Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - OT

Posts 101 to 120 of 1,203

DudeSean

I really want to be able to play as Diddy or Dixie without Donkey. I was very disappointed that the only way I could play as Diddy in DKCR was to con someone else into playing as DK. You didn't have to do that with the snes games, and those are getting close to two decades old.

I could see Retro throwing K. Rool in at the end, wearing some sort of viking helmet to fit in with the theme. He always dressed up at the end of DKC 1, 2 and 3. And it would answer fans' demand for K. Rool to return. Then it might feel like the ending of Starfox Adventures, though...

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

GamecubeMan

According to the GameExplain guy, the blow mechinic is gone. Like he also said, it kind of slowed the pase down.

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

Jey887

Good stuff. The blow and the waggle needed to go... That sounds wrong...

Jey887

CM30

Definitely a good idea. Blowing on things was a kind of pointless, annoying mechanic in Returns (and they forced you to slow down and use it on every single flower to find arbitarily hidden puzzle pieces), and it's great to see it won't be in Tropical Freeze.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

WebHead

Honestly, a new DKC coming out this year makes the DKCR 3DS port make more sense. Give Wii U owners a brand new DKC while 3DS owners get an enhanced port.

Nintendo seems to like double-dosing nowadays

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

RR529

Also, according to the Gamexplain guy, barrels will now be marked with the letters of the character in them, instead of all of them saying "DK".

Donkey Kong - red "DK"
Diddy Kong - blue "DD"
Trixie Kong - pink "TX"

EDIT: it's also likely the game will have 2 difficulty modes, like the 3DS port of Returns. The trailer shown during the direct featured 3 hearts each for DK & Diddy (like the 3DS "New Mode"), while the E3 demo gave them 2 hearts each (like the original).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Snagrio

RR529 wrote:

Also, according to the Gamexplain guy, barrels will now be marked with the letters of the character in them, instead of all of them saying "DK".

Donkey Kong - red "DK"
Diddy Kong - blue "DD"
Trixy Kong - pink "TX"

EDIT: it's also likely the game will have 2 difficulty modes, like the 3DS port of Returns. The trailer shown during the direct featured 3 hearts each for DK & Diddy (like the 3DS "New Mode"), while the E3 demo gave them 2 hearts each (like the original).

Who the heck is "Trixy" Kong?

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

dumedum

I do not understand the negative reactions to this announcement. DKCR is a game that received rave reviews. Nintendo Life gave it a rare 10/10 and said:

Donkey Kong Country Returns is almost the perfect continuation of the series in many ways.

It should be obvious in the world of videogames, and since the original was a trilogy, that DKCR will also prompt a trilogy, or sequels. And why not ? Who wouldn't want a sequel to a perfect game, but in HD, with new 3D angles, with new levels, bosses, enemies, characters? With all that?

Either the reviewers didn't really that like DKCR in the first place, or they don't like sequels in general, or they completely changed their minds in the course of 3 years. It doesn't make sense otherwise. Why would a new IP/Metroid Prime by Retro be better than a sequel to one of the best reviewed Wii games of all times?

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

shingi_70

Its not hard to see why people didn;t like the announcement

-Retro is Nintendo's big studio and people were expecting a big project them for them similar to X.
-The WIi U doesn't need more 2D platformers.
-Nintendo's first party lineup is lacking diversity something retro could have bought.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

dumedum

But the Wii did not need more 2D platformers either (and how many exactly are there for the Wii U? There is Legends which is not out and NSMB U and that's it as far as I know), everybody appeared to think that DKCR was huge, and essentially, everyone was happy with it.

It just does not make sense. It makes sense only if in retrospect .. people actually didn't even like DKCR. It only makes sense to be disappointed if the first was disappointing. Otherwise it's only the first sequel to a very successful game. It's like people would be upset with SMG2 or Uncharted II or Mass Effect 2. Only a minority was, because they liked the first so much.

Edited on by dumedum

shingi_70

People liked DCKR but people were expecting more coming from retro something more in line with Metroid Prime being this big technical showcase. I was expecting something on Par with X from Monolith Soft. I like Donkey Kong Country but I don't want another 2D platformer. If this was a 3D platformer like 64 than I would have been all for it.

Also your other examples don't apply when all the games you just said are made by mutiple team studios and we know that despite hiring Retro is still a single team place.

Naughty Dog
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3 (made by the uncharted 1 team)
The Last of US (made by the uncharted 2 team.

The Vita uncharted game was also made by Bend who is rumored to be maybe working on Uncharted 4 while both Naughty Dog teams go onto to make New IP.

Bioware has at least four or five teams.

Mass Effect Team
Dragon Age Team
KOTOR team
Command and Conquer team

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

kkslider5552000

DKC:TF suffers from Retro not being a larger studio for no actual good reason in the same way that Super Mario 3D World suffers from Nintendo refusing to make a Mario game that isn't obsessed with being just like the old Mario games. Though unlike 3D World, DKC:TF is a sequel to such a fantastic title that I was hoping would get a sequel and I am still actually interested in paying money for.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CM30

Personally, I'd like to say one thing to anyone who complains...

Shut up. Seriously. We've had enough Metroid for a while, we don't need Retro to work on any more games for a few years. Donkey Kong is literally one of the Nintendo's biggest ever franchises (on par with Zelda to a degree, especially sales wise), and a sequel to Returns is one of the best moves Nintendo and Retro have made. After all, why call it Returns if there wasn't going to be a new Donkey Kong Country game for about three or four years? The SNES trilogy all came out in about a few years of each other...

Donkey Kong Country has truly Returned, and I'm glad Retro and Nintendo made the decision to make a new game rather than give in to 'fan' demand.

Goes off to DK Vine, when people are at least happy about the game

Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!

Twitter:

CM30

Dev wrote:

CM30 wrote:

The SNES trilogy all came out in about a few years of each other...]

They didn't even come out a few years of each other; it was every other year. 1994 was the first Donkey Kong Country, 1995 was the second one, and 1996 was the third one, and people didn't seem to complain. There were even the very similar Donkey Kong Land games in that same amount of time too! Donkey Kong practically dominated the 90's.

I believe Tropical Freeze will be even better than Returns, and that's saying something.

That's very true. And it's why I honestly hope that Returns and Tropical Freeze turn out to be part of a second Donkey Kong Country trilogy. Come on, wouldn't that be awesome? Maybe the third one can even tie the Kremlings, Tikis and Vikings together somehow and provide another satisfying conclusion.

Twitter:

kkslider5552000

If this has some of the DKC2 soundtrack, the game wins by default. Assuming it hasn't already.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

WebHead

That screenshot is so beautiful.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

dumedum

Sony_70 wrote:

Also your other examples don't apply when all the games you just said are made by mutiple team studios and we know that despite hiring Retro is still a single team place.

I don't see how the number of teams working on a game makes a difference. You're saying that because they're smaller they will create less games and therefore it's a missed opportunity? Maybe the criticism is indeed more about Retro than the DK. People want Retro to make new magic, and sequels to be made by another developer.

Edited on by dumedum

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.