Forums

Topic: Is the Wii U a failure?

Posts 141 to 160 of 460

Grumblevolcano

Wind Waker HD was considerably better than Wind Waker imo. My biggest issues with the original were the Triforce quest which they shortened in HD, rupee grinding for Tingle's maps which was made better by having to decipher less maps in HD and sailing being very slow which was fixed via the Swift Sail in HD. Sure I've only played each once but I plan on playing through a few key Zelda games again over the summer (e.g. MM3D for the first time), that is unless Nintendo announce more Mario Kart 8 DLC at E3.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

CaviarMeths

iKhan wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

And I'll take Wind Waker over Twilight Princess, so Wind Waker HD definitely over Twilight Princess. But we'll have to wait and see with Zelda U.

People need to stop acting like WW HD matters so much. It's an HD remaster with some fine tuning. You can get something that's a near equivalent experience on GC. This isn't a Mario 64 DS or HG/SS situation in which the remake actually adds a ton of content.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that there was a statute of limitations on the quality of a game.

Just so that I don't make this mistake again, how many years is it, exactly? When will Twilight Princess not be a good game anymore so that I can assert my opinion that Wind Waker is better than it without embarrassing myself?

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Socar

I haven't gotten the Wii U in years and I'm planning to get one this year. To be frank, whether its a success or a failure, its a step of improvement over the next one. The problem people had with the Wii was its motion controls. The Wii U's problem is its gamepad.

The thing is devs can just make games without the gamepad being the selling point and its not necessary to actually use the gamepad. The only reason why people would use the gamepad is to play games when someone wants to watch tv. That was the whole point of the gamepad. I've seen DS games that barely made use of the DS features like Castlevania which doesn't use the mic nor does contra 4. Lots of games just use one screen as the entire game with the other being just for menus and whatnot.

To those who wish the NX to have controllers is likely not going to happen because Nintendo is always about innovation whether being gimmicky or doing the same formula. So if its going to be like the Gamecube with a controller, it would just feel a step backwards and let everyone think that Nintendo is copying Sony and Microsoft (which is opposite btw!) Who knows, maybe the NX won't be needing a controller if its a handheld and if its both a console and handheld gaming, that would be different.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

skywake

Wind Waker HD is widescreen and is running in HD. End of discussion.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

iKhan wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

And I'll take Wind Waker over Twilight Princess, so Wind Waker HD definitely over Twilight Princess. But we'll have to wait and see with Zelda U.

People need to stop acting like WW HD matters so much. It's an HD remaster with some fine tuning. You can get something that's a near equivalent experience on GC. This isn't a Mario 64 DS or HG/SS situation in which the remake actually adds a ton of content.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that there was a statute of limitations on the quality of a game.

Just so that I don't make this mistake again, how many years is it, exactly? When will Twilight Princess not be a good game anymore so that I can assert my opinion that Wind Waker is better than it without embarrassing myself?

Because Wind Waker wasn't made in 2013, it was made from 2000-2003 and ported in 2013. Meaning it has no bearing on Nintendo's current development capabilities.

Also, as far as the Wii U library goes, probably most fans played it long before the U was even announced. So it's not exactly a shiny new game to play.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

UGXwolf

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

iKhan wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Because Wind Waker wasn't made in 2013, it was made from 2000-2003 and ported in 2013. Meaning it has no bearing on Nintendo's current development capabilities.

Also, as far as the Wii U library goes, probably most fans played it long before the U was even announced. So it's not exactly a shiny new game to play.

Port =/= remake

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

JoyBoy

Urgh... SKIP!

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

GrailUK

I think it is very unreasonable to tell a new generation of kids "If you want to go play Windwaker then buy a Gamecube!". The selfish and greedy attitude of game collectors is nauseating. It's like their argument is "I already own this. It is irrelevant." It is better to have Wii U Windwaker than not to have it, so I just don't see the point discussing it. Homes with families do not want a cluttered house full of 15 game consoles and 1000's of games (although I am sure there are some out there...). From a business stand point, promoting second hand gaming is also self destructive as it provides zero revenue to the company.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

My point was that iKhan's attempt to refute my words was misguided. That entire post was concerning my personal opinion all of those games. Yes, it was a little off-topic, but we were all kind of in a sharing mood about gaming opinions. 8 pages into this thread, I don't think we need to reopen the debate of which Zelda game has the most historical significance. It was too stuffy in here. Needs more chit-chat, less parliament.

Though I understand that not having a Wii U severely limits one's ability to offer an opinion on its games.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

Because Wind Waker wasn't made in 2013, it was made from 2000-2003 and ported in 2013. Meaning it has no bearing on Nintendo's current development capabilities. Also, as far as the Wii U library goes, probably most fans played it long before the U was even announced. So it's not exactly a shiny new game to play.

Right, 4.6mill copies of the original sold and ten years later. Obviously the vast majority of people who would have wanted to play it would have played it. I'd personally err on the other side of the guestimate. More likely given the not-insane sales levels of the original, the lack of any remake prior and the huge gap? Almost surely most of the people who got it on Wii U hadn't played it before.

edit:
Also you were going on about the Witcher 3 before as an example of what the Wii U is missing out on. There's a Steam sale on ATM (isn't there always) and I downloaded the Witcher 2 because why not. Half an hour in, convoluted as hell. Game isn't really my thing though I'll probably get my money's worth. I stand by my belief that there's way more fun to be had with the more chaotic non-story driven games. Style and gameplay should always come first. Nintendo gets that, the Wii U has that. I can't complain.

Edited on by skywake

CaviarMeths

skywake wrote:

Also you were going on about the Witcher 3 before as an example of what the Wii U is missing out on. There's a Steam sale on ATM (isn't there always) and I downloaded the Witcher 2 because why not. Half an hour in, convoluted as hell. Game isn't really my thing though I'll probably get my money's worth. I stand by my belief that there's way more fun to be had with the more chaotic non-story driven games. Style and gameplay should always come first. Nintendo gets that, the Wii U has that. I can't complain.

Consider yourself lucky that you didn't play the first one. The gameplay is clunky and awful, difficult to enjoy without some very liberal modding. The second is a solid improvement. I find the story and lore interesting in both though.

I picked them both up during the last sale. Think I paid less than $6 for both combined. It's like CDPR is sending me a message. "Yo Cav, wait a year or so to buy our new game. It'll be $20 next summer."

Edited on by CaviarMeths

Haru17

UGXwolf wrote:

Port =/= remake

Yes, and the Wind Waker is a port, with a few bells & whistles. When you only have incremental adjustments with no new content added to a very popular game among Nintendo fans it's probably not that new to anyone, is all I'm saying.

CaviarMeths wrote:

Though I understand that not having a Wii U severely limits one's ability to offer an opinion on its games.

Well, you see, I've already played the WWHD, on gamecube. And I have the information age to tell me what's different. And while I don't know the different moves in Bayonetta or what the buttons are mapped to in Nintendoland, I have a pretty good idea of the genres involved. Also know that I've already played some of the Wii U's best games; Mario Kart, Smash, and Monster Hunter 3U, on 3DS.

Come to think of it, the Wii U's first party games are all sequels, really; Tropical Freeze, 3D World, Pikmin 3, NSMB, etc. So I know exactly how all of those games play, sans tweaks.

I do not, however, know how the Witcher 3 will play, because they keep having to revamp the awful combat every time =P But that game's all about the story anyway, and story by its very nature tends to be all original material in sequels.

skywake

@Haru17
Darn dude, I didn't realise. You've been spending all this time complaining about the Wii U's library. Judging it's content, saying that it's not as good as the content on this platform or that. And you don't even have a Wii U? What the hell? You have absolutely no credibility in this discussion if that's the position you're trashing the Wii U's library from.

At least when I argue that the Wii U's library is better than the Wii's I'm saying it as a person who has a decent collection of Wii and Wii U games. When I say having a 3DS and it's titles isn't enough to give you an understanding of how good the Wii U's library is? I say that as someone who also has a fair amount of 3DS games. When I say that IMO it beats what "next gen" has to offer? I say it as someone who has a PC and a depressing steam backlog. When you say it's none of those things? Well what do you know? You're just jealous because you don't have one

Edited on by Eel

Haru17

skywake wrote:

@Haru17
Darn dude, I didn't realise. You've been spending all this time complaining about the Wii U's library. Judging it's content, saying that it's not as good as the content on this platform or that. And you don't even have a Wii U? What the hell? You have absolutely no credibility in this discussion if that's the position you're trashing the Wii U's library from.

At least when I argue that the Wii U's library is better than the Wii's I'm saying it as a person who has a decent collection of Wii and Wii U games. When I say having a 3DS and it's titles isn't enough to give you an understanding of how good the Wii U's library is? I say that as someone who also has a fair amount of 3DS games. When I say that IMO it beats what "next gen" has to offer? I say it as someone who has a PC and a depressing steam backlog. When you say it's none of those things? Well what do you know? You're just jealous because you don't have one

Ad hominems all day, 'ereday.

Anyway, I know how Nintendo franchises play, I've given them hundreds of dollars just in 8th gen alone. And I'm not 'trashing' anything, only discussing. Try smarter not harder if you want to vilify me.

Edited on by Eel

UGXwolf

Haru17 wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Port =/= remake

Yes, and the Wind Waker is a port, with a few bells & whistles. When you only have incremental adjustments with no new content added to a very popular game among Nintendo fans it's probably not that new to anyone, is all I'm saying.

CaviarMeths wrote:

Well, you see, I've already played the WWHD, on gamecube. And I have the information age to tell me what's different. And while I don't know the different moves in Bayonetta or what the buttons are mapped to in Nintendoland, I have a pretty good idea of the genres involved. Also know that I've already played some of the Wii U's best games; Mario Kart, Smash, and Monster Hunter 3U, on 3DS.

Come to think of it, the Wii U's first party games are all sequels, really; Tropical Freeze, 3D World, Pikmin 3, NSMB, etc. So I know exactly how all of those games play, sans tweaks.

I do not, however, know how the Witcher 3 will play, because they keep having to revamp the awful combat every time =P But that game's all about the story anyway, and story by its very nature tends to be all original material in sequels.

Oh, God, this is the Bolt_Strike argument all over again! When will people figure out that they don't know how a game plays if they haven't played it? Just because you THINK you can tell how it plays based on how previous ones have played doesn't mean you KNOW anything, and in this particular case, you'd only actually be right about NSMBU playing a hell of a lot like the other NSMB games (but better.)

And at least get your definitions right. WWHD isn't a port. It's a remake. They remade it from the ground up. The tweaks may seem minor from an outsider's perspective, but they make a very, VERY big difference from a player's perspective. Yes, it's still Windwaker, but no, it doesn't play exactly like Windwaker because it's not the exact same game. They took an alright Zelda title and made it an amazing Zelda title. All the drag has been noticeable lessened, sometimes with just a few frame cuts and others by using the Wii U's heightened power to load in the whole world at once.

Also, no, I'm sorry, a good story may excuse weak gameplay, but it does not excuse bad gameplay. Those are two very different things. The Walking Dead has weak gameplay, but the story more than makes up for that. I can't comment on the Witcher, as I haven't played it (fancy that! Someone not criticizing a game he hasn't played! The world must be ending!) but if it's as bad as everyone in this thread makes it sound, no amount of amazing story will fix that. It's still a bad game.

iKhan

CaviarMeths wrote:

iKhan wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

I'm not saying WW isn't a good game, it's my 2nd favorite in the series. But people act like WW HD is a huge upgrade and a major point towards the Wii U's library when, for the most part, it's the same game released in 2003.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Rin-go

@skywake
It seems that those, who criticize the Wii U the most often don't even own one. How someone can say they know how Mario Kart 8 plays, because they played the seven Mario Karts before it is beyond me. How would you know, when you haven't even tried it?

Rin-go

UGXwolf

It's easy for you to claim ad hominem, but this is actually relevant to your credibility. If you had actually played these games, like most of the people you are arguing with, your opinion would be valid, if not heavily disagreeable, but you can't have an opinion on something you haven't tried, and just because you say it's the same beast doesn't make it the same beast. Anyone that plays Mario Kart ever can tell you that no two games play exactly alike. By your logic, you can play Forza 5 and know how Crash Team Racing plays because they're both racing games.

As a counter, you're very guilty of the "Fallacy fallacy," which is when a person assumes that because the opponent committed a fallacy that their argument holds no weight. You still have no basis to form an opinion on as you can't have a reasonable opinion on something you've never tried. I don't know why people are coming around acting like you can.

Haru17

UGXwolf wrote:

Oh, God, this is the Bolt_Strike argument all over again! When will people figure out that they don't know how a game plays if they haven't played it? Just because you THINK you can tell how it plays based on how previous ones have played doesn't mean you KNOW anything, and in this particular case, you'd only actually be right about NSMBU playing a hell of a lot like the other NSMB games (but better.)

As I recall it, Bolt_Strike was passing judgment on specific games without having played them. I haven't reviewed any particular Wii U game (that I haven't already played on a different system.) I'm commenting mainly on the library and the general first party selection. I'm honest about what interests me and the only potential killer app I see for Wii U (for me) is Zelda U, or Monster Hunter 3U if I hadn't already played 100s of hours of that game on Wii and then 3DS.

I have never played Mario Kart Wii, but I have played 64, Double Dash, Gamecube, Wii, 3DS, and seen plenty of 8 so don't even tell me that I have no idea what it plays like. It's Mario Kart M8! There's not much ambiguity there, lol.

UGXwolf wrote:

As a counter, you're very guilty of the "Fallacy fallacy," which is when a person assumes that because the opponent committed a fallacy that their argument holds no weight.

Nope, I just disagree with you twice

And again, to reiterate for the 100th time, I never said the Wii U was a failure.

Edited on by Haru17

CaviarMeths

So a couple hundred posts in.

"Is the Wii U a failure?"

Wii U owners: "No."
Non Wii U owners: "Yes."

Chalk this up as a wash, I guess.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.