Forums

Topic: Collector's Corner: The Rare and Expensive Video Games Topic

Posts 121 to 140 of 214

Ryno

Hmmm... The reviews of Contra Force are pretty mixed out on the old 'Net. But most say it is at least decent but with some slowdown and it is best not to think of it as a Contra game. I still want a copy.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

KingMike

You can ask the game for a temporary CPU second player, but it seems that you can select that as much as you want, so I wonder why they only allow you to activate it for like five seconds before it disappears? Kind of annoying.
You definitely get more than one life, though.
Although it could maybe happen in a bootleg version, though. Konami did program anti-piracy features in most of their later games that would make them much harder/impossible if they detected they were a counterfeit.

KingMike

Ryno

Another game that has been recently inflated besides the Taito games is Journey to Silius. Ever since we mentioned that game a while back on these forums I have slowly watched the value of the game go up and up. I could have got a complete copy for around $15.00 a year ago. Now? Not so much. Just look at this Kid Clown trying to sell a complete copy for $150! "Ultra Rare" my Kickmaster foot!

Edited on by Ryno

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

ogo79

@KingMike
i picked the taito games up right before they started getting crazy with the prices, the prices i payed were already kind of high and ive been watching them ever since. i always look up my rare or expensive games and it never stops amazing me how they shot up in value right after i got them. ive been good at predicting this behavior, and to be honest i knew kid klown was next. i think i payed 40$ for it. now its double. most of my carts have at least doubled. what i think is happening is the sellers are looking for the next game to raise prices on because everyone knows about all the "common rares" and they are trying to keep the ball rolling. as collectors eat up the sought after games, the sellers are pulling out the next "rare game". another one will probably be Growl for Genesis. obscure games are rising and re sellers will always find that one game most people never knew they wanted. so many people are still discovering old games they never knew existed. i got The Trolls In Crazyland (pal game) for like 50$ or so i think. now its going for 200$. i was prepared to pay 150$ for it easily back then. theres a Castlevania Dracula X nib going for 6200$ lol its not even vga graded. as soon as someone overpays for a game it goes up. some of you may remember me playing around on ebay and got that Castlevania Dracula X cart for 118$. now check it for cart only. they all go up. i see so many people hesitate on a game because they think the price is high, but all it takes is a few months later to make them wish theyd bit the bullet then. to me once youve got a few gems in the collection and you see them going up in value the rest kinda just come to you. if things keep going the way they are i can guarantee in 5 years Power Blade 2 and Panic Restaurant will be over what LIttle Samson is this month. after Power Blade 2 and Panic Restaurant there will be another. i just analyze this stuff sit back and play my games. heck, just the way Kickmaser looks on ebay i can tell they are getting ready. it might take a few years but it will happen. in fact, just by this thread, were making these games more expensive because i have exposed a game plan. i got my Kickmaster for like 12 bucks myself. to others, do yerself a favor and get Kickmaster and hold on to it, watch the prices on and off. if it doesnt go up in value youve got an awesome game to play so its a win/win deal.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

ogo79

Ryno wrote:

Another game that has been recently inflated besides the Taito games is Journey to Silius. Ever since we mentioned that game a while back on these forums I have slowly watched the value of the game go up and up.

yep. say Kickmaster 3 times in the mirror and watch what happens...

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

KingMike

Sounds like Chubby Cherub is another NES game on the rise. I know for a while the box and manual were kind of valuable to collectors, but now the cart is too.
I suppose the only good thing is that at least the Famicom version is a pretty common anime-based game is someone actually wants the game for its gameplay.

Trolls and Crazyland was always a rare game, it just wasn't that well-known. RodLand was the only rare PAL-exclusive NES game to get much attention.
Mr. Gimmick was pretty unknown until recently. Was it this thread a while we were calling some guy crazy for listing his PAL Mr. Gimmick for $350 BIN complete? One cart just sold for about $411, and a complete for about $978.
They both were limited distribution (Mr. Gimmick in Scandinavia, and RodLand was said to have been only released in Spain and Italy, which I've heard both have a pretty high piracy rate.)

KingMike

KingMike

Ah, what they hey. I ordered me a few Famicom carts, Mickey's Magic Balloon and Mighty Final Fight and might as well throw in a boxed Sweet Home, and a boxed Doraemon N64 game (I hear it's a terrible Mario 64 knockoff. Is it at least better than Gex? ). A bit more than I want to spend, but still cheaper than what the NES MFF cart might run me on ebay.
(the Mickey Mouse game is the original Kid Klown. Kemco actually planned to release the game intact on the NES, which is unusual for them. An English prototype of the Mickey version has been found, so we can only wonder if maybe Capcom had something to do with the change. You notice the only other console Disney games of the day in America (1992-1993) were on consoles Capcom didn't support much or at all (Sega or TurboGrafx) or Hi-Tech's preschooler games, which couldn't really be considered competition.)

KingMike

ogo79

@KingMike
chubby cherub is getting up there, i knew kid klown was the mickey game but not many people know that. trolls in crazyland is another sprite swap done mario 2 style and was originally called doki! doki! yuuenchi...but im sure you knew that. i dont think theres much me and you can throw at each other we dont already know lol.

the_shpydar wrote:

KingMike

What's strange about Trolls is that it got announced and canceled for the NTSC NES in both versions (the unaltered game, known as Crazyland, as well as the Trolls version).
I bought another game I think might go up sometime. The first GI Joe (I guess known by the toy/TV tagline A Real American Hero for distinction from the second). That game seems to have been sitting pretty steady at around $20. After a couple years of not finding better prices, I went for it. (checking Google Shopping for obscure sites, it looks like some speculators are already trying to ask up to $50. )
Though the second game, The Atlantis Factor, doesn't seem too far behind (got it in a store some time ago for $10, not bad compared to ebay).
Prices seem to stay up because the game is supposedly at least a decent game (better than you'd expect of a game based on a toy, definitely better than an infamous Japanese game based on another famous '80s toy. )
So it seems both GI Joe games were made by Taxan, but Atlantis Factor was published by Capcom, who bought it after Taxan went out of business. (similarly they also made Kickmaster but sold it to Taito)

KingMike

ogo79

KingMike wrote:

What's strange about Trolls is that it got announced and canceled for the NTSC NES in both versions (the unaltered game, known as Crazyland, as well as the Trolls version).
I bought another game I think might go up sometime. The first GI Joe (I guess known by the toy/TV tagline A Real American Hero for distinction from the second). That game seems to have been sitting pretty steady at around $20. After a couple years of not finding better prices, I went for it. (checking Google Shopping for obscure sites, it looks like some speculators are already trying to ask up to $50. )
Though the second game, The Atlantis Factor, doesn't seem too far behind (got it in a store some time ago for $10, not bad compared to ebay).
Prices seem to stay up because the game is supposedly at least a decent game (better than you'd expect of a game based on a toy, definitely better than an infamous Japanese game based on another famous '80s toy. )
So it seems both GI Joe games were made by Taxan, but Atlantis Factor was published by Capcom, who bought it after Taxan went out of business. (similarly they also made Kickmaster but sold it to Taito)

yep the gi joe games are good. some people seem to like the first one better. i think its funny how Trolls was by American Software Corp and got canned twice here.
this is kinda funny as well as some others on here:
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/rom-pit/kick-master.php

the_shpydar wrote:

Ryno

So what's up with Zombie Nation? Not only is the story crazy, the prices are as well!

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

ogo79

Ryno wrote:

So what's up with Zombie Nation? Not only is the story crazy, the prices are as well!

yeah that one falls under the obscure list as well, the first time i played that game i was like what in the world is this? the last boss is kinda strange

the_shpydar wrote:

CanisWolfred

I got another Gamecube treasure under $30: Gotcha force. I usually see it go for more, averages about $35, but I ended up with it at exactly $27.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

KingMike

Attempting to predict a potentially expensive game, I bought a Famicom game called Mitsume Ga Tooru for $13, cart only. Normally see it listed at $30 or more for the cart.
Also a complete SFC puzzle game Pikiinya! for about $20. amazon.jp suggests that's about what it's worth, not the insane $90+ BIN prices on ebay.

KingMike

KingMike

Mickeymac wrote:

I got another Gamecube treasure under $30: Gotcha force. I usually see it go for more, averages about $35, but I ended up with it at exactly $27.

I also ordered one, Bought It Now for $1.01 less.

KingMike

CanisWolfred

KingMike wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

I also ordered one, Bought It Now for $1.01 less.

Why you, I fought hard for my copy. D=<
Congratz

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

tesla246

@Mickeymac
Nice, do you also collect gamecube stuff?

I bought a D-terminal cable new in box (Japan equivalent component cable) for the gamecube for the price off 25 Euro (32 bucks)

tesla246

KingMike

I placed an order for a Super Famicom game called Deae Tonosama Appare Ichiban. Around $53 (or around 4,000 yen) for the cart only (before around 700 yen credit I have). Not a bad price. I see a listing on amazon.jp for about 2,500 yen, but considering I'd then have to pay for proxy shopping, probably not a bad price what I pay.
Pretty good action game, thankfully not well known or it'd be even more expensive. And I think we know when a Sunsoft game goes up in price, it goes UP!

Hopefully the last expensive SNES/SFC game on my want list (or at least those I can still imagine paying for.)
I actually wasn't expecting to buy this one, last listing I saw on ebay sold at $115 CIB.

KingMike

Ryno

A "like new" Earthbound player's guide I was watching just got snatched Buy it Now for $150! Wowza

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

CanisWolfred

tesla246 wrote:

@Mickeymac
Nice, do you also collect gamecube stuff?

I bought a D-terminal cable new in box (Japan equivalent component cable) for the gamecube for the price off 25 Euro (32 bucks)

I collect good games, but not stuff". I only get what I need to play the games I want.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.