Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 7,681 to 7,700 of 16,084

Dezzy

Operative2-0 wrote:

This question popped into my head, and I was wondering:

Are there any games that most people agree takes a good amount of time before it really hooks you in?

Yes, that's happened a lot to me over the years.

-Twilight Princess
-Dark Souls
-Mount and Blade
-Dragon Age Origins
-FF6

I didn't see what on earth people liked about any of these on my initial playthrough and basically gave up and then tried again later, persevered, and absolutely loved them all.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TuVictus

@Dezzy Thanks for the list! I completely feel you on Dark Souls. But it first took the form of Bloodborne. But once I had someone literally walk me through the opening parts of the game, it made the rest, and every other DS game I played, much more enjoyable

TuVictus

-Green-

Is there anywhere we can watch the conference?

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

NEStalgia

That would be pretty cool if we actually got DS. Feels like a very Switch-friendly game. I'd be more likely to play it here than PS.

NEStalgia

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah Maybe SMT is more up my street then. Ill wait for V in that case.

@CanisWolfred Look, block me for stating an opinion a lot of others agree with, that's fine. Block me for simply statibg an opinion. You don't like my opinion on Detroit. Fine. Remember I have said repeatedly that I won't be happy if they remove stuff from the game either, just that said content isn't for me. It has the right to exist, just at this time, I won't be playing it for personal reasons.

On topic of SMT though, and I guess Dark Souls, how well would ports of those do? I know Dark Souls would set PS4 on fire but other systems?

Seems like the perfect way to test Switch warranties.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@-Green- Pretty sure it's only open to the press.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

-Green-

@Ralizah ah. I thought so. That’s boring

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

CanisWolfred

Octane wrote:

@CanisWolfred I have to say, your obsession with Paragon makes me want to try it. There's no single player or offline mode, right? I don't have PS+ unfortunately.

@Ralizah I want to try Persona 5 some day, it's definitely pretty cheap these days. Maybe next year...

It's free to play, so I don't think you need PS+? Don't quote me on that, though. I do know that PS+ players get a couple extra character skins, though. But that might be due to the fact that there's also a Steam version. PC version's suffering the most in terms of stability right now, unfortunately.

Also: The tutorial is garbage. I'm just gonna say it. Feel free to ask me some questions if you try it, since you might need it.

If you do try it, I recommend playing Solo vs AI for a while until you're reasonably comfortable with at least 3 characters - that way you can set the difficulty instead of being thrown to the sharks like I've seen happen to so many thus far. I also believe lower difficulty AI matches have their own tutorial/objectives for you to follow, unless they took that out?

Ranged Carries like Murdock and Twinblast are usually easy enough to figure out, though do be warned that in PVP, it's Ambush city without a support. You should probably try playing Phase, too. She's a great healing support geared towards helping DPS characters. Gideon drops meteors, but you gotta have good aim. I honestly suck hard with him, but he's a common midlane pick. The solo lane is meant for melee bruisers and tanks, though there are a few assassins who work well over there. Just follow your marker and you should figure out where to go.

Also, the support deck is the only default deck with vision wards now, which is really a shame. You kind of need them so you can push safely into enemy territory. Otherwise, you gotta try to move in groups unless you're confident you know where all of the enemies are by looking at the minimap. You don't see that much in AI matches, but in PvP, it's the only way to keep your team organized without, you know, just getting 4 friends together and communicating via mics...

Only other thing I'll say right now is that it's a complicated game, but also simple by MOBA standards. Expect a few hard losses, but always try to work with your team and try your best. Even if one of your teammates thinks he's rambo and keeps charging Murdock with Gideon, while spending all of his credits on agility and potions instead of anything that would be useful to a mage, and now Murdock is fed so fat he's an unkillable god going 20/0. Even in that situation, you can still win if an opportunity arises and everyone works together.

...also, try to not be that Gideon in that scenario. Just put points in stuff that'll get you cards.

@Operative2-0

Western RPGs in a nutshell, at least from my experiences with them. I get that they want to give players time to get a feel for things and explore the various options, flesh out the world, usually without forcing any choices on the player...but I dunno, I usually think it takes too long to get interesting. The few where I've made it past that point I genuinely think are great, but I prefer JRPGs since they always manage to do all of that with tighter pacing and potentially interesting characters and motivations to drive the plot forward. I know it might be a matter of taste, but to me, the question I go into with a game is "what is the hook? What makes it different?"

The games you've described to me are usually the games that fail to present that hook early enough in the story for me to feel invested. Not always - Tales of the Abyss, for instance, I only struggled to enjoy because of its main character, and I came to love the game once said character finally started to realize the error of his ways and made a genuine effort to become a better person.

@YummyHappyPills Like I said, I think I overreacted, and for that, I apologize.

As for ports...they're never really system sellers, as I understand it. From what I've heard, it's more about cost-effectiveness - could they do it so that even a few thousand sales could break even?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

That would be pretty cool if we actually got DS. Feels like a very Switch-friendly game. I'd be more likely to play it here than PS.

My prediction is it'll be 30fps on Switch, 60fps on PS4. I'd have to go with PS4 in such a situation.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@CanisWolfred That's great news! I haven't had the time to check it out yet, but I will make sure I do.

Octane

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano It's nice that we're getting another beta that isn't hidden behind a paywall.

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah You mean how it should have been initially?

Haruki_NLI

@CanisWolfred Entirely possible. At the same time...how many of the non-paying PS4 users are going to play Monster Hunter? It's not exactly a broad appeal game.

I suppose I just don't agree with paying for online anyway. I at least think if you have a beta (Or better, this rare thing called a demo), it should be open to everyone from the start.

Ralizah

I wouldn't mind PS+ so much if there were tiers. I don't actually need online multiplayer for most of my games, but I enjoy the discounts, cloud saves, etc. Having one price for everything seems inelegant, and instead of getting some of my money they're getting none.

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah Plus there comes a point where the free games are...being paid for over and over again, instead of a one off purchase. You have to keep paying and if at any point you stop...you lose the games.

For me, it wasn't worth it. I wasn't paying £50 a year for a handful of games I'd only play once. I'd rather pay £50, buy it, play it when I want, than have to pay £50 for when I want to play it.

Octane

@Ralizah That's what I've been saying for years, and I hope Nintendo makes the difference. Let the end user decide what they want. Now you're paying €60 a year for a bunch of 'free' games if you just want cloud saves for example. I get the games I want to play often day one, so I don't care for the PS+ games, but I presume that's where most of the money goes to.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic