Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 7,101 to 7,120 of 16,083

NaviAndMii

@Peek-a-boo Haha! Yeah, I've been scouring the web for GT Sport reviews and checking on the status of my GAME (UK) pre-order all morning! ..when I pre-ordered my Switch + Zelda from them, they both arrived (separately) on launch day - so I'm hopeful that GT Sport and my new DualShock 4 will both arrive tomorrow! **fingers crossed!** (..my current DS4 is busted, so if either doesn't arrive I won't be able to play )

On Metacritic, many of the reviews that are popping up are labelled 'In Progress' (I'm assuming that they want the 'full' online experience before committing to a score) ..but the ones that I've glanced over seem pretty much in line with my own experience from the demo/β

I can't wait to get properly in to it - and go fully in-depth with things like the Livery Editor etc (I should probably check out the Driving School too, to see if I can't learn a thing or two! ) ..it's up to you now GAME/Royal Mail/Post-lady - don't let me down!

There are already 331 User Ratings for GT Sport on Metacritic (90 of which are negative) - and the game isn't even out yet! ...[sarcasm]I'm sure they're all genuine[/sarcasm]

So far, 4 Critic Scores are in - 3 positive, 1 mixed (Metascore: 78) - but many 'In Progress' reviews are up too...IGN's Luke Reilly explains why he's not prepared to score the game quite yet in the following Editor’s Note (accompanying his 'Review In Progress'):

"Sony supplied a review copy of Gran Turismo Sport over the weekend but, until today, the servers have been unavailable for most of that time. Since the game appears to require connection to the servers to use any mode except ‘Arcade Mode’ we’ve been unable to progress through the solo campaign normally (or join multiplayer races). A partially-completed save game provided by Sony allowed us to test drive most of these otherwise inaccessible single-player modes while the servers were out of action, but we still want to make more regular progress through the game under normal consumer conditions to build a more informed assessment of typical progression and the game’s economy. We also need to adequately test Sport Mode, the titular competitive online component of GT Sport. We’re aiming to have the review finalised in the next couple of days but, for those of you who want our early impressions, here’s what Luke thinks of Gran Turismo Sport so far."

...which perhaps explains why we haven't seen many firm reviews so far - all good though, the demo/beta seemed like a pretty well-rounded showcase to allow players to make up their own minds - and my mind, at least, settled on 'sold'!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Octane

Another one bites the dust...

Octane

Octane

HOLD ON A MINUTE! Screw you EA...

EA wrote:

Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe. In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design. We will maintain the stunning visuals, authenticity in the Star Wars universe, and focus on bringing a Star Wars story to life. Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore.

No!

Octane

IceClimbers

In their statement about the game, this particular line sticks out:

"It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design."

Translation: This game was a story driven singleplayer game and not a GaaS, so we're shutting Visceral down and are gonna turn it into one if we don't cancel it.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Ralizah

Ouch. Glad I wasn't looking forward to this game.

EA gonna EA.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

IceClimbers

Yeah outside of Sony and Nintendo's 1st party studios, the AAA singleplayer game is largely becoming a thing of the past. Games like Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2, and Prey have all bombed. I get the feeling The Evil Within 2 isn't doing well either. We'll see how well South Park and Wolfenstein do.

I don't like this direction at all. The only GaaS game I play is Splatoon 2. Looks like I'll be sticking to Sony/Nintendo 1st party games and indies in the future for the most part.

Edited on by IceClimbers

Ryu_Niiyama

Geez I swear the news "EA bought our studio" is only good for shareholders. By now that has to translate to "update your resume and start looking for a new job".

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Octane

Visceral is like the sixth or seventh studio they're closing down in recent memory? Bioware Montreal earlier this year and I believe one or two last year as well. It's like they only exist to ruin the entire industry...

Octane

Haru17

IceClimbers wrote:

Yeah outside of Sony and Nintendo's 1st party studios, the AAA singleplayer game is largely becoming a thing of the past. Games like Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2, and Prey have all bombed.

Bethesda has like no service games besides their TCG, they're gonna continue to make the kind of games they do. They can survive pretty well as long as Elder Scrolls does well, and you're forgetting Wolfenstein which will do well for them.

Moreover, Capcom still makes series like Monster Hunter, RE, and DMC — only their fighting games are services. MH might be a bit different from an adventure game, but it's always been a game you can play singleplayer.

Honestly, when was the last time EA or Ubisoft made a singleplayer game that wasn't open world. This isn't anything different from what we've seen the past few years.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haruki_NLI

@Haru17 I can tell you the last time Ubisoft made a single player game that wasn't open world.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

TuVictus

Man, I remember the day I rode home from middle school on the bus and reading about Dead Space when it was in its conceptual stages still. I can't believe they were reduced to the studio that made Dead Space 3. I really feel bad for them, and every other company EA owns. I hope they can work together in the future.

TuVictus

Octane

In about two years we'll be reading the same thing about Bioware, because their lootbox-infested-MMO-Destiny-clone didn't sell 50 million copies.

Octane

Ryu_Niiyama

@Octane Not looking forward to Anthem I take it?

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Haruki_NLI

@Ryu_Niiyama @Octane To be fair, Dead Space 2 sold 4mil and that wasn't even break even. Its nuts. 60 million budget, and 4 million doesn't cover it.

But this is the AAA industry now. This is why season passes and DLC and microtransactions are showing up en masse. Even 4 million sellers aren't enough and that was with the hardware and available scope of LAST generation.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Dezzy

IceClimbers wrote:

Yeah outside of Sony and Nintendo's 1st party studios, the AAA singleplayer game is largely becoming a thing of the past. Games like Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2, and Prey have all bombed.

That's cos none of them seemed interesting. There are plenty other single player AAAs that still do well.
GTA and Red Dead, Soulsborne series, FF15, Resident Evil, The Witcher series, Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter in Japan.

BLP_Software wrote:

To be fair, Dead Space 2 sold 4mil and that wasn't even break even. Its nuts. 60 million budget, and 4 million doesn't cover it.

That's just bad management and budgeting more than anything. FF15 supposedly became profitable at 5 million sales. And that took a decade to make.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Haru17

BLP_Software wrote:

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Alright, so there's one. But that's still more of a gameplay-only game than a story-focused one. I guess they also do South Park, another comedy RPG. My point still stands, companies like EA, Activision, and Ubisoft don't make classic singleplayer games outside of artsy initiatives like A Way Out. All of their big franchises have been open world for a while now.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

NaviAndMii

So, it's now release day and the status of my GT Sport pre-order with GAME (UK) is still 'unshipped' ..I'm not playing it today am I ..ah well, I've always got Splatoon 2 I guess!

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

All of their big franchises have been open world for a while now.

My theory is that it's because it's something that's easy to do marketing for. Given that these companies spend millions on advertising, they want games that are easy to attract people to via adverts.
Story games are the hardest to do this with.
The easiest ways of getting attention for a game is to either have the most advanced graphics, to have a really unique gameplay idea, or to have a bigger and more detailed world than anyone else.
Story on the other hand, is hard to demonstrate in a trailer, and also easy to fake in a trailer. Like that Breath of the Wild trailer that made it look like it would be as story heavy as Skyward Sword. That trailer essentially lied about the nature of the game (as opposed to the E3 2016 trailer which depicted the nature of the game completely accurately)

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

IceClimbers

@Haru17 There's a difference between making games open world and doing GaaS.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic