Wii U Forum

Topic: can you play normal dvds on a wii u

Showing 61 to 80 of 102

AuthorMessage
Avatar

_Error

61. Posted:

You're geniuses guys! I wanted the WiiU playing Blu-rays but I've read the whole thread and now I prefer to spend more money buying a BR player and having more and more cables and stuff in the living room!

_Error

Twitter: migpalomo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

62. Posted:

The way I look at it if you really want it to play Blu-Rays you probably have a collection of Blu-Rays to play. It only makes sense. If you have a collection of Blu-Rays which you likely have if you care about this feature then why don't you have a Blu-Ray player already? What, you've been collecting them for their nice boxes?

Oh and diddums, you don't want to run an extra single HDMI cable to your TV and single power cable to your wall? Wow, how hard that must be. You should have tried using AV gear about ten years ago. You'd need a VCR to record stuffs because DVD recording was ridiculous but maybe you had a Digital set-top box for digital TV but not recording from. Then you would want a DVD player to play DVDs. Then you'd plug in your console. Oh and all of those things would use three to five analogue cables rather than a single HDMI cable. THAT'S cable spaghetti. These days you can do all of that with a TV, All in one and Console. Two HDMI cables, that's it. And not that pricey either especially compared to what was around ten years ago.

And don't get me started on surround sound. They even make wireless rear speakers now, whoda thunk ey?

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

_Error

63. Posted:

skywake wrote:

The way I look at it if you really want it to play Blu-Rays you probably have a collection of Blu-Rays to play. It only makes sense. If you have a collection of Blu-Rays which you likely have if you care about this feature then why don't you have a Blu-Ray player already? What, you've been collecting them for their nice boxes?

Oh and diddums, you don't want to run an extra single HDMI cable to your TV and single power cable to your wall? Wow, how hard that must be. You should have tried using AV gear about ten years ago. You'd need a VCR to record stuffs because DVD recording was ridiculous but maybe you had a Digital set-top box for digital TV but not recording from. Then you would want a DVD player to play DVDs. Then you'd plug in your console. Oh and all of those things would use three to five analogue cables rather than a single HDMI cable. THAT'S cable spaghetti. These days you can do all of that with a TV, All in one and Console. Two HDMI cables, that's it. And not that pricey either especially compared to what was around ten years ago.

And don't get me started on surround sound. They even make wireless rear speakers now, whoda thunk ey?

You should apply for a job in Nintendo! :P

_Error

Twitter: migpalomo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

64. Posted:

I don't mind how Nintendo does stuff. I have a PS3, and there's lots of ways to watch videos, even without bluray/DVD.

It's the same way about 5.1 PCM surround sound. I have a receiver that supports it, and it sounds better than compressed formats like Dolby or DTS. They have "lossless" versions of those codecs, but PCM ultimately rules it all, unless you're receiver is 3 or more years old(most likely).
EDIT: I brought this up, because it's a complaint that I would consider in the same area.

Like @skywake said, there's basically no way to complain, because everyone has a DVD/bluray player already, and lots of discs to play on it(you don't have DVDs/blurays without a playback machine). The Wii U isn't marketed as a DVD or bluray player, so no one should be expecting it to be that. It has its own native disc fornat, for games.

You can't expect Nintendo to have DVD/bluray playback, just because Microsoft and Sony do. They already have connections in that area of business. Nintendo doesn't have connections in that area of business, besides their own proprietary format(Panasonic, which owns part of bluray).

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jaz007

65. Posted:

@Skywake What if you want Wii U to support Blu-Ray so you can start a collection? If you don't have Playstation it's entirely possible. DVDs? Good chance you already have a player for that, but Blu-Rays? Quite possible you don't. I know when I move out and start things up on my own, my Playstations will be serving as Blu-Ray (and DVD) players. Also, someone starting out in life might have enough money for a Wii U, but not a Blu-Ray player in addition. I personally don't care, but I can see why others would.

Currently playing: Rune Factory 4, Batman: Arkham Origins (new game plus), Valkria Chronicles, and Uncharted 2.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

66. Posted:

There hasn't been any movies in the last decade worth dropping coin on anyway ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

banacheck

67. Posted:

The more pointless crap that's added on to the Wii U, the more expensive...

So Nintendo sticks a good £100 + tablet onto the console, wanting to keep the console cost effective.

Edited on by banacheck

banacheck

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

68. Posted:

Yeah, I'm probably over-reacting a bit here. I just think its kinda ridiculous that people are making this complaint now when Blu-Ray players are pretty damn cheap compared to other necessary components. If you own a Wii U you've already spent at least $350AU and you probably spent another $150AU getting a few games for it. Odds are that you then also got extra controllers for it whether it be Wii Mote or Pro Controller for another $65-70AU. Then you want to build up a collection of Blu-Rays at $20AU a pop.

.... and an $80AU Blu-Ray player is an extravagance? Seriously if people want it and they're already into tech enough to have a Wii U they should learn to budget. I would have had sympathy back when Blu-Ray players did cost more than the console did, back when the Wii launched for example. When the $600AU PS3 seemed like an ok deal because Blu-Ray players were a good $500+. Now? Absolutely none.

If you want to playback Blu-Ray disks buy a Blu-Ray player. It could do it but it doesn't do it so quit complaining and get over it. They're not that pricey anymore.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

banacheck

69. Posted:

Disks for media especially movies died a long time ago.

Yes Blu-Ray & Music CD's died off that long ago that most places have forgot that there are still selling them, and the next Blu-Ray format which is coming out 2015/16 died off how long ago? and what year are we in again 2020.

banacheck

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

70. Posted:

MAB wrote:

There hasn't been any movies in the last decade worth dropping coin on anyway ;)

Tis true'
Foreign horror has gotten some gems however, check out 'inside' 2nd most disturbing movie i've ever seen aside from Martyrs which was just...well, lets just say it left a dent in my psyche for a good week. lol Oh, and pixar's UP was pretty awesome. That's about it. ;)

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

71. Posted:

MAB wrote:

There hasn't been any movies in the last decade worth dropping coin on anyway ;)

Three things prove you wrong:

  • Quentin Tarantino
  • Christopher Nolan
  • Pixar

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Beetlejuice

72. Posted:

banacheck wrote:

Disks for media especially movies died a long time ago.

Yes Blu-Ray & Music CD's died off that long ago that most places have forgot that there are still selling them, and the next Blu-Ray format which is coming out 2015/16 died off how long ago? and what year are we in again 2020.

Aside from better picture quality, sound quality, special features and commentary tracks, bluray disks have no advantage over Netflix.

Beetlejuice

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

73. Posted:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

banacheck wrote:

Disks for media especially movies died a long time ago.

Yes Blu-Ray & Music CD's died off that long ago that most places have forgot that there are still selling them, and the next Blu-Ray format which is coming out 2015/16 died off how long ago? and what year are we in again 2020.

Aside from better picture quality, sound quality, special features and commentary tracks, bluray disks have no advantage over Netflix.

Totally agree. I still buy Blu rays for those reasons alone especially on movies that I like (any of the Marvel movies for example). The only time I watch a movie on Netflix is if I am on the fence with that particular title and don't want to spend the $20+ bucks on a blu ray and end up with a bad movie, seen the movie and don't own it yet (like Captain America) or am just to lazy to get up and pull out my copy of the movie.

I will add though that if I saw a movie on Netflix for the first time and really enjoy it I will pick it up on Blu ray for the extras especially if they have deleted scenes.

Also I tend to watch more TV shows on Netflix for most of the reasons above. The main reason though is I dont have all that money to shell out for season after season of a particular show and in the end that would cost me alot since they are alot of shows on my list. :D

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ACK

74. Posted:

MAB wrote:

There hasn't been any movies in the last decade worth dropping coin on anyway ;)

This is the truth, no doubt. I honestly can't think of a single movie I really like that was released since 2003... There have been some BluRay re-releases though. Those are pretty shwiz.

ACK

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ACK

75. Posted:

michaeldove wrote:

You're geniuses guys! I wanted the WiiU playing Blu-rays but I've read the whole thread and now I prefer to spend more money buying a BR player and having more and more cables and stuff in the living room!

Uh, what?

ACK

AuthorMessage
Avatar

_Error

76. Posted:

ACK wrote:

michaeldove wrote:

You're geniuses guys! I wanted the WiiU playing Blu-rays but I've read the whole thread and now I prefer to spend more money buying a BR player and having more and more cables and stuff in the living room!

Uh, what?

I was kidding mate. For me it's better to have one box that could play everything and that's all. I prefer WiiU instead of XBO or PS4 and the reason is: games. Although is right everyone that buy a WiiU can afford a BR player, I think Nintendo should catch with the times and see that its rivals offer this option since the year 2000. And if this is a game-machine, why are they offering TVii?

_Error

Twitter: migpalomo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rockodoodle

77. Posted:

I agree with MAB.... Only titles I might consider for Blue Ray would be Lord of the Rings.....Can't think of much else that I'd like to be honest- not that I'd need a physical copy for and that it would really matter to see in Blu Ray resolution.....

skywake wrote:

MAB wrote:

There hasn't been any movies in the last decade worth dropping coin on anyway ;)

Three things prove you wrong:

  • Quentin Tarantino
  • Christopher Nolan
  • Pixar

rockodoodle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SofaKing

78. Posted:

Digital format only works as good or better then hard format when that digital format is downloaded to a disk drive. This is the case for digital downloads of video games. It gives you faster load times and better rendering. With movies, while streaming, the latency that comes with it can cause an issue with picture quality. If the buffering is bad then the picture quality suffers. If the ping is to high the picture quality suffers. Internet streaming is not up to standards with hard formats like blue ray and dvds. With that said, Nintendo has been and will always be a "gaming first" console. They know that that majority of the people have some type of media player already. This Media player is more then likely already plugged into your TV so the complaint about extra wires is irrelevant. If your buying a gaming system like the Wii U then your already going to be adding more lines to your TV regardless. The one thing I don't understand though is why Nintendo wouldn't allow music CD playback. They gave us the option for movie media with netflix and hulu and amazon but no ablility for music like pandora or slacker even. Thats my only complaint. Though a small complaint because like with my movies, I have other ways to play my music which is perfectly fine with me.

Edited on by SofaKing

Nintendo Network ID: Mitsudude

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

79. Posted:

To be fair though the quality of Apple's movies is decent enough, it's just the DRM that makes it a bad option. You can get around it but it's about as much of a hastle as ripping a movie anyways so what's the point? You just want to get the movie and play it without having to jump through hoops. Anyways their movies hover just under 10Mbps for 1080p and if you stream that over a network then you get the same quality as long as your bandwidth hovers above around 10Mbps. Which in itself says something when Netflix says it requires only 1.5Mbps and only uses 3.8Mbps max. If I can I watch youtube videos that basically max out my 9Mbps connection then 3.8Mbps is hardly "HD". Then they have just announced 4K which is running at 15Mbps. Hey, that's better compression but if it was actually 4K it would be chewing up something closer to 40Mbps.

Until someone offers a decently priced service that runs 1080p content at 10Mbps and 4K content at 40Mbps and there's the infrastructure here to run at those speeds. Or if someone starts selling movies at the same quality as Apple or better but without the DRM and at a price that's at or below retail. While neither of those things are true disks will remain my media of choice.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

80. Posted:

All I know is that I lived outside the U.S., and where I come from, if someone bought a CD (there are no stores selling them anymore, all closed) or if someone bought a DVD (again, hard time doing that without Amazon) people would think he was insane. They did not even hear of bluray. Now, this is a relatively western country, and yes, everybody pirate, so it's different cultures to U.S, and I guess Australia, and perhaps other places in Europe too. The world is a big place.

I think the reason for the prediction that physical media will die is that the mass people do not care about the differences in quality, or commentary or buying things for collection. They will buy just 1 song out of the CD and pay 99 cents. That's why there is a difference in revenue. Very niche people buy lots of movies, and know what resolution it is and what is going on with it. Most don't care. So the revenues comparison is probably off. You should check the number of users on netflix and the number of people buying physical. If the trend is obvious, the digital side will crush that minority. There are stores selling vinyl records, so it will always exist, but not on a wide commercial level.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba