Forums

Topic: How many of you ONLY own a Wii-U for next gen gaming?

Posts 161 to 180 of 416

Tasuki

Jaz007 wrote:

I also have a PS4, there's no way I could only survive on my Wii U.

Pretty much this. I love Nintendo's first party games and to be quite honest I enjoy Nintendo's first party games more so then Sony's or MS's but I want to be able to play third party games like GTA V and Street Fighter or Arkham Knight so since Nintendo seems to ignore alot of third party games I have to go with either a Sony or MS system. Last gen I went with an Xbox 360 but this gen I went with PS4.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

CaviarMeths

My Wii U backlog groweth. I have 54 games on my Wii U (23 full retail, 22 VC, 9 indies). 1st party games, 3rd party games, E games, M games, platformers, action, fighting, shooting, etc. Some of them I haven't even opened yet, let alone completed. At this rate, I'll need to buy a PS4 or XB1 to supplement my gaming in.... 2043.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

SCRAPPER392

Kogorn733 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@SpookeyMeths
Things went from, "I'm not buying Xbox One, because of always online and DRM", to, "They tried to do always online and DRM. It's gone now, but still!". That kind of thinking is irrational on all levels, because the fact of the matter is that those potential policies were thrown out, period.

It's not irrational. As a consumer, I was furious when Microsoft attempted to "change" the industry in a way that would limit game ownership, mandate always-online DRM, nickel and dime the consumer, and generally favor game publishers far more than the consumers. Microsoft retracted those policies out of commercial necessity due to the backlash they received, but that doesn't change the fact that they wanted to do it, and would probably still prefer that things go in that direction.

If someone punches you in the face, you might forgive them, but you'd always be watching your back the next time you see them and probably wouldn't want much to do with them anymore. That's more or less how I feel about the XBox brand. I will never, ever buy an XBox product, and while I want to see all other consoles, be it PS4, Wii U, Occulus, etc. succeed, the XBox is a brand that I hope will crash and burn.

You were furious? Guess what, you don't have to buy Xbox. All I'm saying is that the policies don't exist, period. Get over it. Move on. If you still aren't going to buy Xbox, even though the policies were thrown out, then that means you didn't forgive them. Forgiveness means that you left it all behind.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgiveness

"lets go of negative emotions such as vengefulness"
Not buying Xbox One is a form of vengefulness, if the reason why you refuse to buy it, is because of now irrelevant policies.

EDIT: Having ill will towards Microsoft is pathetic.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

unrandomsam

I would have got an Xbox One if the original idea stood (And I could do the sharing thing with my two brothers who don't live with me).

I hate messing around with disks. (I would buy the exclusives they would buy the multiplatform games and I would use it as a demo for the PC version if I really wanted it).

Something has to be done about the used situation those shops are parasites.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

SCRAPPER392

unrandomsam wrote:

I would have got an Xbox One if the original idea stood (And I could do the sharing thing with my two brothers who don't live with me).

I hate messing around with disks. (I would buy the exclusives they would buy the multiplatform games and I would use it as a demo for the PC version if I really wanted it).

Something has to be done about the used situation those shops are parasites.

Exactly. People ask for better used game prices and better account sharing options, all the time. Microsoft was going to go into that direction, and suddenly the ground is cracking and lava is coming out. It just goes to show that sometimes people don't know what they are asking for.

Qwest

Spoony_Tech

SCAR392 wrote:

Kogorn733 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@SpookeyMeths
Things went from, "I'm not buying Xbox One, because of always online and DRM", to, "They tried to do always online and DRM. It's gone now, but still!". That kind of thinking is irrational on all levels, because the fact of the matter is that those potential policies were thrown out, period.

It's not irrational. As a consumer, I was furious when Microsoft attempted to "change" the industry in a way that would limit game ownership, mandate always-online DRM, nickel and dime the consumer, and generally favor game publishers far more than the consumers. Microsoft retracted those policies out of commercial necessity due to the backlash they received, but that doesn't change the fact that they wanted to do it, and would probably still prefer that things go in that direction.

If someone punches you in the face, you might forgive them, but you'd always be watching your back the next time you see them and probably wouldn't want much to do with them anymore. That's more or less how I feel about the XBox brand. I will never, ever buy an XBox product, and while I want to see all other consoles, be it PS4, Wii U, Occulus, etc. succeed, the XBox is a brand that I hope will crash and burn.

You were furious? Guess what, you don't have to buy Xbox. All I'm saying is that the policies don't exist, period. Get over it. Move on. If you still aren't going to buy Xbox, even though the policies were thrown out, then that means you didn't forgive them. Forgiveness means that you left it all behind.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgiveness

"lets go of negative emotions such as vengefulness"
Not buying Xbox One is a form of vengefulness, if the reason why you refuse to buy it, is because of now irrelevant policies.

EDIT: Having ill will towards Microsoft is pathetic.

My ill will goes far beyond the video game division. They're an arrogant company that thinks no one else deserves to be in business. They buy up other companies to reduce competition. When they first announced the Xbox one and all those limitations I cringed and I'm glad they stand where they do today because of it. If you make bad business decisions then you deserve to be where you are. I honestly believe they lost millions to Sony for what they did.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

SCRAPPER392

Spoony_Tech wrote:

When they first announced the Xbox one and all those limitations I cringed and I'm glad they stand where they do today because of it. If you make bad business decisions then you deserve to be where you are. I honestly believe they lost millions to Sony for what they did.

Go ahead and believe that. The fact of the matter is, that people still chose PS4, even though the policies don't exist. That means the people who have purchased PS4, preferred PS4 anyway.

Qwest

Spoony_Tech

SCAR392 wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

When they first announced the Xbox one and all those limitations I cringed and I'm glad they stand where they do today because of it. If you make bad business decisions then you deserve to be where you are. I honestly believe they lost millions to Sony for what they did.

Go ahead and believe that. The fact of the matter is, that people still chose PS4, even though the policies don't exist. That means the people who have purchased PS4, preferred PS4 anyway.

That's not what I said, Microsoft pushed away a lot of customers and existing 360 owners towards Sony for what they did. Sony wouldn't be where they are right now sales wise with the PS4 is not for what they did. I know a ton of people that ran to the PS4 because of it. These record breaking sales for Sony have a lot to do with Microsoft.

The sad thing about it all is I hear a lot of negative things about the PS4 and it's operating system. Seems the XOne is built much better.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

skywake

There's a lot of reasons why I wouldn't get an XBOne TBH. Obviously I have a PC so that's the main reason, by quite a bit. However it's also a machine that tries to put media stuff ahead of gaming. Up until recently they forced you to get Kinect and pay extra for the privilege while literally getting worse performance in games. To be fair I don't really buy into the "ZOMG 900p vs 1080p" thing, it's a console, but if the one that tends to do a better job of it is cheaper? No brainer.

Also it's not like there's a massive list of exclusives on either of them that I really want to get the system for. There are a few games on PC, PS4 and XBOne but that just pushes us back to the previous bit. In terms of the hardware itself? PS4 is a better deal than the XBOne and going for the PC lets you push the spec as hard as you want. It just comes down to that.

The Wii U on the other hand is it's own thing, none of the above things even come into it.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SCRAPPER392

Spoony_Tech wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

That's not what I said, Microsoft pushed away a lot of customers and existing 360 owners towards Sony for what they did. Sony wouldn't be where they are right now sales wise with the PS4 is not for what they did. I know a ton of people that ran to the PS4 because of it. These record breaking sales for Sony have a lot to do with Microsoft.

The sad thing about it all is I hear a lot of negative things about the PS4 and it's operating system. Seems the XOne is built much better.

What didn't you say? It's still anecdotal evidence. The Xbox One doesn't have those policies, so any decision after that is still because of preference for PS4.
Also, yes, I read the PS4's OS is pretty crappy, too. That has more to do with Sony not knowing how to code very well. Microsoft is still primarily a Windows OS company, so I would figure they are more experienced in that regard, and this isn't really anything against Sony, honestly.

Qwest

iKhan

The reason I would never buy an XB1 is because it's pretty much the most unnecessary console ever created. Most consoles in history had SOMETHING outside of exclusive games that made the system stand out. Maybe the architecture was easier to program for, maybe the controller was unique, maybe it was dramatically cheaper. Aside from slightly better bundles, the XB1 has nothing. It's literally a platform that holds Microsoft exclusive games hostage. Nothing more.

When you are buying an XB1, you are basically telling Microsoft "It's okay you created what is basically a slightly weaker PS4, as long as you keep shelling out cash to restrict games to the system, despite the fact that such a restriction confers zero benefit to me"

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

SCRAPPER392

iKhan wrote:

The reason I would never buy an XB1 is because it's pretty much the most unnecessary console ever created. Most consoles in history had SOMETHING outside of exclusive games that made the system stand out. Maybe the architecture was easier to program for, maybe the controller was unique, maybe it was dramatically cheaper. Aside from slightly better bundles, the XB1 has nothing. It's literally a platform that holds Microsoft exclusive games hostage. Nothing more.

When you are buying an XB1, you are basically telling Microsoft "It's okay you created what is basically a slightly weaker PS4, as long as you keep shelling out cash to restrict games to the system, despite the fact that such a restriction confers zero benefit to me"

Xbox exists, because of focus on video games. Why do you think Microsoft even started a gaming division? They did it, because they wouldn't be able to push gaming on PC as hard as they can on a dedicated gaming machine. It has alot to do with marketing and other standards, outside of hardware, because otherwise Microsoft games WOULD be on PC.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

Tasuki

I was one of those people that bought a PS4 because of MS's original Xbox One ideas. As someone who is on a limited budget I buy almost all of my games used so that DRM policy was a big deal breaker for me. The always online wasn't too big of a deal for me since my consoles are always online. The other thing that killed the Xbox One for me was not having a Kinectless model at launch. If they would had one at launch then I probably would have bought one since they wont back on their DRM policy. The fact that the Xbox One was a hundred dollars more then PS4 and mainly that was for a piece of equipment I would never use. They should have offered it from the start as an accessory and not try to cram it down people's throats.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

iKhan

SCAR392 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Xbox exists, because of focus on video games. Why do you think Microsoft even started a gaming division? They did it, because they wouldn't be able to push gaming on PC as hard as they can on a dedicated gaming machine. It has alot to do with marketing and other standards, outside of hardware, because otherwise Microsoft games WOULD be on PC.

I know why it exists from a business perspective. My point is that it's pointless from a consumer perspective. When you buy an XB1, you aren't paying 400 dollars for hardware you want (if that was the case, you'd buy a PS4, which is more powerful and has more features), you are paying 400 dollars for permission to play Microsoft exclusive games.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

RR529

iKhan wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I know why it exists from a business perspective. My point is that it's pointless from a consumer perspective. When you buy an XB1, you aren't paying 400 dollars for hardware you want (if that was the case, you'd buy a PS4, which is more powerful and has more features), you are paying 400 dollars for permission to play Microsoft exclusive games.

Not to say other features don't factor in, because they do, but when it comes down to it, isn't that why you buy any console (for the exclusives)?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

skywake

SCAR392 wrote:

It's not that Microsoft didn't want to get their mits on that market it's just that they were slow and their service was garbage. At its core the XBox wasn't about finding a way to sell games, it was a way to get Windows Media Centre out into the market. Because Windows Media Centre was a flop and they've always had an ambition to have a PC in every room of your house. The fact that they can get a cut of game sales? Well that's just a bonus.

You've gotta remember that when the XBox was created Apple was dead, phones played Snake and PC gaming was still in love with physical media. Microsoft owned the PC market, there was no reason for them to even bother trying to push it. Their intent was to expand into other areas and the safest option was to go after consoles. Would have been smarter to push towards phones in hindsight but still. It was a very different market compared to what exists now.

So when Microsoft did the stuff they did with the XBOne? That's what they always intended on doing, they're still stuck in thinking that that's where they should go. But gamers? Well we just want the same deal we got in the 80s and 90s but with better visuals. Load the game, press go. Done. That's it. Microsoft has never really been interested in that.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

iKhan

RR529 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Not to say other features don't factor in, because they do, but when it comes down to it, isn't that why you buy any console (for the exclusives)?

Yes and no. I buy a console because it presents a good value to me. Usually, I buy one system per generation, so my purchase is because the system allows me to play games that wouldn't be possible on the system I currently own. If the GC just had games that looked and played like N64 games, I probably wouldn't want to own a Gamecube.

As I've gotten older though, I've gotten more interested in owning multiple systems. And yes, in that case, exclusives do mostly motivate me. But in the same way that the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact phone being T-Mobile exclusive motivates me to switch to T-Mobile. Or Xenoblade Chronicles being GameStop exclusive motivates me to shop at GameStop. I do it, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Like I'm feeding a corporate juggernaut somewhere who tried to differentiate their product/service by cutting off options from the consumer, rather than producing a differentiated product.

So when Microsoft creates a product that is built around that concept, you bet I'm gonna be a bit sour. Luckily I'm not a huge Microsoft fan, so there aren't any games on the system that I am dying to have either.

Edited on by iKhan

RR529

iKhan wrote:

RR529 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Yes and no. I buy a console because it presents a good value to me. Usually, I buy one system per generation, so my purchase is because the system allows me to play games that wouldn't be possible on the system I currently own. If the GC just had games that looked and played like N64 games, I probably wouldn't want to own a Gamecube.

As I've gotten older though, I've gotten more interested in owning multiple systems. And yes, in that case, exclusives do mostly motivate me. But in the same way that the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact phone being T-Mobile exclusive motivates me to switch to T-Mobile. Or Xenoblade Chronicles being GameStop exclusive motivates me to shop at GameStop. I do it, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Like I'm feeding a corporate juggernaut somewhere who tried to differentiate their product/service by cutting off options from the consumer, rather than producing a differentiated product.

So when Microsoft creates a product that is built around that concept, you bet I'm gonna be a bit sour. Luckily I'm not a huge Microsoft fan, so there aren't any games on the system that I am dying to have either.

It's the same for all three companies, though.

If you want to play Mario, Nintendo limits you to choosing Nintendo hardware. If you want to play Uncharted, Sony limits you to choosing PS. If you want to play Halo, MS limits you to choosing Xbox.

So, suddenly Microsoft becomes extra greedy, just by the virtue that there's no technological barrier keeping their games from being released on other hardware (while Ninty & Sony have a "legitimate" reason for keeping their games exclusive, via Gamepad use & extra power, respectively)? Sorry, I simply disagree.

I'm not saying they haven't done anything questionable as a company, but out of all the possible reasons to criticise them, this just seems like a really... odd choice, IMO.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

DefHalan

One Man's trash is another Man's treasure. Just because one person sees no value in something doesn't mean there is none for someone else. The Wii U is facing that argument the most

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

KryptoniteKrunch

DefHalan wrote:

One Man's trash is another Man's treasure. Just because one person sees no value in something doesn't mean there is none for someone else. The Wii U is facing that argument the most

Very true. People often say "Wii U haz no gamez" but I have more than enough to play on Wii U. On the flipside, besides Killzone and MAYBE Infamous, I can't see anything remotely interesting on the PS4 that I can't play on my PS3.

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.