Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 3,881 to 3,900 of 11,914

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Do we need slack? I'm an old-fashioned guy in that respect, and "slack" sounds just like another word for lazy or I don't want to go through all that "trouble" to me...

And I like clarity, both in my own comments, and in those of others that I read or that address me. I don't want to be guessing or Googling meanings of words or titles that I might not even care for in the first place; it's a waste of my time and precious energy...

And we may also be from the text walls, but at least that makes most of what we want to convey, clear as day.
Or so we hope, because sometimes, the format of the text wall is too much for all these tender souls nowadays, soliciting responses like TL;DR, another one of those capital offenses...

It must be the heat (it's 86°F over here) that's making me feel even more worse than just this topic alone is annoying the hell out of me: I may be getting older, but I'd like to think that I'm not THAT old yet, that I've already started to become a miserable old coot, continuously waving his finger at all these despicable young 'uns...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal Disembodied, whispering voice in your mind:
"come on, you know you want it. Press the button, buy it, buy it, buy it... "

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama I'm actually with you on the importance of the buttons, even as a novice. Technically you don't actually do much with the stick in a fighting game, and most of isn't that much easier than on a pad except for better absolutes on the diagonals with a square gate. But the buttons are everything. Of course I too often feel like I'm "mashing" more than knowing what I'm doing....but sometimes it's hard to tell in a fighting game what's "mashing" and what's "playing right" considering the amount of combos in most games that consist of "light punch 10 times fast"

Well...as for my FG cred, I'm a novice. I'd get hosed instantly online in most cases, I'm a masher in many regards, but I'm content I was able to beat USF2 on World Warrior difficulty multiple times with my two mains.....both on stick and joycons, so I guess I'm technically not terrible...I just feel terrible because I'm not a combo master.....and get decimated online by people who have played SF for 30 years. (I'm getting crushed in KI on medium though.) But yeah the Sanwa buttons have a really nice action point that you can kind of dance across the buttons rapidly very nicely.....even as a masher I can appreciate it! I've used them in the arcade (but the chairs are the wrong height there ) but feeling the difference at home, yeah, Hyabusas are kind of crummy. Some swear by them, but Sanwas for me (I still love that HRAP exists at all for Switch though, and I'm still hoping beyond hope Smash supports it. That would change my whole impression of Smash.) The Razer is almost identical to the TE2 for modability. The case opens pretty much the same way, with the addition of a hydraulic strut to hold it open...nice touch. Creaks on closing though. Never having touched a TE2 and looking at it online only I think it's probably easiest to think of the Atrox as TE2.5 It's almost identical, aesthetics/contours aside and a few QoL fit & finish updates (which is a good thing since Madcatz is gone!) ....and more lights....because Razer.

BTW, been debating about paying for full KI or not....I've been pretty on the fence. Then I picked the wrong character and it took me to the "you have to buy this character" menu...for giggles I clicked on the various character packs and clicked on the definitive edition and was greeted with a $10 price.....the sale started early! Well that's a no brainer! I have KI now (Debating about MKX for $10. Interesting to try, but I'm not sure MK will ever be my thing. Unfortunately Injustice and MvC:I I paid full price for last week are now on the sale...oh well!

Oh and DBZ:FZ is awesome! It joins Injustice and MvC in my favored list (Street Fighter is Street Fighter but I've decided to skip PS4 for fighters, so sorry Capcom...). KI...I don't know, I'm missing something. It's cool but I'm not understanding something important about the play. For $10, glad I have it though. I want to understand DoA a bit more....it's so different it's interesting. If you think Injustice is slow you must really hate DoA:Last Round.....but the whole "part boxer, part fighter" feel is interesting.

@ThanosReXXX TL;DR, but IKR? LMAO.
(And 86F is hot to you? Aren't you from CA? )

This is a heck of a sale, tons of stuff worth looking at. Some older stuff seems less interesting now. FFType0 interested me....then I realized, isn't that just a worse XV?

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal You know, Forza Horizon 3 Hot Wheels is SO much fun...

@NEStalgia I honestly can't even vividly remember California summers, just too long ago. All I remember is some foggy, mental images of Christmas under the palm trees, which was always weird to me...
(EDIT: well, that's not ALL I remember, but it is something that stands out, and remember: I was 9 when I left)

And over here, that temperature IS too hot. I can stand much higher temperatures when I'm abroad on holidays. Been to places like Turkey, Greece, Tunisia and so on, but over here, there's something about the semi-sea climate that makes the heat real sticky and stifling and energy-leeching, almost like having a hot, damp blanket around you all the time...

Today, is a bit more palatable than yesterday, but tomorrow and all of next week, temperatures are going to rise further, so I'm definitely NOT looking forward to that.

P.S.

Talking about TL;DR: you're really reaching new heights there, with your newly found fighting game addiction. Man, I tell ya...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal Like all the previous parts, 4 will more than likely also have its special events and DLC, although it sounds like they're predominantly going for the whole seasonal thing, so perhaps there's not going to be any similar DLC like in the previous installments.

Guess there's only one way to find out...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX That image of Christmas under the palm trees is the one and only thing that always kept me from being angry as a kid that I didn't live in warm place. I hate (hate hate hate hate hate) winter, but Christmas....just shouldn't be like that

Ahh it gets humid there....yeah I've heard that even though CA is hotter than here, it's dry heat. Here on the East coast you get that thick humidity. 86 still isn't bad, but once you get to 90+ humidity I've heard it feels worse than New Mexico at 105+

Haha, I'm not going to be hardcore fighting fan any time soon. I'm mostly interested in the story campaigns (for now) which is anathema to actual fighting fans (Online fighting with the lag though....that's really unfun a lot of times.) but I'm having fun with it, short as it is I'll certainly play the arcade modes a bit when I've exhausted story modes (KI has that cool rogue like thing though that makes it an infinitely playable story. Makes me want to like it more.) The RPGs/Open Worlds/Action Adventures are still my bread & butter. Racing & Fighting are fun alternatives though. That and I just love excuses to be using arcade sticks....grew up on the things. Even my NES and SNES were mainly run with my NES/SNES Advantage. I played nearly EVERYTHING with a stick (mostly platformers, and beat-em-ups I suppose. Forza and Halo are kind of hard to control with a joystick (I need an F1 racing game, don't they use a joystick in F1 cars? ) But the FG conversation with Ryu dates back to USFII and the HRAP being announced on Switch over a year ago

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, to put a bit of nuance to it: yesterday, I already had a weather/temperature discussion with our old friend rjejr, and what also factors in for me, is living on the fourth floor of a six storey (and very well-insulated) apartment building, so I'm right in the middle, and there's large windows on the front/street side, and on the other side of the apartment, I've got a couple of large, double-pane glass sliding doors leading to a balcony which hangs directly over one of Amsterdam's famous canals.

The position of the apartment, and the large glass surfaces on both sides, make it a heat trap. Just 1,5 hours ago, I went to buy some groceries, and I immediately noticed the difference again: it's also quite warm outside, but not as warm as on the fourth floor in my greenhouse apartment. And that's even with the balcony doors open, and the fan on the highest setting...

But you know, all weather and every season has its pros and cons. I like summer rain, but in the winter, I curse it. But I do like winter, and skiing, and snowboarding, and I like sitting around a cozy fire, enjoying a hot drink, alcoholic or chocolatey...

And autumn has all the wonderful colors, and spring is almost like the new beginning of life, in many ways. So, I can find joy in any of the four seasons, as long as it's not too hot and stifling...

But enough derailing already...

Concerning arcade sticks: I've never had one for any of my consoles. I only had arcade sticks for my Commodore Amiga, but ever since I hopped onto the Nintendo and Xbox train, I've always made do with what came with the console, and the odd steering wheel, every now and then. Got three of them in total...

And no, they don't use joysticks in F1 cars. We haven't got real-life F-Zero cars yet. Detachable steering wheels, yes. But you knew that already...

And the HRAP? Oh, great, more f-ing acronyms...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Ahh yeah, I know that heat effect with the windows. That does suck.
Snowboarding. Now there's something I never would have pictured for you Duuuuude. Are you sure you don't like Red Bull? More of a Mtn. Dew (because Mountain is too big to spell) guy then?

Hmm, I swore they had joysticks in F1 now. Must have been prototype cars I was seeing. But yeah, back in the 8/16 bit days picking up a controller felt weird to me....stick was everything! I even played RPGs with the stick. I loved that stick.

For those of you late to the conversation, it's the Hori Real Arcade Pro. And that's why it's just the HRAP.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia No snowboarding for me? But you would see me skiing? I'm beginning to wonder what kind of totally weird version of me I would come across, if I could take a peek inside your mind...

And Red Bull or Mountain Dew? How about neither? I don't like most of these energy drinks or sodas.
Half a lifetime ago, when I was still actively working out and doing my martial arts training, I did drink the odd energy (or rather: sports) drink but mostly Aquarius or Isostar.

But for winter sports, all I need is just some good slopes and good music to accompany me. And some beer or hot wine afterwards. Or Bacardi & Coke. That works for me in any climate or region...

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia P.S.

You actually could have guessed already that I like snowboarding, and/or winter sports, because you must surely have seen me be an advocate for bringing 1080 Snowboarding back to current Nintendo platforms, since I've already mentioned that dozens of times on Nintendo Life, in at least an equal amount of articles. Oh, and while we're at it: Wave Race too, if you happen to be monitoring us, Nintendo...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I tend to picture nobody over the age of 30 snowboarding/skateboarding. It's all guys with shaggy hair, baggy clothes, who guzzle redbull, and say things like "duuuuude" and "whoooh, sick!" I actually enjoy the idea and watching it (and enjoyed playing Steep and the Shaun White Wii game with the blanace board support), but actually doing it is another matter!

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, to be honest: I'm better at skiing, but I'm the worst combination you can imagine: of average skill, but fearless and speed demon regardless. So, suffice to say, that I've broken or bruised quite a few body parts already. Worst of which was a couple of ribs...

But it hasn't scared me off or slowed me down (yet). The only thing doing that right now, is my current financial situation, otherwise I would have already hit the slopes again...

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia P.S.

Blanace Board?

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Now THAT I can picture!

Blance Board. Balance Board, Beyonce Board...whatever. From now on it shall be know as the Wii BB!

NEStalgia

Zuljaras

Guys, I have a question/problem with updating games. In particular Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag.

For example my Diablo 3, Half-Life 2, Fable Anniversary had a pop-up and download at launch when I am connected to the internet. Assassins creed did not have such thing and I know that there is an update of 2.3GB. I have it on disc and it is installed on my Drive just the first disc because I do not want to play multiplayer but I still want the update because there are many bug fixes in there.

Any help in figuring out if your game is updated to its later version. It is hard to know if a game is updated or not. How to track this?

Also only speaking for Xbox 360 for the moment.

Edited on by Zuljaras

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Wii BB? Yet ANOTHER #@%$ acronym? Aaarrrgghh!!!

Oh, well, as long as it doesn't become a Blanche Board, 'cause that would make me feel REALLY old,
or dead...
Then again: the Wii most certainly WAS the "get all the elderly back in motion again" console...

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Are you talking about Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One, or on an actual Xbox 360?

On the Xbox One, go to the My Games & Apps page, and there, you scroll to your game, but DON'T select it. Instead, push the tiny button on the right of the Xbox button in the middle of the controller, and select "manage game". That should give you all the info you need. And on that same page, there's also an option on the left that shows any possible/optional updates for that game, so you could also check that.

On the Xbox 360, go to System Settings, then Storage, and then to the folder Games. In that folder, look up the game and then you should get to see all the files, saves and updates/patches included.

But normally, if you're online, and you start up the game on your Xbox 360, the game should automatically receive updates, and it will notify you if it does, so if there's no pop-up message for an update, then the game is already up to date.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Good thing we never get rid of consoles! What was old will be new again!

@Zuljaras I'm trying to remember the 360's interface on the desktop. If you select the game and hit select (or start?) does the context menu have an option to check for updates? On X1 there's a central updates panel in the games & apps page but I think on 360 it was per-game like it is on Switch and PS.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia No, there's no such thing on the Xbox 360. In that respect, the Xbox One is a bit more transparent, or difficult, depending on how you look at it, because it offers more management options, whereas the Xbox 360 would download most updates or patches automatically by default.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic