Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 9,861 to 9,880 of 11,914

Dezzy

Well looky here. Series S?

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/rumor-first-look-at-xbox-seri...

Untitled

Daniel Ahman industry analyst says this is real. Looks like the official announcement might be soon. So what do we think this will actually be? Essentially just something equivalent to the Xbox One X but that also runs the next gen games? And without a disc drive. The lack of a disc drive means I'll probably never get it. I've got loads of Xbox games on disc.
Also the SeriesX looks nicer.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Anti-Matter

LOL
Making another discless console will be useless after 10 or 20 years from now.
Tell to the future generations that being digital 100% is Not Cool.
It is a huge mistake.
#letsgophysical 🤟

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Dezzy

Is that how Skynet takes over?

Anti-Matter

Both models (S and X) don't look very appealing. 🤨
PS5 for sure.

Anti-Matter

Dezzy

I think the SeriesX looks good. But at that price, and with the lack of good exclusives at this point, I doubt there'll be enough to reel me in. I'll maybe reconsider when Fable comes out. But until then, I don't see any exclusive being as much of a draw as Demon's Souls or Horizon 2 for the PS5 (I'll be getting Halo on Xbox One)

Edited on by Dezzy

Banjo-

@Dezzy What price did you expect? Series S is the best value you'll find next generation and X is a compact monster of PC-console for a quarter of the price of an equivalent PC in terms of performance.

Banjo-

Octane

"One notable thing is the lack of disc drive in the Series S, to keep costs down."

DF estimated that it would cost around $10-20 for the console makers to include a disc drive, since they're already buying them for cheap and in bulk. The mean reason for the lack of disc drive is the push towards digital (because higher revenue) I think.

Octane

Octane

@Dezzy I think it's pretty much a given that the PS5 will also be 500 at this point.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Dezzy Then why, why, why did they not do the tick tock release with x1x being the "minimum to run next gen" like we all thought they were doing when they released 1x? Who'd have paid 500 for a 3 year console knowing this? X1x went from awesome value to Xbox SeriesU in the past month.

To be fair though, x1x was 500 at launch so xsex following suit would be within expectations. The rumors of 600 would be laughable. Sxes at 300 would squarely target switch more than ps5... That's interesting.

If i can buy SeX for 500 (try that in Vegas) and digital ps5 for 400, i can get all next gen for 900.... Pricy but not bad compared to a pc. (we won't talk NEW Nintendo Switch)

@Anti-Matter physical discs aren't going to be playable in 20 years either if the services behind them don't exist anymore either. Most of the content still must be downloaded, and that will be moreso next gen. The main reason for physical is the ability to sell/share, and to keep retail competition for game sales to drive prices down. But games preservation won't exist either way... The disc is little more than a base content installer before downloading the rest. Heck, even acnh suffers from that. That cart will be useless in decades because they're releasing half the game in downloads, it's not on the cart. Even fireworks nights were a download.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

The mean reason for the lack of disc drive is the push towards digital (because higher revenue) I think.

Yep. They're building the higher profit margins for future game sales into the original console price. I bet Sony do the same.

The PS6 will just be all digital because by then enough people will be used to it. Really makes a mockery of that old viral Playstation video:

BlueOcean wrote:

@Dezzy What price did you expect? Series S is the best value you'll find next generation and X is a compact monster of PC-console for a quarter of the price of an equivalent PC in terms of performance.

I didn't have any particular expectation because I didn't know the difference in power, and I wasn't sure how much they were doing it to try and just lure people into digital.

Edited on by Dezzy

Banjo-

The problem with physical is that besides being a beta version and a key nowadays, future consoles might ditch the disc drive so you can't run the discs on them. The problem with digital is if they stop serving the games. I trust Microsoft to provide digital games indefinitely but I don't trust Nintendo to do the same. And will future Nintendo consoles play Switch cartridges? It's best to go digital on Microsoft and Sony consoles but what about Nintendo?

Banjo-

Dezzy

Officially confirmed by Microsoft. So that Windows central thing was probably right as well. The Series X will be $500 and the Series S is $300. That's definitely gonna tempt quite a few people. Surely the lowest price for a "next-gen" home console for quite a while? I bet it's literally just an Xbox One X with a new cover.

This is basically the "gamepass console" then really, isn't it? This might get them back in the competition quite a bit. If the PS5 digital version is $400 and disc version is $500, that price difference will really help Xbox.

Edited on by Dezzy

Tasuki

@Dezzy I don't think the Series X will be $500. I think by revealing the series S with the price point of $299 its to bait Sony into revealing the price for the PS5.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Dezzy

@Tasuki

Why would revealing their cheaper console bait Sony? You know the PS5 is gonna cost more than this no matter what.

I bet it is $500. The massive difference would be justified based on how much more profit they make from removing retail sales.

Grumblevolcano

@Tasuki I think Series S reveal is more about responding to the Mario Direct. The silence on the next gen front has been so extreme recently that Nintendo may have stolen a lot of the hype with the Mario Direct last week (3D All Stars is just 10 days away). By revealing an affordable next gen system at the same price as the Switch, people may consider picking the Series S up.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

I really doubt the Mario stuff has anything to do with it...

Octane

redd214

Yeah I really don't think Xbox and Microsoft are responding to a few Mario remasters lol!

Love what they're doing with the S, price point and the financing option are quite enticing.

redd214

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic