Forums

Topic: How many of you ONLY own a Wii-U for next gen gaming?

Posts 141 to 160 of 416

CaviarMeths

SCAR392 wrote:

It depends on who you mean by "people". I speak for myself, at least, when I am still able to think outside of marketing. That's why I don't think advertising was all that important for Wii U, at first, because the only people I would think are going to care, are the people already paying attention.

By "people" I mean the market. Sony has about a 50% market share right now.

Last gen, PS and XB were neck and neck for sales. For the PS4 to dominate the XBO this generation means that Microsoft did something that the market didn't like or didn't care for, and Sony did something right. I'm taking the stance that it was Microsoft's fumbled reveal of the XBO, marketing it as a DVR first and a gaming console second, plus the (now retracted) unpopular always online requirement and anti-consumer DRM policies. The XBO has picked up in sales a lot recently, because they finally started marketing it competitively with the PS4 instead of trying to carve out this new market space that was already satisfied by other, much cheaper products.

Dropping the expensive peripheral, dropping the price below the PS4, tossing out the unpopular policies, and advertising a strong line up of exclusive games seems to have satisfied the console market, whodathunk.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Samurai_Goroh

I own a Wii U since last year and now I 've got a shiny new Lenovo PC with Steam already rolling on it. So, I'm all set for this generation. Nintendo+ PC master race.

Edited on by Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh

SCRAPPER392

@SpookeyMeths
Okay, so I guess it would be fair to say that Nintendo and Microsoft theoretically messed up, somewhere along the same lines. That still doesn't change that Xbox One is being supported by the same 3rd parties as PS4, with basically the same quality, or that Wii U has had more games than either for a while, which is what choice and variety is all about. Somewhere along the line, people still chose PS4 over the other 2, regardless of what type of marketing or advertising was made.

Just because I see a PS4 commercial more often than an Xbox One commercial, doesn't automatically mean I am going to buy a PS4 over Xbox One. That is why I am saying that the people who are most aware of these products, to begin with, SHOULD have some sort of deeper thought than what I think we've seen so far, and has supposedly turned the tables to PS4's favor.

Xbox One talking about TV support isn't a change of message to people who play and enjoy Xbox, because we already knew there were going to be games.

I can agree with the backlash of "always online", which in turn would change DRM, but TV was hardly an issue. Besides, none of those policies even exist, so them changing their decision still wasn't enough to supposedly change opinions. Things went from, "I'm not buying Xbox One, because of always online and DRM", to, "They tried to do always online and DRM. It's gone now, but still!". That kind of thinking is irrational on all levels, because the fact of the matter is that those potential policies were thrown out, period.

"I'll try scuba diving when I win $1 million!" ...Guy wins $1 million... "I'm still not going to try scuba diving."

That is basically Microsoft changing their policies in a nutshell, when it supposedly mattered.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

nintendork666

Wii U/3DS only - Nintendo makes the games I wanna play.

I'll probably get a PS4 when they're dirt cheap.

nintendork666

3DS Friend Code: 4441-9002-5275 | Nintendo Network ID: Ndork666

Donutman

Wii U, 3ds, PS3, ipad, and PC are all my active gaming devices. My Wii U has over 100 disc games including Wii, as well as over 200 VC/Wiiware/eshop games. 3ds is close to 100 games now, including DS ones. my PS3 is used for the for AAA games I might miss. I logged over 1000 hours of dark souls 1. Last time I used it though was for destiny, which I beat and sold for bayonetta 2. ipad is for hearthstone basically, which I play daily. And my good old PC is mainly for Blizzard games(starcraft 2) and L4D. I have no intention on buying a "next gen" system that I have to play a service fee to use when outside graphics, it has nothing to offer me. And since im a Nintendo gamer at heart, graphics do not matter at all to me period

I will however be buying a VR headset as soon as they become available mainstream. And that might mean a ps4...

Donutman

unrandomsam

I only have a Wii U. (My PC even though it has about 4 * the GPU of the PS4 I don't count as next gen because the thing that is going to make the biggest difference to me is gsync / freesync. I will sort that out in order to play Arkham Knight I think).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

bro2dragons

By the time the next generation comes around (however far away that may be), no, I'm sure the Wii U will not be my console of choice. As is my habit, I'll most likely buy the next Nintendo system and replace my Wii U with it.

If you're actually asking about current generation systems, though, yes, the Wii U is my only home console. I also have a 3DS that doesn't see much use.

“I am a brother to dragons and a companion to owls." Job:30:29

Nintendo Network ID: bro2dragons

Kogorn733

SCAR392 wrote:

@SpookeyMeths
Things went from, "I'm not buying Xbox One, because of always online and DRM", to, "They tried to do always online and DRM. It's gone now, but still!". That kind of thinking is irrational on all levels, because the fact of the matter is that those potential policies were thrown out, period.

It's not irrational. As a consumer, I was furious when Microsoft attempted to "change" the industry in a way that would limit game ownership, mandate always-online DRM, nickel and dime the consumer, and generally favor game publishers far more than the consumers. Microsoft retracted those policies out of commercial necessity due to the backlash they received, but that doesn't change the fact that they wanted to do it, and would probably still prefer that things go in that direction.

If someone punches you in the face, you might forgive them, but you'd always be watching your back the next time you see them and probably wouldn't want much to do with them anymore. That's more or less how I feel about the XBox brand. I will never, ever buy an XBox product, and while I want to see all other consoles, be it PS4, Wii U, Occulus, etc. succeed, the XBox is a brand that I hope will crash and burn.

Kogorn733

Spoony_Tech

Kogorn733 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@SpookeyMeths
Things went from, "I'm not buying Xbox One, because of always online and DRM", to, "They tried to do always online and DRM. It's gone now, but still!". That kind of thinking is irrational on all levels, because the fact of the matter is that those potential policies were thrown out, period.

It's not irrational. As a consumer, I was furious when Microsoft attempted to "change" the industry in a way that would limit game ownership, mandate always-online DRM, nickel and dime the consumer, and generally favor game publishers far more than the consumers. Microsoft retracted those policies out of commercial necessity due to the backlash they received, but that doesn't change the fact that they wanted to do it, and would probably still prefer that things go in that direction.

If someone punches you in the face, you might forgive them, but you'd always be watching your back the next time you see them and probably wouldn't want much to do with them anymore. That's more or less how I feel about the XBox brand. I will never, ever buy an XBox product, and while I want to see all other consoles, be it PS4, Wii U, Occulus, etc. succeed, the XBox is a brand that I hope will crash and burn.

I 2nd this!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ryno

I only own a Wii-U for next gen gaming and it's the only system I need. I know I will miss out on the opportunity to play with the variety of the characters in the pictures below but I'm alright with that.

Untitled

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

SuperWiiU

Kogorn733 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@SpookeyMeths

You should be watching your back because they still want to punch you in the face and they probably will as soon as their userbase on Xbox One is large enough. Once it is they will slowly but surely be clenching and raising their fists with things like more (firstparty)games that have always online DRM(games like NBA 2K and The Crew are already unplayable without online connection even if you game alone on both PS4 and Xbone).

Edited on by SuperWiiU

Spoony_Tech

WaveWarlock wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Kogorn733 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@SpookeyMeths

I 2nd this!

It would be pretty fabtastic, if MS crashed and burned and sega got back into the console race and took their place.

I second this as well!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

ClassicJetterz

I primarily use my Wii U. I also use Steam for anything I can't get on Wii U.

I have a 3DS XL and will be getting the New 3DS XL when it's out.

You're blinded by romance, you're blinded by science...
Your condition is critically grave...but don't expect mercy from such an alliance..
Suspicion of tradition's so new wave!

3DS Friend Code: 5370-0397-4153 | Nintendo Network ID: ClassicJetterz

Dezzy

In the next few months, I'll fit the bill.
I have a 3DS, a Vita and a PC. The PC can kinda play everything from the PS3/Xbox 360 era (except the Witcher 2) but would struggle with new stuff.
Getting a Wii U fairly soon though. Then probably a PS4 about a year later.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

CaviarMeths

Kogorn733 wrote:

Microsoft retracted those policies out of commercial necessity due to the backlash they received, but that doesn't change the fact that they wanted to do it, and would probably still prefer that things go in that direction.

What baffles me the most is why Microsoft ever thought it was a good idea to go with the always online requirement. The stats from last gen were something like 75 million Xbox 360s sold and 25 million Xbox Live Gold subscriptions. Even accounting for people who sold or replacing their 360s, that's tens of millions of customers who weren't online. So many of those weren't just being cheap or not caring for online either. For many, online simply wasn't an option. So by implementing this always online requirement, they were giving the finger to a staggering amount of their installed base. It's no wonder that so many went from the 360 to the PS4, and it's no wonder that the Xbox brand is very unpopular outside of USA and UK.

You read between the lines and someone high up at Microsoft said "We do not care about receiving money from people in developing countries with unstable internet. We do not care about military serving overseas. Our customer is publishers, not gamers." A sentiment like that isn't going to just get swept away when they reverse the policy. I really like Phil Spencer, he's a good guy with his head and heart in the right place, but his bosses, the people he reports to, are still a bunch of anti-consumerist douchenozzles.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

DefHalan

I actually think there were some good features that the Xbox One was going to have with the always Online Requirement but I understand people that couldn't look past it.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

ricklongo

Kogorn733 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@SpookeyMeths

That's pretty much how I feel, too.

The fact that Microsoft tried to implement these DRM shenanigans is enough for us all to realize how the game industry would be if they were to grab the reins as top dog when it comes to consoles. I refuse to contribute to that, and as such I won't spend money on the Xbox brand. I do own a Windows gaming PC, but Microsoft obviously has a lot less say about how gaming works on that platform.

Now let's just hope Rare doesn't start churning out excellent Banjo and Conker games, because that would make this stance much tougher to maintain.

Visit my gaming blog: http://www.gamingsweetgaming.blogspot.com

Listen to my music: https://themoonexpresso.bandcamp.com/

Switch Friend Code: SW-3317-3992-7696 | 3DS Friend Code: 1418-8121-5054 | My Nintendo: ricklongo | Nintendo Network ID: ricardolongo | Twitter:

unrandomsam

I don't mind Microsoft - I want them to do to Sony what Sony did to Sega.

Sony are the worst company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Olliemar28

I own both a Wii U and a PS4. I love my Wii U to bits, and I'm probably playing it more than my PS4 at the moment with the release of Smash Bros, but I'm not missing out on upcoming games like Bloodborne and The Witcher.

Olliemar28

Twitter:

MasterWario

I'm the biggest gamer in my family and I don't really like any of the games on the PS4, so I doubt we'll get it. We do have a PS3 though and there are a few games I enjoying playing on it.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.