Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 Fan Thread

Posts 12,481 to 12,500 of 12,747

Wavey84

Do you guys go physical or digital with your PS4 games?....I'm honestly on the fence. I picked up a PS4 Pro last December, i now have about 25 digital games, and only 1 that's physical. It's annoying because There's deals happening all the time, and i just can't resist. Street Fighter V: arcade edition was $7 CAD, same with Rayman Legends, DOOM, Unravel, Disney Afternoon collection, just to name a few.

And like thousands have already echoed, I absolutely love the convenience of selecting any game from the main menu and not having to get up and swap discs. Also, PS4 cases and the majority of the box art overall just arent that attractive in my opinion. Nintendo Switch cases on the other hand are sleeker, more compact and i love how they use little carts which drastically cuts down on loading times which makes the nintendo switch extremely snappy.

I dont know, i tend to flip flop with physical and digital. i dont really display my games, only the oldschool retro stuff, anything past the SNES goes on my videogame closet

Edited on by Wavey84

Wavey84

Zuljaras

@Wavey84 I am 100% physical on my PS4. And I do not regret it at all. I love physical games.

But I don't mind digital for other people. For example Castlevania Collection is only digital and there is no way to get it physical.

Also some free game son the Xbox One are digital for me like Castlevania SotN and the Backwards compatible games (the disk is only for DRM key).

Zuljaras

redd214

@Wavey84 100% digital for me. Only physical ps4 games I buy are yearly sports games

redd214

Wavey84

@redd214

What about Switch? Ugh, i'm such a flip flopper. there's a slight chance i might just go back to physical fully knowing that i just blew at least $200 on digital games only for them to get deleted.

Yet it's different for me because i dont display my modern games, they get stacked in a closet. anything 16 bits all the way down to the atari 2600 get the spot light hehe.

Wavey84

Wavey84

@Zuljaras
A missed opportunity from konami in regards to releasing the Castlevania and Contra collection digital only. I'll never forgive them for not including Rondo of blood either Even though i have that along with Symphony of the Night in Castlevania requime on the PS4, ahem digitally. shocker.

I was thinking of just going digital exclusively to playstation, but yeah i'm still un-frikkin-decided.

Wavey84

redd214

@Wavey84 switch were 50/50 really depends on the game itself. We have multiple switches but some games (Smash, MK8D, etc) make more sense digital. I'm not a collector at all

Edited on by redd214

redd214

NotTelevision

@Wavey84 If I get a PS5 I’m curious if all the digital games will work. If it is physical you can always keep it around or sell it, but with digital games you don’t have that choice. So it’s up to you if you want to take that chance, because some of those games might be locked to that console forever.

Not the worst thing really but it’s something to consider if you want to upgrade to PS5 later.

I’m also mostly digital with only 8 boxed PS4 games at the moment.

NotTelevision

Wavey84

@redd214

i'm not a collector either, i just buy what i'm interested in playing or usually anything that i have nostalgia towards, even if the game is considered craptastic by the masses.

somebody here needs to make my physical or digital PS4 descision for me. lol i kid i kid

Wavey84

Wavey84

@NotTelevision

I'll definitely be getting PS5 on launch day. i'm very and i mean very behind with Switch and PS4 right now, along with the Wii U. i've taken quite a long break from gaming and i've missed out on a lot. also, i'm pretty sure sony confirmed that all digital PS4 games can be transfered to the PS5.

the only way you can lose a digital copy or copies of your digital game(s) is if it's no longer available for sale online and you wind up deleting your digital copy, or if the Server(Wii or wii U eshop for ex) shuts down and again you delete you digital copy, or if your PS4 completely craps out, hard drive gets nuked and those games are no longer available for download.

Ideally for me, i'd love to have a cross between physical and digital. I would love to have a physical game case, but with a digital code inside. you get a blend of both worlds. Besides, who likes game CD/discs anyways? Carts are fantastic but i've never cared for CD/Bluray discs.

Edited on by Wavey84

Wavey84

Zuljaras

@Wavey84 Actually I can't really give you advice since I am diehard physical collector. I am only digital on my PC. My consoles are 99% pure physical. If it is not physical or it is half-physical I just don't buy it

But I don't see something really wrong with having both physical and digital games. It might benefit you because sometimes you will find cheaper physical games and sometimes cheaper digital. All the benefit to you.

Zuljaras

Ralizah

If I grab a PS4 game at release, it'll be physical. It's just easier to install from a disc as opposed to downloading it from the internet.

Considering so few of my PS4 games are purchased at launch, though, 95% of my library is digital thanks to PSN's common and steep digital sales.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter too much to me. PS4 games are just installer discs and physical DRM like you'd get on PC, and they're almost all so reliant on patches and updates that there'll not be much to really enjoy when PSN support for the PS4 is ultimately discontinued. So collecting them isn't really appealing to me like collecting Wii U, 3DS, PS2, etc. games.

Also, PS4 games almost all drop in value really quickly, so they don't even appeal on the resellability scale like Nintendo games do.

Edited on by Ralizah

Playing depressing games alone in my cold, dark room <3

NotTelevision

@Wavey84 Yeah if that’s right then it’s definitely tempting for me to just sell the PS4 and upgrade to 5 sooner rather than later. Not sure quite yet.

Like you, the PSN sales are just too good to pass up and the hard drive on PS4 is big enough to hold a lot of digital games. There are a handful of games that I bought digitally and didn’t care for. I probably would’ve already traded them in if I had the disc, but I guess it was worth it because they were so inexpensive to begin with.

NotTelevision

RR529

I played Firewall Zero Hour for the first time last night.

Despite it being a VR game I didn't have an issue finding a match (it probably helps that it's one of this month's PS+ games, and is the most prominent game of it's type on PSVR), and it's actually pretty fun.

Funny story though, even though I'm a guy I decided to go with a female avatar, and the moment I joined the lobby the other players (who had mics) started talking about how nice my "bitties" were. It was both hilarious and sad in equal measure.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Wavey84

Anybody else not a big fan of the Batman Arkham games? I bought the Return to Arkham PS4 collection a DK(digital sale cheapy') and couldn't stand Dark knight....Visually, the drab rustic city looked unappealing in comparison to how it looked in Arkham City.

They chose gritty realism over a more comic book styalized approach and I for one wasn't a fan, plus the combat was just bizarre...seeing batman unaturally glide across the ground at about 20 feet towards the next enemie like a heat seaking missle was venturing into anime territory which didn't gel with the games overall realistic look . Performance wise imo it didnt run or even look as good as the other two suprisingly. I just couldn't get into it. Wasn't for me. 😕

City was more enjoyable, but even then it just wasn't really my cup of tea. Like asylum, the remastered visuals look great and the framerate seems to be pushing past 30 thankfully, in the 40's I think.

Asylum, I found the best of the three. But even then I'm nearly always turned off by anything super hero related so it automatically has that going against it, but I decided to take a chance. I've put about 2 hours into Asylum just for kicks as if I were demoing it and it's pretty solid. I guess I feel far less underwhelmed being confined to indoor areas along with its semi metroid styled approach rather than being stuck in a sand boxed styled city. PLUS asylum has the best atmosphere and feels more comic booky.

Either way I could take it or leave it. It's probably the only game in my collection that I'm not hell bent on finishing. 😧

Edited on by Wavey84

Wavey84

Wavey84

@Ralizah
A little confused about the comment you made towards PS4 games mostly being reliant on patches and updates. I mean, once youve purchased the game digitally and have received all of the games updates and patches wouldn't you still have all of those updates and patches tethered to your digital copy once the PSN server is shut down?

I guess it becomes an issue if you're buying a physical 'vanilla' version of a PS4 game after the server is shut down because then you obviously can't get the updates and patches.

Edited on by Wavey84

Wavey84

Wavey84

@NotTelevision

If only they offered a demo for every game they're selling digitally. also, like I pointed out earlier I'd rather have these games digitally but also have actual Cases. Case + digital code would be perfect for me.

As for games that i was ultimately unhappy or mixed with.....

Resident evil 0 remaster
Wipeout omega HD collection
Far cry New dawn
Batman Arkham dark knight
Devil may cry HD collection
Layers of fear

Fortunately the majority didn't cost too much. Resident evil 0 remaster is the weakest entry in the traditional RE series by a land slide. With its horrible off the rails ungrounded plot, terrible cookie cutter villain that looks like he was peeled out of a final fantasy game, after the train setting the game goes down hill fast, enemies are uninspired and Rebecca makes for one God awful unconvincing lead. Item character swapping and double item management juggling felt like a bit of a double edged sword. I've beaten RE0 back on the GameCube(or Wii was it?)and wanted to see how the remastered visuals look, so....i mean It's not bad by any means, it just a slightly above average if that, RE game which has always left me feeling conflicted.

But ya, I kept the remake remaster instead! That one is leagues better than the former! Also, the new widescreen mode may be aesthetically pleasing, sort of, but its literally just pan and scan, which makes the backgrounds look blurrier and blown up, plus the top and bottom of the image ate cut off. OG 4:3 all the way.

Edited on by Wavey84

Wavey84

Ralizah

@Wavey84 Yes. And then it's reliant on that particular hard drive surviving long term.

Wavey84

@Ralizah
For sure. Once those games become unavailable or the server shuts down, you better be praying that your PS4 doesn't crap out or get stolen.

Another big downside to going digital. Eek!

Edited on by Wavey84

Wavey84

Ralizah

@Wavey84 Well, my broader point was that so many big games launch sort of broken absent patches/updates now that physical collecting has lost a lot of its luster for me. I mean, you might have a shell of a game you can still play, but who wants to play something like the latest Assassin's Creed sans updates?

The only PS4 games REALLY worth collecting physically for the sake of preservation, imo, is stuff like Limited Run Games or special editions where the discs come with all of the necessary patches and updates.

Gamers of a certain age are very stuck on the materialistic quality of gaming, like having a physical collection to show off to people, but the industry at large is largely outgrowing the need for physical media at all. It won't disappear, but it's also leading inexorably to a very changed industry and, in the future, gamers of very different habits and expectations.

I'm willing to bet that, even at this point, if you tracked the purchasing habits of zoomers vs millennials with regard to gaming, you'd probably notice some pronounced, generational differences.

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

I've played the vanilla versions of most games I own, and they tend to work perfectly fine. I haven't played many Ubisoft/Bethasda games, so it may be different for those games. But Sony stuff is usually fine without patches.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic