Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 9,881 to 9,900 of 11,914

Dezzy

Really makes me wonder what price the digital PS5 will be.

Is that supposed to be lower spec too? Or just digital but same spec?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

redd214

@Dezzy same exact internals just no drive. At this point I think they have to go no more than 400 with the digital model and the Series X and regular ps5 both being $500ish

redd214

Octane

300 is a good price. Even cheaper than Switch. I hope they do clarify whether it plays all next gen games or not. Because if it doesn't, I don't see the point.

@Dezzy @redd214 Yeah, I expect 500 for both consoles, and 400 for the PS5 digital. Disc drives are relatively cheap (around $10-20 according to DF), but I bet Sony is going to push digital hard, so they're probably willing to take the loss.

Octane

Octane

What's the catch though? They're not saving $200+ on the disc drive alone. And the difference between 4K and 1440p isn't that big either.

Octane

redd214

@Octane there's definitely going to be a performance hit somewhere but I think it'd just super aggressive pricing on MS part. This thing is essentially a gamepass box so their definitely going to make their money back from whatever loss their eating. All speculation on my part of course

redd214

Dezzy

Only a 512GB hard drive for an all-digital console? Hmmmm

Octane

@Dezzy Switch Lite says hi

They have those custom SSDs they want to sell you. I assume off the shelf SSDs will also work?

Octane

redd214

It's insane that in a year or 2 you'll be able to scoop up a used S for like 200 bucks, that's like impulse buy territory. Lot of performance packed into that thing for the price of a switch!

Edited on by redd214

redd214

BANJO

@Dezzy Just what I was thinking, a good size SSD could cost more than the console....

BANJO

Dezzy

@Octane

Switch Lite? That's not digital only, nor does it have limited storage space?

DarkRula

Series S for that price is impossible to say no to for me. I never would have expected it to be that low, which kind of brings me to want one at launch rather than a few months after.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

jump

That’s a good and surprising price. It’s in an impulse buy and family friendly price range.

I still have interest in it as there’s not exclusive for the Xbox to justify it over other choices.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Magonigal

@DarthNocturnal

I think the reasoning behind a 512Gb drive is that this is partly a console for Game Pass where you wouldn't need a lot of space to download a couple of games at a time and delete when you've completed them. I think this console and the price is a genius move from Microsoft

Magonigal

Banjo-

Octane wrote:

I expect 500 for both consoles, and 400 for the PS5 digital.

I think so. This was my price prediction one month ago.

BlueOcean wrote:

If the price of Series S is 300, I expect the price of Series X to be 500. PS5 would also cost 500 but PS5 Digital Edition 400. That would be interesting, budget-conscious people could buy a PS5 cheaper than a Series X but no disc drive and less powerful or they could buy Series S that it's similar to Series X but HD instead of 4K and would be cheaper than any other console, including Switch.

Dezzy wrote:

I bet it's literally just an Xbox One X with a new cover.

That is the worst comparison you could make because Xbox One X has a current-gen CPU. Series S is literally a Series X without the expensive GPU and the advanced cooling system. Series X renders at 4K, 4K is 4 times as many pixels as 1080p. 12 TFLOPS (4K) /4 = 3 TFLOPS would suffice to render 4 times fewer pixels, provided that the CPU is the same. Series S has 4 TFLOPS, more than enough for 1080p at the same frame rate. It is also possible Xbox Series S actually loads things faster and gets more performance from XVA/SFS since 1080p/1440p requires much less bandwidth.

Series S will exceed Series X and of course PS5 in terms of performance at 1080p.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/08/here_are_the_latest_rum...

And the best thing is that it upscales games to 4K.

Banjo-

Grumblevolcano

The thing about Series S that makes it seem very much like "more than meets the eye" regarding the rumoured specs is the row that says:
Xbox Series X - Xbox Series X exclusives
Xbox Series S - Next-Gen support

If true that suggests some Series X games won't be playable on Series S.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Banjo-

Dezzy wrote:

BlueOcean wrote:

Series S will exceed Series X and of course PS5 in terms of performance at 1080p.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/08/here_are_the_latest_rum...

Well if those specs are true, this will be an absolute bargain. I would never bother with the more expensive one. I'll just somehow adapt to no discs and the small hard drive.

Correct, Series S is basically a digital edition of the Series X without the expensive (very expensive) GPU. Series X will, actually, be great value considering the specifications but Series S is a no-brainer for most people. I mean, it's cheaper than Switch and even though it's not designed for rendering above 1440p, it has the option to upscale games to 4K. Another difference is the size of the SSD, 1 TB for Series X and 512 GB for Series S.

Some of these details are confirmed by the leaked reveal trailer, which is surprisingly good. Someone else posted this tweet account earlier, but still here it is.

Banjo-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic