Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 3,901 to 3,920 of 11,914

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Well, then that particular part of my comment still applies: simply start up the game, and play it. If any updates are needed, either immediately or at a certain point, you'll get a pop up telling you that this is the case.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX @Zuljaras I'm pretty sure it's automatic when you start the game (same as Switch.) Switch also has a context menu to check manually. Maybe 360 didn't have that, but just launching the game should force the check. Be sure you're signed into XBL before launching it. That could be an issue (either that or you have a newer print of the disc with the patch already applied. Remember when companies used to do that? Good times....)

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras One other thing I remembered, that you could try, is simply to delete that update, and then restart the game, and then it should try to download it again. If it is the same size again, then that's apparently all you need.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras And in general, any queries or questions that you might have, should be found on the official Xbox support pages.

This one also mentions updating games and what to do about errors while or after updating, so that might also come in handy: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/troubleshooting/update-g...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Banjo-

@Zuljaras I don't know much about the 360 console but I wanted to share with you all how you check if your Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One games are updated on Xbox One:

· Press the Home button.
· Go to My games and apps (see all).
· Highlight a game and press the Menu button (the one with three lines).
· Select Manage game and add-ons.

There you will see both "Last updated: …" and "Version: …". This is also where you check the available and installed DLC.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@BlueOcean That's more or less what I already described 8 comments before you.
If you hadn't missed that, you could have saved yourself the trouble...

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama Todays FG roundup:
BTW, on the Razer, the one weak point some negative reviews have listed is the connector cable. The 360 version used an automotive connector that was prone to failure. The X1 version supposedly uses an aircraft version with a screw down connector, though I've heard some issues with that too (it's bulky and sticks out quite a bit, seems prone to issues in that way.) But looking at pics, the TE2 seems to use a similar connector....does it have a screwdown connector, or just a straight-plug?

Also, I ended up getting MK X on the sale....I'm surprised, I like it quite a bit more than I imagined. A bit overly graphic for my tastes, but the gameplay is much like Injustice but with more blood and less capes (I hadn't realized it was both Netherrealm until the copyright screen, no wonder you compared them!)

I also got MvC 3 on the sale. What's the impression in the "serious" fighting community about 3 versus Infinite? Even as an amateur, I have to say.....I think I kind of like 3 better....... the 3 character tag games are crazy and chaotic more than 2. Maybe I'm biased because I can pick Phoenix Wright as a main and Ami as support

So far if I had to rank my favorite FGs I think I have to say the order is:
1) DB:FZ (Partly bolstered by an awesome format single player game, BlazBlue type mechanics, and a great presentation. I don't even like Dragonball.... )
2) MvC 3 (there's something really special here. Reminds me of the fun pseudo-fighter mayhem of Project X Zone a little.)
3) DoA: Final Round (I'm not sure, does DoA get played even as a "serious" fighter? It's very slow, deliberate, no air game, but I love the more boxing inspired gameplay...it's more "grounded" and real than some (Swimsuit Edition Fighter issues aside.) ) I didn't expect it to be near the top of the list.
4) MvC Infinite (I also really like it, but it feels more Injustice than MvC in some regards after trying out 3.
4) Injustice 1 & 2 (Tied for 4th) (very similar so I can group them): I know, slow, bad timing, but I like the more deliberate battle mechanic.
5) Tekken 7: Shame it's not the best single player in the world (and has terrible netcode) so it's an amazing game that's better for local vs. But what it does have really is great. Not as cativating as the above for me, but I also can't put it down....very very technical...so many combos...probably not great for non-serious fighters.
6) SF (2, 4) (It's hard to rank high not having the newest. It's classic, it's wonderful, it's addictive. Maybe it's too "dry" to be as entertaining as the above for non-competitive play. The others feel like total videogames, SF still feels like a coin-op arcade experience no matter what (not a bad thing). Haven't tried V. Probably never well (I don't need a third stick for one game.)
7) MK X: Love the gameplay, don't love the aesthetics, so it goes near the end, but it's not "abandoned."
8) KI...I want to love it. I really really do. The metagame for SP is so cool. It still feels Lootbox-y but there's a lot to love in this game...but I can NOT digest the feel of the setup, and the controls/play loop are not clicking with me.
89 VF, SC (Nothing new so they're classic but dated as-is. Someday.....)
10) BlazBlue: From Chronophantasma I just can't get into it. There's a lot to really like, but I just somehow can't get into it. A botched story mode that's a movie gives me no world insight, and the arcade mode leaves me feeling kind of "it's a worse Street Fighter 2" kind of feeling. I want to like it, but it's not happening. I have CTB for Switch now, so I might get into it there depending on if it's more coherent than Cchronophantasma.

@ThanosRexxx Sorry, first you hooked me on racing games, now Ryu hooked me on FG. You two are a baaaaaaad influence on me. I miss when I was an RPG/action-adventure addict.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia This would be my order for fighting games I've played:
1) Smash Wii U
2) Brawl
3) Smash 3DS
4) Pokken DX
5) ARMS
6) Melee
7) Killer Instinct (XB1)
8) Smash 64

With Smash Ultimate very likely to take the number 1 spot given the decision of "Everyone is here" over roster cuts and almost "Everywhere is here".

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano So, have you ever tried Smash?

I loved Brawl, and subspace was probably my most played thing on the Wii by far. 4, when it gave me the stupid board game for solo I kind of gave it the finger and looked back once or twice. I eventually got the 3DS one, which I liked better but was knee deep in Splatoon at the time. (3DS was a good little fighter machine. SF4, DoAD.) But I'm far from a core Smash nut. I do like Pokken, but I somehow haven't gotten into it....I was actually doing semi-ok online last time I tried but I don't play often enough to really stay decent. ARMS I love...it's part boxer, part FG, part shooter.....I was very addicted to that last year until Splatoon launched. It was all I played for 2 months. I was starting to get mid-ranks using handheld mode! You're right, that one should be in the list....though it's sort of...not sure it belongs in this list. It's a fighter...but not. It's just kind of unique. If we're counting ARMS then yeah I'm probably as deep into FG as Ryu.

Personally half the appeal of the genre is arcade sticks though....kind of like Nintendo "gimmicks" the way the controls feel is a big part of how playing the game feels. So Pokken that doesn't work with a stick and smash that never supported one don't feel like "I want to play a fighting game" to me. Maybe Smash U will suport it now that Switch has a real stick. Fingers crossed! I think my feelings toward smash would change quite a bit if I could play it with a stick (the way Nintendo games are meant to be played! I remember the DK cabinet! I remember the Mario 3 cabinet! I remember the Metroid cabinet! I was there!! I played on all of them! )

It's interesting to me though that your FG preference as a big smash fan is mostly centered around the fast play games. Smash, Arms, Melee, KI (maybe that's why I don't understand KI, it's Smashy?) Well, Pokken is Tekken & SC based so that one gets technical.) But my list was more deliberate technical fighters (but keeping the most technical ones near the bottom.)

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia Well Smash has a special bonus of not only being fun but also introduction into different Nintendo franchises. If not for Smash, my first Fire Emblem game would've been Awakening rather than Path of Radiance, I wouldn't have tried Kid Icarus Uprising (still should've been a Wii U game though), I wouldn't have bought any Xenoblade games until XC2 (though given how port heavy the Switch is, maybe that would've worked out better ), etc.

But I find Melee rather overrated nowadays so that's why it's so low.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia Do you sleep?

Community crapped on Infinite because of the loss of the Xmen license (or whatever fox and marvel did) but it wasn't that bad.. Ultimate MvC3 is the tighter game though but I can play both just fine. 2 is still kinda the snob holy grail though. I finally moved on after 3 came out. (I'm not a snob about it...heck I still play TvC and that is all kinds of broken) I'm not sure if it pulled a SFV though were folks were mad for like a month and now they love it. My situation kinda went upside down not long after I picked up Infinite and I've yet to go back to it.

Folks go back and forth on DOA it was a joke that got serious but was hampered by the perv showcase but it had decent juggle games not Tekken level mind you but still. I played 5 because of the inclusion of the VF characters but other than that I don't spend much time on DOA. You should not be viewing BB as a SF game. It is a GG style game full stop. If you can play GG you can play BB (in fact I'd argue that BB is easier to get into)

Why are you not playing SF III 3rd strike...didn't you get the collection? (or any of the Alpha games...) Sorry I'll peddle VF and SF whenever I can.

Also I wasn't saying that the joystick wasn't important as it is vital for chaining combos (neutral snapback needs to be something that you are comfortable with.) But my playstyle is usually footsies more than rushdown and chaining so I'm not as bothered about it as some folks that file their gates on their joysitcks. So long as I have a bat top and it is at least a JLF-TP-8YT I'm good.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia wrote:

@ThanosRexxx Sorry, first you hooked me on racing games, now Ryu hooked me on FG. You two are a baaaaaaad influence on me. I miss when I was an RPG/action-adventure addict.

Well, there's always still my personal favorite Earthlock, so if you haven't got that one yet, then that'll be my next NEStalgia project...

And glad you're enjoying all the fighting games. They each have their own pros and cons, but overall, I find most of them entertaining. I don't feel the same about the MK series, as that should just be seen for what it is, which is an utterly ridiculous, over the top, not taking itself too seriously, animated fighter. And the fatalities are absolutely hilarious to me, so bring 'em on. Can never have enough of them.

I do agree on Killer Instinct: I've got the whole bundle, thanks to Games with Gold, but I've only played it a couple of times. It feels off, in some ways, I can't exactly put my finger on it. I feel like they were trying too hard to force-fuse two separate things together, by making a game that on the one hand pays homage to the original, while on the other hand (see? no abbreviations needed... ) also being more like a modern fighter, but during the process, something may have gone wrong, that made it lose that feel.

I went in, expecting the good old Killer Instinct, but I got something that couldn't hold my attention for more than a couple of bouts, and ever since, I haven't touched it anymore...

What I'm really waiting for, is the next installment of Dead or Alive. Those were always highly entertaining games, and they have always looked damn good, even on older systems. Currently, I've got almost all of the installments ever released on Microsoft's consoles, except for the very last one.

And of course I also own the original, on the Dreamcast...

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano Truly, Smash is the most clever marketing tool ever devised!

@Ryu_Niiyama Does playing Naughty Dog games count as sleep? If so, yes.

Ahh glad to hear both are acceptable, but also that my fighting sense isn't so bad that I could recognize (pretty quickly) 3 as the better one. I still like Infinite though. It has some fun elements all its own (I still blame Disney more than Capcom for probably making the game a nightmare to make. New rule: If it's not Amazon's fault, blame Disney. They're the only choices, right?)

Juggle games, jiggle games...when it comes to Team Ninja, what's the difference? It's a shame it's mostly known for the "perv showcase", especially when Tekken gets darned close to duplicating that without being called out half as much (that XBox version of the Hori Tekken stick.......who buys that thing?) It gets in the way of looking at the game itself. I do get the impression it's not taken seriously. But...the fighting seems so unique with it's boxing-ring approach, I kind of wish it were (plus I like the button based blocking as opposed to stick based blocking, even if my impulsive reflex is to stick block after years of even occasional, casual fighter play.)

I haven't actually played GG (I will when it comes to Switch) so my comparison has to be GG-less for now. Still, with a borked story mode and little more than Arcade mode it was hard to get into. Decent tutorials, though, I wasn't spending time (on any of these games) with delving deep into tutorials/training yet...just learning the feel on the fly. BB makes that very difficult.

No, I don't have the collection (yet)...I have USFII (NSW) and SFIV(X1), and much as I like SF, I don't really see the need to own every iteration ever as a non-competition player. USFII is the classic of classic fighters, and SFIV is the "new" one (screw you Sony), plus I have a soft spot attachment to IV from arcade play....and V doesn't even exist in Capcom's own arcades let alone others ("Arcade Edition"....pffft.) I may pick it up someday but if I do it'll probably be on an X1 sale rather than the Switch version (Guilty Gear and DB:FZ may be Switch double dippers though.)

Interesting you play without being all about combo chains. I thought I was "playing wrong" but not doing that (seems to be the path to more success.) Also interesting you use the bat top. I haven't tried switching to the bat yet, I was thinking that was all about the shmups and the ball tops were the choice for fighting. (I also can't figure out how to unscrew it without the ball just spinning and spinning, but ultimately, I thought ball was "preferable" (it's what my arcade has anyway.) I tend to associate bats with Happ sticks with garage door springs in them...but I have fond memories of them from some shmup cabs in the day.

@ThanosRexxx Earthlock, indeed I have not tried it!

This is the first time I've ever tried MK. I know I know it was all the rage (after SF) back in the day. But the fatalities thing has never been my style. I got this one on a whim because I'm trying out everything and it was only $10. Turns out it's pretty good (surprising for a non-Japanese fighter )

Yeah KI...I really wish I could love it. There's so much about it that I feel like I "want" it to click....but....it doesn't. Much as I try. Maybe it will, eventually. I'm not familiar enough with the genre to put a finger on what feels wrong, but something does. I'm not familiar with the originals (both came with definitive so I can check them out though!)

Well at least there's another DoA fan. Though I fear to ask what it is you like about it But it did stand out to me both on 3DS (Dimensions) and now on X1 (Final Round) as really fun (even if it's not acceptable as a serious fighter.) The campaign in Final Round (so far) is hysterical in that it feels like a daytime soap. The line delivery, the motionless poses and overdramatic facial expressions as though contemplating the weight of the universe with a long pauses between each line of dialogue, the whole thing is cheesy daytime soap, and it fits the "all the females are wearing wardrobe that stays on with glue and magic, and all the males are oiled and shirtless" vibe....once it's a daytime soap that all suddenly makes perfect sense. But it's also such a well done fighter campaign in that once it gets into chapters it's just arcade-mode styled fights with very brief cutscenes so I never feel like I"m waiting forever for cutscenes to move forward (Tekken 7 cough.)

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia wrote:

Well at least there's another DoA fan. Though I fear to ask what it is you like about it

Well, much as I like looking at beautiful women, in all their shapely forms, I'm not much of a "heavy jiggle" guy.
I like 'em normal size or even just perky. Same with the other, much coveted female body part...

No, what has won me over, during the years that the series has run, is the excellent fighting and combo mechanics. It is far deeper than most people think, and the AI is also pretty good. In most games in the series, you can get quite far with button mashing on the lower difficulty settings, but other than that, you really do need to learn moves, counters and combos, and that is what makes this such a good series.

The jiggle is just eye candy, to some, but the mechanics that lie beneath that eye candy, are far more impressive. Yep, I'm a fan...

So.... no Earthlock yet, huh?
Far as I know, it's still on Gaming with Gold, so why not give it a try? Good thing for you, is that it is the patched/improved version. Bad thing for me is that I was already one-third into the campaign of the original (which is called "Earthlock: Festival of Magic", so make sure that you don't select that one), and save games cannot be imported/taken into the newer version of the game, although it is EXACTLY the same game in almost every way, minus the improvements, an extended story line and additional side quests.

So, unfortunately, I'll have to start all over again, after having come so far, and having grinded and leveled my characters up to the point where they are now...

But it's simply a great game, and a definite must-have for every jRPG fan. And the most wondrous thing is probably that it is a jRPG made by Europeans. But they most definitely pulled it off. Great and engaging story, intriguing characters, absolutely beautiful music, and a beautifully drawn game world, with lots of variety in areas and characters.

Just to get you into the mood, here's the official soundtrack page, so you can listen to some of the songs:
https://snowcastlegames.bandcamp.com/releases
And for completion's sake, here are the trailers for both the original and the Extended Edition, as another reminder of why you simply HAVE to get this game, and even more so, if you are a fan of the genre...

Oh, and just to be ABSOLUTELY sure that you get the right version, here's the product page:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/earthlock/bvjnxd9v4fvp?acti...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia I cut my teeth on SF II and SFIII as a kid as well as a large number of the neogeo fighters and either my local arcade was switching them out to bats (minus HAPP of course and neogeo) or I just happened to get conditioned to bat tops. I play by placing my palm on top of the joystick so the slight cupping motion I make to grip the stick cramps my hands on ball top (I'm weird so sue me). Also being a woman I don't have the largest hands in the world just long fingers, so ball top is unwieldy to me. I'll play em if I have no choice, but there is a reason I'm a BYOFS player (As many of us are). My brother hates that and usually makes me play pad as a handicap since I am a HORRIBLE pad player. I lose all my timing.

Well it depends on who you play, how you play and how your mindgames work. Fighting games are chess on steroids. Half it isn't the game mechanics but instead the player's personality and mental flexibility. (which is what got me into em in the first place...chess/shogi ftw.) I'm a Ryu (Makoto/Mitsurugi/Vanessa Lewis) footsie player. You can combo link him well but imo he isnt fast enough to make that your priority gaming style. I'm a turtle, poke, punish, turtle type player. Never liked rushdown (even though the VS games are built for it) as for me it takes the mental aspect out of it. that is my opinion of course and I've been shouted down about it. But it works for me so there we go.

Oh I coulda told you KI wasnt old school KI, sorry.

I will say the one thing about DOA is that at least it is equal opportunity. Half the dudes are wearing skintight clothing themselves. But the jiggle physics always make me go:

Untitled

Breasts don't move like that. I mean do they not have sisters, girlfriends, wives...SOMEBODY they can reference? I mean maybe fake ones do but I have no experience with that. lol. Sadly with my personality (and I will say that my orientation might play a small role in that) I get distracted...but not happy distracted...annoyed distracted. Which isn't good when I'm trying to beat somebody's face in.

Edit: I forget how to do image tags once a month I swear..

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX The newest DoA is "in the round" (not sure about prior ones, Dimensions did not have this feature IIRC) so there's in addition to forward/backward, there is side stepping around the opponent as well. I don't think I've seen that in any other series. I haven't figured out the effective sidestep dodge though. It's a neat addition that sets it apart.

I am heartened to hear that I'm not the only one with KI issues. It really is a shame. The Shadow Lords metagame is really cool for a fighter (MvC3 and DB:FZ have metagames as well), but I can't manage the fighting.

Earthlock is still $30 huh? Looks really good though. As though I didn't already have a mammoth RPG backlog, I may have to add it to the list (after the current sale purchases, and after that, a KH Complete order for PS4. Sorry X1, but almost every other game goes to you, and I get all the prior KH's for $40 on that bundle..... Plus KH just feels kind of "Playstation" to me.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama I would think for hand size, actually, small would win for ball since that's always been the Japanese favorite and Japanese tend to skew smaller in features overall. Bats are for big dudebro American arcade maniacs (insert mohawk skateboarder hair and wallet chains imagery.) But I admit I'm curious. I tend to hold the stick with my fingertips on the ball (but for double-taps, whack it with my forehand/backhand (havent figured out DOA's up/down doubletap yet for sidesteps.)

Interesting description of the mindgames, that's interesting. It always seems like combo-maniacs are the way to play....I prefer a more thoughtful play as well. FWIW, I seem to do best with Dee-Jay and Chun-Li...though I haven't played much of the roster after the core SFII roster. If I had to pick just one main it's Dee-Jay. Not sure what that says about my play style?

Yeah DoA is truly soap opera, men and women are pure eye candy. But it does the soap thing so well in the new one it's actually kind of charming. The jiggle thing though, yeah, there's obsession there. It's also extremely weird looking, like theres a plate of jello stuffed in everyone's shirts [insert Bill Cosby joke.] It's not even attractive in a creepy otaku porny sense...it looks like an engine bug from the PS2 era. No idea why they stick with it.

I think you did the image tag right....but it didn't get the right link maybe?

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia The image worked for about 2 minutes then it went to untitled...it was likely too big. but it was the confused math lady meme. I'll replace it later.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Sidestepping and moving in circles has always been a thing in DOA... oops! Dead or Alive...
It obviously had to be, also due to the destructible surroundings and leveled platforms mechanics. A large part of that would simply have been impossible with an exclusively side-on view. And the changing camera angles make the crashes and drops all the more dramatic, although you'd probably label them as more "soapy-drama-ey"...

@Ryu_Niiyama Breasts aren't the only thing that are moving weirdly in fighting games. The completely unnatural wobbling from one foot to the other in classic 2D fighters, sometimes also with shoulders bobbing up and down in sync, has always annoyed me.

Here it is, in it's most grotesque, ridiculous form:

As a former martial arts practitioner myself, I always wondered why they made the characters do that.
Probably to make the characters look less static, when they're doing nothing, but it still looks dumb to me.
In real life, opponents only circle each other, or make faint moves, but I've never stood opposite someone who was doing some kind of dance with his entire body, while waiting for me to make a move...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic