because I hadn't played Wind Waker anyways but I'm ok with conceeding that point. And Metroid, for sure. 100%. But even then I'd take an original game like Splatoon over another entry into the Metroid Prime series......

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haru17

skywake wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

skywake wrote:

Well I don't want to get into this nonsense argument yet again. But still, Galaxy is better than 3D World. Metroid Prime 3 is better than no Metroid at all. Twilight Princess, all things considered, is a better release than Wind Waker HD. But then there's Kart, Smash, Pikmin, DKC, Captain Toad, Bayonetta 2, The W101 with Splatoon, Starfox, Xenoblade and Zelda on the way. If you think those games don't rate? Then ok. But I'm not buying it.

We really need to stop assuming that I'm arguing that 'the Wii U is a failure.' I never said that, people of the forum, only that I think it offers a shallower collection than past consoles.

The Wii U is great if you play games that are basically only relatively simple gameplay; pressing buttons and doing things. Even better if you have local coop gamers. I don't; none of my immediate family can even play Super Mario without being bad so :/

There are some more complex games too. Platinum's stuff, Monster Hunter, Pikmin 3, and perhaps Splatoon are in that grouping.

But I already have the last 2 generations of Monster Hunter on new 3DS XL and I can wait to pick up a Wii U for $100 or the next console's potential backwards compatibility to play Bayonetta and Pikmin.

And I damn love Corruption 3, if they made a similar sequel on Wii U I'd buy one tomorrow. The same goes for Twilight Princess and Zelda U (TBA 20XX).

As for now Nintendo just doesn't make things that appeal to me as what I can consider 'great' in the same way that Life is Strange, Inquisition, and the Witcher 3 can. I really, really wish they did at the moment.

Kevlar44

Well I don't want to get into this nonsense argument yet again. But still, Galaxy is better than 3D World.

I think 3D World is way better and i've been playing Mario since the NES and have beaten every single one.

Edited on by Kevlar44

Kevlar44

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

Life is Strange

What's up with that anyway? I watched all of the trailers on Steam and I don't think I saw even 1 second of actual gameplay. It was all story trailers. Is it a game? Do you play it? And I hate to use this word, because it's used so broadly now that it's lost all meaning, but it looked like Hipsters: An Interactive Adventure.

What's the draw? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash the game, I just don't "get" it.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Life is Strange

What's up with that anyway? I watched all of the trailers on Steam and I don't think I saw even 1 second of actual gameplay. It was all story trailers. Is it a game? Do you play it? And I hate to use this word, because it's used so broadly now that it's lost all meaning, but it looked like Hipsters: An Interactive Adventure.

What's the draw? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash the game, I just don't "get" it.

Well, it's a linear Bioware adventure game essentially. Hipsters... perhaps, but I think that's a very surface-level read. Basically you progress through a linear series of explorable environments, talking to people and solving light adventure game puzzles. The time travel mechanic is what makes that game great, I think, because you can redo any conversation and choice in that area of the game.

Where the game gets really clever is the little character details hidden in the environment. Exploring people's rooms in particular can be really revealing if you connect the dots.

The choices seem to have a Mass Effect-level of significance thus far and the first 2/5 episodes have been 2-3 hours depending on your degree of completionism. If you're going to play it don't spoil yourself on it, would be my advice.

UGXwolf

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Life is Strange

You're not gonna hear me defend a game with little to no gameplay much, but Life Is Strange is possibly one of the most interesting games I've seen lately. It sets up gameplay similar to Tell Tale's games, but you can sort of turn back time. Sort of. Essentially, you can give an answer or action and see the immediate consequences, decide you don't like it, and pick another action, however, you can only go back so far. You still have to live with the long-term consequences of whatever you do, and with good writing, that can create loads of tragic scenarios that will stick to the player all the more simply because the player actually could've done something about them (and even moreso, with the power to do something about most scenarios, scenarios you had no chance to stop are even more powerful.)

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

iKhan

CaviarMeths wrote:

People need to stop acting like WW HD matters so much. It's an HD remaster with some fine tuning. You can get something that's a near equivalent experience on GC. This isn't a Mario 64 DS or HG/SS situation in which the remake actually adds a ton of content.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CaviarMeths

Yeah, it has my interest piqued and I've been hearing almost all positive things about it, but I've been sitting on the fence about it for a while. Guess I'll throw it on my Steam wishlist.

Haru17

UGXwolf wrote:

You still have to live with the long-term consequences of whatever you do, and with good writing, that can create loads of tragic scenarios that will stick to the player all the more simply because the player actually could've done something about them (and even moreso, with the power to do something about most scenarios, scenarios you had no chance to stop are even more powerful.)

#agree. I assume you've played the most recent episode 0_0

Anyway, Caviar, if you haven't gotten into the game yet you might be better off waiting for the entire game to come out, given that it's episodic. The third episode is due out this month and last 2 every other month until completion.

UGXwolf

iKhan wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

People need to stop acting like WW HD matters so much. It's an HD remaster with some fine tuning. You can get something that's a near equivalent experience on GC. This isn't a Mario 64 DS or HG/SS situation in which the remake actually adds a ton of content.

Actually, no, because all of that fine tuning was stuff made possible by the hardware upgrades of the Wii U, with the exception of a few design choices that wouldn't have been immediately obvious to a brand new title, but were far more obvious in hindsight. And as someone who only enjoyed the game on GCN, I absolutely LOVED it on Wii U. It was ok on GCN, but the remake did a lot of things to fix the problems the original had to the point of near perfection. (With all that said, I don't the WWHD constitutes a particularly good reason to get a Wii U moreso than a sweet bonus.)

Haru17

UGXwolf wrote:

iKhan wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Actually, no, because all of that fine tuning was stuff made possible by the hardware upgrades of the Wii U, with the exception of a few design choices that wouldn't have been immediately obvious to a brand new title, but were far more obvious in hindsight. And as someone who only enjoyed the game on GCN, I absolutely LOVED it on Wii U. It was ok on GCN, but the remake did a lot of things to fix the problems the original had to the point of near perfection. (With all that said, I don't the WWHD constitutes a particularly good reason to get a Wii U moreso than a sweet bonus.)

I mean, it's not like they deigned to move the islands closer together despite that being the obvious choice now that they don't really have to mitigate load times.

UGXwolf

Haru17 wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

iKhan wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

I mean, it's not like they deigned to move the islands closer together despite that being the obvious choice now that they don't really have to mitigate load times.

The islands being far apart wasn't due to load times, though. It was based on stylistic choice. The speed of the boat was what they had to limit due to load times (and you'll see why if you look up a Wind Waker GCN speedrun. Super Swimming is hilarious, but dangerous, as you can literally fall right through the Ocean, since it doesn't load in fast enough.) I suppose they could've just sped up the boat altogether, but they wanted you to be able to appreciate the increased speed, even if you haven't played the original. (And the Swift Sail becomes available super early on, so it's not like they keep it from you for two-thirds of the game to pad out the length.)

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.