Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 7,661 to 7,680 of 16,083

CanisWolfred

Checked out the latest trailer of Metal Gear Survive's singleplayer campaign...I'm still not feeling this one. I can see where they're going with it, why they think it'd work and be appealing to MGS fans, but eh...it just looks too boring. Like, I'd rather play No Man's Sky instead. Maybe if I played it co-op I'd get something out of it, but I don't know anyone who'd be interested, and I still wouldn't pay much for it...

Paragon:

I played a few bad matches where I decided maybe I should play Twinblast again. I have nothing against the character, but I've seen so many obnoxious Twinblast players that I got sick of him and stopped playing him out of spite. Someone else beat me to the punch, so I picked solo lane. That's meant for mele characters, but since it was vs AI, Twinblast's player decided to steal my lane, possibly so he could use me as a shield while he farms minions, effectively stealing gold I desperately need to buld health and defense so I could do my job as a tank. Put up with that once today, and I lost every teamfight. It's like I shouldn't have bothered showing up. I don't know why they do this, it never works once their opponent hits level 5, and then we lose a tower. :/

This time I figured...I have a card called coinmaster, and so I get extra gold periodically. Why not just quit and come back in 5 minutes? He'll have to switch lanes to help left lane, I mean, they'll struggle regardless. I can't go over there until I hit level 5, or I'll just feed the enemy DPS - I need that ultimate for the character I was playing.

So I do that, do the dishes, come back...it's a mess. Apparently the game glitched out hard after I quit. Twinblast couldn't hit the broad side of a barn due to lag. Gideon is floating. Our jungler had to reset. 3 of the enemies stayed at their base so we lucked out there, but Gadget had to manage the entire thing for a while. Twinblast quit as soon as I got back. I feel so bad. I mean, we won. I farmed my initial lane and had a huge edge over my opponent, who finally left base. Twinblast leaving meant another AI was inactive for a time, and overall I got to finish the map without him. Or Gideon, who went with a DPS build for some stupid reason, anyways. He's a mage that chucks meteors, why would you purposely limit that for the sake shooting tiny blast slightly faster than normal? Instead he got to float in a corner, occasionally firing tiny blasts at nothing so he doesn't get penalized.

I wanted to teach a single team member a lesson, but I could not even imagine the consequences that effected my entire team. I guess I should've realized it was a team game and stop worrying about personal glory...although it was way more fun this way. Not gonna lie, the AI is kind of dumb. I was actually afraid of Shinbi and Muriel for a while, despite them having the borkiest AI in the game. Shinbi literally wastes half if her mana before she even gets to her lane. It's like an in-joke. Yet at one point she actually forced me to scramble for an invisibility buff, since just a few hits would've been enough to kill me and send me back to base. She also had 10 kills before I got back. I don't want to know how that was possible.

and before anyone asks: That was a known issue. It's happened to me before. I've even been that guy who was stuck with extremely limited movement before, like Gideon there. Really sucks. Suddenly the game becomes a snail sim.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

YummyHappyPills wrote:

Gotta say, I thought Tokyo Mirage Sessions was far too Japan for my tastes, but this...jesus.

?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ralizah

@Snaplocket I mean, it's definitely Japanese. It's a Japanese game made by Japanese people that comments on Japanese society.

TMS was about idol culture, though, which is much more uniquely Japanese as a social context than what is in this game.

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah @Snaplocket Yeah, TMS was...something I didn't expect when you cross FE and SMT, it's very JPop and anime and dare I say visually loud?

Persona 5 is kinda the same. It's got a super anime thing going on and the presentation is just...what. It's mad!

Not that super anime/absurdly stylised things are bad, they are just a bit of a sensory overload for me. The reason I say it's "Too Japanese" is that's typically my response to anime. I can only go so far into a culture and man, TMS and Persona 5 really want you to like anime.

On that note @CanisWolfred care to explain your remark?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@YummyHappyPills Oh, yeah. modern Persona games are known for being way over-the-top in terms of how completely they commit to a certain sense of style. Persona 5 is basically an interactive anime filled with hyper-stylized animations and UI elements, as well as hosting an almost overwhelmingly jazzy soundtrack.

It's all business as usual to me, but then, I've played Persona games before, and have been a general weeb for so many years now that I can actually feel kind of weird and uncomfortable playing a lot of western AAA games. Not a fan of the gun fetishism often on display and the grizzled white dudes walking around mumbling to themselves.

Have you ever played a mainline SMT game?

Edited on by Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah Never played SMT either.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@YummyHappyPills They might be more your speed. The aesthetic is still obviously Japanese, but they're very subdued in comparison to something like Persona 5 or Tokyo Mirage Sessions (or, hell, Xenoblade Chronicles 2). There's no J-Pop, flashy outfits, chaotic battle U.I.s, etc. The narratives and characters are also much more grounded.

CanisWolfred

@YummyHappyPills Yeah, I saw a bunch of walls of text pertaining to Detroit whatever that felt like a lot of strawman/mountains-out-of-molehills and I added you to my ignore list. I think I might've overreacted, though. I just kind of assumed the worst because its the internet and some of your posts in this had rubbed me the wrong way before.

But now we're talking about SMT and I cannot resist that siren song.

...hopefully I don't regret it.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

Holly new recipes.

Episode Ignis for FF15 adds an alternative ending to the main game. That's insane. I'm gonna have to go and play it pronto. Or Prompto.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@CanisWolfred I have to say, your obsession with Paragon makes me want to try it. There's no single player or offline mode, right? I don't have PS+ unfortunately.

@Ralizah I want to try Persona 5 some day, it's definitely pretty cheap these days. Maybe next year...

Octane

Ralizah

There are several 2017 PS4 games I still want to play next year:

• Nier: Automata
  • Horizon: Zero Awards
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Yakuza 0 + Kiwami
  • The rest of Gravity Rush 2

@Octane Just clear out your schedule before you do. It's a long game.

...unless you pull some time dilation BS like you apparently do with Pokemon games.

Edited on by Ralizah

TuVictus

This question popped into my head, and I was wondering:

Are there any games that most people agree takes a good amount of time before it really hooks you in?

I'm wording it poorly, but what games do you find yourselves telling others "Just stick with it and you'll love it". Games that may seem to start off poorly but rewards those who stick with it by becoming something very good as it goes on.

I asked myself this since I start a bunch of games, but will often just drop them if they don't seem immediately engaging, and I'm hoping to remedy that.

TuVictus

Grumblevolcano

@Operative2-0 Many say the opening of Twilight Princess goes on too long so that I guess counts?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Operative2-0 I mean, I think, unless you're absolutely hating it, that you should give almost any game you're interested in a few hours to grab you. The problem is these games where people insist you half to play halfway in before they start to "get good."

If it's happening A LOT, maybe you're bored with gaming right now and should step away from actively playing for a while. Do you have any other hobbies?

Octane

@Ralizah I know, that's the problem. And even without knowing that Nintendo is going to bring in 2018, it's already looking like a busy year. Maybe if the latter half of 2018 is exceptionally quiet...

Hey, give me any RPG I can clear in an afternoon, and I'll play it

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane It's the best game I've played on PS4. Absolutely worth making time for.

But I get it. Same reasoning that has kept me from The Witcher 3! Inordinately long games can be problematic if there's a bunch of other stuff you want to play first.

TuVictus

@Ralizah I think it's a combination of things. I know it's not just gaming in general, since I still jump on hype trains and truly special games like BOTW or Mario seem to have no issue keeping me engaged to the credits. Personally, I think it's more that as I've gotten older, my ability to throw myself into a game's world or narrative has gotten rusty, and if the game doesn't come out of the gate swinging, it's easier for me to drop it and forget about it, excluding, of course, the major franchises from Nintendo.

I also really think I should get tested for ADD, but for a myriad of other reasons non-related to gaming. But if I did test positive for it, I think it would explain a good amount of my gaming habits, haha

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Grumblevolcano

@Octane I think Switch 2018 is going to be as hectic as 2017, maybe even more so given the Switch exists for 2 more months this year. Stuff like the Bayonetta reveals at the Game Awards (especially 1+2 for February 2018) and the update/DLC content announced so far for December 2017 and January/February 2018 makes me think Nintendo are taking a very strong "no gaps" approach.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Octane Yeah I have that problem too. I'm looking forward to it but TMS:FE sucked me in for months last year, and P5 is a bigger game, so I keep trying to clear more backlog first. And then Xenoblade 2 dropped.... I went all in with the Take Your Heart edition and haven't popped the cellophane.

I haven't even touched FFXV yet. Then again they haven't finished making it yet... Maybe I'll wait for the complete edition on Switch.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic