Wii U Forum

Topic: can you play normal dvds on a wii u

Showing 81 to 100 of 102

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mitsuko_Chan

81. Posted:

Only through hacking, i'm afraid.

あなたは素晴らしいです。あなたと誰混乱させてはいけない。
YouTube Channel | Miiverse | deviantART | Hatena

3DS Friend Code: 2809-8065-2098 | Nintendo Network ID: MarioOtaku350

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

82. Posted:

dumedum wrote:

I think the reason for the prediction that physical media will die is that the mass people do not care about the differences in quality, or commentary or buying things for collection. They will buy just 1 song out of the CD and pay 99 cents. That's why there is a difference in revenue. Very niche people buy lots of movies, and know what resolution it is and what is going on with it. Most don't care. So the revenues comparison is probably off. You should check the number of users on netflix and the number of people buying physical. If the trend is obvious, the digital side will crush that minority. There are stores selling vinyl records, so it will always exist, but not on a wide commercial level.

If you applied that logic to gaming you'd come to the conclusion that big AAA titles were dead. Because despite things like CoD and Mario taking the majority of the revenue there are a lot more people playing Candy Crush, Angry Birds and Scrabble. This is of course ridiculous. The market for casual consumers is important and will always exist but companies and artist will always cater for the market with the most revenue potential. Why would you stop producing content for a medium that has a large chunk or even the vast majority of the revenue?

The fact is with movies and music on disks I can do with it what I want. If down the road I decide I want to have all of my music in FLAC rather than 320kbps MP3 then I can rip my collection again. If I had downloaded it off iTunes I'd be stuck with the 256kbps AAC if I didn't want to drop the quality. At least now their music isn't locked to iPods. Their movies still are however. What if I want to play it on something else? Netflix, cool. What if I want to take it on holiday with me, play it on a plane or play it in the backseat of a car? While those issues remain unsolved I don't see physical media dying anytime soon. With games those problems do not exist. That's the difference.

oh and FYI some of the movies I've gotten on Blu-Ray recently have done something pretty interesting. They've had the Blu-Ray and then they've thrown in a DVD also for backwards compatibility. That's nice, DVDs play on more stuffs and are easier to rip. Then some go further and also give you a code that you can throw into iTunes and download a copy. Even more recently it has been for the 1080p version. So why would I not get the disk version when that's sometimes happening?

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ghosto

83. Posted:

Digital is the worst way to go, the entertainment industry has your money and can steal your entire library with the push of a button. They already own the courts so you'd be better off writing to Santa Claus for a refund. DRM is legalized theft but when you own a physical copy if they want to claw that back they'll be up against locked doors, guard dogs, machetes and firearms so you have quite a fair amount of leverage in your favor to enforce your basic human rights.

ghosto

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

84. Posted:

ghosto wrote:

Digital is the worst way to go, the entertainment industry has your money and can steal your entire library with the push of a button. They already own the courts so you'd be better off writing to Santa Claus for a refund. DRM is legalized theft but when you own a physical copy if they want to claw that back they'll be up against locked doors, guard dogs, machetes and firearms so you have quite a fair amount of leverage in your favor to enforce your basic human rights.

Wow... You really have no clue.

The only way they can strip your purchases from you, is if you do something illegal with your purchases, like pirating. You have bigger things to worry about, if they strip your console of the downloaded content you bought., assuming you crossed the line where it is allowed, by law.

They can not, will not, and are not allowed to take your purchases, unless you did something illegal in the first place.

EDIT: In a worse case scenario, the business you bought digital goods from, doesn't exist anymore. You'd be restricted to what you currently have in your memory, on the device.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

85. Posted:

skywake wrote:

The fact is with movies and music on disks I can do with it what I want. If down the road I decide I want to have all of my music in FLAC rather than 320kbps MP3 then I can rip my collection again. If I had downloaded it off iTunes I'd be stuck with the 256kbps AAC if I didn't want to drop the quality. At least now their music isn't locked to iPods. Their movies still are however. What if I want to play it on something else? Netflix, cool. ?

Again, this mentality to me sounds weird. I am talking about millions of people who would never buy anything, and have nothing to do with netflix, because there is no netflix in their country and they wouldn't pay for it even if they had. They download torrents, in whatever quality they want, and do with it whatever they like all night every night. There is nothing stuck - they have the best files on their harddrives, on their usb sticks, on their phones, on whatever format they want. That's reality. When you look in at the number of people going netflix, and it is a trend - and yes, it is a trend for gaming too, just slower, also take into the consideration the billions that are downloading for free, and you'd realize why the future for physical is dead.

So feel free to go against the conventional wisdom, like you said.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pirating+netflix+ruins+physic...

I am all for the physical to succeed. But the trend is on the decline and one day it will evaporate completely. I know it evaporated for me and for whole markets already.

SCAR392 wrote:

ghosto wrote:

Digital is the worst way to go, the entertainment industry has your money and can steal your entire library with the push of a button. They already own the courts so you'd be better off writing to Santa Claus for a refund. DRM is legalized theft but when you own a physical copy if they want to claw that back they'll be up against locked doors, guard dogs, machetes and firearms so you have quite a fair amount of leverage in your favor to enforce your basic human rights.

Wow... You really have no clue.

The only way they can strip your purchases from you, is if you do something illegal with your purchases, like pirating. You have bigger things to worry about, if they strip your console of the downloaded content you bought., assuming you crossed the line where it is allowed, by law.

They can not, will not, and are not allowed to take your purchases, unless you did something illegal in the first place.

EDIT: In a worse case scenario, the business you bought digital goods from, doesn't exist anymore. You'd be restricted to what you currently have in your memory, on the device.

Well, there was that controversy of Amazon pulling books that you already downloaded out of your device. But for the masses it doesn't matter. They pirate.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

86. Posted:

@dumedum
Valid point. When I had an iPad 2, one of my apps disappeared on the the app screen. It turns out that the app creator was using copyrighted material without permission.

However, that doesn't happen as long as the storefront pays attention. Google and Apple wouldn't have such trash on their stores, if there was some sort of quality control. The Pokemon and Mario ripoffs are Nintendo's problem, even though Google and Apple shouldn't be allowing that to happen.

Content that isn't allowed on app stores, shouldn'tbe available to begin with, and that's the main problem with people losing content. The consumer buys an app that they think is worth $5, but if the publisher is found out to be a fake and their content is taken down, they run off with your money.

Nintendo won't, and hasn't allowed that to happen.

EDIT: For the record, I ened up selling/partially trading my iPad for money/a giftcard, and bought a 3DS. All I was using my iPad for was gaming, so 3DS ended up being a better fit.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

87. Posted:

@dumedum
Way to ignore 3/4 of my post so you could make an anecdotal observation and point to a google search that came up with four year old articles about the demise of DVD. Obviously everyone is pirating so the market will shrink 'till it's just netflix. Right? Because obviously that statistic I found that showed more revenue in physical sales than in streaming services is completely meaningless because you have a hunch. Last I checked Netflix and iTunes were not brand new services, they've been rattling around for about a decade now give or take. Given it has been that long why isn't physical media already dead? After this amount of time in the tape vs CD battle CDs were outselling tapes something like 3:1. For disks vs digital it's 1:1.

Yes, video rental of physical media is dying. That's obvious. It's dying faster in the US than anywhere else. If you are the sort of person who does the whole "weekend family movie night" thing then piracy or online rentals make sense. Also as it is you can go to the shop and buy a movie for $10AU or less and not the really crap ones either. In that sort of world the hastle of video rental doesn't make sense for $2.50/week. Either way though there is still growth in the market at large despite the squeeze of digital sales and services.

There's also the fact that conventional wisdom of trends tends to be overly dramatic. The number of mobile broadband subscribers in Australia recently overtook the number of fixed line subscribers for example. This lead to dramatic articles about how mobile was going to make fixed line services obsolete. A view which conveniently dovetailed with some of the conventional wisdoms. This was despite the fact that some 90% of data consumed was on fixed networks and growing. Also the fact that fixed line subscriptions continue to grow just at a slower rate to the much newer shinier mobile services.

For all of these things that are apparently dead they're doing a fantastic job of sticking around.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

88. Posted:

@skywake - lol you seem to think that we are having some sort of argument. I don't know why. I'm not going to argue with someone that thinks there is a future for physical media. I don't know when is the last time someone went to a shop to buy a freaking CD or movie. Its not rentals. Most shops like this went bankrupt around the globe. Thats your fact. Even some shops selling books wemt bankrupt like Borders. But hey whatever suits you.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Blast

89. Posted:

... Why didn't this thread die when the question of the thread was answered with the first reply?

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I do plan on getting a PS4 someday :D

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

90. Posted:

dumedum wrote:

@skywake - lol you seem to think that we are having some sort of argument. I don't know why. I'm not going to argue with someone that thinks there is a future for physical media. I don't know when is the last time someone went to a shop to buy a freaking CD or movie. Its not rentals. Most shops like this went bankrupt around the globe. Thats your fact. Even some shops selling books wemt bankrupt like Borders. But hey whatever suits you.

It ain't:
http://au.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=JBH.AX#symbol=jbh.ax;ra...

As for when someone last went to the shop to buy a CD or movie. Likely right now given how packed JBs always is. Me personally? I suppose November last year. They had a sale so I grabbed a couple of CDs from Queens of the Stone Age and Tame Impala. Before that Sigur Ros' new album along with QOTSA, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Deerhunter, The Flaming Lips, My Bloody Valentine this year. I think my sister grabbed all of the Harry Potters on Blu-Ray this year because those were like $10 each along with Adele, Florence and the Machine or whatever it is she's into. I believe my Dad grabbed Cowboys vs Aliens and Planet of the Apes and some other crap. I got Wreck it Ralph and I believe Django Unchained was this year. I know my brother got the new Pearl Jam album but also got Monsters University for my Niece.

I don't know what my neighbours and friends got, I don't tend to ask. Is that enough anecdotal evidence or do you need photos or something? ;)

[edit]
oh, and before you go all "Australian broadband sucks" on me here's a little fact. We all (i.e. my example peoples) have 8Mbps down at least and usually something like 9Mbps down plus. Downloading isn't an issue and we all know where to go if you know what I mean. Also worth noting that Australia is the piracy capital of the world based on various statistics. We well and truly punch above our weight in that regard. Plus we got Spotify about one and a half years ago and since then I've actually found myself buying more music not less. And yes I know me listing stuffs I got is anecdotal nonsense but that's what you demanded. So there you go.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Beetlejuice

91. Posted:

@dumedum

CD sales have dropped dramatically because most everyone listens to mp3's now, but bluray and DVD sales are still strong, and still take up a large portion of stores like BestBuy and online retailers like Amazon. Just because you are content with watching 700MB films in .divx format on your laptop, doesn't mean most people still don't enjoy watching a bluray on their 50"+ TV at home.

Beetlejuice

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Beetlejuice

92. Posted:

@skywake

What QOTSA album you get? ...Like Clockwork? Not my fave Queens album (that would be either Era Vulgaris or Lullabies), but definitely my pick for album of the year!

Beetlejuice

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

93. Posted:

@JohnRedcorn
Yeah, cams especially. I know people who download cams and are happy to watch them. Then brag about how fantastic they are for being able to watch a movie before its out. I don't like to spoil the experience like that.

Oh and yeah, Like Clockwork. I think it's probably my album of the year also although Sigur Ros' Kveikur was pretty damn good and Ubisoft used it to promote AC4. Wanting to pick up The Drones' new album but that might be because they're probably the most Australian band I've heard ever. My favourite QOTSA album would be Songs for the Deaf but that's mostly because it was basically my personal soundtrack to High School.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

94. Posted:

banacheck wrote:

Disks for media especially movies died a long time ago.

Yes Blu-Ray & Music CD's died off that long ago that most places have forgot that there are still selling them, and the next Blu-Ray format which is coming out 2015/16 died off how long ago? and what year are we in again 2020.

Thank you.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

95. Posted:

JohnRedcorn wrote:

@dumedum

CD sales have dropped dramatically because most everyone listens to mp3's now, but bluray and DVD sales are still strong, and still take up a large portion of stores like BestBuy and online retailers like Amazon. Just because you are content with watching 700MB films in .divx format on your laptop, doesn't mean most people still don't enjoy watching a bluray on their 50"+ TV at home.

Good at least we got the music nonsense out of the way. That's progress lol . why are you limiting yourself to 700mb . you can easily download the blu ray format. That's what people do in most parts of the world.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

96. Posted:

You know I a funny thing happened tonight to me that goes along with this. My brother is looking for a hard to find CD and I tried to name some brick and mortar stores that sell CDs around our town all I came up with is

Target
Kmart
Walmart
Dimple Records (A local place)
Fry's Electronics
Best Buy
Barnes and Nobles

and that's all I can think of. So many places that I went to as a kid to buy CD's like Tower Records and Sam Goody's are now gone. Other then those places I mentioned I can't think of anyone else that carries CDs. :(

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

97. Posted:

@Tasuki
Yeah, most of the tiny places around here went but I think that was about half iTunes and half bigger retailers giving better prices. Of the five or so places I used to go to look for music in the early-to-mid 2000s about three still exist and there's one new one that popped up. So I don't know what that says. The new ones have been more about general entertainment than just CDs, the just CD guys always charged 3x the RRP anyways. So no loss there.

dumedum wrote:

Good at least we got the music nonsense out of the way. That's progress lol .

Actually no we didn't because it's still a large part of the market. Your original point was that it was dead and nobody ever goes to a shop to buy any physical media. The fact that people don't tend to listen to CDs anymore and do enjoy services like Pandora and Spotify doesn't mean it's dead. The fact that physical is now only about 50% of the market doesn't mean it's dead. That means that it's still about half of the market. I personally still buy CDs and am not alone in that. First thing I do when I get home is rip it and then put it on the shelf. So I am listening to an mp3 but I didn't buy an mp3. I brought a CD and got a CD as well as an mp3 and something to sit on my shelf.

Movies it's even less of a thing. Just because you think piracy is the be all and end all doesn't mean others prefer to pay for the content they consume. To support the artists and studios that produce content that they enjoy. The way I see it these online services both legal and not are the all-you-can-eat buffet of media. You go out and you sample stuffs. When you find something you really like you go out and get it whether it be digital or not. And frankly the digital options, especially for movies, are less flexible than the boring old disk options. You can drop in at your local shops and support that artist by getting it, browse the other shiny stuffs and then give a couple of bucks to the guys out the front with the sausage sizzle.

What's so crazy about that? You're missing out man

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

98. Posted:

Actually to prove my point about this still being a thing even further there's a new JBHiFi catalogue out. Nine pages of it is all about PC and office stuffs, beginning of the year ect, four pages are about audio gear, two pages for other gadgets like fitness watches, cameras and GPS, three pages for TVs and a page of phones. Then there's three pages for movies, a page of CDs and a page of games. Then you walk into their shop and it's about the same sort of focus. Depends on the shop, they all do it differently, but it's usually about the same. Some are 80% media and some are closer to 25% media depending on the size of the shop and where they are. The city one is pretty much just CDs and movies with a small gadget section.

These guys are one of the most consistently profitable retailers in our country. If they can get away with still stocking CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays and even giving them prominence then physical media isn't dead. Especially given that Australians are in studies as the early adopters and pirates of the world.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

99. Posted:

OK fine. You convinced me. Cool.

@Tasuki yep, Tower Records is the blockbuster of music. It had like 200 branches where I came from and it crushed when mp3 players (and internet piracy) became strong.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

100. Posted:

@dumedum
Ok, next time I'll just remember that your experience reflects everyone experience and is final. No reason to disagree because when you say something is dead then it must be so.

NNID: skywake