Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 9,901 to 9,920 of 11,914

Dezzy

@BlueOcean

And do we know yet what improvements it will offer for backwards compatibility stuff? I assume Xbox One games will render in higher resolution?
What about the 360 improvements that the Xbox One X offered? I'd love to be able to play Witcher 2 and Fable in 1440p.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Banjo-

@Dezzy Interesting question. Microsoft said that backwards compatible games will perform better on Series X, some of them at double frame rate, so I expect not just the Xbox One X enhancements on Series S but also those next-gen enhancements they mentioned for Series X. Xbox One X enhancements will be available, for sure. Do you have the Xbox One S? I forgot.

Banjo-

Dezzy

@BlueOcean

Yeah I have the One S. One of the very rare dark gray versions.

The thing that would absolutely sell me on this is if it offered performance boosts on a whole range of games I already own (even though I would need to rebuy a lot of them- cos discs). Like I know they're working on a Witcher 3 patch. Cyberpunk will have an updated version. I'd love to be able to play Final Fantasy XV in 60fps, Red Dead 2 in 60fps, etc etc.

If it has all of those improvements, I'll probably upgrade within the first year. Especially if it can play Cyberpunk at 60fps. That would really do the trick!

Edited on by Dezzy

Banjo-

@Dezzy Series S plays Series X games so you'll be able to play Cyberpunk and The Witcher 3 next-gen versions on both. Xbox One X enhancements will be available as well and further improved like you suggest because of dynamic resolutions scaling and unlocked frame rate. Perfect examples are the ones you mentioned plus Monster Hunter World, that game struggles on every current-gen console and I can't wait to see it running on next-gen consoles even without patches.

I expect the next-gen backwards compatible enhancements to be available on both consoles and also 4K support for Xbox and Xbox 360 games because that's available on Xbox One X (not all 360 games but those that are enhanced) and Series S is 4K-compatible. Until now, I wasn't sure about Series S resolution settings but the leaked reveal trailer is clear, Series S has 4K support, not native but upscaled. That makes it a much more interesting console because it's a great value even for people with 4K TVs, you can play next-gen games upscaled to 4K and that also means that it can run backwards compatible games at native 4K like Xbox One X.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Peach64

Really shocked at how cheap the Series S will be. Great option for those that don't have 4K TVs yet. I'm getting the Series X though. I do have a 4K TV and I didn't buy any version of the Xbox One, so I can spend the first year playing through all the Xbox One exclusives and even some 360 stuff I missed in 4K and HDR, along with stuff like Cyberpunk.

Peach64

IceClimbers

The Series S is a genius move by Microsoft. Next generation gaming at the price of a Switch? That's impulse buy territory as a Game Pass and BC console.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Ralizah

The Series S should have been a great move, but the lack of a disc drive kills it for me. Part of what I wanted a new Xbox for was to take advantage of the BC for my old 360 games, but with no disc drive, it's a no go for me. :/

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

MsJubilee

Series S is tempting especially with that price, but with no disc drive makes my 360 games useless. I'm going to have to think about this.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Dezzy

Yeah if they lowered the price of 360 games digitally, it would make things a bit easier. But so many of them are still quite a high price so I can't really afford to rebuy them all!
I've got like 40 X360 games. Some of them are really expensive to buy digitally. Witcher 2 and Fable Anniversary are still pretty much full price.

Edited on by Dezzy

BruceCM

The Witcher games go on regular sales across all platforms ....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Banjo-

@Dezzy Witcher 2 was ridiculously cheap during the last sale and you have Fable Anniversary on Game Pass. If you want ownership, wait for the next sale, it has been included many times.

Banjo-

MsJubilee

And what about the rest of the 360 games? They still cost 20$ or 30$, so why buy the digital version when the physical route is much cheaper.

Edited on by MsJubilee

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Banjo-

@MsJubilee I understand. You and @Dezzy will have to choose. Is it better to buy Series X and use your discs as keys or buy a cheaper digital-only console and say bye-bye to discs? I don't have an Xbox 360 and every 360 game that I own is digital but, still, I choose Series X for native 4K.

Banjo-

Ralizah

A big sale on 360/One games would engender a lot of good will, I think.

It's going to be hard to resist the Series S at that price point, even without physical BC.

Edited on by Ralizah

BruceCM

Yeah, if you have enough 360 or XB1 games on discs that you want to keep playing ..... Maybe keep the current console you use for those?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Anti-Matter

I still choose Xbox 360 for DDR, Dance Evolution and Kinect games.

Anti-Matter

ianl579

As someone who doesn't own an Xbox, the Series S is really appealing at that $300 price and its slim form factor, but no disc drive is a deal-breaker for me.

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah Series S (and Series X) has the same problem at PS Vita, if you want extra space you have to buy those proprietary SSD cards and something like Black Ops Cold War will likely take up around half the internal SSD memory.

I saw an idea on Pure Xbox and I think that is going to be how it'll going to work. Microsoft introduces the ability to play games on Series X and Series S using xCloud without installing them as a Game Pass Ultimate perk so you have the choice between buying a very expensive SSD card or subscribing to Game Pass Ultimate.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Banjo-

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Microsoft introduces the ability to play games on Series X and Series S using xCloud without installing them as a Game Pass Ultimate perk so you have the choice between buying a very expensive SSD card or subscribing to Game Pass Ultimate.

You don't know if the expansion cards are going to be very expensive. You'll have a similar problem on PS5 which has 825 GB. While it's true that you will have more choices for PS5, you will not know for sure what model to buy so I don't know what's worse.

Banjo-

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano I doubt it'll be much of an issue for me. I juggled installs on PS4's 500GB hard drive for an entire generation with little issue, after all.

The problem with PS Vita was that it was obscenely expensive even to get to the point where you have a little bit of space to download stuff.

@BlueOcean I hope not. Those expansion cards are just adorable, and bring back fond memories of the PS1.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic