Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 1,661 to 1,680 of 16,083

rallydefault

CapnPancakes wrote:

I like how people were complaining about Nintendo releasing too many remakes when Ocarina of Time 3D, Starfox 64 3D, and Wind Waker HD came out, but now Sony is making even more pointless remakes. The Last of Us really didn't need to be re-released of the PS4 a year after its original release but nobody complained about that. Now with God of War 3 it again just seems pointless to me to remake a game in glorious 1080p HD when it already looked fine to begin with.

Basically, I feel that remaking games from last-gen is pointless and if Sony is going to remake any games, they're better off porting Vita games to the PS4.

... I can't tell if real lol

Plenty of people ARE complaining... VEHEMENTLY... about what Sony is doing with all of these remakes. Oh, and your last bit ... they are actually remastering a Vita game for the PS4 (Gravity Rush).

rallydefault

Ralizah

@CanisWolfred

Agree to disagree. TLOU has more constrained controls, but they don't feel loose and awkward like every Uncharted game I've ever played (but especially the original). The melee combat is fierce, visceral, and responsive, as opposed to the awkward punching in UC. The shooting feels better, too.

Both games might bum-rush you with enemies at certain points, but there is enough variety in the level design and weapon choice in TLOU that it still feels good to play, whereas the first UC pins you behind chest-high walls or pillars and throws countless enemies with profoundly stupid A.I. at you. Also, enemy variation: humans, normal infected, bloaters, and clickers all have to be approached in different ways to effectively take them down, whereas there is little to no variation in UC enemies.
Plus, TLOU has decent stealth mechanics.

And I'll say this: as much as I detest the horrible environmental puzzles in TLOU, which typically involve ferrying a ladder, plank, or sheet of wood from Point A to Point B, I'd take them any day to the sloppy platforming in the original UC.

I will admit that I do prefer the quippy dialogue and Indiana Jones-esque characters and settings to the post-apocalyptic drama of TLOU, but setting and characters will only get you so far in games like this.

So... again, agree to disagree. I'm not a big fan of TLOU, but it is leagues better than the original UC.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Tasuki

CapnPancakes wrote:

I like how people were complaining about Nintendo releasing too many remakes when Ocarina of Time 3D, Starfox 64 3D, and Wind Waker HD came out, but now Sony is making even more pointless remakes. The Last of Us really didn't need to be re-released of the PS4 a year after its original release but nobody complained about that. Now with God of War 3 it again just seems pointless to me to remake a game in glorious 1080p HD when it already looked fine to begin with.

Basically, I feel that remaking games from last-gen is pointless and if Sony is going to remake any games, they're better off porting Vita games to the PS4.

I can see why Sony is remastering alot of their PS3 exclusives to the PS4 and I believe it's the ratio of Xbox 360 owners that bought a PS4 over an Xbox One. People like me who didn't own a PS3 and missed out on games like TLOU, God of War III and others that are rumored like Journey and Uncharted I - 3 are really glad for these remasters. Yeah I know they are on a PS3 and I can probably get a PS3 cheap enough but some of us can't have both systems. It might be a financial reason or maybe a space reason. With the remasters I can enjoy these great games without having to worry about another system.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

CanisWolfred

Ralizah wrote:

@CanisWolfred

Agree to disagree. TLOU has more constrained controls, but they don't feel loose and awkward like every Uncharted game I've ever played (but especially the original). The melee combat is fierce, visceral, and responsive, as opposed to the awkward punching in UC. The shooting feels better, too.

Both games might bum-rush you with enemies at certain points, but there is enough variety in the level design and weapon choice in TLOU that it still feels good to play, whereas the first UC pins you behind chest-high walls or pillars and throws countless enemies with profoundly stupid A.I. at you. Also, enemy variation: humans, normal infected, bloaters, and clickers all have to be approached in different ways to effectively take them down, whereas there is little to no variation in UC enemies.
Plus, TLOU has decent stealth mechanics.

And I'll say this: as much as I detest the horrible environmental puzzles in TLOU, which typically involve ferrying a ladder, plank, or sheet of wood from Point A to Point B, I'd take them any day to the sloppy platforming in the original UC.

I will admit that I do prefer the quippy dialogue and Indiana Jones-esque characters and settings to the post-apocalyptic drama of TLOU, but setting and characters will only get you so far in games like this.

So... again, agree to disagree. I'm not a big fan of TLOU, but it is leagues better than the original UC.

I guess it's because I play Uncharted because it's a bombastic action game, whereas The Last of Us is trying to be a horror game, but it honestly feels like a terrible horror game. The shooting mechanics are loose, but I just adjusted the settings and then got used to the feel after about two missions. I got halfway through The Last of Us before I finally couldn't take it anymore. It's not a good action game. It's not a good horror game. If anything, it's like a stealth game. And stealth games are terrible by default. So I win.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tasuki

BinaryFragger wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

I can see why Sony is remastering alot of their PS3 exclusives to the PS4 and I believe it's the ratio of Xbox 360 owners that bought a PS4 over an Xbox One. People like me who didn't own a PS3 and missed out on games like TLOU, God of War III and others that are rumored like Journey and Uncharted I - 3 are really glad for these remasters. Yeah I know they are on a PS3 and I can probably get a PS3 cheap enough but some of us can't have both systems. It might be a financial reason or maybe a space reason. With the remasters I can enjoy these great games without having to worry about another system.

Precisely, these remasters are for those who never owned a PS3. Sony earlier said that nearly half of PS4 owners never owned a PS3.

Backwards compatibility would have been another solution but that's another topic...

IIRC one of the biggest problems that third parties had with the PS3 was the specs of the PS3 (sorry not sure how to word it) when compared to the Xbox 360 or a PC. It was a nightmare for them to work with. The PS4 on the other hand is similar now to the Xbox One so it would be easier for third party companies to port games back and forth between the systems rather then make a specific version for each one from the ground up. This is why backwards compatibility is not possible on the PS4.

My Backlog

CanisWolfred

I think you're the architecture and the processor, Tasuki? Because yeah, it was well-documented that developers had problems making games for the PS3 at first...

Anyways, yeah, similar specs and architecture between the two machines should mean an easier time for developers, but they're different from the PS3 and 360, so no B/C.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tasuki

Honestly I don't get the big deal with backwards compatibility. Look at all the game systems that ever came out and only a handful had backwards compatibility. Atari 5200 (I believe I might be wrong there) PS2, PS3 (the early models) Xbox 360 (kinda sorta) Wii, Wii U. Yeah I can also mention GBA, GBC, DS and the 3DS as well but still that's only a handful. So why does everyone act like it's a requirement?

My Backlog

Blast

I'm a fan of Sony but I gotta say that God of War 3 coming to PS4 just highlights Sony's struggling financial state. They can't even port the real God of War collection but is throwing out a port to a game you can find incredibly cheap on PS3. And then I bet Uncharted collection is coming which will be cool and kinda sad at the same time. Mostly cool, though.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

shingi_70

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought this announcement was weird. If no the older games I was expecting to get an announcement of Ascension as well. This is probably to tide over the fanbase and put hype behind the God of War 4 announcement at this years E3.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Gamer83

Even as a big PlayStation guy I saw the God of War news and thought to myself 'WTF?!" I'm not a huge fan of remastering to begin with but I understand why some games get them and I even buy some like DoA 5 and DmC since I missed those. Or TLoU and GTA V because work was actually put into those. First of all there's already been one GoW Collection so only one remastered game here is bs. On top of that, it sounds like no work is being put in and this isn't like Uncharted which people are actually asking for, or Tearaway which is a game getting a second chance on a system people actually like. This just seems like a pointless waste of time. Now if it was a collection of 1, 2, 3 and Ascension for $40 or $50 to build hype for 4? Different story.

Gamer83

Blast

I also love how people are defending God of War 3 for PS4 by saying, "All the Xbox and Nintendo guys who didn't play this on PS3 can finally play it on PS4! So shut up!!!" But... How does the latest entry of a series benefits a newcomer to the series? Just port the collection... Sheesh.

Master of the Hype Train

WebHead

Yeah there's a lot of remasters but like someone said they're for people who HAVEN'T played those games. And here's a hint: you DON'T have to buy them.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Grumblevolcano

Tasuki wrote:

Honestly I don't get the big deal with backwards compatibility. Look at all the game systems that ever came out and only a handful had backwards compatibility. Atari 5200 (I believe I might be wrong there) PS2, PS3 (the early models) Xbox 360 (kinda sorta) Wii, Wii U. Yeah I can also mention GBA, GBC, DS and the 3DS as well but still that's only a handful. So why does everyone act like it's a requirement?

Simply because without it, the console library is either ridiculously small or has pretty much nothing but HD remasters (Xbox One and PS4). This issue wasn't present in the 90s as remasters were not common (Super Mario All Stars is the only one that comes to mind), but currently Microsoft and Sony are full on abusing it (Nintendo doesn't count for the most part as most of the remasters they do are from the original being on a home console to the remaster being on a handheld).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

In fairness, considering how many PS4 owners previously owned an Xbox 360 as their primary console (including moi), it's a smart move to acquaint these new users with last-gen I.P.s. Not to mention remasters help build a decent library while the exclusives are being made. Bloodborne will likely be the start of several years of high-quality Playstation exclusives.

But there is no better way of avoiding the pain of a console's slim early years than backwards compatibility, I agree. It carried me through many of the 3DS' rough months early on.

Edited on by Ralizah

CanisWolfred

I guess they want people to use Playstation Now for the first two games, if/when they're available. I still find that questionable, though.

Or more likely they think no one plays God of War for its story. Which is at least half-true...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

I'm certainly not paying for a remaster of just the third game. What lunacy. If they release a proper edition with all the games on PS4 I might consider picking it up, though.

Blast

I heard God of War: Ascension might be coming to PS4, too. That's just a rumor though.

Master of the Hype Train

CanisWolfred

Note to self:

April 7th, Pick up alongside Etrian Mystery Dungeon:

Bloodborne
Dark Souls II: Sins of the Scholars
Borderlands: The Handsome Collection

Bring $250...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Gamer83

Maybe it was in an article or two and I missed it but I don't ever remember seeing where Sony is getting these numbers that most people who owned a PS4 didn't own a PS3. I'm sure with 20 mil+ having been sold that there's plenty who didn't own the previous console but I'm also sure there's a good number who did own the PS3, and the PlayStations before that. I just want to know where Sony is pulling these numbers from or if it's just bsing to make up excuses for the ridiculous number of remasters? I don't rule out the latter.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic