Wii U Forum

Topic: Forget the hearsay, let's get down to facts.

Showing 1 to 20 of 23

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Schprocket

1. Posted:

Future titles, non-exclusivity, patronising uber-publishers, tired gaming-hacks and their subservient, mindless troll-parrots.

I've had enough of the BS and I want these jerks to give me facts.

But obviously facts get in the way of simply grabbing as many hits as you can on your crappy gaming web-site (the sponsors are happy and you make money) or having "fun" winding people up who can't reach out and thump them.

So I went to Wikipedia myself to see exactly what state the Wi U is in, right now, compared with the doomsayers' benchmarks the PS3 and the Xbox 360.

Forget the BS about counting the games that are planned for this or that console because 'future titles' are effectively vapourware until they are actually released.

What matters is what is tangible, so on that track I went to see how the Wii U's current crop fares against the 360 and PS3 in terms of numbers, since that's what the doombringers want, in the equivalent time since launch.

I initially thought that at the PS3 had the least releases at three month post launch but it would seem that I was wrong.

These numbers tallys cover all regions, and as with the Wii U, not all regions are released simultaneously.

Xbox360 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_games From 1/11/2005 to 28/02/2006 - 21 games, 7 exclusives

Playstation 3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games From 11/11/2006 to 28/02/2007 - 29 games, 14 exclusives (half not available in Europe)

Wii U http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games From 30/11/2012 to 28/02/2013 (note the window is shorter by 4 weeks) - 31 games, 10 exclusives

From this I can postulate that:

1. The reason why the Xbox kept blowing the PS3 away initially was that it had a full 12 months to develop ahead of the PS3 - and that it shared DirectX libraries with its PC Windows OS cousin so ports were relatively simple. This often irked me as a launch-release PS3 owner but now I understand a lot better. At seven years old the 360 has no excuse for not having a huge catalogue of games. However it's longevity is a testament to it's design, 20% RROD failures aside. According to the MS web-site, the 360 is backward-compatible with over 400 Xbox titles, with some caveats. However, you can't play online unless you pay.

2. In spite of 1, the PS3 had more games available over effectively the same period as the 360. However the number of games tapers off dramatically by the end of that time period 17 in November. 9 in December, and the remainder were spread across January and February. The trophy system didn't start on this platform until August 2008 - nearly two years post launch. Various regions had different approaches taken for backwards compatibility for PS2, and had PS1 (over WifFi to PSP as a bonus) plus Linux support, then lost Linux support ( GeoHot - you're a knob! ) , then with the next model lost PS2 compatibility so the PS2 could compete on the Wii's terms, and now with rev 3, we see the return of PS2 compatibility.
I'm not going to bother looking for the numbers in terms of backwards compatibility because it is dependent on which version you have but since this is about launch-consoles, I'd be happy to edit in the figure for each of the PS1 and PS2 (to November 11 2006) releases here.
Oh, forgot to mention - free online play from outset, with a premium service introduced three years after launch and trophies - for the bro-dudes - two years after launch.

3. For the so-called Nintendo "fans" bemoaning that this or that one single game that they want isn't available, pull your heads in, shut up, and wait... or buy another console if you don't already own one.
Of those 29 PS3 games which typically checked-out Au$100 a pop from my wallet - not like Au$69 to Au$89 for Wii U - the majority were, as my Pommy cousins might say, "PANTS!" or they simply did not interest me.
In my case, the Wii U experience to date with games that interest ME and the quality of said games is significantly better overall than the PS3 games I bought over the same time period.
So, mileage varies with personal preference as well
What I'm saying is that because the one game you want isn't available doesn't mean a platform is doomed.
It simply means that you are a choosy bastard - as it is your right to be - and nothing more. Nobody 'owes' you anything, personally.

4. Console cost. Touchy subject because everybody's financial situation is different. That said, when you look breakdown the component price of the deluxe Wii U (aroundAu$430) after subtracting the Au$79.00 for NintendoLand it, for what the Wii U is capable of it is on par with if not better than the 360 and PS3 (which at this stage of life should be costing Au$20 or less to make in volume - not a bad profit, is it?).

There's probably more but this is enough of a vent for now, other than to say that I'm really disappointed in internet gaming journalism at this point in time - NL team excepted.
There has not been - to the best of my knowledge - any attempt by anyone with better access to facts than me to counter the misinformation being generated against the Wii U.

If you want to experience a huge back catalogue of games you could never hope to play in a lifetime in an online community with a large percentage of twerps who should really get outside more often, then go for it.
Your choice, I'm not stopping or belittling you.

If you have information about what makes the Wii U sub-par with facts that actually mean something then I'm ready to read, not that it'll change my mind but I'll be more informed.

However, if you are of the persuasion to snipe negatively without substance in every Wii U thread in this forum because the reaction amuses your tiny mind, then you will be reported.

Edited on by Schprocket

NOW'S THE TIME ON SPROCKETS WHEN Wii U DANCE!!!

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1852-6021 | Nintendo Network ID: Schprocket

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

2. Posted:

Untitled

Edited on by MAB

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

3. Posted:

Prepare to meet some mindless troll-parrots. They'll be arriving shortly no doubt.

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

4. Posted:

I don't think this was worth the hour it took to type.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Schprocket

5. Posted:

If there's anything wrong I'll be happy to be corrected, @Geonjaha.

But if I've hurt a troll's feelings because I'm spoiling their idea of fun then that's a little more than hypocritical, I think ;)

@ChronoCross, the master of the witty, biting, repartee; what, with no argument?
That's an opinion that's almost as bad as trolling. Very disappointing response from such a highly educated individual... or am I just missing the clever bit?

Edited on by Schprocket

NOW'S THE TIME ON SPROCKETS WHEN Wii U DANCE!!!

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1852-6021 | Nintendo Network ID: Schprocket

AuthorMessage
Avatar

cornishlee

6. Posted:

The voice of reason? Don't expect it to work!

One question: what's a "bro-dude"?

Please sign the petition to get Hitman on the Wii U: https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/square-enix-ltd-release-hitman-absolution-and-hitman-hd-trilogy-on-the-wii-u

Nintendo Network ID: cornishlee

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Schprocket

7. Posted:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=brodude ;)

NOW'S THE TIME ON SPROCKETS WHEN Wii U DANCE!!!

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1852-6021 | Nintendo Network ID: Schprocket

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

8. Posted:

cornishlee wrote:

The voice of reason? Don't expect it to work!

One question: what's a "bro-dude"?

Untitled

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sean_Aaron

9. Posted:

Absolutely spot-on. Saying that a system which has clearly had dev kits available for less time than would be necessary for many games coming in the next quarter to be released for it at the same time as other platforms (unless the publisher was blindly going to take a gamble, which from the sequelitis that has seemingly put a permanent stranglehold on the industry was never going to happen anyway) is nonsense.

Nintendo does have an uphill climb winning support from 3rd parties; there was no way they would ever be able to achieve parity at launch. The fact that we have as many ports of recent titles as we do right now is pretty impressive, but there's no guarantee that will change. So, if your system-seller isn't coming to the Wii U and you just can't wait, buy another machine and shut the hell up; stop filling this board with threads about "why isn't game X coming to Wii U?" "Let's petition publisher Y to bring game X to Wii U!"

I notice that people who are most active in threads about what's wrong with the system seem to have very little to say in threads about games that are actually coming out for the system. Almost as if they have no real interest in the platform at all. Hmmmm....

BLOG, mail: sean@seanswiiworld.co.uk
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Drawdler

10. Posted:

I, for one, welcome our new @Shprocket overlord
Thank you. It was great to see something written down that wasn't purely "NINTENDOOOOOOMED" or blind fanbratism.
I've been playing my Wii U tons since launch and I don't have many problems with it. Does it have them? Yes. Does pretty much every console at launch? Yes! People can't expect launch consoles to have tons of games and be completely bug-free. They can't delay consoles too long, after all, because people will get bored with them and move onto other ones.
Nintendo is my favorite company. I've owned and been playing my Wii U for months and I love it. I picked it up at launch. And I do want a PS4 and 720 when they come out, but I know that they will have problems and lack in library at the beginning just like the Wii U does and as almost every system has had. So I'll just wait for them to be resolved instead of going up in arms about it. People are far too impatient these days.

Edited on by Drawdler

"In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | (Currently Inactive) Backloggery | Disney Infinity Fans | Ghostroaster | Nintendo Friends

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

AuthorMessage
Avatar

k8sMum

11. Posted:

not a bad read, not bad thoughts. it would have been better without the passive/aggressive nonsense. imho, of course.

'Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt' Tolkien
'God is a kid with an antfarm.' "Constantine"
3ds friend code: 0860 3849 6133
Caitlin's Memorial Site

AuthorMessage
Avatar

The_Fox

12. Posted:

If you're going to let the internet get to you this much you're going to have a massive aneurysm a few months down the road.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

13. Posted:

I'm torn on whether this thread deserves it or not but I will anyway

Untitled

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!: https://www.youtube.com/user/SliderGamer55/videos

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Amigaengine

14. Posted:

The only websites I follow is NL and Games Radar. The rest are just sites begging for clicks and flame wars.

Twitter: AmigaEngine

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

15. Posted:

That was excellent. You're going to irk some people who survive off of substantially skewed hate, though.

I also don't understand people complaining about the lack of games on the Wii U. The Wii U has exclusives that you CAN'T play anywhere else: NSMBU, ZombiU, Nintendoland, Rabbids Land (admittedly not an awesome game unless you have young ones at home). That's four games, or roughly $200 worth of titles that you CAN NOT play on any other system, and that's only the exlusives out right now. The Wii U has the third party titles, the "dude bro" titles, that everyone has been clamoring for: Mass Effect 3, Black Ops 2, Assassin's Creed 3, Darksiders 2, Batman: Arkham City, Tekken, Ninja Gaiden- (did I get them all?) many of which have all the added DLC/extra content included for free. From that list, I count at least two (CoD and Assassin's Creed) that were released on the Wii U pretty much alongside the other consoles, maybe off by a week or two; the argument that "I've played this before so those games don't count" is ludicrous if you knew you were getting a Wii U- and let's face it, not many of us decide spur of the moment to buy a $350 console. You dug your own hole on that one, people, if you couldn't wait 2 weeks for some of those games.

Not even counting the awesome eShop games like Trine, Switch Force, Nano Assault, The Cave, Little Inferno... nearly every genre has been covered! I'm not big on sports games, so I'm not sure there, but I do believe the Wii U currently has a Fifa game, right?

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

16. Posted:

Did you count XBLA/PSN/_Eshop in your exclusive count?

The problem is that people won't compare the Wii U launch to other console launches but to what they are doing today. The Wii U launch wasn't bad per say but its missing a lot of games that are on other systems so it gives a bad perception.

You also have to remebewr o. That same point the Wii U isn't getting multiplatform games either which the other systems did. In the Lind run I don't care if the game is exclusive or not as long as I have something to play. The problem is that a lot of the Wii U's initial library was made up of late ports of games people already had played. While the 360/PS3 were ports that were the better version of the game in most cases ands came out alongside the other versions as well.

As a console owner I can't see how one can be excited for a port of Need for Speed and Spiderman.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

17. Posted:

SOrry you lost me when you said you went to Wikipedia. If you had other sources other than Wikipedia you might have a point but the fact that anyone can write what they want on Wikipedia that doesn't give your argument credit.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

18. Posted:

TheGodzillaFan wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

SOrry you lost me when you said you went to Wikipedia. If you had other sources other than Wikipedia you might have a point but the fact that anyone can write what they want on Wikipedia that doesn't give your argument credit.

You do know that Wikipedia heavily watches every article now, and generally when something is posted or updated you have to give a link to the source where you got the information or its removed fairly quick right? Also the source is checked to make sure its accurate information, wiki has come a long way. It's not 2006 anymore.

If that was the case than schools, media outlets and others would use Wikipedia more often but Wikipedia is not a creditable source.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Knux

19. Posted:

Schprocket wrote:

So I went to Wikipedia...

I stopped reading after this.

supersonic1990z@hushmail.com Twitter Wii FC: 4579-0293-6760-7162 [10:25] DarkwingLz: D**mit Knux, tell Sony to release Vita TV here >:[

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4499-6603 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux1990 | Twitter: Knux1990

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

20. Posted:

TheGodzillaFan wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

TheGodzillaFan wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

SOrry you lost me when you said you went to Wikipedia. If you had other sources other than Wikipedia you might have a point but the fact that anyone can write what they want on Wikipedia that doesn't give your argument credit.

You do know that Wikipedia heavily watches every article now, and generally when something is posted or updated you have to give a link to the source where you got the information or its removed fairly quick right? Also the source is checked to make sure its accurate information, wiki has come a long way. It's not 2006 anymore.

If that was the case than schools, media outlets and others would use Wikipedia more often but Wikipedia is not a creditable source.

When did schools stop using Wikipedia? Then again I'll let the person who posted this thread defend that choice. Wasn't mine.

Well I am going to college for computer science and it is in the school rules that students can't use Wikipedia for reports, papers etc. Also a friend of mine went to a tech school for pharmacy tech and they had the same rule. Several of my co-workers who go to different schools say that they also have that rule. The main reason behind that Wikipedia is not a creditable source.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Sorry, this topic has been locked.