Forums

Topic: What games do you have on pre-order?

Posts 121 to 140 of 150

Kami2Kami

Yoshi Wooly World Bundle (+Green Yarn Yoshi Amiibo)
Splatoon Bundle (+Inkling Amiibo and T-Shirt)
Codename STEAM
Xenoblade X
Zelda U

Systems: Wii U, Wii, New 3DS Ambassador Edition, 2DS
Amiibo Collection: Villager, Rosalina, Zelda, Sheik, Toon Link, Link, Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina, Pit, Shulk, Fox, Yoshi, Toad, Squid Inkling, Meta Knight, Ganondorf (pre-ordered), Yarn Yoshi (pre-ordered)

Nintendo Network ID: Kami2Kami

CanisWolfred

DefHalan wrote:

Plus I am not even sure why there is such a negative view on Pre-Orders.

Largely because it's unnecessary and rewards developers for bullshots and releasing unfinished games, as well as ripping out stuff that will clearly be ready for the full game's release to use as "pre-order incentives", with the only other major benefit is you get it early, though at a higher price. But without Pre-orders, a lot of these guys wouldn't survive (albeit by no one's fault but their own). It's a 'necessary evil' of the industry at this point, though some publishers are smart enough to offer knick-knacks at no extra cost for pre-orders as well, which is always nice for those who are into that stuff, and largely harmless for the rest of us. You can always sell it on eBay if you don't want it. I got a whole drawer full of crap to sell, actually...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

yokokazuo

I currently don't have any games pre-ordered. The only time I pre-order is usually if there is something extra. I think the last time I did pre-order was Smash Bros for Wii U to make sure I could get a copy with a GameCube adapter at launch. And I've always been too late to pre-order amiibo... (I don't think EB Games even announce when pre-orders open up... So I hope I can find the Splatoon ones at launch.)

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

DefHalan

CanisWolfred wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Largely because it's unnecessary and rewards developers for bullshots and releasing unfinished games, as well as ripping out stuff that will clearly be ready for the full game's release to use as "pre-order incentives", with the only other major benefit is you get it early, though at a higher price. But without Pre-orders, a lot of these guys wouldn't survive (albeit by no one's fault but their own). It's a 'necessary evil' of the industry at this point, though some publishers are smart enough to offer knick-knacks at no extra cost for pre-orders as well, which is always nice for those who are into that stuff, and largely harmless for the rest of us. You can always sell it on eBay if you don't want it. I got a whole drawer full of crap to sell, actually...

I understand the dislike for pre-order incentives but pre-ordering doesn't give developers any extra money. Developers only get money for selling copies. I don't think there is anything wrong with Pre-Orders, what you described (outside the pre-order incentives) sounds more like early access games.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

unrandomsam

DefHalan wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

I understand the dislike for pre-order incentives but pre-ordering doesn't give developers any extra money. Developers only get money for selling copies. I don't think there is anything wrong with Pre-Orders, what you described (outside the pre-order incentives) sounds more like early access games.

The problem is once they have your money where is the incentive to make the game better - if people just pre-order anyway based on hype that happens. The time and money can be spent on advertising and looking for how to set the review copy terms so as to keep the act up.

(The same doesn't apply for e.g Blu-Ray Movies or TV Boxed Sets because they cannot use the same tactics. It either was on TV or in Cinema's previously).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

DefHalan

unrandomsam wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

The problem is once they have your money where is the incentive to make the game better - if people just pre-order anyway based on hype that happens. The time and money can be spent on advertising and looking for how to set the review copy terms so as to keep the act up.

(The same doesn't apply for e.g Blu-Ray Movies or TV Boxed Sets because they cannot use the same tactics. It either was on TV or in Cinema's previously).

They don't get your money until you buy the game.

Ralizah

Senran Kagura: Double-D Edition
Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4)

Once I get those paid off, I'm probably going to preorder Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls and Xenoblade Chronicles X (once it gets a release date, at least).

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CanisWolfred

DefHalan wrote:

I understand the dislike for pre-order incentives but pre-ordering doesn't give developers any extra money.

It guarantees day one sales, which are the most sales they're ever going to have at one time, so...yes, yes it does. The other popular option is to buy the game on sale months later. The publishers want fast returns for the millions they spent, and if things go south (i.e. the game is unfinished upon release), they may still be able to get enough sales before word gets around if they convinced enough people to pre-order. Again, though, it's a cycle caused by the publishers, and it's become how the AAA industry works. Smaller publishers rely on Pre-orders, too, but more for what they've always been for: The get people early adopters who will spread the word about their game and let people know how it's an essential purchase (or at least that's the plan). This of course excluding the Early Access guys, though...that's another kettle of fish entirely...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

DefHalan

People buying products without researching them is not the fault of the person producing the product, it is the fault of the people buying the product. Pre-Ordering doesn't equal more day 1 sales, all Pre-Ordering does is allow consumers to make sure they can get a copy of a game the day it comes out. Those customers are most likely going to buy the game day one whether they pre-order it or not. Pre-Ordering doesn't equate to more sales, especially with how easy it is to cancel a pre-order. Pre-Order incentives may cause more day one purchases but those that would buy a game for the Pre-order incentive are most likely going to buy the game at some point. Pre-ordrs don't mean much, it is consumer habits. If tomorrow stores stopped taking pre-orders, we would still see tons of people buying games without waiting for reviews or doing any research.

CanisWolfred

DefHalan wrote:

Pre-ordrs don't mean much, it is consumer habits. If tomorrow stores stopped taking pre-orders, we would still see tons of people buying games without waiting for reviews or doing any research.

I guess that's true, but I feel like it's something that publishers have learned to amplify and manipulate. But I have no further proof of that at the moment, so I'll bow out for now...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

unrandomsam

The information doesn't exist to do the research by day one.

There is PR and Reviews/Previews (Which might as well be PR - the customers of those people are the advertisers (Who in turn are the publishers) for most part).

Edited on by unrandomsam

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Nicolai

At any place I go to, you can cancel your pre-order up to the point you pick it up. So, therefore, a pre-order is not ethically different from a day-one purchase, right? That being said, I, for one, don't take the public's view of the game very seriously, as they are not often congruent with my own reflections. I mostly go by released footage of the game. I sometimes look at online reviews if I'm on the fence, which usually take place before the release date. Therefore, it will not make any difference whether I make the decision to purchase it the day of release or 6 months after, other than that I want to play it right away. The advantage of the pre-order is that the games go to people gradually, and not as a first-come first-serve bloodbath like amiibo do (they only do because they're all the more popular, rare, and collectible).

However, the only title I have for pre-order is Splatoon, cuz there is not much else out there right now.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

JaxonH

Too many to list. But I'll try my best!

Splatoon
Xenoblade X
SMT x Fire Emblem
Rhodea Sky Soldier (both versions)
Yoshi's Wooly World
Devil's Third
Zelda U
Mario Maker
Legend of Kay HD

Puzzles & Dragons Z
Fire Emblem 14

Halo 5
Crackdown 3
Phantom Dust
Quantuum Break
Scalebound
Rise of the Tomb Raider

Kingdom Hearts 3
Final Fantasy 15
Witcher 3
Batman Arkham Knight
Uncharted 4
MGSV
Rainbow Six Siege
Street Fighter V
Dragon Quest Heroes
Darksiders 2

All wave 4 Amiibo

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

SuperWiiU

Project Cars for PC. But I might cancel that and wait until I've upgraded my processor.
I'll pre-order Rodeo Sky Solder WiiU+Wii Limited Edition if I can find it at a local store for a good price.

Edited on by SuperWiiU

Jaz007

@DefHalan It does make it easier to gauge how many people want a game at a retailer though, so they can better gauge how to supply stores so people can get it on day one.

Jaz007

DefHalan

Jaz007 wrote:

It does make it easier to gauge how many people want a game at a retailer though, so they can better gauge how to supply stores so people can get it on day one.

Which is a good thing.

NinjaWaddleDee

JaxonH wrote:

Too many to list. But I'll try my best!

Splatoon
Xenoblade X
SMT x Fire Emblem
Rhodea Sky Soldier (both versions)
Yoshi's Wooly World
Devil's Third
Zelda U
Mario Maker
Legend of Kay HD

Puzzles & Dragons Z
Fire Emblem 14

Halo 5
Crackdown 3
Phantom Dust
Quantuum Break
Scalebound
Rise of the Tomb Raider

Kingdom Hearts 3
Final Fantasy 15
Witcher 3
Batman Arkham Knight
Uncharted 4
MGSV
Rainbow Six Siege
Street Fighter V
Dragon Quest Heroes
Darksiders 2

All wave 4 Amiibo

Well crap... that sure is a lot of games! I've got Splatoon, and both Inkling amiibos on order. As soon as that game releases, and I see when the rest of the Wii U games are coming out, then I'll start saving money again. So far, the only PS4 games I want this year are Bloodborne and Tearaway Unfolded. Although I'll wait for a discount on both. Usually I wait for a discount on PS4 games, but I buy Nintendo games day 1 because they don't go down in price for like YEARS.

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

NinjaWaddleDee

CanisWolfred wrote:

I forgot, I pre-ordered Splatoon 2 months ago. Huh...

Yeah, my hype has really died down for that game lately. That's why I won't be watching the direct. Too much information already.

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic