Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 7,641 to 7,660 of 16,083

Haruki_NLI

@Dezzy Sure, its entirely possible it is. 2000 pages of script afterall.

Its also David Cage. Subtlety of a sledgehammer and all that.

As I said though, he tackles some subjects that regardless of which game it is, could be a little on the nose for some. That's part of the charm I suppose
As I said, some people wont care and thats great. But you also need to consider not everyone is the same so there will be people turned off by the game due to its thematics.

And again, thats fine if you arent. Im not saying its wrong. Im saying you should expect with difficult themes in anything that people can be turned away either due to personal experiences, being wimps, or its just not their cup of tea as a game.

Like for me, victim of domestic abuse. Still got the PTSD. Upon knowing this is in the game Im not too keen on getting it, and you can say "oh get over it" but its not so simple. I handle things differently to you. For a personal reason and the multitude of difficult themes in the games David Cage makes, I simply choose to stay away, because for me and others, we arent comfortable with that.

For others it could be a simple aversion to adult games. There are people like that too.

For others it could be because they simply arent a fan of this kind of interactive experience.

I mean sure, you can sit there and say "Oh, its just outrage media itll be fine" but thats being disingenuous to the people who will, for legitimate reasons look at the game and say, for me, as an individual, at this time in my life or based on my experiences, is a bit much at this current time.

And there will be others in the exact same position who will say, for me, as an individual, at this point in my life or based on my experiences, this game is right up my street and Im getting it day one.

The game has every right to do what it wants, and I won't take that away from anyome.

But when a game presents tough themes, you need to respect that it wont be for everyone. Sure the outrage media is stupid, but that isnt the be all end all.

Remember on PS I posted about this same thing and got s*** for it. Told to man up. "Oh Ive been through domestic violence and Im picking it up". Great for you! You moved on in a way that benefits you. That doesnt work for everyone though. Im not taking it away from you.

But again, please consider that there will be people who for completely legitimate reasons will skip this game, because everyone is different, and its not a good idea nor helpful to disrespect them, because for someone like me, its based entirely on how I feel at the time, and Im not yet ready.

Again, its going to be a few people of millions yes, and the outrage media will likely be bigger, but I was simply giving reasons as to why someone would skip the game. They didnt say it had to be likely, but it is a genuine reason to.

The more likely reason someone would skip the game is probably because David Cage experiences arent their cup of tea.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

NEStalgia

@YummyHappyPills Ahh, fortunately that doesn't cause any issues for me....I was afraid a game I was hyped for I'd have to get unhyped for Though that's surprising that's the case, I mean I can imagine it having involvement in what is basically a future-crime-noire, but it didn't seem like a game that was going to touch on anything like that, it seemed more conspiracy-oriented. I can't imagine it's more than a passing scene, even for people that don't want to see it....but as someone who avoids horror at any cost, I'm not one to talk Can't. Take. Horror. At all.

Plus I've never played a David Cage game....Heavy Rain seemed too suspense for my liking.

Yeah I think what you're describing is different from "outrage media"....it's just "serious drama piece" that will have a theme some like and some don't like most serious movies. The fact that some like it and some don't is exactly why we rarely see serious movies anymore...everything has to be sanitized until it's mass market for everyone and never not for someone because it must sell, sell, SELL! Meanwhile it lost all value because if something is for everyone, then it's really for noone when it comes to storytelling (Mario is for everyone but it's not trying to tell a story beyond basic framing.) The "outrage media' is more about "this character is discriminatory/racist/exclusionary/they use the wrong PC word and you should be offended!" Hot button sellable political topic du-jour hype rather than "serious themes will always have a set audience" issues.

That said, I'm still curious if it really has very much of that element at all...it seems to sit at odds with the core theme of the game.

@Octane Skyrim of course...already have that one. Haven't started it yet though.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

YummyHappyPills wrote:

I mean sure, you can sit there and say "Oh, its just outrage media itll be fine" but thats being disingenuous to the people who will, for legitimate reasons look at the game and say, for me, as an individual, at this time in my life or based on my experiences, is a bit much at this current time.

It's not disingenuous though because those people who fit that category need nothing more from the media except the simple information explaining the content. Which the developers provided with a trailer.
Everything after that is superfluous demagoguery.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

link3710

@Dezzy You and them aren't arguing the same point. They're trying to say that they and other people personally don't want to play the game knowing about the content, while you're trying to argue about the media outrage, which they aren't even discussing.

link3710

Haruki_NLI

@Dezzy I wouldn't say that.

You can explain the context of the content just fine. Ultimately though, the issue of domestic violence, regardless of context, is going to be sensitive for some.

If you really believe that victims of DV should play a game with that content in it, regardless of if it makes them uncomfortable or not, then fine, that's your belief. I personally believe that even with context, it is down to the user if they feel they can take in and appreciate the context of the scenario, and feel comfortable doing so.

For instance, you wont get me sitting down and playing a game with abuse towards children in it. Long and short of that is no, I won't, I am not comfortable with that.

HOWEVER, that is not saying it is inappropriate content or should not be in the game or the industry. That is me saying, this isn't for me, I have my reasons, can you please respect that? I'm not part of the outrage media, in fact I'm quite trigger happy in games, I mow people down in GTA, I will probably take the "Kill them" option 90% of the time because at the end of the day it's a video game, it is code, and polygons.

The difference is you put me in front of that domestic violence situation, I wouldn't respond well. I got flashbacks just from the trailer, and yes in the context of the game it isn't real, but at this stage of my life I don't want to be sat with a controller in my hand watching domestic violence towards children, even if it is just one tiny scenario, play out on my TV before my eyes.

When I have recovered? Maybe. We need to see.

But here you are, saying, oh, just take it in context. I AM taking it in context and it makes me uncomfortable, and not in a "Make you think" kind of way, which is the intended purpose. It makes me uncomfortable because I have been there, thank you for reminding me, now I'm shaking and checking my little sister is okay every 10 minutes.

You have to understand, that even with context, even with the explanation, there are people who simply cannot handle it at the moment. But that's not to say "Don't put it in the game". No, not at all. That's to say, put it in the game, it's a part of the vision. Keep it in.

What it IS saying, is hey, maybe you shouldn't write off mental illnesses and trauma from events and then expect people to somehow not use that as a perfectly valid reason not to buy something.

Dezzy

@link3710 @YummyHappyPills

Yeah, my point was only about the sensationalist media stoking outrage for clicks, cos that's what all they do nowadays.
I don't care whether anyone plays it or not. People can avoid it on the grounds that David Cage is ugly if they want.

NEStalgia

@YummyHappyPills Great job articulating your point. Too many people don't do so (which is what spawns the "outrage media" to begin with.)

I think what summarizes your point and @Dezzy's differen't point is:
"HOWEVER, that is not saying it is inappropriate content or should not be in the game or the industry. That is me saying, this isn't for me, I have my reasons, can you please respect that? I'm not part of the outrage media, in fact I'm quite trigger happy in games, I mow people down in GTA, I will probably take the "Kill them" option 90% of the time because at the end of the day it's a video game, it is code, and polygons."

Your position is perfectly logical. The "outrage media" dezzy is talking about DOES want to make the point is that it is inappropriate content and should not exist in the game. They always argue that everything should be sanitized until it "offends no one". So ultimately you and dezzy are already on the same side of the debate.

@link3710 called that correctly.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Dezzy You're discriminating against ugly people. That is inappropriate! I need to bang aout a 30000 word essay on Gawker about appearance bias on internet forums now. TRIGGERED>

NEStalgia

link3710

Hey question for you people. So I'm considering getting a PS4 (finally) due to a mix of KH, Digimon, Crash, Persona, LG, .hack//, Horizon and FF being enough to make me start looking. As someone who hasn't played anything but Nintendo and PC since the PS2 days, I'm just wondering if there's anything I should be aware of jumping in? I know there's a paid subscription for internet services, but not sure if there's anything else I need to be aware of? Like, considering I have no interest in online multiplayer games (as I'll get them on PC), is there any reason I should still spend the money on PS+? Oh, and is there any point in the PS Pro if my TV is still 720p? Most of the articles at the Pro's launch suggest no, but wasn't sure if that's changed.

link3710

TheMoonWizard77

@link3710 First of all, no there's probably no point in getting the PS4 Pro because of your TV. Save money and just get the standard PS4. The only reason you might want PS+ is the couple of free games they give out each month. You might want to see what kind of games they've been offering and see if you're interested. Personally, I have PS+ because I play a lot of online games like Destiny 2 and Titanfall 2. The free games don't usually interest me. Other than that, the PS4 is a fantastic system with a huge library of good games. I'd definitely recommend Horizon Zero Dawn. One of the best games of the year and the best game on PS4. I haven't played Persona 5 but a lot of people love it. You also might like Nier: Automata if you haven't played it.

TheMoonWizard77

Ralizah

@link3710 PS+ gets you access to free games every month (that are available as long as you're a subscriber), some pretty steep discounts during sales (sometimes up to 20% more off the sale price of an item), and cloud saves. If you see yourself buying discounted digital games, then it pretty much pays for itself.

A year long subscription is actually on sale for $40 right now on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Year-PlayStation-Plus-Membership-Digit...

There are some enhancements to certain games if you're using a Pro. The remake of Shadow of the Colossus will run at 60fps on the Pro versus 30fps on the vanilla PS4, for example. Other games might smooth out framerate hitches or raise the resolution somewhat. I don't think it's really worthwhile if you don't own a 4KTV, though, considering the difference in price.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@link3710 @720 I'd probably skip the pro unless you planned on getting PSVR at some point. Personally the fake 4k on the Pro isn't really worth it in 4k either, and I'm not a true believer in 4k gaming. At 720p games still don't look CLOSE to as good as film at 720p. Shouldn't we be focusing on getting at least as good as 720p film for visuals before we worry about ramping resolution upward? 4k is silly for gaming (not silly for film but that's a different point.)

However to me the pro advantage is 3 things: Faster load times (it seriously is faster at loading....), and improved framerate stability and/or visuals on 1080p games. At 720 though I'm not sure it would actually matter. If you plan on going VR or 1080p though it may be worth considering depending on price diff.

I don't play online and haven't had + in years. Haven't missed anything and never missed out on games. I may subscribe this year just to play a few VR games online I haven't been able to yet, but I will be grumpy about that ridiculous $60 fee.

My glut of Switch games made my PS4 collect a lot of dust, and I don't like most of the 3rd party games (the ones you have on PC no doubt) but the PS exclusive library has really blossomed in the past 2 years. It's a much better system than was PS3.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Thanks for the tip about the PS+ sale! I was bummed i missed the black friday sale and THEN discovered I might want to try the VR games online. It's not quite the $35 it was on black friday, but I'll take it! (I feel kind of dirty subscribing again....)

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia You're welcome!

I'm surprised how often it has gone on sale this year. A few times the last few months. And $40 is a pretty decent price for PS+... if I played my PS4 more, it'd be a no brainer. I think $40 is probably what it should be all the time.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

That is inappropriate! I need to bang aout a 30000 word essay on Gawker about appearance bias on internet forums now.

They were killed by Peter Thiel because they said he was gay with Hulk Hogan and he wanted to drink their blood for revenge.
I think that's what happened.

link3710

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I'm going to wait for the PS4 to go on sale again before buying, but I'm sure it'll hit a good price point bundled with something at some point this year.

link3710

NEStalgia

@Ralizah $40 is what it was the last time I paid....as the full price.... it was gross when they started raising it to subsidize games. But at least I can feel less guilty (Nintendo's $20 sounds better all the time.)

@Dezzy LOL.....one of these days we should chip in and buy Theil a virtual beer for taking down a menace to human civilization, regardless the reasons. If only Kotaku and the rest of the Gawker family could go with it.

NEStalgia

Octane

@link3710 I believe the MSRP for the Pro (1TB) is only $50 more than the vanilla PS4 (1TB), and some games also offer increased framerate for non-4K users. It has some other benefits as well, like some extra ports on the back, it's quieter, 1080p remote play and video recording, etc. And in the case you ever upgrade your TV, you're future-proofed.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@CanisWolfred And what's that supposed to mean?

Anyway, in PS4 relevant news, I played some Persona 5 with my friend who loves the game, and it's my first experience to the sub-series/spin-off that it is.

Gotta say, I thought Tokyo Mirage Sessions was far too Japan for my tastes, but this...jesus.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic