Retro Forum

Topic: Collector's Corner: The Rare and Expensive Video Games Topic

Showing 141 to 160 of 194

AuthorMessage

KingMike

141. Posted:

Sounds like Chubby Cherub is another NES game on the rise. I know for a while the box and manual were kind of valuable to collectors, but now the cart is too.
I suppose the only good thing is that at least the Famicom version is a pretty common anime-based game is someone actually wants the game for its gameplay.

Trolls and Crazyland was always a rare game, it just wasn't that well-known. RodLand was the only rare PAL-exclusive NES game to get much attention.
Mr. Gimmick was pretty unknown until recently. Was it this thread a while we were calling some guy crazy for listing his PAL Mr. Gimmick for $350 BIN complete? One cart just sold for about $411, and a complete for about $978.
They both were limited distribution (Mr. Gimmick in Scandinavia, and RodLand was said to have been only released in Spain and Italy, which I've heard both have a pretty high piracy rate.)

KingMike

AuthorMessage

KingMike

142. Posted:

Ah, what they hey. I ordered me a few Famicom carts, Mickey's Magic Balloon and Mighty Final Fight and might as well throw in a boxed Sweet Home, and a boxed Doraemon N64 game (I hear it's a terrible Mario 64 knockoff. Is it at least better than Gex? :D ). A bit more than I want to spend, but still cheaper than what the NES MFF cart might run me on ebay. :D
(the Mickey Mouse game is the original Kid Klown. Kemco actually planned to release the game intact on the NES, which is unusual for them. An English prototype of the Mickey version has been found, so we can only wonder if maybe Capcom had something to do with the change. You notice the only other console Disney games of the day in America (1992-1993) were on consoles Capcom didn't support much or at all (Sega or TurboGrafx) or Hi-Tech's preschooler games, which couldn't really be considered competition.)

KingMike

AuthorMessage

ogo79

143. Posted:

@KingMike
chubby cherub is getting up there, i knew kid klown was the mickey game but not many people know that. trolls in crazyland is another sprite swap done mario 2 style and was originally called doki! doki! yuuenchi...but im sure you knew that. i dont think theres much me and you can throw at each other we dont already know lol.

ceo of the rare downloads program-"spend yer money on us"
the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

KingMike

144. Posted:

What's strange about Trolls is that it got announced and canceled for the NTSC NES in both versions (the unaltered game, known as Crazyland, as well as the Trolls version).
I bought another game I think might go up sometime. The first GI Joe (I guess known by the toy/TV tagline A Real American Hero for distinction from the second). That game seems to have been sitting pretty steady at around $20. After a couple years of not finding better prices, I went for it. (checking Google Shopping for obscure sites, it looks like some speculators are already trying to ask up to $50. :P )
Though the second game, The Atlantis Factor, doesn't seem too far behind (got it in a store some time ago for $10, not bad compared to ebay).
Prices seem to stay up because the game is supposedly at least a decent game (better than you'd expect of a game based on a toy, definitely better than an infamous Japanese game based on another famous '80s toy. ;) )
So it seems both GI Joe games were made by Taxan, but Atlantis Factor was published by Capcom, who bought it after Taxan went out of business. (similarly they also made Kickmaster but sold it to Taito)

KingMike

AuthorMessage

ogo79

145. Posted:

KingMike wrote:

What's strange about Trolls is that it got announced and canceled for the NTSC NES in both versions (the unaltered game, known as Crazyland, as well as the Trolls version).
I bought another game I think might go up sometime. The first GI Joe (I guess known by the toy/TV tagline A Real American Hero for distinction from the second). That game seems to have been sitting pretty steady at around $20. After a couple years of not finding better prices, I went for it. (checking Google Shopping for obscure sites, it looks like some speculators are already trying to ask up to $50. :P )
Though the second game, The Atlantis Factor, doesn't seem too far behind (got it in a store some time ago for $10, not bad compared to ebay).
Prices seem to stay up because the game is supposedly at least a decent game (better than you'd expect of a game based on a toy, definitely better than an infamous Japanese game based on another famous '80s toy. ;) )
So it seems both GI Joe games were made by Taxan, but Atlantis Factor was published by Capcom, who bought it after Taxan went out of business. (similarly they also made Kickmaster but sold it to Taito)

yep the gi joe games are good. some people seem to like the first one better. i think its funny how Trolls was by American Software Corp and got canned twice here.
this is kinda funny as well as some others on here:
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/rom-pit/kick-master.php

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

Ryno

146. Posted:

So what's up with Zombie Nation? Not only is the story crazy, the prices are as well!

I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

ogo79

147. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

So what's up with Zombie Nation? Not only is the story crazy, the prices are as well!

yeah that one falls under the obscure list as well, the first time i played that game i was like what in the world is this? the last boss is kinda strange

the_shpydar wrote:

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

148. Posted:

I got another Gamecube treasure under $30: Gotcha force. I usually see it go for more, averages about $35, but I ended up with it at exactly $27.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

KingMike

149. Posted:

Attempting to predict a potentially expensive game, I bought a Famicom game called Mitsume Ga Tooru for $13, cart only. Normally see it listed at $30 or more for the cart.
Also a complete SFC puzzle game Pikiinya! for about $20. amazon.jp suggests that's about what it's worth, not the insane $90+ BIN prices on ebay. :)

KingMike

AuthorMessage

KingMike

150. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

I got another Gamecube treasure under $30: Gotcha force. I usually see it go for more, averages about $35, but I ended up with it at exactly $27.

I also ordered one, Bought It Now for $1.01 less. :D

KingMike

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

151. Posted:

KingMike wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

I also ordered one, Bought It Now for $1.01 less. :D

Why you, I fought hard for my copy. D=<
Congratz

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

tesla246

152. Posted:

@Mickeymac
Nice, do you also collect gamecube stuff?

I bought a D-terminal cable new in box (Japan equivalent component cable) for the gamecube for the price off 25 Euro (32 bucks)

tesla246

AuthorMessage

KingMike

153. Posted:

I placed an order for a Super Famicom game called Deae Tonosama Appare Ichiban. Around $53 (or around 4,000 yen) for the cart only (before around 700 yen credit I have). Not a bad price. I see a listing on amazon.jp for about 2,500 yen, but considering I'd then have to pay for proxy shopping, probably not a bad price what I pay.
Pretty good action game, thankfully not well known or it'd be even more expensive. And I think we know when a Sunsoft game goes up in price, it goes UP! :P

Hopefully the last expensive SNES/SFC game on my want list (or at least those I can still imagine paying for.)
I actually wasn't expecting to buy this one, last listing I saw on ebay sold at $115 CIB.

KingMike

AuthorMessage

Ryno

154. Posted:

A "like new" Earthbound player's guide I was watching just got snatched Buy it Now for $150! Wowza

I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

155. Posted:

tesla246 wrote:

@Mickeymac

I bought a D-terminal cable new in box (Japan equivalent component cable) for the gamecube for the price off 25 Euro (32 bucks)

I collect good games, but not stuff". I only get what I need to play the games I want.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

ogo79

156. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

A "like new" Earthbound player's guide I was watching just got snatched Buy it Now for $150! Wowza

theres an insert on page 98/99 inside the eb guide (the deep darkness section) that you could tear out, most guides dont have them anymore, and i bet this one didnt either. regardless im not getting rid of my guides for any price ever. lol
the longer you have your cib the more youre going to be glad you did, not just because of value but, well i dont have to explain it to you im sure you know exactly what i mean.

Edited on by ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:

AuthorMessage

tesla246

157. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

tesla246 wrote:

@Mickeymac

I collect good games, but not stuff". I only get what I need to play the games I want.

Ah, ok, i do have some pretty rare (hard to find) accessoires in mint condition

Edited on by tesla246

tesla246

AuthorMessage

Ryno

158. Posted:

ogo79 wrote:

theres an insert on page 98/99 inside the eb guide (the deep darkness section) that you could tear out, most guides dont have them anymore, and i bet this one didnt either. regardless im not getting rid of my guides for any price ever. lol
the longer you have your cib the more youre going to be glad you did, not just because of value but, well i dont have to explain it to you im sure you know exactly what i mean.

What insert was on 98/99? Also, what were you referring to when you said the "longer you have your cib the more youre going to be glad you did, not just because of value but, well i dont have to explain it to you im sure you know exactly what i mean"? Is that a dig at my age and I will be forgetfull? Haha... :P

Edited on by Ryno

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

AuthorMessage

ogo79

159. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

ogo79 wrote:

What insert was on 98/99? Also, what were you referring to when you said the "longer you have your cib the more youre going to be glad you did, not just because of value but, well i dont have to explain it to you im sure you know exactly what i mean"? Is that a dig at my age and I will be forgetfull? Haha... :P

the insert is just another promo for the game, its not a mail in like the scratch and sniff cards at the back of the guide. what i meant by "im sure you know exactly what i mean" is you probably feel the same way i do about the series.

everyone are no belong to buy this:
Untitled

Edited on by ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:

AuthorMessage

Ryno

160. Posted:

Are you referring to this?
Untitled

Another rare Earthbound item is the cardboard insert. It seems like there are quite a few missing in the listings that are supposed to be "complete."

The guide is just awesome! There is so much detail and creativity in it. I just wish I had a better copy, mine is worn.
I'll admit that RPG's are not my favorite genre but I have been playing Earthbound a little to finally experience what is all about and I am having fun with it so far and I must say it is definitely unique!

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery